Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Alitude mode question
1573 12 2015-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
atcosby
lvl.2

United States

Hey guys I am new to the board as far as posting goes, but I have been keeping up with the board for sometime now.  I have been a proud owner of the DJI Phantom 2 for over a month now but I am still figuring out all the control settings.  I have a question for you guys and I am sure you guys will know the answer.  

My question concerns about the altitude mode.  For example, during my normal procedure I will let the phantom lock onto 7 satellites before take off.  This will allow the phantom to obtain its home point position from where I currently launched the quad.  Now if I am in the air and say I decide to flip the switch to Altitude mode from my understanding the phantom will no longer be in GPS lock and it will basically just drift in the air depending on your momentum plus wind.  Now here's the main question.  What happens if I am flying in altitude mode and I either lose signal or the battery is at low level?  Normally the phantom 2 will come back to home position if its in the GPS position.  Since it is no longer in gps mode what will happen at this point? If I was to turn the gps back on would it be able to relocate its home position?

Also if the phantom was left in Altitude mode would it try to descend down at its current position in the air? I am eager to know what would happen so any advice would greatly be appreciated.

My setup for the DJI Phantom 2 contains a Go Pro 3 plus, H3-3D Gimbal, and a Black Pearl Monitor for FPV flying when needed.  I have had a lot of fun so far filming our duck club from an aerial perspective.  FPV flying really gives a whole new feel to flying after upgrading from a Ominous training quad.
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

First it is attitude mode and to use it, you have to have your Phantom setup in NAZA-m mode from your Phantom Assistant program 3.8.
If you lose control signal or low battery, it will go to RTH (return to home) mode automatically.  As long as you don't lose sat lock, (6 sats minimum) it will go to the altitude you have set for RTH and come home.  When you get back in range and get your control connection back, you can flip the switch back to GPS mode and regain control.
2015-3-20
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I believe, but I'm prepared to be corrected, that it will land where it is in he event of low battery.

If you turn to gps mode, it should return to home ( if it hasn't lost gps signals)
2015-3-20
Use props
PanamonCreel
Second Officer

United States

a.) it is Attitude and not Altitude Mode
b.) GPS mode is actually Attitude mode with GPS assistance, that´s why DJI calls it GPS-Atti
c.) The GPS itself is always ON and doesn´t switch off if you select Atti mode and Failsafe RTH will still work as long as the GPS can lock onto 6+ Sats.
2015-3-20
Use props
atcosby
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the reply Gerry and I had a feeling you would be one of the first members to answer my question seeing that you are very active on the forums.  Ok so that all makes good sense, so even though I turn the GPS mode off on the transmitter the phantom still is able to find its way home correct? That's if I set it on GPS before take off and allow sufficient time for it to home in on satellites.   So is the GPS mode basically just for the phantom to be able to lock itself into position during flight?
2015-3-20
Use props
atcosby
lvl.2

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-3-21 03:02
a.) it is Attitude and not Altitude Mode
b.) GPS mode is actually Attitude mode with GPS assistance, ...

Thanks for answering and clearing things up.  
2015-3-20
Use props
atcosby
lvl.2

United States

I have been flying mostly in GPS Mode but I read some advice where flying in Attitude mode can help with smoother filming and also you can use the wind to your advantage when returning home depending if your coming from an upwind position and flying downwind.
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

atcosby@aol.com Posted at 2015-3-21 03:06
Thanks for the reply Gerry and I had a feeling you would be one of the first members to answer my qu ...

You cannot actually turn off the GPS.  The top switch for the S1 is GPS meaning you have altitude yaw and drift stability.  If you have NAZA-M mode setup and IOC checked in the pt2 program on your computer and put the s1 switch into atti mode. you still have altitude stability, but you will drift with the wind.  When you take off with 6 sats or more, you have locked in home point.  
You can set RTH altitude in the pt2 program, just make sure  it is higher than the highest object that is in your flying area.  Triggering RTH will send your phantom to that altitude first, then fly to your home point, and land.  You can take control back by flipping the switch to the top gps position, then go back to atti mode after you regained signal.
2015-3-20
Use props
fhagan02
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Correct. Even in ATTI mode, if the bat gets low or you loose controller connection due to out of range, the quad will go into Failsafe RTH mode and fly back to your last marked Home Position. It will go through the entire proceedure by landing and turning the motors off UNLESS you flip the switch back to GPS to regain control.

NOTE: In first ATTI mode (middle position of the S1 switch) the phantom will drift with the wind when hovering BUT it will still stay at the current Altitude like in GPS mode. (Watch your FPV when flying forward full speed in ATTI mode. Notice how far down the front props lean into the frame. It really digs hard and flys fast!)

TIP: If you're wanting to fly back to your Home Position in a hurry, switch from GPS to the Middle ATTI position and use your FPV to fly home. The Phantom flies much faster in ATTI than in GPS mode.

I've set my Phantom to NAZA mode vs Phantom Mode in the PT2 software assistant. This allows me to use Home Lock (S2 switched all the way down) if I get disoriented. NAZA mode also allows me to set my 2nd ATTI position (S1 switched all the way down) as Failsafe. So again if I become disoriented or loose FPV signal I can flip S1 all the way down and the quad will fly home. When I regain visual I just switch it back to GPS to control the Phantom 2.
2015-3-20
Use props
atcosby
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the great advice and I am glad to see valuable inputs from you guys in such a short notice.  Next time I fly I will test this feature in wide open country side and play around with the ATTI Mode.  I also have the RTH set to 60 meters in case I am near tall structures (Pines, Buildings, or Towers.)
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

atcosby@aol.com Posted at 2015-3-21 04:10
Thanks for the great advice and I am glad to see valuable inputs from you guys in such a short notic ...

Just remember if you are in ATTI mode with your S1 switch and you put the S2 switch into home lock, (bottom position) and pull straight back on the right stick, you will come back at the altitude you are presently at.  RTH and Failsafe modes will take it to preset altitude.
2015-3-20
Use props
Capt. Bill
Second Officer

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-21 04:20
Just remember if you are in ATTI mode with your S1 switch and you put the S2 switch into home lock ...

If it goes into RTH/Fail Safe and is above the RTH/Fail Safe altitude it will stay at that altitude when returning home. It will not descend to the RTH/Fail Safe altitude.
2015-3-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-3-21 14:43
If it goes into RTH/Fail Safe and is above the RTH/Fail Safe altitude it will stay at that altitud ...

Right, only if you are below the preset mode.  It won't descend.
2015-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules