Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone flying an ASUS ZenPad 8 [Z380M]?
6839 17 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

I am giving up on the Shield being rereleased.  Looking at this ASUS and it seems to have all the right items:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... &smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Anyone flying one of these?

It is cheap, looks like it is powerful enough, fits in the controller as it is right in the middle for thickness, long battery life too.

Downside:  Average brightness for the display so shade is probably important.

This will be a dedicated tablet for both my Mavic and now my Parrot drone I just got too just for fun.

2017-7-8
Use props
fans596d8de3
lvl.1

United States

I have one in 32G (Z580C-B1-BK) and am very unhappy with its performance.
2017-7-20
Use props
fans596d8de3
lvl.1

United States

I have one in 32G (Z580C-B1-BK) and am very unhappy with its performance when using dji Go 4 and my P4P.
The video stays frozen more than not, tears, jerks and judders when not frozen, and if stable only stays smooth/stable for a few seconds at best.
The power and volume buttons are located on the right edge of the unit (when holding it portrait) in such a place that the grip/mount on the controller presses the power button unless you skew the tablet in  the mount over an inch to the side.  While inconvenient, that's not a show-stopper but the performance (or extreme lack thereof) is.

Strangely, when using the same tablet with my Mavic Pro, I get much better performance.  Not perfect (judder and tearing) but little to no freezing.  With the Mavic, it's usable whereas with the P4P, it's flat out unusable and IMHO puts the drone at risk.  What I thought I was spending $170 on to share between the 2 drones is now more or less dedicated to the Mavic Pro... costing me more in the end.

That's my experience, anyway.  Hope it's helpful for you.
Cheers,
C
2017-7-20
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both the ZenPad 8 380M & S8 580C, also a ZenPad 10, ZenPad S3 10, & ZenPad 7C.  Runs fine on all of mine except the 7C which is too laggy due to only 1GB RAM.
2017-7-20
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I should mention the 580C has a MUCH better & brighter screen than the 380M.  2048x1536 vs 1200x800.
2017-7-20
Use props
fans987d278a
Second Officer
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-20 16:01
I should mention the 580C has a MUCH better & brighter screen than the 380M.  2048x1536 vs 1200x800.

Zen pad with 1 gb. does not work with my mavic, did with the PhANTOM
Lag is unacceptable, like 2 to 3 minutes!!
As long as you don't update the shield, its the best ever
2017-7-24
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-7-24 08:22
Zen pad with 1 gb. does not work with my mavic, did with the PhANTOM
Lag is unacceptable, like 2 to 3 minutes!!
As long as you don't update the shield, its the best ever

You must have a ZenPad C7 if you only have 1GB RAM?  Like you I found that model unacceptably laggy.  

2017-7-24
Use props
cgh1
lvl.1

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-20 15:59
I have both the ZenPad 8 380M & S8 580C, also a ZenPad 10, ZenPad S3 10, & ZenPad 7C.  Runs fine on all of mine except the 7C which is too laggy due to only 1GB RAM.

Hey Bird,
How do you have your 589C configured?  The only apps I've loaded are drone specific and I don't use it for anything else but my experience is far different from yours.  I'm wondering what I've got/set incorrect on mine that I might be able to fix and actually use it with my P4P.

Or if it is/could be an inconsistency in hardware & FW implementation from ASUS - something that a lot of people in other communities have complained about.  I just purchased mine in May and it's running Android 6.0.1 (latest available for it AFAIK).

Cheers,
C
2017-7-26
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mine is running 6.0.1 also.  I have mine loaded with all sorts of stuff so I'm not sure why mine should perform differently?  The 580C hardware is plenty powerful enough for Go.
2017-7-26
Use props
cgh1
lvl.1

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-26 06:12
Mine is running 6.0.1 also.  I have mine loaded with all sorts of stuff so I'm not sure why mine should perform differently?  The 580C hardware is plenty powerful enough for Go.

Strange.  How about the cable you're using to hook to the controller - one that came in the box or a different/aftermarket cable?  I'm using the one that came in the box but now I'm suspicious.

I'd love for this thing to work and don't want to spend mega$ on an iPad if I can avoid it.
Thanks!
2017-7-26
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I use a 1' Micro-USB cable made by Anker.  You can get then on Amazon in 6-packs of black or white for around $7-8.
2017-7-26
Use props
cgh1
lvl.1

United States

A quick update... I was able to fly my P4P this past weekend with the Zen 580C without WiFi turned on and the video signal improved drastically.  When recording there were lots of consistent pauses, and an occasional freeze-up that was resolved by hitting the Android Home hotspot 'button' and then returning back to dji Go - but nothing as unusable as what I was suffering when WiFi was turned on.
So it appears that at least my ASUS ZenPad 8S 580C doesn't have enough horsepower to drive the streaming live feed from the aircraft and the WiFi radio at the same time.  When I tested leaving the Wifi radio on but not attaching to any network, my issues were back to where I started; so it doesn't seem to matter about connection status - only if the unit is dealing with the WiFi at all or not.

Hopefully this will help those out there wondering about the same thing that stumped me, or better yet - are still in the selection process on which tablet to use with their P4P controller.
Cheers!
C
2017-8-1
Use props
mdogdaddy
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-20 15:59

Dirty Bird, I'll be getting the ZenPad S3 10 soon and would like to use it for both Go4 and Litchi.  Did it work well for you? Did you have to load the apk version of Go4?
2017-8-2
Use props
Peejay1977
Second Officer
Flight distance : 123717 ft
United Kingdom

I've been using the Z380M with my Mavic and aside from the button placement already mentioned I have no issues whatsoever with the performance. I tend to use my iPhone 7 Plus though as the screen is just that little bit brighter and I don't yet have a hood for the tablet.
2017-8-2
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mdogdaddy Posted at 2017-8-2 07:54
Dirty Bird, I'll be getting the ZenPad S3 10 soon and would like to use it for both Go4 and Litchi.  Did it work well for you? Did you have to load the apk version of Go4?

Mine works fine with Go, Go4, & Litchi (Note I run a few versions back on each to avoid issues with the newest).  For Go you'll be able to just load from the Play Store.  If you want a specific version, just enable "Allow installation from Unknown Sources" in the Android Security section, then download & launch your desired version's APK.
2017-8-2
Use props
fans987d278a
Second Officer
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-2 13:06
Mine works fine with Go, Go4, & Litchi (Note I run a few versions back on each to avoid issues with the newest).  For Go you'll be able to just load from the Play Store.  If you want a specific version, just enable "Allow installation from Unknown Sources" in the Android Security section, then download & launch your desired version's APK.

I took a guy over at mavic pilots advise & picked up an Acer iconia one, model 770, it works really well, no lag, no blackouts at all. Running the Go4 app
Seems you must get the Acer with the MedTek processor, the other model, with a different processor has all the issues others have had with lag, etc.
Got it at Canada Computers on for- 92 Bucks
Now, my first videos from the mavic are just terrible, right off the card, they stutter, lag but, nothing to do with the Acer
2017-8-3
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

Good to hear.  I have bought it yet due to the screen brightness, but at $100, maybe it is worth a shot anyway.

To the Acer comment - A lot of the Acer's use the Intel Atom which is what I suspect is causing the problems as they are not 100% going to work with everything in the Play store I would think.  You probably have to compile against the Atom with your app.
2017-8-5
Use props
Captain Uncreative
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45489 ft
United States

I rolled the dice a little with this Asus zenpad s3 10, not knowing for sure how it would work with my P3pro.  Happy to report, it's working fine. Had to tell it to run in midi mode once during startup which was a first.  So far so good.  
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules