Lightbridge Gopro4B P2 - Live video feed freezes when recording starts
12Next >
8170 44 2014-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji
lvl.1

United States

Hi guys, The new Gopro Hero 4 Black offers the new shooting modes 4K@30fps, 2.7K@48/50fps and 1080p@120fps.
The live video feed over LB of those new frame-rates/resolutions work fine in preview, but once recording starts, the picture freezes and FPV seizes to work. I tried all modes 720p RT and the slow FHD modes. The previous modes work fine as before.

Are there solutions? Yesterday (10/13/14) DJI posted a LB update. It suppose to work through assitant sofyware, but it doesn't show new update avaiable.
I contacted support, but they never replied with a useful answer, hopefully this forum will be more resourceful..

To make physically a H4-3D out of the H3-3D, to compensate the additional weight of new Gopro (12gr), it took only a quarter, a dime(only w/LB) and some 3M BHV tape to stick it on.

Here's my video to the issue:
http://youtu.be/4g3xWVyJ63k?list=UU3rIOSqfeHjrNLwS5ud_l4A

2014-10-14
Use props
dji
lvl.1

United States

Just was able to apply LB updates, but it didn't fix the issue with Gopro4 of freezing video feed when recording starts.
I was also in touch with Gopro support. They acknowledged issue of no HDMI output in new shooting modes when recording starts.
So, at this point not sure where the bug is...
It's a bit frustrating since I can't use new modes with FPV for framing. Have to fly blind or be capped at 2.7K@30fps.
2014-10-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am using the new firmware and while 4K does exhibit the behavior that you resort, 2.7K worked for me.  Here is a video showing my results.

2014-10-14
Use props
mikegwalk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2251 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-10-15 06:41
I am using the new firmware and while 4K does exhibit the behavior that you resort, 2.7K worked for  ...

Will there be a fix for 4K.. Seems pointless to have such a good camera and expensive fpv and not be able to record. Really would like to know whos end this is on, DJI or Gopro

Just got this from a Gopro Rep

Hello Mike,

Thanks so much for calling in today. I appreciate your patience while we work through this issue - this is an odd behavior that I haven't seen before.

I'm terribly sorry to say that I misinformed you earlier. I thought I had been recording when I had the camera connected via HDMI, but in I had not. I tried it again, and the signal cutout during recording and came back after. From what I can tell, this is the way the camera operates at this point. I'm honestly not sure if an update will be built to address this issue, but I am referring it to our developers for consideration. Hopefully we see a fix come our way soon.

I'll keep this case In Progress so I can check back on any updates that might be made available and let you know right away.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
2014-10-14
Use props
dji
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-10-15 06:41
I am using the new firmware and while 4K does exhibit the behavior that you resort, 2.7K worked for  ...

Thanks, but that's for the current modes limited to 2.7k@30fps. Gopro support acknowledges that the HDMI freezes when recording starts at the new top modes. Both 4k@30 and 1080p@120 push 240 mil pixels per sec, I guess, the chip is too busy to also transcode to 1080p or 720p in 30/60 fps. But they have to fix it, bc it means no hdmi monitoring while shooting, that's not acceptable.
2014-10-14
Use props
dji
lvl.1

United States

dji Posted at 2014-10-15 11:10
Thanks, but that's for the current modes limited to 2.7k@30fps. Gopro support acknowledges that th ...

New LB firmware seems to work fine otherwise and addresses issues mentioned in release note.
2014-10-14
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is not a DJI problem but more of a Gopro issue.  When using the above modes the gopro changed it's output to 480p. hopefully a new gopro fw will fix this issue.
2014-10-15
Use props
dji
lvl.1

Germany

I just downloaded the new Gopro 4 firmware HD4.02.01.02.00 and while it addresses a few issues, as mentioned in release note, it didn't solve the HDMI output freezing at new recoding modes. So please Gorpo engineers, go back to drawing board and fix this problem!!
I'm actually putting my Gopro 3+ back on H3-3D gimbal because I save 25g due higher weight go GP4 and counterweight to balance gimbal.
2014-10-16
Use props
david
lvl.1

United States

It's not a GoPro issue, HDMI supports MANY resolutions, Lightbridge should be able to support the resolutions in HDMI capacity range within reason. Likely a LB firmware upgrade could fix the issue IF the LB processing chips have ability to process the lower resolution.
2014-10-31
Use props
DJI-youzq
lvl.2
China

This problem has been solved technically, but we need more test to release. Try to release next week.
2014-10-31
Use props
kauffman.phil
New

United States

david@levyimage Posted at 2014-11-1 10:11
It's not a GoPro issue, HDMI supports MANY resolutions, Lightbridge should be able to support the re ...

I for one think this is unacceptable...In fact I think LB is a flawed product that doesn't have the type of product support it should.

Let me explain myself by presenting facts. Of course this is all anecdotal but this has been my experience so far.

After the product arrives at my doorstep I follow install instructions for the 2.4 ghz controller. No dice, didn't see that I needed a RC with training port. No big deal. That's my fault. Just tack on an extra $300 to a product that already costs $1400.

So I Buy the Futaba T8J, and oh....The LB mount sold by DJI is only compatible with DJI controllers. So, unless you have a Vision and 5.8ghz controller/receiver combo it's worthless...par for the course. After I install everything, map out my controller, take it out for a test, this..No output when recording...great. Sitting there looking like an idiot with Zeiss Cinemizer glasses on while staring at nothing.

The whole point of this is simply to see what I'm recording so that I don't waste my time out there in the field. Right now I'm doing the exact opposite of that. Wasting a whole bunch of time with a product that has poor support, poor instructions, and oh...Just read on their website they are releasing a new DJI controller with a training port...awesome. Could've done with that about 4 weeks ago when I started this horrific journey. The other day I asked myself, Why should I be setting degrees and planes and such on my controller? That's totally useless to me. Yet I had to sit there and fiddle with another product (Futaba) that also has bad instructions and nearly non-existent customer support.
2014-11-1
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Lightbridge will work as a video downlink with other controllers but you will have no OSD.  I use the Lightbridge on a Phantom 2 Vision, a Phantom 2 with H3-3D, a S1000 with A2 and a S900 with A2.  They all work well.  Users have been able to make the Cinemizers to work but that is not our product.  For the Phantom series the new DJI Tx with tilt knob and trainer port works well and has a suggested retail of less than $100.  I am not sure what you wanted to use this on, a Phantom 2 Vision +???  It is not compatible with that Phantom model as the camera outputs on the same frequency.

I would like to help you but I am not sure what specific help you need.  Please let me know and I will try to assist you.  
2014-11-2
Use props
shields
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53301 ft
Canada

I'm certain that I speak for many, many people when I say that the combination of GoPro's new 4K capabilities and Lightbridge's amazing downlink qualities will take our aerial cinematography to a whole new level.  I personally know of well over a dozen people who have held off in their purchase of a Lightbridge until this "FPV-while-recording" challenge with the GoPro 4 4K  is addressed.  Our firm owns many products - monitors, recorders, switchers, etc.,  that all have the capability of seamlessly accepting resolution changes in signal without blacking out/shutting down.  DJI please make this firmware upgrade a priority.
2014-11-5
Use props
buchanan0505
lvl.2

United States

DJI-youzq Posted at 2014-11-1 15:22
This problem has been solved technically, but we need more test to release. Try to release next week ...

Any updates on this issue? About to return my whole setup b/c of it unfortunately.
2014-11-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

i returned my GoPro 4.  The Lightbridge works better than the improvement on the GP.  My GP3HB works just fine for my purposes.  If you need 4K then I would get a GH4.  Just my opinion, but I have had conversations with several uses that have done the same.  DJI will have a 4K solution soon.
2014-11-9
Use props
shields
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53301 ft
Canada

Of course they're going to avoid a simple firmware upgrade that will support the new Gp4 4k - now that they have their own 4k camera on the market.  WAY TO "INSPIRE" LOYALTY DJI!!!   Avid did the same thing in the 90's and the moment there was an attractive alternative, every user jumped ship.  I'm surprised DJI isn't aware of consumer support history.  What a shame.  
2014-11-14
Use props
AVNes
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-10 15:11
i returned my GoPro 4.  The Lightbridge works better than the improvement on the GP.  My GP3HB works ...

Hey Tahoe_Ed -

Thanks for all the informative information you supply on here. Can you correct me if I am wrong or shed some light on this...?

I heard that its not a DJI thing, that it's the output of the Hero4 Black not having a 4K output for HDMI?

Thanks.
2014-11-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AVNes Posted at 2014-11-16 07:05
Hey Tahoe_Ed -

Thanks for all the informative information you supply on here. Can you correct me  ...

The GPH4B when running the higher resolutions dow grades the HDMI output to 480p from 1080p.  Right now the Lightbridge does not recognize SD video as HD video.  It is a processor issue on the GP.  DJI is trying to address this in future firmware updates.  We did not change but they did.
2014-11-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

shields@suedepr Posted at 2014-11-14 20:27
Of course they're going to avoid a simple firmware upgrade that will support the new Gp4 4k - now th ...

Shields we sell a lot more H3-3D's than we will ever sell our Inspire.  Many users of the P2 use the Lightbridge.  We will continue to support them.  We are talking about a broad market vs a specialized market.  Guys are attached to their GoPro's we understand that.  You have to give us a little credit in understanding our market and customers on this issue.
2014-11-16
Use props
dji
lvl.1

United States

I just upgraded the LB air system software. Base station needs no update. SD works now.
I tested the Gopro 4Blk in 4K@30 and 1080p@120p, this time the picture didn't freeze when recording started. I have to live with SD resolution, but at least it's a 16/9 picture. Finally I can use the GP4Blk for aerials! Now Gopro has to fix the SD issue on their end.
Thanks DJI!
2015-1-7
Use props
dji
lvl.1

United States

dji
UPDATE

2015-1-8 07:52
I just upgraded the LB air system software to v1.1.10. Base station needs no update. SD works now.
I tested the Gopro 4Blk in 4K@30 and 1080p@120p, this time the picture didn't freeze when recording started. I have to live with SD resolution, but at least it's a 16/9 picture. Finally I can use the GP4Blk for aerials! Now Gopro has to fix the SD issue on their end.
Thanks DJI!
2015-1-7
Use props
mdurstewitz.ema
New

United States

dji Posted at 2015-1-8 08:32
dji
UPDATE

That's great news!  

Realizing that the GPH4B can only output 480 SD when recording in the HD modes,  IF they release a firmware update that allows HD output when recording at the highest HD modes (1080p 120fps or 4k 30fps), would this overwhelm LB and increase latency?  Do many people actually record the ground end video and expect to use it in production?  I would expect low latency to properly frame pictures and video, as well as LB's greater range would be preferable to HD at the ground end.  Just wondering what LB's latency capability is with the super HD modes.
2015-1-28
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

mdurstewitz.ema Posted at 2015-1-29 00:49
That's great news!  

Realizing that the GPH4B can only output 480 SD when recording in the HD mode ...

There is still an issue with the LB Firmware update to fix this issue. GPH4B in 4K record mode now outputs to an iOS device but not to an HDMI device (in my case an Atomos Ninja Blade) . This is not a GoPro issue. I hooked up the GPH4B directly to the Atomos Ninja Blade while recording in 4K and the signal is shown properly in 1080p on the Atomos Ninja Blade.
2015-2-9
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

mdurstewitz.ema Posted at 2015-1-29 00:49
That's great news!  

Realizing that the GPH4B can only output 480 SD when recording in the HD mode ...

Latency is approx  300 milliseconds (3/10 of a second)

IMG_0829.jpg
2015-2-9
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

eric.wik.gmail Posted at 2015-2-10 02:09
Latency is approx  300 milliseconds (3/10 of a second)

a) iPhone time is the  timer display

b) iPhone timer display shown on Atomos Ninja Blade is from the video signal received from the GPH4B mounted on a Phantom 2, transmitted via Lightbridge Ground unit HDMI output to the Atomos Ninja Blade.
c) The signal lags by 3/10th of a second on the Atomos (1:00.5)  versus the actual time of (1:00.8) on the iphone timer.
2015-2-9
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-17 00:17
The GPH4B when running the higher resolutions dow grades the HDMI output to 480p from 1080p.  Righ ...

This is not correct. GPH4B outputs 1080p HD. I have tested it using an Atomos Ninja Blade.
CORRECTION : Outputs 1080p or 720p in preview mode, and it down grades to 480p in record mode when in 4K
2015-2-9
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-17 00:21
Shields we sell a lot more H3-3D's than we will ever sell our Inspire.  Many users of the P2 use t ...

DJI's technology and pace of innovation is simply awesome.  However this issue needs a fix, not passing the responsibility to someone else. Have wasted a lot of time sifting through misinformation on this topic. Its not a case of being attached to GoPro particularly but rather the quest to take great video,and 4K video is awesome. The HDMI output is essential to that, for effective FPV flying and for also monitoring the video feed via a Field monitor such as the Atomos Ninja Blade.
2015-2-9
Use props
melvin.abreu
New

United States

So is there is still no fix for GPH4B recording 4k, viewing through hdmi monitor?
2015-2-18
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

melvin.abreu@gm Posted at 2015-2-18 23:23
So is there is still no fix for GPH4B recording 4k, viewing through hdmi monitor?

One possible solution until  DJI updates the firmware to handle 1080 output from the GPH4B to the Lightbridge air unit via the HDMI cable is to instead  use the AV feed from the gimbal to the light bridge.
Setup would be Gimbal cable to FPV Hub, FPV Hub to Lightbridge AV input via the VTX cable / port. It won't be HDMI on the monitor but at least the GPH4B will be recording in 4K. Have ordered the parts, will try it out this weekend and post results.

You will need an FPV Hub Kit and the  AV in 3-pin connector:
GHR-03V-S  - explained on the following thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2201622
This is the VTX port on the FPV Hub which will connect to the Lightbridge AV in Port

FPV-Hub

FPV-Hub
2015-2-19
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

eric.wik.gmail Posted at 2015-2-20 00:58
One possible solution until  DJI updates the firmware to handle 1080 output from the GPH4B to the L ...

No joy on this option either. Video feed does not come through from the FPV hub.
2015-2-21
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, Erik you were getting 1080p out of the GoPro while recording in 4K? I too am stuck on the lack of available options. Hero 4 is simply the best go to camera at the moment. Lightbridge needs to support it better.
2015-2-21
Use props
eric.wik.gmail
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

ianwood Posted at 2015-2-22 03:26
So, Erik you were getting 1080p out of the GoPro while recording in 4K? I too am stuck on the lack o ...

Done some more testing on this and I think I can say with a high degree of confidence that this is not a DJI / Lightbridge issue, but a GoPro issue. When I connected the GoPro4Black directly to an Atomos Ninja Blade using a Micro HDMI to HDMI connector in 4K mode and hit the record button, the output to the Ninja Blade went blank. Tried it several times, with the same result.

To clarify the issues on this thread with respect to GPH4B / Lightbridge record and output states, here are some screen shots of the testing
My setup used for testing

My Setup used for testing

My Setup used for testing

Direct output from GPH4B to Ninja Blade (video feed comes in at 1080p - top left info on screen-
the Ninja Blade auto detects the incoming video signal format and displays)
IMG_0977.JPG

Output from Lightbridge Ground station to Ninja Blade with GPH4B set to 4K in preview mode
Lightbridge is sending out a 720p feed (although I have had 1080p outputs as well. Can't figure
out why it changes from time to time)

IMG_0967.JPG

Video feed directly from GPH4B to Ninja Blade in 4k record mode - No signal detected from the GPH4B

IMG_0978.JPG

Looks like we need to get onto the GoPro forum and ask them for a fix.

2015-2-22
Use props
eric.wik
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

eric.wik.gmail Posted at 2015-2-22 19:46
Done some more testing on this and I think I can say with a high degree of confidence that this is  ...

It would seem (from other threads on this forum and other forums) that we are trapped between DJI and GoPro specs. Either DJI has to build support for 480p video that is coming out of the GoPro when recording at 4K or GoPro has to support 720p video at a minimum when recording in 4k - which is the minimum format supported by Lightbridge.

Since months have passed since this issue surfaced, it appears neither organisation likely has this down as a priority with DJi developing their own cameras and GoPro apparently developing UAV's.
2015-2-22
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

480p is supported in the most recent LB firmware. But, it does not support OSD output over HDMI which they are looking into. I got the LB thinking 480p was fully supported but it is only partially supported currently.
2015-2-25
Use props
eric.wik
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

ianwood Posted at 2015-2-26 13:05
480p is supported in the most recent LB firmware. But, it does not support OSD output over HDMI whic ...

If I understand it correctly, OSD is supported over HDMI and AV as the OSD feed gets transmitted downstream from the LB Air Unit (not at the point of the video input). Since 480p is SD and is supported via the AV input, getting 480p via the HDMI output has no advantage other than allowing the Gimbal to charge the GPH4 via the USB port.
2015-2-27
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The GoPro outputs 480p over HDMI when recording in most 2.7K modes and all 4K modes. And while 480p is not supported on all HDMI devices, DJI commited to supporting it which is great. However, the Lightbridge currently still does not support displaying OSD in 480p mode over HDMI. DJI has said they are going to fix it but we have no idea when that fix will be available.

What makes it even worse is the lack of iOS support.
It seems all DJI resources are currently focused on the Inspire and Lightbridge is far down the priority list.
2015-3-14
Use props
eric.wik
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

ianwood Posted at 2015-3-15 10:37
The GoPro outputs 480p over HDMI when recording in most 2.7K modes and all 4K modes. And while 480p  ...

Could not get the AV input to Lightbridge to work. Have given up wasting time on this on gone back to the GPH3+ Black. In addition to the lack of 720p output, the GPH4 Black keeps getting stuck where you have to take it off the Gimbal, pull out the camera battery, and re-install.

Add in the extra weight of the GPH4 (camera plus counter weight balance of 12gm) , and its simply not worth the effort.

2015-3-16
Use props
simon
New

Germany

is there a solution to this record problem?

i have still a 480p video when i push the record button on 4k 30fps or 1080p 120 fps.

sorry dji but this is not acceptable at a price about 1200€ and that long time since the problem apears. its a horrible support. come on and fix this!!!!
2015-10-3
Use props
rdteam54.dji
R&D Team

Hong Kong

simon@ferroxx.d Posted at 2015-10-4 10:34
is there a solution to this record problem?

i have still a 480p video when i push the record button ...

Hi Simon, the firmware support osd in 480p mode has been released, please upgrade your device.
2015-10-8
Use props
simon
New

Germany

yes sure i only have a 480p video on hdmi output. and thats the problem.

lightbridge switches the video on hmdi output from 1080p to 480p when record button on hero4 is pushed. (on hero4 settings are 4k/30fps)
but lightbridge doesn't switch the resolution on record when hero4 is turned to 1080p/60fps (all resolutions from hero3 are supported,  there's  no downgrade to 480p on hdmi output.)

it's cant be true that i've bought a 1200€ FPV system and i have a video like a 5ghz system for 30€.

i think you can fix this....PLEASE!
2015-10-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules