Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Avoid Crash due to Compass Interference
80437 411 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-7-11
Use props
ArthurL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 784669 ft
Malaysia

Thanks for the tips!
2017-7-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to. Your compass will always prompt to calibrate if it needs it .

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,

2017-7-11
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Thanks for the informative thread!
2017-7-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-11 17:03
Thanks for the informative thread!

No problem.
2017-7-11
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

For gesture mode, palm take off and flying without connecting to RC or smartphone. Does the compass issue still affect such users ? How can they avoid compass error issue or they are immune ?

Thanks
2017-7-11
Use props
likchu
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Great Tips I will try and do it each time before take off. Thanks
2017-7-12
Use props
SafariMan
First Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I guess this will be very helpful for lots of new pilots. Should be a STICKY thread. Thumbs up!
2017-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SafariMan Posted at 2017-7-12 01:19
I guess this will be very helpful for lots of new pilots. Should be a STICKY thread. Thumbs up!

Thank you..
2017-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-11 20:44
For gesture mode, palm take off and flying without connecting to RC or smartphone. Does the compass issue still affect such users ? How can they avoid compass error issue or they are immune ?

Thanks

I don't think there has been any dat material released for Spark yet, someone on the forum I spoke with last week reckons it will be very soon , this will help us understand the Jedi mode and what exactly makes it work, I have some ideas how it is working, but I'm not 100% sure.
It would be helpful if dji could spell out in layman terms how Spark works exactly what precautions might be needed. Even just the simplest things that might help others avoid what might be coming up to meet them. We shall wait and see.
2017-7-12
Use props
rickysuperdog
First Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-12 04:15
I don't think there has been any dat material released for Spark yet, someone on the forum I spoke with last week reckons it will be very soon , this will help us understand the Jedi mode and what exactly makes it work, I have some ideas how it is working, but I'm not 100% sure.
It would be helpful if dji could spell out in layman terms how Spark works exactly what precautions might be needed. Even just the simplest things that might help others avoid what might be coming up to meet them. We shall wait and see.

Thanks.

Yes DJI must release some detail material regarding these flight modes.
2017-7-12
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good common sense tips.
2017-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-12 09:37
Good common sense tips.

I've been doing it for a long time now, and it's a good failsafe exercise and quick.
2017-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

likchu Posted at 2017-7-12 01:07
Great Tips I will try and do it each time before take off. Thanks

Good job hope it helps.
2017-7-12
Use props
Dirk52
First Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice tips, but you can't use them when flying with gesture control^^
2017-7-12
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

Hi Captain, I do not mean to say right or wrong here, but just open for discussion.
I saw this page today from DJI, seems like they advise to "calibate compass before flight". You have any comment on that?
https://store.dji.com/guides/dos-donts-drone-flying/
2017-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-12 23:19
Hi Captain, I do not mean to say right or wrong here, but just open for discussion.
I saw this page today from DJI, seems like they advise to "calibate compass before flight". You have any comment on that?
https://store.dji.com/guides/dos-donts-drone-flying/

You need to follow instructions from your manual, only calibrate compass when prompted, in older manuals from dji there was much confusion about calibration dji have now corrected this, and it's best practice is not to calibrate, if you get interference on the ground you should never calibrate in that vicinity as your AC will only take on the parameters of that area, so move away and start take off again.

I have 5 AC 4 of which I have calibrated no more than 3 times in 4 years, I use Matrice for work and sometimes because of location I need to calibrate before using.
2017-7-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-12 22:52
Nice tips, but you can't use them when flying with gesture control^^

No you can't, as of yet dji has not, Dji has

As of yet dji has not released dat. File format  so it's difficult to say exactly how gesture control works , we know VPS is a big part of keeping AC secure and locked to ground .
In gesture you can preform some of exercise to check IMU VPS gps but you will never know about compass without checking  telemetry , it's unlikely you will pick up strong interference from hand launching , unless your taking off from a steel shed.

Also in gesture mode you AC is never more than 5 meters away at anytime, so maybe best to keep it close for a couple of minutes until your happy that all looks good, before waving it away.
One thing your manual always recommends is flying AC in suitable environments so this advice should stop people from having to much disasters.
2017-7-13
Use props
realstreetuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do I need to calibrate the compass if I move to different part of the country even if it don't ask me to/? Thanks
2017-7-13
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-13 01:37
You need to follow instructions from your manual, only calibrate compass when prompted, in older manuals from dji there was much confusion about calibration dji have now corrected this, and it's best practice is not to calibrate, if you get interference on the ground you should never calibrate in that vicinity as your AC will only take on the parameters of that area, so move away and start take off again.

I have 5 AC 4 of which I have calibrated no more than 3 times in 4 years, I use Matrice for work and sometimes because of location I need to calibrate before using.

I see, thanks for the comment
2017-7-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

realstreetuk Posted at 2017-7-13 02:45
Do I need to calibrate the compass if I move to different part of the country even if it don't ask me to/? Thanks

If it doesn't ask don't do it, I have travelled 1500 miles last Sunday no calibration needed. It will prompt you when needed.
2017-7-13
Use props
realstreetuk
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OK thanks is this the same for the phantom 3 ?
2017-7-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

realstreetuk Posted at 2017-7-13 06:57
OK thanks is this the same for the phantom 3 ?

Yes it is.
2017-7-13
Use props
hvail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 990266 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you, I really appreciate this.
2017-7-16
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-12 04:15

The compass and IMU are in the drone, not your phone.  It is always helpful to have material to understand your drone.  Manuals and videos are good places to include explanations.
2017-7-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-7-16 13:18
The compass and IMU are in the drone, not your phone.  It is always helpful to have material to understand your drone.  Manuals and videos are good places to include explanations.

Sorry Bill , not sure what you mean, I never said IMU or compass was in your phone, I am aware where compass and IMU are.

Very much agree with you there should be explanations in manuals and video.
2017-7-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

hvail Posted at 2017-7-16 13:05
Thank you, I really appreciate this.

Your welcome. Good luck.
2017-7-16
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like to point out, these are only valid points when flying outdoors. I fly a lot indoors, seldom get a good GPS lock and it's constantly complaining about magnetic interference, especially when I get close to the refrigerator. Just make sure the prop guards are on and you take it easy. One other thing - not a good idea to fly into the bathroom when the wife is in there - good way to get it slapped out of the air.
2017-7-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-16 17:31
I would like to point out, these are only valid points when flying outdoors. I fly a lot indoors, seldom get a good GPS lock and it's constantly complaining about magnetic interference, especially when I get close to the refrigerator. Just make sure the prop guards are on and you take it easy. One other thing - not a good idea to fly into the bathroom when the wife is in there - good way to get it slapped out of the air.

Don't think the drone will be the only one getting slapped. Lol
2017-7-17
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-17 01:10
Don't think the drone will be the only one getting slapped. Lol

Well..., not unless he uploads that clip to youtube I believe lol
2017-7-17
Use props
Bill in Ohio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-16 13:27
Sorry Bill , not sure what you mean, I never said IMU or compass was in your phone, I am aware where compass and IMU are.

Very much agree with you there should be explanations in manuals and video.

I read a string of your comments.  What interferes with your compass tends to be big metal things, transformers, electric lines, etc.  Sometimes when I launch my Mavic I see that and it is transitory.  In a minute or so it will go away.  I tried to launch next to a metal transport container, like you see on rail flatbeds, and had to move a few feet further away.

There is an explanation of this in the Mavic manual.  I do not have a Spark, but have been looking at getting it for my daughter who hikes a lot.  I thought it would be a good selfie drone and also so she can occasionally check out the trail ahead.
2017-7-17
Use props
Chris Thornberr
lvl.1
United States

Interesting. I was previously told to calibrate the compass every time I change location. What are the symptoms of compass interference? Will there be any issues other than crashing or will you just suddenly lose orientation and crash?
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Chris Thornberr Posted at 2017-7-19 08:31
Interesting. I was previously told to calibrate the compass every time I change location. What are the symptoms of compass interference? Will there be any issues other than crashing or will you just suddenly lose orientation and crash?

Issues with bad compass will be compass heading will be off so when you push stick to go forward you Aircraft will want to go in the direction of compass, so conflict between controller compass and gps, these drones seem to be designed that if there is conflict between compass and gps, gps tends to give up and Atti takes over, but by this time usually AC is out of control.

A lot from what I see is compass problems with these drones can take place on the ground, taking off near metal objects, power lines, rebar concrete, this is why I recommend checking compass heading and also not just take off up to 50 feet where it's almost impossible to recover,

Hope this helps. Good luck.
2017-7-19
Use props
Chris Thornberr
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-19 08:51
Issues with bad compass will be compass heading will be off so when you push stick to go forward you Aircraft will want to go in the direction of compass, so conflict between controller compass and gps, these drones seem to be designed that if there is conflict between compass and gps, gps tends to give up and Atti takes over, but by this time usually AC is out of control.

A lot from what I see is compass problems with these drones can take place on the ground, taking off near metal objects, power lines, rebar concrete, this is why I recommend checking compass heading and also not just take off up to 50 feet where it's almost impossible to recover,

Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for this info - good to know what to look out for!
2017-7-19
Use props
eylneb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-19 08:51

I try to clibrate the compas to get it synced with the RC's heading... but so far its not 100% accurate.. not too sure if its a major problem..

Anyway guys.. just FYI... what keeps your drone hover in place... is either GPS or VPS... without any of these.. you drone doesn't hover in place... it'll just be like any those cheap toy grade drone where it'll drift away as spark is not able to have a reference point to stay put. it is just reacting normally...  

It is not impossible to fly in ATTI mode but you become the "brain" to adjust the joystick to keep it in place..... while with gps or VPS Sparks CPU will adjust its motor to keep it in place..

flying indoor will rely alot on VPS, if the following isnt met... it will switch to ATTI mode

1) reflective surface
2) not bright enough
3) surface has no clear pattern
4) repeating pattern (like on tiles);etc

2017-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-20 19:44
I try to clibrate the compas to get it synced with the RC's heading... but so far its not 100% accurate.. not too sure if its a major problem..

Anyway guys.. just FYI... what keeps your drone hover in place... is either GPS or VPS... without any of these.. you drone doesn't hover in place... it'll just be like any those cheap toy grade drone where it'll drift away as spark is not able to have a reference point to stay put. it is just reacting normally...  

You say RC heading don't you mean AC heading.

Mostly correct, but VPS only works up to approx 26ft from there your AC uses barometer. You must also remember IMU is what keeps your AC level horizontal so if you have a bad compass IMU is trying to work overtime and this is when you get message incorrect IMU heading.
2017-7-21
Use props
fansd60e1d6d
New
Philippines

Hi. What is AC please? Thank you.
2017-7-21
Use props
realstreetuk
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansd60e1d6d Posted at 2017-7-21 15:11
Hi. What is AC please? Thank you.

AC is the spark.. means Air Craft
2017-7-21
Use props
Videoman10
lvl.3
New Zealand

Thanks ... great advice, especially for newbies
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Videoman10 Posted at 2017-7-24 02:30
Thanks ... great advice, especially for newbies

Your welcome, it's tried and tested the last 4 years.
2017-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules