Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Avoid Crash due to Compass Interference
82628 411 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

denkrep Posted at 3-6 09:28
Wow! Thank you very much sir! That sounds like a very cridible explanation that explains a few other cases I've got (but UAV didn't have that bad behaviour that time).
This time I guess it was the concrete / metal construction of pier that could have given the issues you've described.
And, like I said - also it exaplains why each time I was trying to launch AC from the top of my car (not from inside of it) - I also was facing the compas calibration warning right away once I put AC on top of it, so I gave up on that idea (though it sounded to be good idea before, due to legal reasons - car is basically my property, so it could be a bit simpler to discuss some complications with people around - but that's a different story).

Your app will warn you when your craft needs calibration , as it did when you were on top of car roof, but always best to move first before calibration if warning goes away then compass is fine you can check this in your app.
Don’t make things to complicated you have absolutely everything you need to fly safely , you dont require any extra apps and trying to use them will require two devices it’s just not needed. just look for the warnings. And get to know your spark .
2019-3-6
Use props
BKBear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67697 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-11 13:40
Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

Great tip, this is something that I haven't notice on my map, I do recall seeing the red triangle. Still learning all functions on the controller.  
2019-3-8
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you don't calibrate the compass you can get drift and a tilted quadcopter when doing nothing.  I didn't calibrate out of the box for a while but was noticing how the horizon is Always tilted and it drifting.  After calibrating it fixed it.

It was "normal" all the time unless it's on something metal like a hood or on the ground
2019-3-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 3-25 15:13
If you don't calibrate the compass you can get drift and a tilted quadcopter when doing nothing.  I didn't calibrate out of the box for a while but was noticing how the horizon is Always tilted and it drifting.  After calibrating it fixed it.

It was "normal" all the time unless it's on something metal like a hood or on the ground

Compass will not cause craft to tilt from side to side or drift, but IMU will, compass is used for heading and if it needs calibration it will tell you in app, you can also check compass values in your app.
2019-3-25
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-25 15:47
Compass will not cause craft to tilt from side to side or drift, but IMU will, compass is used for heading and if it needs calibration it will tell you in app, you can also check compass values in your app.

I mean, all I did was calibrate the compass in the field and it was way steadier, steadier as in no drift.  It was drifting before calibration which was a minute before calibration.
2019-3-26
Use props
fansa787b813
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39610 ft
United States

Being a new drone pilot and specifically Spark this is very much appreciated.  I will make a copy and be sure to use it each and every time.  Much thanks!!
2019-4-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

fansa787b813 Posted at 4-9 13:11
Being a new drone pilot and specifically Spark this is very much appreciated.  I will make a copy and be sure to use it each and every time.  Much thanks!!

Your welcome .
2019-4-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Calibrate your compass in the most open field.  Do IMU calibration at home after firmware update through PC only.
2019-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 5-23 15:26
Calibrate your compass in the most open field.  Do IMU calibration at home after firmware update through PC only.

You do IMU through your app on your device, not PC .
2019-5-24
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

one more tip: use the UAV forecast app and don't fly if you say it's not a good time to fly. Shows the solar wind value (kp) which should not be greater than 3. This affects the electromagnetic sensors like the compass or the GPS receiver
2019-5-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-23 15:26
Calibrate your compass in the most open field.  Do IMU calibration at home after firmware update through PC only.

You calibrate the OA and VPS in Assistant 2 on a PC, not the IMU...
2019-5-24
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-24 00:36
You do IMU through your app on your device, not PC .

I know but you firmware refresh through PC considering your PC is solid.
2019-5-24
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-24 01:48
You calibrate the OA and VPS in Assistant 2 on a PC, not the IMU...

I never calibrated the IMU through PC.. but I assume the Phantom 4 users who experience drift should as a last resort.
2019-5-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-24 06:48
I never calibrated the IMU through PC.. but I assume the Phantom 4 users who experience drift should as a last resort.

You can't do it with any drone through a PC - it's only done via the app. That is of course in reference to your stating to calibrate the IMU through a PC.
2019-5-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-24 06:48

Then why write this...

2019-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AntDX316 Posted at 5-24 06:47
I know but you firmware refresh through PC considering your PC is solid.

“Calibrate your compass in the most open field.  Do IMU calibration at home after firmware update through PC only”

Above is what you wrote, no mention of FW refresh.

I really dont want to get into with you, looking around the forum and some of your posts and threads, it seems some of the tools are missing out of the toolbox.

It has become clear that either your a bit nuts or you are just trying to get others backs up, I expect you have some plan for all this, so eventually everyone will get fed up with your antics.

Good bye .
2019-5-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-11 20:44
For gesture mode, palm take off and flying without connecting to RC or smartphone. Does the compass issue still affect such users ? How can they avoid compass error issue or they are immune ?

Thanks

I find using a palm/land launch sometimes gives me better GPS/compass lock. Especially if there's metal or concrete on the ground where you're launching your Spark. Although I don't use Gesture Mode, I still just launch from 1 hand. Keeps the drone clean and dry if you don't set it on the ground.

2019-5-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

hvail Posted at 2017-7-16 13:05
Thank you, I really appreciate this.

I've calibrated my Mavic a total of zero times since I got it over two years ago.  I assume it was done at the factory during final checkout/assembly.  It is fine and stable.  In other words, moving it from China to the middle of the USA did not require recalibration.  I may do it one of these days, just for S&G (S..ts and Grins), but haven't done it yet.   

On my old Phantom 3A, I calibrated it many times.  It was "required" before flying according to the OLD manual.  Being a new high-tech toy that many years ago, I assumed it was needed.  In later years, I didn't do it as often.  It eventually went to it's death arguing with a tree.  (Pilot error).  It's repairable, but I won't take the time to do it.
2019-5-27
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-24 07:23
Then why write this...

[view_image]

I read it as him saying to do the IMU calibration after you have done a firmware update via the PC, he didnt say he did the IMU calibration via the PC, he  was on about the firmware via PC
2019-5-28
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-24 08:05
“Calibrate your compass in the most open field.  Do IMU calibration at home after firmware update through PC only”

Above is what you wrote, no mention of FW refresh.

Hey bud, whats happened to ya original post? says its under staff control.....
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-28 18:31
I read it as him saying to do the IMU calibration after you have done a firmware update via the PC, he didnt say he did the IMU calibration via the PC, he  was on about the firmware via PC

He has in other posts but not to worry - I haven't taken the advice
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-28 18:31
I read it as him saying to do the IMU calibration after you have done a firmware update via the PC, he didnt say he did the IMU calibration via the PC, he  was on about the firmware via PC

And this advises that he assumes P4 users should calibrate the IMU through a PC who experience drift...

2019-5-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bashy Posted at 5-28 18:32
Hey bud, whats happened to ya original post? says its under staff control.....

Somewhere along the line they removed a post from a member for being derogatory and during that the somehow also removed OP, post is now on #3 for some reason .
2019-5-29
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah, ok chap, thanks
2019-5-29
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-28 23:11
And this advises that he assumes P4 users should calibrate the IMU through a PC who experience drift...

[view_image]

Granted, i will give you that one, no mater how i play it in my head, its always the same outcome, a poor assumption
2019-5-29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-29 19:13
Granted, i will give you that one, no mater how i play it in my head, its always the same outcome, a poor assumption

Indeed, a poor assumption but I'm sure he and others reading know that the IMU can only be calibrated via the app now so no harm done.
2019-5-29
Use props
MaciekT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2159413 ft
Netherlands

Thank you, it will help
2019-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AG0N-Gary Posted at 5-27 10:05
I've calibrated my Mavic a total of zero times since I got it over two years ago.  I assume it was done at the factory during final checkout/assembly.  It is fine and stable.  In other words, moving it from China to the middle of the USA did not require recalibration.  I may do it one of these days, just for S&G (S..ts and Grins), but haven't done it yet.   

On my old Phantom 3A, I calibrated it many times.  It was "required" before flying according to the OLD manual.  Being a new high-tech toy that many years ago, I assumed it was needed.  In later years, I didn't do it as often.  It eventually went to it's death arguing with a tree.  (Pilot error).  It's repairable, but I won't take the time to do it.

You know with Mavic Pro this was and still is the way, and certainly for me it worked just fine, but it seems dji have somewhat moved on from this with Mavic Air and M2 with these craft the app forces user to calibrate pretty often, the only thing I can say about this is there are a lot less compass problems with these aircraft, so hopefully for whatever reasons dji has managed to tweak problems with compass for the better .
2019-5-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 5-30 05:40
You know with Mavic Pro this was and still is the way, and certainly for me it worked just fine, but it seems dji have somewhat moved on from this with Mavic Air and M2 with these craft the app forces user to calibrate pretty often, the only thing I can say about this is there are a lot less compass problems with these aircraft, so hopefully for whatever reasons dji has managed to tweak problems with compass for the better .

there are a lot less compass problems with these aircraft, so hopefully for whatever reasons dji has managed to tweak problems with compass for the better
Actually the compass has always been trouble free.
The problems have always come from operators not understanding the compass or compass calibration.
Not understanding what the compass does, has always caused problems understanding what caused flight incidents and compass calibration is probably the most misunderstood aspect to drone flying.

With the M2, DJI have strangely forced compass recalibration after 30 days or moving 50 km.
There is no technical reason for this at all and recalibrating the compass doesn't "fix" anything or make your flight any safer.
Once your compass is calibrated, there's no need to ever recalibrate it unless you modify the drone.
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

"Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield"

What does this mean?  Did I get blocked?
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You guys are saying all my advice is bad yet I'm the one who has DJI drones that don't crash.  Rapport has it's flawed and is sometimes overrated especially when new people come along, have a better rapport with other people totally trumping over Any knowledge that is better of those they don't have a good rapport with especially when they hate them.  I see it all the time.
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-28 23:11

[view_image]

People are having drift issues with their Inspire and Matrice gimbals.  They should calibrate through the PC but if they did, and if DJI says nothing is wrong, I would be upset that the setup can't produce usable content every time.

When my drone "drifts" I just rotate hard left and stay, rotate hard right and stay then the drift goes away.
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

"1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to."

This is wrong.  The compass interference rises at times, no idea why.  I get interference in the hundreds.  It gets reset back to a low single or 2 digits green number After calibrating.  The weirdest thing is when you calibrate when it has interference that the numbers are really low.  Now, I'm wondering if you calibrate in an open field, is that better than calibrating in a hard interference area because if you can get low numbers in a hard interference area then the open field calibration should be even lower.  If you calibrate in an open low interference area the interference tolerances would be A lot word when being in a high interference area.  It would be easier if we had a compass engineer tell us what is truly going on so we can make an optimal decision on when and where to calibrate.  Right now, we are all pretty much guessing and those unfortunate ones who do it wrong, lose their drone and worse.

I would say it's very imperative for us to know the real answer other just gamble hoping and thinking nothing would go wrong.  Kind of like the peace you get when driving near people at 50mph going the other direction in a double yellow road that if they crashed into us or us into them we would be f***ed.
2019-5-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-30 21:12
People are having drift issues with their Inspire and Matrice gimbals.  They should calibrate through the PC but if they did, and if DJI says nothing is wrong, I would be upset that the setup can't produce usable content every time.

When my drone "drifts" I just rotate hard left and stay, rotate hard right and stay then the drift goes away.

The IMU, gimbal, compass and RC are only calibrated via the app. The only calibration carried out on a PC is the VPS/OA sensors.
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-30 22:53
The IMU, gimbal, compass and RC are only calibrated via the app. The only calibration carried out on a PC is the VPS/OA sensors.

Yeah, I've never really entered that area as I was worried that it would auto calibrate and I wouldn't be in a position to actually calibrate it correctly.  What's the difference between VPS and OA in detail?
2019-5-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-30 23:07
Yeah, I've never really entered that area as I was worried that it would auto calibrate and I wouldn't be in a position to actually calibrate it correctly.  What's the difference between VPS and OA in detail?

I think you already know the answer...
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-30 23:15
I think you already know the answer...

The same thing?

It has a combination of mini cameras and IR sensors.  I never really truly trust them to work but had a time where I was shooting a roof and was backing up to take shots and I forgot about the tree behind it in the Mavic 2 Zoom.  It stopped of course while alerting the vibrations on the controls and the audible warning.
2019-5-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-30 23:20
The same thing?

It has a combination of mini cameras and IR sensors.  I never really truly trust them to work but had a time where I was shooting a roof and was backing up to take shots and I forgot about the tree behind it in the Mavic 2 Zoom.  It stopped of course while alerting the vibrations on the controls and the audible warning.

So why ask the question...
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-30 23:39
So why ask the question...

If I'm asking, I'm seeking some sort of verification like how our GPS systems work in the drones.
2019-5-30
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-30 23:45
If I'm asking, I'm seeking some sort of verification like how our GPS systems work in the drones.

It's all in the manual. You'll do well reading it
2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules