DJI Spark Gimbal went DEAD!
5012 19 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf31b969e
New
United States

Hi Everyone, my Spark is two weeks old and I have flown only 3 times.  I have just tried to fly it again and evrything works well but the gimbal doesn't move.  There is video but no gimbal.
Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or do I need to send the Spark BacK.
Thank you!
Seb
2017-7-8
Use props
frost_ireland
New

Ireland

exactly the same problem, less than a week old and 3 flights and then gimbal froze during a flight.  It can still move horizontally, but not vertically.  Have you had any response from Support?
2017-7-9
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

frost_ireland Posted at 2017-7-9 01:17
exactly the same problem, less than a week old and 3 flights and then gimbal froze during a flight.  It can still move horizontally, but not vertically.  Have you had any response from Support?

Pardon my ignorance, but how does the Spark gimbal move horizontally?
2017-7-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you try a factor restore with DJI assistant???
2017-7-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please help us confirm the firmware version of your drone?
Please make a small video showing the situation you described, thanks.
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

frost_ireland Posted at 2017-7-9 01:17

Would you please make a small video showing the situation?
Then help us confirm the firmware version, thank you!
2017-7-10
Use props
frost_ireland
New

United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-9 03:28
Pardon my ignorance, but how does the Spark gimbal move horizontally?

yah, wrong word.  not sure correct term, but maybe Z-axis?  that is, if you're looking at a clock face in front of you, the plane of the clock face.  in any case, if you're familiar with the Spark, whatever axis that is not the up-and-down one! ;-)
2017-7-12
Use props
frost_ireland
New

United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-7-9 04:08
Did you try a factor restore with DJI assistant???

yes i did a factory restore with no improvement
2017-7-12
Use props
frost_ireland
New

United States

fyi i'm just waiting on confirmation but it looks like DJI will be replacing it
2017-7-12
Use props
Timoune
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31089 ft
France

Hi!

I also have an issue with the gimbal... the view is not horizontal and I have to always adjust with the manual gimbal roll. It this normal?

Thank you!
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

my gimbal died as well..  i had a nasty crash, after the crash i did a system check and gimbal was fine it was self leveling still it was after a battery swap and brushing off of the dirt around the edges that the gimbal doesn't work anymore... i have already returned my spark to amazon..  but i now  wonder if this issue goes deeper than i thought?
2017-7-26
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-7-26 08:50
my gimbal died as well..  i had a nasty crash, after the crash i did a system check and gimbal was fine it was self leveling still it was after a battery swap and brushing off of the dirt around the edges that the gimbal doesn't work anymore... i have already returned my spark to amazon..  but i now  wonder if this issue goes deeper than i thought?

What? Deeper than admitting you had a nasty crash and now your gimbal doesn't work? I thinks it's pretty clean cut that you broke it yourself.
2017-7-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-7-26 11:21
What? Deeper than admitting you had a nasty crash and now your gimbal doesn't work? I thinks it's pretty clean cut that you broke it yourself.

first of all, it was entirely out of my control.. it was connected to the app, and RC but i couldn't stop it, it climbed a tree 100 feet up and crashed into a limb and nose dived into the dirt..   if it was my fault i would be upset at myself.

secondly it worked perfectly after the crash, i did a system check and the gimbal was self leveling when i moved the aircraft around. it only died after i swapped batteries..  the gimbal moves freely the camera streams freely..  it just stopped working since..  makes me think maybe its software or something being preventative maybe? i dont know..  considering it worked right after that smash nose first ... but didn't after i switched batteries makes me think maybe more to it..
if i still had my sparky i would probably do more testing but i returned it for a refund and im considering another..
2017-7-26
Use props
fans7666527f
lvl.2
Sweden

The gimbal in my Spark didn't work from the moment it arrived and after a lot of complicated email exchange with Dji they finally gave me an address where to return it and refunded it.
2017-7-26
Use props
fansf31b969e
New
Colombia

Just as an update. a late one I know.  I took the Spark to a DJI authorized seller in NYC, they told me there was nothing to do but to wait until new gimbals for Sparks arrived as the Spark was still to new and they did not have a replacement, unfortunately I was not offered at the time of purchase the DJI care insurance as I bought my drone in an apple store, so the DJI store attendant told me that "when" the spare part arrives it could cost me about 200USD to get it fixed.  DJI NERVER replied to my inquiry, so what I ended doing, was returning it back to an apple store and had replace as it was purchased less than 30 days before.
I LOVE APPLE, no questions asked, they just refunded the drone.  DJI, you have LOADS to learn about costumer service.  You should learn from APPLE.

Thank you APPLE!
Seb
2017-9-27
Use props
edsol
lvl.1
Philippines

I just had the "gimbal overload" this morning when I made it ready to fly. The warning was followed by a need to do compass calibration which I tried but did not finish because it was not responding. I switched the spark off and tried again and everything was working including the camera but not the gimball. So my camera stays fixed in one position. I can gently move the gimball up and down with my finger and roll it but it can not be controlled anymore by the remote. I e-mailed dji and I hope to get some sort of an answer and solution to this. My spark is just a week old bought in hongkong
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

edsol Posted at 2017-9-28 00:10
I just had the "gimbal overload" this morning when I made it ready to fly. The warning was followed by a need to do compass calibration which I tried but did not finish because it was not responding. I switched the spark off and tried again and everything was working including the camera but not the gimball. So my camera stays fixed in one position. I can gently move the gimball up and down with my finger and roll it but it can not be controlled anymore by the remote. I e-mailed dji and I hope to get some sort of an answer and solution to this. My spark is just a week old bought in hongkong

Edsol, did you buy the spark recently? Please try to refresh the firmware of your spark and check if it is the latest version.
Please keep us updated if the problem remains.
2017-9-28
Use props
edsol
lvl.1
Philippines

Yes, I just bought it last September 20 in hongkong and the good news is... I was able to revive the gimbal by using a very unorthodox method which I read in one of the comments with the same situation. I started the drone with the spark lying on its back and that made my gimbal twitch a bit (a good sign). Then I put the camera facing the floor with my finger pushing it a bit as I started the drone and it made an effort to push against my finger and she was brought back to life, hehehe. I don't why it worked but it did. Whew, so happy
2017-9-28
Use props
edsol
lvl.1
Philippines

I spoke too soon. Now this morning, the gimbal in the spark is not working again. Just when I was about to do a flight, the camera is looking down again and the gimbal is not responding. I really hope there is a solution to this. I don't want to go thru the hassle of sending this back to hongkong since I'm staying in thte philippines right now.
2017-9-28
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

edsol Posted at 2017-9-28 20:42
I spoke too soon. Now this morning, the gimbal in the spark is not working again. Just when I was about to do a flight, the camera is looking down again and the gimbal is not responding. I really hope there is a solution to this. I don't want to go thru the hassle of sending this back to hongkong since I'm staying in thte philippines right now.

Edsol, sorry for the late response. Did you still get the error message after upgrading your spark again? If it doesn't help, please contact our support and start a case. Thanks for your support. Here is the link: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules