Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aircraft totally unstable and aggressive after recent firmware up...
116641 1921 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Hello everyone,

I'm opening this thread for all of us who suffers from the - shaking, aggressive, wobbly, unstable behavior of the drone when hovers or in flight.

1. If anyone has any solution to resolve or to improve the stability, please write it here.

2. If there is any way to downgrade the firmware and installing the new one all over again, please share it.

3. Please write what calibration did you do.

4. If someone can post a video of the drone itself in a low altitude being unstable, it would be the best.
2017-7-8
Use props
Barnston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81936 ft
United Kingdom

I am experiencing a number of issues after the new update.
1 Instability in manual flight
2 Terrain following, doesn't
3 A lot of wobble when using the new 'draw path' mode (whatever it's called)
4 A number of high wind warnings on a calm(ish) day
5 Video transmission dropout between drone and controller, even at short range
6 The drone 'feels' more sensitive to the controls (a bit skittish)

2017-7-8
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although the problem I am seeing is more subtle than what Moshe is seeing, it is still brand new to this update.  The drone "bucks" once in a while. Here is a 60 second video which shows the problem with the bucking of the P4 after successfully completing all update, IMU and Compass calibrations, etc.  

The bucking motion is on the subtle side and the prop sound blocks a bit of the more obvious high pitch sound that also happens when bucking, but it is abrupt enough to appear in any video I shoot with the P4, stopping me from doing professional work until this is fixed.

There was a subtle breeze, not anything any of us would consider an issue.  Though I will say that it appears the problem is a bit more obviously when the bird is being pushed by the breeze, as well as when it is in flying in any direction.  I didn't touch the sticks once during this video.  The ground is asphalt and plenty bright, with plenty of debris on the ground for the VPS to grab onto.  I set the exposure to the white P4, which makes the rest of the frame look much darker than it actually is.  Plenty of light and texture for the VPS to work.
This problem appears to be as evident at 50 feet as it is a 5 feet.
UPDATE:  I also notice that a gentle breeze pushes the P4 WAY off course as it flies in straight line.  Instead of the drone tilting slightly to hold its position, it drifts.  I actually thought I might have switched to ATTI mode in the way it drifted.  

2017-7-8
Use props
BVB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 484652 ft
United States

Barnston Posted at 2017-7-8 11:28

Agreed. Experiencing the same issues with my P4 and recent firmware upgrade.
2017-7-8
Use props
fans22a232c7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168107 ft
United States

Mine too, shakey and it wont go over 90 feet now. Was working fine before upgrade.
2017-7-8
Use props
F.KOK
Captain
Flight distance : 18878960 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

Hello my Phantom 4 also shakes when I fly in a straight line forward, sometimes aggressively, after the update. The update process was perfect. All calibrations were done. Everything else on the phantom works great except for this shaking sometimes. When I fly slowly in P, S, A or in Tripod mode its fine but as soon as I fly a little bit faster it starts shaking. I put on new propellers and the mounting plates were fine. There must be something with the output of the motors after the update, also note when you start the Drone it runs slower as before the update. Hope it can be fix soon because it is dangerous to fly like this.
2017-7-8
Use props
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
  • >>>
Israel

Barnston Posted at 2017-7-8 11:28

Thanks for your input.
I experience the same.
About section 6, I believe it's because the new fw changed the drone control settings to be more sensitive. You can adjust them to a lower values. But it has nothing with the instability..
2017-7-8
Use props
F.KOK
Captain
  • >>>
Namibia

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2017-7-8 13:02
Thanks for your input.
I experience the same.
About section 6, I believe it's because the new fw changed the drone control settings to be more sensitive. You can adjust them to a lower values. But it has nothing with the instability..

I have changed all the settings you can to low numbers like before to have slow and smooth moves but as soon as I fly a bit fast it starts shaking
2017-7-8
Use props
Moto1981
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4502812 ft
Poland

I have the same problem after update dron now is unusefull. help me in assistant 2 is not posible downgrade
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My only glitch today in about one hour of flight time was a Gimbal that flipped over to one side (corner of landing gear seen) followed by a 3 second loss of video feed. That was my only negative point in all three flights (3 batteries).
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These are the five calibrations I carried out after upgrading the aircraft and batteries using DJI Assistant 2 (latest version) and the RC as an OTA download via home wifi.

There are five calibrations on the P4:-

IMU (level surface, NOTE:- No cooling off period and performed at approx' 20C ambient air temperature). IMU warm up time is quick.

Gimbal (just after IMU);

Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2 V1.07 latest);

RC sticks (with aircraft off),

and finally compass (in an open area (not over reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference).
2017-7-8
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Did all steps and still same issue. Dji where are you?
2017-7-8
Use props
Moto1981
lvl.1
Poland

Dji   help us we need  get bacK working drons
2017-7-8
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Canada

take a look
2017-7-8
Use props
Moto1981
lvl.1
Poland

Bad  ,  my phantomn 4 flayig like yours
2017-7-8
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Moto1981 Posted at 2017-7-8 14:01
Bad  ,  my phantomn 4 flayig like yours

I'm dreading my first flight after the update now...

It looks to be quite punishing on the shell and apt to increase the chances of stress fractures!
2017-7-8
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Canada

Yes it's bad.
Can someone confirm if he's getting firmware version on the rc controller about page. Mine said firmware current on the overall status but no display of the current firmware on the About page, can see for RC, app, controller S/N.

Ty
2017-7-8
Use props
F.KOK
Captain
  • >>>
Namibia

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-8 13:54
take a look P4 is unstable after the new firmware

Mine is doing the same, I was flying in no wind, when I am flying sideways it is perfect but shakes when going forward and backwards.
2017-7-8
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-8 14:12
Yes it's bad.
Can someone confirm if he's getting firmware version on the rc controller about page. Mine said firmware current on the overall status but no display of the current firmware on the About page, can see for RC, app, controller S/N.

I can see the firmware versions for the controller and the a/c on the "..." "About" screen.  They disappear the moment I switch off the P4 so seems only to be visible when ready to fly in the usual manner.
2017-7-8
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Canada

G Davidson Posted at 2017-7-8 14:20
I can see the firmware versions for the controller and the a/c on the "..." "About" screen.  They disappear the moment I switch off the P4 so seems only to be visible when ready to fly in the usual manner.

The FW version for my P4 is just not visible even ready to fly or in fly.
2017-7-8
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

F.KOK Posted at 2017-7-8 12:34
Hello my Phantom 4 also shakes when I fly in a straight line forward, sometimes aggressively, after the update. The update process was perfect. All calibrations were done. Everything else on the phantom works great except for this shaking sometimes. When I fly slowly in P, S, A or in Tripod mode its fine but as soon as I fly a little bit faster it starts shaking. I put on new propellers and the mounting plates were fine. There must be something with the output of the motors after the update, also note when you start the Drone it runs slower as before the update. Hope it can be fix soon because it is dangerous to fly like this.

That pretty much sums up the situation with my own drone as detailed in the actual firmware update thread.
I successfully updated the RC with the DJi Go4 app, then the drone using the latest DJI Assistant. I then updated each battery using DJI Assistant.
I have calibrated the IMU, compass and VPS and all are OK according to the DJI Go4 app.

Like others, the first thing I noticed is that idling seemed to be a little slower and quieter (that was a good change).
When moving forward or backward, though, the drone became extremely unstable, tilting violently backwards and forwards. I could hear the motors rapidly changing speed in a very aggressive manner.  At one stage, I thought it was going to invert.

It occurs at any time when moving forward and, to a lesser extent when hovering with even the slightest of breezes. At times, it tilts violently backwards and forwards at an angle which must be approaching 45 degrees, even without making any changes to the RC controls.

I have flown this P4 and my previous P3A for hundreds of flights so I'm very familiar with what is normal.
The violent wobbling after this latest firmware update makes it virtually unusable.
2017-7-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Yep, me too, I thought everyone was overreacting, as they often do on this forum. But the fligh characteristics are crazy at times!  Mine seems to happen primarily when shifting altitude. If I drop altitude it almost sounds as though I've lost all power for a split second and it wobbles. BADLY! Haven't tested enough yet but it 100% is not as it should be. Idle speed is much lower too. Hope this can be resolved. Feeling quite pessimistic.
2017-7-8
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-8 14:23
Yep, me too, I thought everyone was overreacting, as they often do on this forum. But the fligh characteristics are crazy at times!  Mine seems to happen primarily when shifting altitude. If I drop altitude it almost sounds as though I've lost all power for a split second and it wobbles. BADLY! Haven't tested enough yet but it 100% is not as it should be. Idle speed is much lower too. Hope this can be resolved. Feeling quite pessimistic.

I'm hopeful but not optimistic about getting a solution in any acceptable timeframe.
I have forced a complete refresh of the drone firmware last night using DJI Go4 (I used DJI Assistant for the initial update) and will test it again today but I have very little confidence in that resolving anything.
I also neglected to mention in my previous post that I also tried using Litchi but the drone still exhibited exactly the same violent wobbling.
2017-7-8
Use props
M109
Second Officer

New Zealand

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-8 14:21
The FW version for my P4 is just not visible even ready to fly or in fly.

Turn on the drone before the RC and the version number will show up.
2017-7-8
Use props
M109
Second Officer

New Zealand

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-8 14:23

Definitely very unstable flight and DJI need to fix this ASAP drone is totally useless and unusable with this firmware, the beta firmware was far better than this.
2017-7-8
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Australia

M109 Posted at 2017-7-8 14:40
Definitely very unstable flight and DJI need to fix this ASAP drone is totally useless and unusable with this firmware, the beta firmware was far better than this.

What makes things even worse is that neither the DJI Go4 app nor the DJI Assistant gives you  the option  to revert back to the previous firmware.  The only option is to reapply this same firmware.
2017-7-8
Use props
M109
Second Officer

New Zealand

JockC Posted at 2017-7-8 15:01
What makes things even worse is that neither the DJI Go4 app nor the DJI Assistant gives you  the option  to revert back to the previous firmware.  The only option is to reapply this same firmware.

Exactly, why can't they give us the option to revert back
2017-7-8
Use props
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
  • >>>
Israel

P.S,
Can anyone please check if he also unable to shut the motors off with pressing rth and the left stick to the bottom right?
2017-7-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

We've got a lot of people definitively saying that the flight characteristics are unstable. It would be good if we could get some experienced pilots stating that everything seems normal too. Something is causing this. We all have the same bird, same firmware... so we need a baseline to understand where things are going wrong. I'm going to test more tomorrow.
2017-7-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My nephew, who has never seen a drone up close in his life, said "why is it shaking like that",
2017-7-8
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

What happens if you use Litchi or Autopilot?  Does it still fly with the shakes with those apps?

Wonder if the new IMU calibration of using all six sides has something to do with it?
2017-7-8
Use props
M109
Second Officer

New Zealand

Also noticed VPS shows height of 0.1m when drone sitting on the ground which is about the distance from the ultrasonic sensors to the ground, used to be 0.0m with previous firmware
2017-7-8
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Canada

Litchi give the same issue, just unstable
2017-7-8
Use props
Heyward83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18156 ft
United Kingdom

I am sure Dji will release a fix for these issue in about 6 months!! Not like we had to wait that long for this update!
2017-7-8
Use props
fans22a232c7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 168107 ft
United States

Hey guys, I upgraded the DJI App and it started working normally.  The release notes tell you you need to upgrade to the latest app.
2017-7-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

OK, now that I've seen the videos, I'll confirm that my P4 has the same problem. I discounted it as an issue, as it was a strong wind yesterday and I assumed the P4 was just having trouble maintaining the hover. It seemed OK in flight though, but it the weather is OK I'll take the P4 out and be more watchful. I was wondering if it does it with VPS turned off - which would suggest it's the positioning system if it just does it just during hover - but I'm clutching at straws, I know...
2017-7-8
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

M109 Posted at 2017-7-8 15:23
Exactly, why can't they give us the option to revert bac

Because older firmware/software is more vulnerable to hacks.
Those hacks are constantly being developed in oder to remove restrictions of any kind, usually relying on previous software.

This makes me wondering when trojans/viruses will hit our drone hobby/business:
I'm waiting for the first person to report a "wannacry" message on his screen while the drone is far out:
Wire $$$ in Bitcoins or your bird will drop!

2017-7-8
Use props
bugbee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 167556 ft

United States

Yes, wobbles TOO much in hover after update. VPS is off
2017-7-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-8 17:03
Because older firmware/software is more vulnerable to hacks.
Those hacks are constantly being developed in oder to remove restrictions of any kind, usually relying on previous software.

Well, it could only happen if you downloaded and installed an update from someone other than DJI - and you would have to be pretty stupid to do that right?

I mean, the DJI updates are dangerous enough on their own.
2017-7-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Guys, as tempting (and as easy) as it is to bash DJI, I'd recommend we stick close to the facts about this issue as possible. We need to demonstrate that this is a clear and present problem that needs to be resolved quickly and the best way to do that is to document the issue as extensively and concisely as possible.
2017-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules