Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Illegal to "catch" a drone?
1509 12 2017-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdbce68d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States

According to:
http://dronelawjournal.com/model-aircraft-operations/
You must operate under AMA guideline to fly a drone recreationally in the USA. Does this mean DJI is condoning breaking the law in the USA with the "hand launch/catch" features?

Per the AMA rules:
“Hand-catch” landings are prohibited. Rather than landing them upon the ground, some operators prefer to hand catch their multi-rotors, either all of the time or under certain conditions. This is strictly forbidden under the AMA Safety Code.
See AMA Safety Code paragraph B(7)) — “Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual.”

2017-7-7
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Well different countries different regulations
2017-7-7
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Well different countries different regulations

Don't "catch" it if you are in the US ;)
2017-7-7
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

The AMA is NOT a governing body, thus these are just safety guidelines..  I fly my drones and fixed wings at an AMA field, thus I am suppose to adhere to these guidelines.
2017-7-8
Use props
fansdbce68d7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349793 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-8 01:48
The AMA is NOT a governing body, thus these are just safety guidelines..  I fly my drones and fixed wings at an AMA field, thus I am suppose to adhere to these guidelines.

According to dronelawjournal, you MUST fly in accordance with the AMA rules at all times, whether you are a member or not.
2017-7-8
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansdbce68d7 Posted at 2017-7-8 09:53
According to dronelawjournal, you MUST fly in accordance with the AMA rules at all times, whether you are a member or not.

Once again...the AMA , which I am a member of, is NOT a governing body.  They are the equivalent to the NRA.  There's not a snowballs chance in hell that DJI, who also lobbies for less stringent rules would market the Spark for "Palm landing" if there was a FAA rule against it.
2017-7-8
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

“…model aircraft may be flow consistently with Section 336 and agency guidelines at altitudes above 400 feet when following a community-based organization’s safety guidelines.”  As per the FAA
2017-7-8
Use props
SMacDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1700981 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hand catch all the time.  There is NO rule against it and if you know what you are doing it is safer for you and your drone.
2017-7-8
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansdbce68d7 Posted at 2017-7-8 09:53

Either dronelawjournal is totally wrong or you have misinterpreted it. AMA has zero legal authority over drones, they just publish guidelines which don't have to be followed. The FAA rules are the only thing we have to pay any attention to here in the U.S.
2017-7-8
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-8 12:05
Either dronelawjournal is totally wrong or you have misinterpreted it. AMA has zero legal authority over drones, they just publish guidelines which don't have to be followed. The FAA rules are the only thing we have to pay any attention to here in the U.S.

Well, I did further research because I was curious,  dronelawjournal refers to Part 101. I found a legal brief summarizing Part 101- balloons, kites, para sails, no drones mentioned, so they are totally incorrect.  
The FAA's website says that recreational drones fall under Public Law 112-95 Section 336. They do say 'Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines'  - pretty vague, my interpretation would be community based means local laws. They also say for more info, refer to the Fly for Fun page. There you'll find the usual stuff - under 400 feet, VLOS, not over people, etc. No where does it say you cannot hand catch.
2017-7-8
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-8 13:23
Well, I did further research because I was curious,  dronelawjournal refers to Part 101. I found a legal brief summarizing Part 101- balloons, kites, para sails, no drones mentioned, so they are totally incorrect.  
The FAA's website says that recreational drones fall under Public Law 112-95 Section 336. They do say 'Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines'  - pretty vague, my interpretation would be community based means local laws. They also say for more info, refer to the Fly for Fun page. There you'll find the usual stuff - under 400 feet, VLOS, not over people, etc. No where does it say you cannot hand catch.

The whole thing kinda jumps back & forth.  The FAA cite nationally recognized community based organizations, which there is only one in existence (AMA).  Then I stumbled across this:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org ... /07/FAA-400feet.pdf
2017-7-8
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

See below for some other contradictions between the FAA rules/guide lines and and the AMA safety rules.

Night flights are permitted. As long as the model aircraft is equipped with appropriate lighting to provide the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times, you may fly in darkness. AMA

Flight altitudes are unrestricted, unless you are within three miles of an airport AMA

First person view (“FPV”) operation is permitted.AMA
2017-7-8
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-8 13:23

I saw this in a Youtube video. Item #7 in particular caught my attention.

2018-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules