1167 10 2017-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Battleicious
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25092 ft
United States

Hey everyone,

I had a recent scare on the 4th. I was hovering maybe 100-200 feet in the air, possibly less and out about 600 feet when my Mavic suddenly flipped but instantly recovered. Gave me quite the fright as I just got this thing. I was looking at the footage and it shows it basically upside down for a second then recovers. Almost like a motor went out for a few seconds. Im hoping someone can show me how to open the logs files that I just put on my computer to see if I can figure out what happened during flight. Maybe the motor stopped, a GPS glitch, or something else. I wish this had audio like my previous quads that I have built.

On a side note that was also alarming, but totatlly my fault, was that while it was hovering i saw what appeared to be it drift and movement on its own. This freaked me out until I realized someone else had either a mavic or a phantom nearby and i must have looked away for a second and tracked the wrong mavic. It was low light so I only saw the red and green. Boy was that scary, then a few minutes later it drops and the second fright of the night happened. I brought it back right after. In one of my videos I even saw the other quad fly right past me maybe 30 feet away. Pretty strange to get traffic at this location. There was a third quad that was much lower and farther away. I dont think it was a collision as I see no damage and in a video i didnt post had the other quad fly away from me and land.

Anyways ill post the video of it flipping. Pay no attention to quality it was my first night flight and Im still learning the best way to focus. I was over a lake so if anything happened no people would have been injured, only a few people even live in this new residentail track that use to be farm land.

https://youtu.be/On-SblMcHCM
2017-7-7
Use props
Battleicious
lvl.1
United States

Latest firmware, no errors other than the front facing sensors werent on due to low light conditions. Solid link to controller.
2017-7-7
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Sounds like one of those gimbal twitches, the mavic didn't flip, the gimbal probably did....
2017-7-7
Use props
Battleicious
lvl.1
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-7 15:37
Sounds like one of those gimbal twitches, the mavic didn't flip, the gimbal probably did....

If that is the case I would imagine the log file wouldn't show a decrease in altitude. I will have to check.  I sure hope its the gimbal, still alarming.
2017-7-7
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Battleicious Posted at 2017-7-7 15:36
If that is the case I would imagine the log file wouldn't show a decrease in altitude. I will have to check.  I sure hope its the gimbal, still alarming.

If it's upside down and it's not the gimble then your compas or IMU needs checking, I've never seen a mavic upside down whilst in the air....
2017-7-7
Use props
Wacker2611
lvl.2
Flight distance : 254075 ft
United Kingdom

It's almost definitely the gimbal rather than the Mavic. If the Mavic was to flip it's definitely going down. I had a similar one off experience a couple of months ago, not happened again.
2017-7-7
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

This looks like the gimbal just moved as I had a similar issue two times.  The first time I was looking directly at my Mavic which was only about 30 feet  away. Of course I freaked out and landed an rebooted everything.
2017-7-8
Use props
Battleicious
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all the input. Makes me feel a little better knowing it is the gimbal versus the quad itself.
2017-7-8
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
United States

I just got back from flying and my gimball went crazy again and on two different flights with two different batteries!  Does anybody know what I should do? I did notice it stopped recording before this occurred but I could see it on the live view on my iPad.
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

rreindl Posted at 2017-7-8 13:19
I just got back from flying and my gimball went crazy again and on two different flights with two different batteries!  Does anybody know what I should do? I did notice it stopped recording before this occurred but I could see it on the live view on my iPad.

Does anybody know what I should do?

Well, you can make it less frequent by reducing the resolution of your video, since the most trigger seems to be closing out one file / starting a new one, but other than that I doubt there's anything you can do besides wait for DJI to identify and (hopefully) fix the problem.
2017-7-8
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-8 13:31
Does anybody know what I should do?

Well, you can make it less frequent by reducing the resolution of your video, since the most trigger seems to be closing out one file / starting a new one, but other than that I doubt there's anything you can do besides wait for DJI to identify and (hopefully) fix the problem.

I already had it at the lower resolution. I just did a IMU and gimball calibration. Next up will be a compass calibration just to see if any of this helps (a long shot I know).  I did look at my after flight log and I see no strange behavior on the flight dynamics only that the gimball indicator on the right was not highlighted at the time this occurred.  

Yes, lets hope DJI will see this post and respond soon.
2017-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules