X5R footage transfer on mac
3378 7 2017-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ABMKE
New
United States

How do you transfer footage from the X5R on a mac? The only option I can find is to transcode in CineLight to ProRes or DNG sequence. Which means only shooting raw, and so far without audio passing through to ProRes. The files do not appear at all in Finder, not even as hidden.

On MacOS 10.12.5 w/ latest version of CineLight.

2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The JPEG pictures and other videos are saved (not the DNG) in SD card, can your Mac read the SD card?
2017-7-17
Use props
ABMKE
New
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-17 02:51
The JPEG pictures and other videos  are saved (not the DNG) in SD card, can your Mac read the SD card?

Got it, thanks. So for workflow: the microSD card contains the compressed/proxy footage and the SSD contains the raw.

In its current version CineLight serves only as a transcoder, as even with a top of the line iMac I can barely make contrast adjustments while paused. If I could copy the source footage off the card to a faster ssd it might improve things, but the only option is transcoding then grading in Resolve/Premiere.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ABMKE Posted at 2017-7-17 07:07
Got it, thanks. So for workflow: the microSD card contains the compressed/proxy footage and the SSD contains the raw.

In its current version CineLight serves only as a transcoder, as even with a top of the line iMac I can barely make contrast adjustments while paused. If I could copy the source footage off the card to a faster ssd it might improve things, but the only option is transcoding then grading in Resolve/Premiere.

More accurately, only raw video without any compression are saved in SSD, others including RAW pictures and proxy footage are saved in SD card.
The SSD is encrypted and cannot save other videos, you can export the footage from SSD card by Cinelight and edit by Premiere or other programs.
2017-7-17
Use props
fans9dc19923
lvl.1
Australia

that does not really address the question. We understand that the stills (jpeg and raw) and lores proxy including audio is saved on the SD card. There appears to be no audio saved on the SSD. If I use a Blackmagic camera there is a wav file included with the DNG sequence that I can directly load into Resolve.

What actually is the format recorded on the SSD from the X5R? Why can the image files not be seen? What logic is there if the files are DNG to not allowing us to copy them directly and not use the Cinelight software that I find completely redundant, let alone it is incapable of playing back 4K images on a full powered Mac Pro.  I want to be able to access straight from the SSD the files and back them up onto other SSD's or Raid HDD's that is the workflow. I do not want to corrupt the images or correct anything prior to Resolve, which has far more professional adjustment than Cinelight.  Can we explain why I cannot see the files on the SSD, copy the files or even load the files straight from SSD to Resolve?

I am professional film maker who began his career in analogue film post production and I pioneered the transition to digital.. work flow is what I know, and Cinelight is a huge clog in this flow - FInally... Why is there no audio file included with the Raw sequence on the SSD?
2018-1-10
Use props
fans9dc19923
lvl.1
Australia

Oh... I forgot to mention another thing that DJI has missed in workflow since it really knows little about post production... by hiding the files and using cinelight, guess what majorly important piece of information is discarded? The original timestamps of the files... what that means for those who use PROFESSIONAL workflows is that you have just lost any sync capability to your audio files.

Congratulations DJI I generating business for digislate companies and luckily since I still have a digislate in my kit from my Cinema Film Aaton Camera, I can work around it... the point being, why should I have to?
2018-1-10
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Am I understanding this correctly?

So, when you shoot a video with the X5R there is currently no way to access the cDNG files directly?  You have to convert to ProRes first?

What’s the point of shooting RAW in the first place then?
2018-5-5
Use props
MikeMilton
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20075 ft
Canada

From the manual, pg 5

You can export a DNG sequence, TIFF sequence, or various levels of ProRes from proxy to 4444XQ.

AFAIK, the DNG sequence seems to be and unencrypted version of the RAW recording on the SSD
2018-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules