Considering Mavic Pro, convince me
1852 23 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_6bGZ2V1
New
Flight distance : 59826 ft
United States

Long story short, I have ~$1500 in BestBuy rewards, looking to buy either the Mavic Pro Fly More combo or a GoPro Karma. Went to BestBuy today and talked to a sales person, aside from the specs he could offer no personal information as he had never flown one before. While I was there a customer who had both the Spark and Mavic offered his opinions and thoughts. The gist is that the Mavic is everything you could want in a drone but the software, specifically the "data mining" was far too invasive so he was returning his on privacy grounds. However he said that he would buy another Mavic but not at full retail to "compensate" him for the privacy invasion (this is him not me). He also said that from a tech/flying perspective he couldn't find fault with the Mavic and said it was wonderful to fly. I also went to the local hobby shop and they stopped carrying DJI products due to lack of support.

I realize asking in a manufacturer owned and brand specific forum may not yield totally unbiased answers but here I am. Please push me over the edge and buy the Mavic, or tell me that I'm a fool and DJI is evil and I shouldn't waste my money.

Go.
2017-7-8
Use props
fansa48b05cc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8379 ft
United States

The GoPro Karma is loaded with problems. Basically it is a great camera attached to a crappy drone. As far as privacy, there is
2017-7-8
Use props
fansa48b05cc
lvl.1
United States

The GoPro Karma is loaded with problems. Basically it is a great camera attached to a crappy drone. As far as privacy, there is none anymore. DJI is mining the same data as everybody else. Oh, and by they way, there is a log of everything you do on the internet or cell
2017-7-8
Use props
fansa48b05cc
lvl.1
United States

The GoPro Karma is loaded with problems. Basically it is a great camera attached to a crappy drone. As far as privacy, there is none anymore. DJI is mining the same data as everybody else, including Google and FaceBook. Oh, and by they way, there is a log of everything you do on the internet or cell phone
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

"[some anonymous guy at Best Buy said he returned his Mavic because] "the 'data mining' was far too invasive so he was returning his on privacy grounds. However he said that he would buy another Mavic but not at full retail to 'compensate' him for the privacy invasion (this is him not me) . . . I also went to the local hobby shop and they stopped carrying DJI products due to lack of support."

By any chance did this occur during the local mental institution's field trip day? Was either one of these guys wearing a tin foil hat when you encountered them?

Unless you're determined to use a GoPro camera and gimbal there's no contest between the Mavic and the Karma. And how about some specifics on the supposed "data mining" or "lack of support"? Any sufficiently vague criticism (e.g., "DJI bad!") is indisputable without specifics and conveniently none were provided here. And if the hobby shop isn't selling DJI products any more then what brand of drones is he offering?

2017-7-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Buy the Mavic , nobody's gonna know what goes on in your bedroom, there can be a lot of hysteria about a lot of this stuff. And while dji is extremely slow to clear these matters up. Certainly not helping themselves or those who may be having genuine problems. But if your interested in this as a hobby, it's great and really worthwhile sometimes you just have to rise above all the hysteria. Buy it.....
2017-7-8
Use props
rdjcook55
New
United States

First I'm under no illusion that my data is not private anymore in the age of cell phones and the internet. I was merely relaying someone else's experience. The camera is secondary to the flying experience so if the Karma is not the way to go that's fine.

Aside from the Fly More combo is there anything else I should be looking at getting at the beginning?
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

rdjcook55 Posted at 2017-7-8 14:06
First I'm under no illusion that my data is not private anymore in the age of cell phones and the internet. I was merely relaying someone else's experience. The camera is secondary to the flying experience so if the Karma is not the way to go that's fine.

Aside from the Fly More combo is there anything else I should be looking at getting at the beginning?

There are plenty of things you may eventually want but really the only "must have" that isn't included in the Fly More Combo is a supported mobile device, and the list of them is here:

iOS Version v4.1.3.
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.

Android Version v4.1.2.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

2017-7-8
Use props
rdjcook55
New
United States

I've got both a Samsung S8 and an iPad Mini2, I've already installed the DJI Go 4 app on the iPad as I was told this is the way to go. I was told there is a specific cable I should get to make it work better?
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

rdjcook55 Posted at 2017-7-8 14:14
I've got both a Samsung S8 and an iPad Mini2, I've already installed the DJI Go 4 app on the iPad as I was told this is the way to go. I was told there is a specific cable I should get to make it work better?

There definitely seem to be more problems using Android devices, though I've heard mixed reports on the Mini 2 and I use a Mini 4 myself. As far as the cable goes, I believe the one that comes with the Mavic is too short for larger (e.g., tablet) devices. The standard lightning-to-USB cables you find in (for example) Best Buy work fine, but they're longer than you'll really want and using one without an angled lightning end becomes a bit of a nuisance, so you'll want to consider something like this.
2017-7-8
Use props
Jellybean
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578543 ft
United Kingdom

The mavic is amazing for its price,,,,,,,that's pretty much all that needs to be said
2017-7-8
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer
United States

First off, the Mavic has many useful features that are not available on the GoPro Karma, such as Active Tracking.

Secondly, the Mavic is incredibly easy to use, shoots high quality video and stills, and is very portable.

No contest!
2017-7-8
Use props
Andy in SW Fla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338 ft

United States

I only have experience with one drone, a Mavic Pro, so take my words with that in mind. After a few months of light use my Mavic will not connect to my phone any longer. I've read and tried everything.  I've read and learned it's not worth the effort to send it back to DJI. I'm left with a drone that will only fly in tripod mode for very short distances via WiFi mode. I use it very little but, still waste time on these broads in hope I find a fix. Best of luck to you.
2017-7-8
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

This forum probably won't be a good place for a fair opinion simply because most owners don't come here until they have a problem (opinion pulled completely from my butt).  I'm here because I had trouble with a firmware update immediately after unboxing.  Took 1.5 days to get my Mavic in the air, but I learned A LOT in here about what I might expect, if I was unlucky enough to have any of the other myriad of issues that have arisen (not to mention proper advice to get my bird in the air).
That said, BUY A MAVIC!  I haven't looked back after 2 months and still fly almost every day.  NOT a disappointment.
2017-7-8
Use props
Shahar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3199 ft

Hong Kong

I bought mine 2 months ago and I'm a beginner. Never had a drone before. So far I had some issues but like mentioned above, mainly the guys here helped solving the problems. I'm enjoying the drone, it's easy to use, great quality of videos and photos. It's easy to fly. Just make sure to get trainning and see movies before flying so you won't crash it soon after using.
2017-7-8
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Buy a Karma you'll regret that you did.........lol
2017-7-8
Use props
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

Get the mavic, it is really worth it! And if you are scared about crashes, I would recommend getting it insured by State Farm and not DJI. It's cheaper (State Farm=$60 and DJI=$99) and more reliable. The camera is great and makes photos and videos once you get the hang of the autofocus, and find settings that work for you. Keep in mind, if you live in a city or have a lot of houses around you, your settings will differ from someone who lives in a rural area with lots of trees. Just because you will have more shadows from the trees and you will have to make sure your picture is more sharp to make sure the trees are in full focus, and if you live in the city or in a neighborhood, you will have light from the houses, etc etc. Overall, I'd get the mavic!
2017-7-8
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

Come on in The water is fine.!
Privacy if you have a cell phone and or debt card Privacy is Not something you have a lot of
when your standing outside you can look up at the tallest tree's
with Mavic You can look down from above
I live in the shadow of a large Mountain 14,000ft.. 90 miles  away..... But i can't see it unless I'm 300ft straight up and the sunsets are glorious as they light it up
Last month the National Dog herding competition/Trials 1.5 miles from my house the Tickets were $1500 each
Ya i saw it and it was awsome
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Andy in SW Fla Posted at 2017-7-8 15:52
I only have experience with one drone, a Mavic Pro, so take my words with that in mind. After a few months of light use my Mavic will not connect to my phone any longer. I've read and tried everything.  I've read and learned it's not worth the effort to send it back to DJI. I'm left with a drone that will only fly in tripod mode for very short distances via WiFi mode. I use it very little but, still waste time on these broads in hope I find a fix. Best of luck to you.

Andy, I see from your posting history that you did mention this in another thread, but sometimes these things get overlooked when they're brought up in someone else's thread. I understand your frustration and hesitation to request a replacement but you might try creating your own thread where your particular situation will probably get a little more attention and where you may eventually find a solution.
2017-7-9
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Chip & Pin mavic, hope not lol
Mavic is easy to fly but fragile, be responsible, fly safe and you will love it
2017-7-9
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

I had a DJI P3S great Drone but I got
the Mavic pro fly combo fantastic bit of kit
I think you will enjoy it.
2017-7-9
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

Andy in SW Fla Posted at 2017-7-8 15:52

And where in the world did you get that it goes to China? California is where I shipped mine on a care refresh. Start your own post as Droneflying said to narrow down things to your problem. When you do state what phone device you have
2017-7-9
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

They will treat you like a god by your immediate peers!
2017-7-9
Use props
rdjcook55
New
United States

Thanks all. Was out riding my bicycle today and came across two guys flying a table full of drones. They were extremely helpful as well, both had Mavics but were flying their home built aerobatic drones today. I'm definitely going to get the Mavic with the Fly More bundle. Looks like I need to look into the State Farm policy as well as my own insurance to see if they offer anything as well, sounds like for the first year it's worth having.

Hopefully I'll be posting some video soon!
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules