Inmate used drone in elaborate prison escape
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It was nice to see that NBC has updated their stock drone footage to a Phantom 4. ;-)
Sadly it was used in a prison escape article.
http://time.com/4849765/prison-e ... th-carolina-inmate/

Not sure how big the drone actually was that dropped him a cell phone and wire cutters?

RedHotPoker
2017-7-8
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

They show a spark, not a phantom
2017-7-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hmm, most of that is conjecture. They don't know for sure that a drone was used.
2017-7-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-8 15:53
They show a spark, not a phantom

In the NBC nightly news, a Phantom 4 was used in their segment.  Also a much larger drone.

Actually I never watched the video I linked to above. ;-)

But, I'll take your word on it. Chuckles

Here's what I watched.
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-n ... ly-8th-987871811988

RedHotPoker

2017-7-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-8 16:11
Hmm, most of that is conjecture. They don't know for sure that a drone was used.

Yes, but there is no doubt he got loose, again... Ha

Remember the swell jail break in "Midnight Express"?

RedHotPoker
2017-7-8
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-8 18:29
Yes, but there is no doubt he got loose, again... Ha

Remember the swell jail break in "Midnight Express"?

Great film a bit embellished.  Have you seen the documentary with the real guy on Nat Geo's Locked Up Abroad?  Was quite good.
2017-7-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-7-8 18:37
Great film a bit embellished.  Have you seen the documentary with the real guy on Nat Geo's Locked Up Abroad?  Was quite good.

Yes, those eastern prisons are so very barbaric where they issue/hand out cruel & unusual punishment..

Did you ever see a prison show called "OZ"?
Surely that program kept many young offenders from recommitting...

RedHotPoker
2017-7-8
Use props
imagine it
lvl.3
United States

Fox had an opinion piece about gathering intelligence on terrorists and it showed a picture of a  P4. I'm quite sure that that isn't the type of drone the government uses to gather intelligence on terrorists.
2017-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

imagine it Posted at 2017-7-9 02:25
Fox had an opinion piece about gathering intelligence on terrorists and it showed a picture of a  P4. I'm quite sure that that isn't the type of drone the government uses to gather intelligence on terrorists.

Actually, the governments use all forms of intelligence gathering. Even insect sized drones...

RedHotPoker
2017-7-9
Use props
imagine it
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-9 16:17
Actually, the governments use all forms of intelligence gathering. Even insect sized drones...

That is very true but in the article the drones that were being talked about were the Predators. Just slightly larger than a P4P lol
2017-7-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-8 19:40
Yes, those eastern prisons are so very barbaric where they issue/hand out cruel & unusual punishment..

Did you ever see a prison show called "OZ"?

'Yes, those eastern prisons are so very barbaric where they issue/hand out cruel & unusual punishment.. '

True. Unlike Western prisons where they treat you with dignity and respect - like Guantanamo Bay.....
2017-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-13 16:05
'Yes, those eastern prisons are so very barbaric where they issue/hand out cruel & unusual punishment.. '

True. Unlike Western prisons where they treat you with dignity and respect - like Guantanamo Bay.....

Yes but I tend to believe the majority of people housed in political prisons get treated far worse than regular federal correctional facilities, because many of them are there as our guests.
I never met an inmate yet, that got there from singing too loud in church. ;-)

A little incarceration can be good for the soul, gives one time to think about their actions, and what got them locked up, "inside looking out" !! Getting a striped suntan. Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

imagine it Posted at 2017-7-13 12:26
That is very true but in the article the drones that were being talked about were the Predators. Just slightly larger than a P4P lol

DJI sure gets a lot of free press, thanks to the media... ;-)
Sometimes it seems negative.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-13 16:05

J/K They should do what was done frequently in the past, send all sentenced bad guys to Australia. ;-)

There must be a vacant chunk of desert some place.... Ha

RedHotPoket

2017-7-13
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-13 18:12
J/K They should do what was done frequently in the past, send all sentenced bad guys to Australia. ;-)

There must be a vacant chunk of desert some place.... Ha

We call it Canberra
2017-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, it's the Can over here too. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-7-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-13 20:45
Yes, it's the Can over here too. Haha

Canberra is the small city where all our federal politics are concentrated. It is the only city in Australia that could be nuked out of existence and the effect would be to improve the country. We have offered it to Kim Jong Un several times now as a missile target but we did not get an answer.
2017-7-13
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-13 20:56
Canberra is the small city where all our federal politics are concentrated. It is the only city in Australia that could be nuked out of existence and the effect would be to improve the country. We have offered it to Kim Jong Un several times now as a missile target but we did not get an answer.

Hi missiles can only reach Darwin right now. I hear some of the CSIRO scientists who were retrenched in the recent purge are offering assistance to improve the range and make Canberra a viable target.
2017-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-13 20:56

Thanks Geoff, I just had my first laugh of the day. Haha
We have a city much like that here, it's called Ottawa, Ontario. Wicked grin

There are good and bad politicians everywhere. Hopefully, the good will rub off on the bad ones, eventually. ;-)

I was only making jest of Australia's past history, and meant no harm for you folks today, who make it a fine country. Still on my bucket list, of places, to become familiar with.  Marvelous land.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-7-13 21:17
Hi missiles can only reach Darwin right now. I hear some of the CSIRO scientists who were retrenched in the recent purge are offering assistance to improve the range and make Canberra a viable target.

I hope you all know, My comments were only meant in good natured humor, & I have faith that your country never has to defend themselves from N.Korea, or any other fascist rebellious nation.  We all realize that the nut job running that nation is heading for disaster, and the Americans will likely take him out. I look forward to that day...

Meanwhile, Australia has some of the most interesting natural beautiful scenery, unusual animal and plant life, and mostly interesting people who call "down under" home!!

RedHotPoker
2017-7-14
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

NBC doesn't know about NFZs...
lieber.jpg
2017-7-14
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-14 10:49
NBC doesn't know about NFZs...

Who said it was a DJI product.

This alleged UAV could be of a type that does not have restrictions.
2017-7-14
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

Cabansail Posted at 2017-7-14 14:09

Nobody said it, but NBC showed footage of a DJI UAV flying over razor wire ... I suppose they wanted to show what had happened. This might eventually lead to governments demanding software enforcement of NFZ from all producers. I was somehow surprised at the number of correctional facilities a few days ago, while looking at NFZs in the Florid area in DJI Geomaps...
2017-7-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-7-14 14:09

With DJI being the more popular RC model producer, their drones are most often shown in these negative reports. But the truth still remains, no one but the RC pilot know for sure what was used.

Heck it could have been a person under a hang glider, or even a low flying hot air balloon.
Or at worst case scenario, a bribed prison guard... Nothing new on that horizon.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-14
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-14 21:33
With DJI being the more popular RC model producer, their drones are most often shown in these negative reports. But the truth still remains, no one but the RC pilot know for sure what was used.

Heck it could have been a person under a hang glider, or even a low flying hot air balloon.

from https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/ ... -one-that-needs-to/ -and don't forget Little Nellie...
2.jpg
2017-7-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-14 22:10
from https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/ ... -one-that-needs-to/  -and don't forget Little Nellie...

Too bad that jet pack only provided about 2 minutes of actual flight.  

Not enough compressed gas, to travel very far, let alone back... ;-)

Perhaps it was just a very large carrier pigeon? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-7-14
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-14 23:42
Too bad that jet pack only provided about 2 minutes of actual flight.  

Not enough compressed gas, to travel very far, let alone back... ;-)

or a flock of geese?
man in the moon.jpg
2017-7-15
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Maybe a Flock of Seagulls.

2017-7-15
Use props
Art - N4PJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

"Fox had an opinion piece about gathering intelligence on terrorists and it showed a picture of a  P4. I'm quite sure that that isn't the type of drone the government uses to gather intelligence on terrorists."

With all the hoopla about what DJI has been in re "snooping on phantom owners," one claim I saw was that they were trying to prevent ISIS from using a P4 to drop mortar rounds on the good guys.
(1) I kind of doubt that a P4 could even pick up a mortar round and (2) how are they going to "arm" the round? When you drop the mortar round down into the launcher, that small explosion at the bottom is what propels the round *and* arms the detonator.

Sigh. I guess you can read just about anything on the internet.
2017-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, if it was on the www, it must be true. Hahaha
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/05/21/1113180.htm image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2017-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-7-15 03:53
Maybe a Flock of Seagulls.

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/flock-of-seagulls-jive-records.jpg[/img]

Is that fourth member Canadian, Paul Schaffer? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Surely those large birds are our Canadian Snow Geese?

RedHotPoker
2017-7-15
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-15 11:23
Surely those large birds are our Canadian Snow Geese?

Don't know... the author was a Brit, the character was a Spaniard.
2017-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-15 12:17
Don't know... the author was a Brit, the character was a Spaniard.

Coo!! My favorite contemporary author is from Spain.
Arturo Perez-Reverte, his story series of swashbuckling Captain Alatriste has been an awesome read!! ;-)
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2017-7-15
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-15 13:38
Coo!! My favorite contemporary author is from Spain.
Arturo Perez-Reverte, his story series of swashbuckling Captain Alatriste has been an awesome read!! ;-)
[view_image]

It's amazing where a thread can lead! I didn't know this author, but will look for his books for sure. I found a movie about it, starring the Danish actor Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings) and will watch it this evening. (I'm also interested to read more about the sicilian assassin Gualtiero Malatesta, as the Malatesta family was an important family in the middleages, but from Rimini, not Sicily, so probably unrelated. But my own family has ties with the Rimini Malatestas from way back in time. LOL! Thanks for sharing...
2017-7-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-16 01:22
It's amazing where a thread can lead! I didn't know this author, but will look for his books for sure. I found a movie about it, starring the Danish actor Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings) and will watch it this evening. (I'm also interested to read more about the sicilian assassin Gualtiero Malatesta, as the Malatesta family was an important family in the middleages, but from Rimini, not Sicily, so probably unrelated. But my own family has ties with the Rimini Malatestas from way back in time. LOL! Thanks for sharing...

Yes, a thread can go in any numero of directions. ;-)
Anyway, yeah well sometime the forum mods will intervene and tell us we are drifting off topic.
But since this is my own thread, and I enjoy the friendly banter, a lot. It should be allowed, once in a while. It's a forum after all, and should be treated as such, respectfully of course.
Most forum members here get along together pretty well, which makes it a much more friendly atmosphere to engage in conversation.

I hope that you enjoyed the movie. Vigo did a pretty good job of portraying the main character, Captain Alatriste..
There are many great authors, and sometimes the movies that get made are a little different than the great stories as they were meant to be read, but you get the general idea. Perhaps you will search out the actual book series and read them all, from the beginning book. Quite an interesting group of ongoing stories.  I still have a couple of books left to finish. And have even considered starting the series over myself. ;-) I enjoyed these that much....

RedHotPoker

2017-7-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Isn't a Book or Movie a form of escape where we can fly away from the reality of the world?
2017-7-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-7-16 14:19
Isn't a Book or Movie a form of escape where we can fly away from the reality of the world?

Yes, that's the whole idea. I find the movie in my mind often much more exciting than a big screen movie portrayal, of the book.  ;-)

Using your own imagination, can be a very good escape.  Dreams can be awesome...

RedHotPoker
2017-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules