Spark fly away = lost drone HELP!
449144 449144 2017-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

fans5afbcfcb Posted at 2017-8-28 04:18
I talked to DJI through a chat. After providing some data, I was informed that an email will be sent requesting more information! I really hope that if Spark's error is verified to DJI send me another one.

Please export all the flight data from your drone.
Follow the link and export again:
2017-8-28
Use props
Bruno Galev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13645 ft
Brazil

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-28 18:38
Please export all the flight data from your drone.
Follow the link and export again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEHdAlAh9A

I would do that, but I lost my drone!
2017-9-1
Use props
fansd2506415
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7372 ft
Australia

Bruno Galev Posted at 2017-9-1 07:17
I would do that, but I lost my drone!

I am new to the Spark, but I've been reading all the warnings and I'm sure that I took off with everything reporting as OK.  There were certainly no warnings.

I was using the Go 4 app on an iPad Mini; no controller.  It was about my 10th flight using this method.

I used auto take-off and climbed to about 35m.  Moved sideways about 25m and focused on a solar-heating mat for a "circle" flight mode.  It completed the circle OK, but then I received a compass warning.  I tried to RTH, but it just keep going straight on a heading.

Flight log:
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=YwpsLE&page_id=GENERAL
2017-9-9
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Impressive list of error messages in your flight log. Since you were flying without remote control it should never have gone that far away. This indicates a serious malfunction indeed. Have you been able to recover your Spark? If yes, export all recorded data and send it to DJI.
2017-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansd2506415 Posted at 2017-9-9 22:42
I am new to the Spark, but I've been reading all the warnings and I'm sure that I took off with everything reporting as OK.  There were certainly no warnings.

I was using the Go 4 app on an iPad Mini; no controller.  It was about my 10th flight using this method.

First off you should really start your own thread, although similar to this thread you will get more answers if you have a fresh thread started.

Your Aircraft had serious compass problems, this could have been picked up from the ground would need more information on location you were flying in, from there there are a series of things that happen with spark, I will explain below.
I'm not to sure if you located your spark but we should be able to get last known coordinates.

Why would a compass error disable GPS?
Orientation (compass data) and position (GPS data) are different but related.
When the Spark is moving and getting position information from the GPS that tells the Spark that it is travelling in a different direction from what it's getting from compass data, The Spark programming can't work with the data conflict.
The solution is to drop data from one source and since the Phantom can't fly without a compass but can without GPS, it's the GPS data that gets dropped.

There have been some compass problems with Sparks lately or your issue may have been related to something you did.
I'd be curious about when and where you calibrated it and where you launched from as these may be relevant factors.
You can also see the flight data to learn more and perhaps solve the mystery of your incident.
2017-9-10
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

As this thread shows calibration is a thorny issue.
Mine seems to behave ok , but the gyro calibaration (which is on imu) screen gives an orange reading which is "good" but not excellent (green).
I posted a sceenshot as requesed but heard no more.
So I have no idea whether to calibrate or not.
Any one elses gyro show orange?
2017-9-10
Use props
MiniMoke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7372 ft
Australia

RE: Spark fly away = lost drone HELP!

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-10 01:21
First off you should really start your own thread, although similar to this thread you will get more answers if you have a fresh thread started.

Your Aircraft had serious compass problems, this could have been picked up from the ground would need more information on location you were flying in, from there there are a series of things that happen with spark, I will explain below.

Thanks hallmark007.

I have taken your advice and started a new thread.  The area I was flying is urban with not much available landing areas.  I'm not holding out hope of retrieving my Spark; it's probably in a tree or on someones roof.
2017-9-10
Use props
fans796565ec
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32244 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Pal, i've just had the same issue - spark literally just flew away with the exact same errors as you've had. I was wondering what the outcome with DJI was? Did they send you a replacement unit as it should be covered under warranty on the basis this was a malfunction of the drone. If you could let me know how you've got on that would be great. I'm panicing
2017-9-24
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7537661 ft
United States

I know this could be ugly overkill to some, but I'm hoping if it does happen this helps.

IMG_1247.jpg
2017-9-24
Use props
DaanD3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39659 ft
Netherlands

Hi all, I've had about the same problem. My 3 months old Spark flew away. After quickly giving GPS and compass warnings it went into ATTI mode and took off. Looked for it with 3 people, couldn't retrieve it anywhere . I'm glad I was flying over farmland, so no accidents happend to people or property. However I feel very sad about the loss. I have to say DJI support reacts very promptly on this matter. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome of this fly away! With my next drone I will take the tips 'n tricks in this tread for granted!
2018-1-15
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Just email dji and explain this situation. Who knows they might send in a new one or file a complaint
2018-1-15
Use props
DaanD3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39659 ft
Netherlands

DaanD3 Posted at 2018-1-15 05:23
Hi all, I've had about the same problem. My 3 months old Spark flew away. After quickly giving GPS and compass warnings it went into ATTI mode and took off. Looked for it with 3 people, couldn't retrieve it anywhere . I'm glad I was flying over farmland, so no accidents happend to people or property. However I feel very sad about the loss. I have to say DJI support reacts very promptly on this matter. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome of this fly away! With my next drone I will take the tips 'n tricks in this tread for granted!

Update: I just got a message from DJI that they will send me a new Spark at no costs. Great and quick service!
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

DaanD3 Posted at 2018-1-16 04:37
Update: I just got a message from DJI that they will send me a new Spark at no costs. Great and quick service!

Great news...congratz
2018-1-16
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

DaanD3 Posted at 2018-1-16 04:37

Great news...congratz
2018-1-16
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-1-16
Use props
AdamTheGreat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56991 ft
United States

DarylMax Posted at 2017-9-24 09:41
I know this could be ugly overkill to some, but I'm hoping if it does happen this helps.

Someone should make a case that holds the registration info.
2018-1-16
Use props
fans1d3c903e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240863 ft
United Kingdom

My P4P recently flew-away never to be seen again. Can anyone advise if and how to report this to DJI? Is there any chance of a free replacement or is this wishful thinking :/
2018-1-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

fans1d3c903e Posted at 2018-1-22 20:59
My P4P recently flew-away never to be seen again. Can anyone advise if and how to report this to DJI? Is there any chance of a free replacement or is this wishful thinking :/

You can contact DJI support here: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-1-23
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123091 ft
Canada

SO this happened to me this morning!!
  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9BOH65W24NI75UGTQK5L/
2018-2-21
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Patowski Posted at 2018-2-21 06:53
SO this happened to me this morning!!
  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9BOH65W24NI75UGTQK5L/

Hi Patowski,

Drone could not fly back because of too much wind, see 2 charts....Cheers JJB

GomeHome data

GomeHome data

Polar view

Polar view
2018-2-21
Use props
Patowski
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123091 ft
Canada

JJBspark Posted at 2018-2-21 09:55
Hi Patowski,

Drone could not fly back because of too much wind, see 2 charts....Cheers JJB

Thank you so much

I have no idea how you found those infos!!

I Hope i will find it!!
2018-2-21
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

DarylMax Posted at 2017-9-24 09:41

All you need is TILE
Light enough for the Spark
2018-2-22
Use props
DarylMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7537661 ft
United States

pmshop Posted at 2018-2-22 09:56
All you need is TILE
Light enough for the Spark

Got one too
2018-2-22
Use props
fansfa443675
New

United States

I just had the same issue happen to my Spark today. It took off in ATI mode and I could not control it. The total flight time was 1:23 with no GPS tracking available in my flight history. I can’t find my drone as it flew over a wooded field from the the field I was next to.
2018-3-10
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfa443675 Posted at 2018-3-10 16:29
I just had the same issue happen to my Spark today. It took off in ATI mode and I could not control it. The total flight time was 1:23 with no GPS tracking available in my flight history. I can’t find my drone as it flew over a wooded field from the the field I was next to.

Upload  the flight record from your phone/tablet at the site below and I'm sure you'll have several people on here willing to check them out and see if they can provide guidance on what may have happened and a general area for you to search for your missing aircraft.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-3-10
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.3

United States

So many fly aways,....

Has anyone tried putting a different flight controller on the spark, maybe a Naza lite?  Is it even possible?
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_eJWJQTiFxs4p
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23232 ft

I lost my Spark in similar circumstances last night. I'm pretty devastated. I have uploaded the flight data and video, and sent the Google Drive link to Nicole at DJI Support. How does this happen? I saved up so long for this drone and then this happens.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/M3YYJW6KHESOHMQA3BF2/#
2018-4-25
Use props
Paco572
lvl.2
Canada

I had the same problem. UNCONTROLLED FLY AWAY. With only my second flight for my spark, I only wanted to go straight up and then back down. Had good IMU and compass, 15 Satellites, fully charged up, 5.4ghz wireless good, crystalsky 5.5 took it up to 300ft, then lost connection. Aircraft took off away from me at full speed, directly into the sunlight, lost sight of it, hit RTH, didn't work, hit again on the screen didn't work. Last ditch effort, held the joystick in down position to at least try to bring it down before it hits something or somebody, Eventually, I saw my spark off in the distance the controller regained connection I was able to bring the AC down but RTH didn't function.  Made it back with less than 8% battery. Isn't the AC supposed to enter RTH if it loses connection with the controller? I'm absolutely terrified to take it up again. This is such BS. It should never happen, but apparently, it happens all the time from what I've read here. DJI when are going to fix this "FLY AWAY PROBLEM"?

Disappointment is beyond belief,

PACO
2018-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_eJWJQTiFxs4p Posted at 2018-4-25 04:50
I lost my Spark in similar circumstances last night. I'm pretty devastated. I have uploaded the flight data and video, and sent the Google Drive link to Nicole at DJI Support. How does this happen? I saved up so long for this drone and then this happens.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/M3YYJW6KHESOHMQA3BF2/#

It looks like you had yaw problems magnetic interference, the most common cause of this is through magnetic interference picked up on the ground , we must be careful when putting aircraft on the ground, all sorts of things that can cause interference can be buried beneath the ground, electrical cables steel pipes rebar concrete, and although you might think that interference should effect your aircraft straight away this is not always the case, I will try to explain below.

First if you start up your Aircraft in a safe area, without taking off lift up your Aircraft by hand and rotate 90 degrees, both compass and IMU will follow to this new heading, so no problem this is how it should be.
Taking off from mag interference ground will cause your compass to move it’s heading this does not always show up in your app, so it will still allow you to take off.
Once you take off and get clear of mag interference your compass will then correct itself but the movement made by compass causes confusion in your IMU because it is designed to move with compass.
This you will see reported on your app as IMU exceptional heading compass error yaw error etc, your aircraft will  switch to Atti mode, your aircraft cannot cope with conflicting data so it will drop gps in favour of compass because your aircraft cannot fly without compass but can without gps.

Unfortunately you were flying with only phone so your aircraft was out of range very quickly.

You should still take up a case with dji, I have seen similar awarded warranty, I wish you luck.
2018-4-25
Use props
ChrisGrobler
lvl.1

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-25 12:00
It looks like you had yaw problems magnetic interference, the most common cause of this is through magnetic interference picked up on the ground , we must be careful when putting aircraft on the ground, all sorts of things that can cause interference can be buried beneath the ground, electrical cables steel pipes rebar concrete, and although you might think that interference should effect your aircraft straight away this is not always the case, I will try to explain below.

First if you start up your Aircraft in a safe area, without taking off lift up your Aircraft by hand and rotate 90 degrees, both compass and IMU will follow to this new heading, so no problem this is how it should be.

Thank you for the input. I have logged a case, ticket #1102861. In the mean time, I have made some reward posters to put up around the neighborhood. But this is South Africa, and it is most likely long gone.
2018-4-25
Use props
ChrisGrobler
lvl.1

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-25 12:00
It looks like you had yaw problems magnetic interference, the most common cause of this is through magnetic interference picked up on the ground , we must be careful when putting aircraft on the ground, all sorts of things that can cause interference can be buried beneath the ground, electrical cables steel pipes rebar concrete, and although you might think that interference should effect your aircraft straight away this is not always the case, I will try to explain below.

Case was updated to CAS-1723246-M0X2T7. Please please please let them give me the good news.
2018-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ChrisGrobler Posted at 2018-4-26 02:10
Case was updated to CAS-1723246-M0X2T7. Please please please let them give me the good news.

Hopefully you will have a good outcome.
2018-4-26
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I'd love to know what percentage of all spark owners have flyaways...
2018-4-26
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

So does Tile interfere at all with the aircraft?
2018-4-26
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-11 11:55
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=104222&fromuid=260008

Thank you Hallmark for these Tips. People like you are doing a GREAT JOB in helping us Spark Pilots. I printed your tips to include in my Notebook I keep with me.

Some questions I have to ask you -

1) Some say one can do compass calibration before each flight. Is that bad ?

2) Also what is the IMU function ? When do I need to calibrate IMU, just once or before each flight ?

3) Compass or IMU cannot be done on near Rebar Concrete / Metal ?  So best is to do these in an open field with soil or sandy beach ? Concrete is everywhere in urban areas. I am bit confused on this. My house ceiling is concrete with metal netting inside too. :/ Some say do IMU at home. Thats why I am confused.

Thanks for the Help Hallmark Much Obligated mate !
2018-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-26 07:02
Thank you Hallmark for these Tips. People like you are doing a GREAT JOB in helping us Spark Pilots. I printed your tips to include in my Notebook I keep with me.

Some questions I have to ask you -

1/calibration of compass is not difficult, it’s your aircraft you can choose to do before each flight. But why would you, if you have a good compass you can’t make it any better by calibration, but you can make it worse.
I have calibrated my spark once because app told me too, I have travelled both hundreds of miles to UK from Ireland and thousands of miles to Sweden, Spain and never had to calibrate, so I simply don’t , and it’s very similar with 3 other aircraft I own.

Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic
Although it says Mavic it’s the same for Spark.

2/ IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ;

Magnetic interference will not effect IMU , it’s quite safe to do indoors.
2018-4-26
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-26 17:06
1/calibration of compass is not difficult, it’s your aircraft you can choose to do before each flight. But why would you, if you have a good compass you can’t make it any better by calibration, but you can make it worse.
I have calibrated my spark once because app told me too, I have travelled both hundreds of miles to UK from Ireland and thousands of miles to Sweden, Spain and never had to calibrate, so I simply don’t , and it’s very similar with 3 other aircraft I own.

Dear Hallmark,

I wish to Thank You DEEPLY from my heart for all this Information.

You have cleared many doubts I had, and today I learned a lot Thanks to You !

Big Thank You, Forum like these need Pro Pilots like You. Very much Oligated to You !
2018-4-27
Use props
sSunsets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss and dispair. Hopefully it won't rain before you find it.
2018-4-27
Use props
ChrisGrobler
lvl.1
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-26 04:35
Hopefully you will have a good outcome.

I got a response. DJI is replacing my spark under warranty
2018-4-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ChrisGrobler Posted at 2018-4-29 08:47
I got a response. DJI is replacing my spark under warranty

Great stuff, I’m pleased for you hopefully back in the air soon fly safe.
2018-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules