1200 6 2017-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yoyolut
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123005 ft
France

Hello everyone,

I have read a lot of crash due to problem with GPS. And the answer is often :"Learn how to fly in ATTI mode"

Ok, great idea... but someone can tell me what is the best way to learn safely, and how i can deactivate GPS Mode ?

thanks for your reply
2017-7-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I have read a lot of crash due to problem with GPS. And the answer is often :"Learn how to fly in ATTI mode"

I'd probably disagree with that advice for at least a couple of different reasons, one of which is that many of the Mavic's "GPS problems" people refer to probably involves what I call "BATTI mode", which isn't the same as true ATTI.

how i can deactivate GPS Mode?

The short answer is that you can't, which is the other reason that "learn how to fly in ATTI mode" isn't very useful advice. The Phantom allows you to select ATTI mode but the Mavic doesn't, and the last comment on that subject I saw from a DJI employee indicated it probably never will. If you're really determined to fly a Mavic in ATTI mode you can disable VPS and cover the rear portion of the aircraft in aluminum foil to block GPS reception, but there's no way to disable GPS / select ATTI through normal use of the Mavic. You can, of course, block GPS by flying indoors, but most people don't have access to a large enough indoor location to do that safely.

So realistically the only way you can "learn how to fly in ATTI mode" is to buy and fly a drone that only flies in ATTI mode or that allows you to select it. Maybe that's what the person suggesting it meant in the first place, though it's debatable how useful that will really be if your Mavic winds up in ATTI (or BATTI) mode.
2017-7-13
Use props
MMARKOE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710 ft
United States

The Mavic has Sport mode which gives back the use of control sticks and overrides Program mode. Before I take off on every flight. I make sure I remember to put my finger on the right side of the controller to check that it is in program mode. It reminds me that I can use this switch in an emergency to switch to Sport mode.. This has been necessary two or three times in the last several months when the aircraft decided to land on its own and would not respond to stick control. Quickly switching to sport mode gave instant control of the sticks and I was able to fly the plane back manually.
2017-7-13
Use props
yoyolut
lvl.1
France

Thanks to you DroneFlying,Your answer is very usefull !

It's not easy to chose a drone, if you are beginner, it's not so stupid to buy one with a lot of security system like mavic, but in another way, it's good to practice with a cheaper product...

By the way, i am completely unable to learn how to deal with ATTI or BATTI (I don't no the difference but, i will search for that...) unless i buy a new drone or i wait for a problem with GPS... Not fun...

What will I excpect if my drone goes in ATTI or BATTI mode, is it stable ? or will it come crazy ?  Have you some advise if this bad things occurs ?

Have a nice day,
Yoann
2017-7-13
Use props
yoyolut
lvl.1
France

Thanks MMARKOE

I didn't experienced this problem. Today, my battery was low and Mavic started to go home , i was able to control the mavic despite it started to land.  But your advice sound good,
2017-7-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

yoyolut Posted at 2017-7-13 04:19
Thanks to you DroneFlying,Your answer is very usefull !

It's not easy to chose a drone, if you are beginner, it's not so stupid to buy one with a lot of security system like mavic, but in another way, it's good to practice with a cheaper product...

What will I excpect if my drone goes in ATTI or BATTI mode, is it stable ? or will it come crazy ?

In (true) ATTI mode it won't / can't try to hold its position because it doesn't know its position. It'll drift with the wind and glide to a stop if you fly around and then release the sticks. Yes, it's pretty stable in true ATTI mode, but again that mode isn't selectable.

BATTI mode is displayed in the app as "ATTI" but appears to really just be the flight controller (FC) trying to recover from a situation where it detects bad compass data, and you can see a brief example of that in the video near the top of this thread. Basically it'll rotate on its own and you'll feel like you're fighting to control it, which you are because both you and the FC are affecting its behavior during that time.

Have you some advise if this bad things occurs ?

You still have full throttle control in BATTI mode, so if you ever encounter it I encourage you to gain altitude and let it yaw (rotate) on its own until it recovers. The FC seems to be pretty good at recovering, but it needs enough time to rotate the aircraft until it can reconcile the old / bad yaw value with the corrected compass information. Usually the reason we see threads like the one I mentioned is that the Mavic encountered an obstacle before the FC could recover from BATTI mode.

P.S. Searching for "BATTI" probably won't return much useful information since it's just a term I made up to distinguish it from (true) ATTI mode. People who don't know better assume that they're the same because BATTI is reported as "ATTI" in the app, but I've experienced both and trust me when I say that they're different.

2017-7-13
Use props
yoyolut
lvl.1
France

Thanks to you.

I am happy to have purchased DJI Care refresh... Maybe next year they will accept to renews it...
2017-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules