SPARK No GPS When Micro SD Inserted
2942 22 2017-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa111ec5e
New
Flight distance : 38104 ft
Canada

After weeks of wondering why I could not get a GPS signal, I tried the SPARK without the MicroSD card inserted.......Instant GPS signal.  Put the card back in.....Signal goes out.  Spent 2 hours on DJI chat with technical support, he confirmed it is an issue that everyone is having and they are "working on it".  I cannot find any other thread or report of the same issue.  Anyone experience the same thing? I have tried 2 different Micro SD cards, one 16GB Sandisk Ultra (Came from DJI with my spark), and also tried a 64 GB Sandisk Etreme, both do the exact same thing, SPARK cannot acquire GPS if card inserted.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
2017-7-10
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I must be in the minority, because I'm not having that issue.
2017-7-10
Use props
Mimus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284770 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-10 09:22
I must be in the minority, because I'm not having that issue.

No issues here as well.
2017-7-10
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Funny, I've never heard of anyone having this issue. You would think that if tech support said a lot of people are experiencing the problem that someone would have posted it to the  forums before now?!?!
2017-7-10
Use props
fansa111ec5e
New
Canada

I knew the guy wasn't being honest as I said the same thing, I searched the forums and found no other comment with the same issue.  Keep the replies coming, maybe somebody has seen this and solved it.
2017-7-10
Use props
DroneHack99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64167 ft
United States

No issue you here either.  Have you tired reinstalling the firmware?
2017-7-10
Use props
fansa111ec5e
New
Canada

Thank you for the reply, yes I have tried re-installing the firmware, tried downgrading firmware, re-installing DJIGO App, tried everything I can think of
2017-7-10
Use props
DroneHack99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64167 ft
United States

fansa111ec5e Posted at 2017-7-10 10:05
Thank you for the reply, yes I have tried re-installing the firmware, tried downgrading firmware, re-installing DJIGO App, tried everything I can think of

That stinks...sounds like a hardware issue then.
2017-7-10
Use props
fansd5f679f6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31257 ft
Germany

maybe there is an GPS - SDcard Problem, what is the reason many People lost thair drones?
2017-7-10
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansd5f679f6 Posted at 2017-7-10 12:41
maybe there is an GPS - SDcard Problem, what is the reason many People lost thair drones?

Not a bad thought...
2017-7-10
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

I had some experience when playing with my 350 drone with sport cam mounted. GPS or 2.4 control channel may got interference when the SD card was under "recording" situation. Finally solved using aluminium foil wrapping the whole sport cam.
2017-7-10
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-10 19:30
I had some experience when playing with my 350 drone with sport cam mounted. GPS or 2.4 control channel may got interference when the SD card was under "recording" situation. Finally solved using aluminium foil wrapping the whole sport cam.

Oh wow.. This brings back adulthood memories.
The first gen Phantom 2 Vision Plus had this problem. 12/13 sats and then it would fizzle down to 6 sats when the record button. The fix was to install a bigger copper/foil shield to block signal noise. The later version of the Phantom 2 vision plus was installed with ferrite magnetic chokers.

Back on topic though.. can the OP fly?? if so, you have an ATTI mode spark in your hands.  
2017-7-10
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-7-10 20:15
Oh wow.. This brings back adulthood memories.
The first gen Phantom 2 Vision Plus had this problem. 12/13 sats and then it would fizzle down to 6 sats when the record button. The fix was to install a bigger copper/foil shield to block signal noise. The later version of the Phantom 2 vision plus was installed with ferrite magnetic chokers.

The busted 2014 kickstarter project Zano got the same issue.
2017-7-10
Use props
fanseaeff787
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155240 ft
Germany

I have exactly the sam problem. Without SD Card No problem with SD Card nearly half the GPS reception and therefore often vision mode. And recording or active track increases the problem.
2017-7-10
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

no such prob here with sandisk
2017-7-11
Use props
fanseaeff787
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155240 ft
Germany

When I have the interference with the SD Card everything is working. The reception is just low. At first I thought it was my location. But same location without the SD Card I have maximum GPS. Maybe that is the reason why you hear so little of it, because it basically works.
But in your case you have not a single Sat?
2017-7-11
Use props
perus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 173133 ft
Sweden

This is interesting, I'm having some small issues with the Spark having less than optimal GPS reception compared to the Mavic Pro at the same time and place.
I've always used the Spark with a SD card so going to remove it and compare GPS reception before and after.

/Per
2018-5-2
Use props
Jezmo
lvl.4
United States

Interesting, I will fly mine and see if I get more sats with the card out.
2018-5-2
Use props
enriquefc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1019301 ft
Venezuela

Hi,

Has this been resolved? It would be interesting to see some follow-ups on this issue.

Although I am in what is basically an Urban Canyon, I am getting erratic GPS signal on the ground, even when the sky is 70% visible. When I do get 8+ sats and can take off, the number jumps from 8 to 15 pretty quickly by gaining altitude.

I will try the spark in the same location tomorrow, at different times of day, to see if removing the SD does anything.

I'll post observations then.
2018-6-24
Use props
enriquefc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1019301 ft
Venezuela

After 4 tests today, I got these results:
- GPS lock with SD card -> 1:24 minutes.
- GPS lock without SD card -> 22 seconds.

I do not know if the sample is significant since it was only 4 tests. I CAN confirm that at 12 meters, I got 18-20 satellites and STRONG signal. I am thinking of setting the home point in the air, can anyone confirm if this works? I mean, will the AC land at the same spot in the ground if I set my HP while at 12 - 15 meters?

In any case, it seems my Spark is fine, and the only issue with GPS lock is the Urban Canyon effect.

Thanks for your posts, they were very informative.

E.
2018-6-25
Use props
Doodles33
New
Flight distance : 2133 ft
Brazil

I'm having the same problem, just bought a new micro sd card and GPS worked flawlessly for an entire flight, very strange issue.
2020-1-8
Use props
NP2019
lvl.2

Indonesia

Also had the same issue here. After I replaced the SD card with sandisk extreme, no more GPS lost. I'm guessing it has to do with the read/write speed of your SD card.
2020-1-15
Use props
IR.ESNHZ
lvl.1

Iran

i had the same one   so i bought a gps board and change it   and now its OK
2020-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules