re-soldering antenna's
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jesse_m8778
New
United States

Hey,

My buddy had a bad crash with his inpsire and long story short he sold it to me for a good price. When he was taking it a apart he cut each antenna at the solder joint. I was wondering if it being cut a bit would affect it at all or do i need to resolder the little piece back on to the antenna wire? I'm fairly decent at soldering. Thanks in advance for any input!
New to the camera drone's and looking forward to nerding out of this fourm

new owner to a mavic and now an inspire 1.

IMG_3453.JPG.jpeg
2017-7-9
Use props
Donnie *
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I remeber the lenght of the protected (sheathed) portion of a 2.4 Ghz antenaa is not as critcal as the antenna length itself ( the actual antenna )  .  that being said it is critcal that you have the 2 parts of the antenna wire seperated as they do Not connect to the antenna it self in one piece ( you have the inner wire and the protected sheath wire ) .  I think your friend made a mistake in cutting these and I would purchase new ones myself .
Or if you must , look closeley at the inner antenna wire and notice that it is soldered to the farthest point ( Of the solder area )  of the antenna and the sheath is soldered in the big dab .  .  It is critical that these two parts do NOT get soldered together.

I will fully admit I am not an antenna expert and I hope someone with more  knowledge can chime in . I just wanted to give you a basic answer and you did not just solder the whire and sheath in a big blob to the antenna itself .
After doing the solder I would take a volt metere and Make sure you have NO continuity beteween the Inner and outer sheath.
****Also one problem is where your friend  cut the wire, at that point he may have cripmed the inner and outere wire, or for that matter if in a crash it could be crimped anywhere .  You will need to test that out for sure with a voltmeter and you will need to unpug the antenna from the Main mother board it goes to .  Like I said I would repalce it .

Also if you notice the length of the antenna is written on the antenna itself at 34.5 MM. Most are between 28 and 32 mm  for 2,4 GHZ systems .  Once again we are referring to the Antenna itself NOT the COAX going to it .

Once again hoping one of the electronics gurus can chime in , I only have  basic knowledge in this .

donnie

2017-7-10
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Adding Pictures to Donnie's post  -  

The antenna cables are COAX cables:

COAX

COAX

The antenna itself has TWO solder pads. The outer metallic COAX shield solders to the larger pad, while the core antenna cable solders to the smaller pad:

Pads

Pads

2017-7-10
Use props
jesse_m8778
New
United States

Thanks guys. Yeah, i noticed the two different wires. I think i might try and solder them and see what happens. I've tried to find the antenna wires and can't find them. Everything i see wants to come with the landing gear.
2017-7-10
Use props
fans170685c9
New

Vietnam

please twll me know on controller inform : main controler connection to main board fails. i must do?
2017-7-31
Use props
fans170685c9
New

Vietnam

when i upgrade firmware from sd card by firmware on 10/7 so report firmware on sd card older than firmware on drone
2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules