7770 39 2017-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HellFire77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So I got my OSMO+ back in record time from a dead handle problem(thanks DJI Mindy) https://forum.dji.com/thread-104080-1-1.html

But it seems it was damaged in shipping?? I have no idea how it was packed super well both there and back.

But its super blurry when in infinite focus. I have tried upgrading the firmware and resetting the unit by holding the trigger and shutter and pulling down on the power button.

I took 3 pics one with infinite focus,

Infinity Blurry

Infinity Blurry

One when I told the OSMO to focus on the trees. It’s a bit sharper but still not very sharp

Focus Point center

Focus Point center

and a picture from my Samsung S8…..

S8 Pic

S8 Pic

Any ideas on how I can fix this or do I have to send it back again……

2017-7-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I'm so sorry to hear that. Please use AF (auto focus) for still pictures, as well as the videos. Our engineer is working on improve the quality of infinite focus.
Please let me know if the footage is still blurry with AF.
2017-7-18
Use props
amadeo
lvl.2
Iceland

I had also problem with my infinite focus. I made a short video to show it - it's bellow. It's not very blurry as i saw some videos here but you can see the difference between auto focus and infinite (the best way to see the difference is to download the video). When it will be improved? is it software or hardware? Should I give my osmo+ back to repair or wait for firmware update. Thanks!

dropbox.com/s/z35tdt89pvga4r6/autofocus.mov?dl=0

2017-7-18
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

I for some reason tested mine again on the weekend and it came out super sharp at infinity focus. I was like wow that is strange. Maybe leaving it powered off for a day fixed it?? So I played around with focusing on one point on something within 6 feet and that worked. Then I put it back to infinity focus again and it was back to a bit blurry. It seems like the motor or the software dosent know how to move the focus element in the lens properly.

Can I downgrade the firmware to fix this problem?

DJI Mindy: I will try autofocus and see what results that yields.
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HellFire77 Posted at 2017-7-18 17:28
I for some reason tested mine again on the weekend and it came out super sharp at infinity focus. I was like wow that is strange. Maybe leaving it powered off for a day fixed it?? So I played around with focusing on one point on something within 6 feet and that worked. Then I put it back to infinity focus again and it was back to a bit blurry. It seems like the motor or the software dosent know how to move the focus element in the lens properly.

Can I downgrade the firmware to fix this problem?

Yes, you can download the firmware to have a try but it may not have much improvement. We don't suggest to use infinite focus at the moment, we will try our best to improve it.
2017-7-19
Use props
amadeo
lvl.2
Iceland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-19 02:09
Yes, you can try to download the firmware to have a try but it may not have much improvement. We don't suggest to use infinite focus at the moment, we will try our best to improve it.

DJI Mindy: So if i understand well for photos it's good to use autofocus. But what with Videos? Should I also use autofocus or infinity focus (infinity is blurry in video). Will the infinity focus be improve in videos also?
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

amadeo Posted at 2017-7-20 07:43
DJI Mindy: So if i understand well for photos it's good to use autofocus. But what with Videos? Should I also use autofocus or infinity focus (infinity is blurry in video). Will the infinity focus be improve in videos also?

amadeo, please try autofocus as well when take videos, our engineer is working on improving infinite focus quality, we are sorry for the inconvenience brought.
2017-7-23
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Mindy,

Its the middle of summer when I want to use my OSMO+ the most, is there any update from the Engineer( I hope you have more than one working on the problem) on when the problem will be fixed?

Thanks
Chris
2017-8-6
Use props
eSysman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 409810 ft
United Kingdom

I have just bought an Osmo+ and I'm having the same issue. I only just used it today for the first time and all of the footage is unusable. I'm so disappointed. If I select AF and press on the screen it focuses but as soon as I switch it to infinity mode it goes blurred again. I didn't know this and set it to infinity 'to be safe'.
2017-8-7
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Ya I know, I have had a wedding and 2 birthdays this summer that I cant use the OSMO+ for because when I use AF it hunts all the time for focus and misses and ruins the video. Not happy with it at all. I see no reason that this feature should be broken let alone broken for this long....
2017-8-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HellFire77 Posted at 2017-8-6 08:59
Hi Mindy,

Its the middle of summer when I want to use my OSMO+ the most, is there any update from the Engineer( I hope you have more than one working on the problem) on when the problem will be fixed?

I understand, our engineers are trying their best to get it fixed, you won't wait too long, sorry again for all the inconvenience that has been caused.
2017-8-8
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

I am heading to a air show this weekend any chance the problem has been fixed yet? I would love to use the $1000 camera for video and not a paper weight...
2017-8-11
Use props
Tune345
lvl.3
Flight distance : 446138 ft
United States

Any updates ?
2017-8-12
Use props
iardab
lvl.1
Russia

Just waiting for the firmware update...
2017-8-13
Use props
fans51dc4a5a
New
Flight distance : 1552 ft

United States

I just bought an OSMO+ as well, and the infinite focus is blurry, like others have said. I'd like to use the auto focus for stills, but it rarely seems to focus on what I tap on. It always focuses on the background. This is for stills. I tap on the subject I want to focus, but it's slightly fuzzy compared to the background. Am I doing something wrong?
2017-8-13
Use props
Tune345
lvl.3
Flight distance : 446138 ft
United States

fans51dc4a5a Posted at 2017-8-13 10:19
I just bought an OSMO+ as well, and the infinite focus is blurry, like others have said. I'd like to use the auto focus for stills, but it rarely seems to focus on what I tap on. It always focuses on the background. This is for stills. I tap on the subject I want to focus, but it's slightly fuzzy compared to the background. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't know if i can answer that because there is a focus issue recently so we have to wait for the firmware upgrade but may be go back and then focus again or go very near and the focus or while far away bring your hand immediately in front of the gimbal and then focus and refocus on the subject after removing your hand. Lol i know  !
2017-8-13
Use props
ManualFocus
New
Flight distance : 1552 ft

United States

Thanks, I'll give that a try!
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HellFire77 Posted at 2017-8-11 20:30
I am heading to a air show this weekend any chance the problem has been fixed yet? I would love to use the $1000 camera for video and not a paper weight...

HellFire, I sent you a PM, please check at your most convenience. Thanks.
2017-8-14
Use props
rangerian
New
Australia

I have this exact same issue. It ruined a full day of location shooting. Is there a fix for this problem now?
2017-10-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

rangerian Posted at 2017-10-19 19:45
I have this exact same issue. It ruined a full day of location shooting. Is there a fix for this problem now?

Rangerian, please ensure that your osmo+ is the latest version. If not, update to the latest one.
2017-10-20
Use props
mrmaxm
lvl.1

India

I've got exactly same issue.
After two days, on third day of filming it suddenly switched to complete blurry image during video filming. Few next days of filming, issue persisted.
Infinity Focus is enabled. AF - is not an option as it will trigger refocusing ruining footage.
I do not use zoom feature at all, and heard that no zoom Osmo has no such issue. If zero zoom set, could it use similar technique for focusing as normal Osmo?

I've used lens calibration as suggested in release notes of 1.6.1.0 firmware update, but it only slightly improved an issue and still image just goes into blur randomly at some points.
If there is a way to set manually focus and avoid it refocusing, or you have to improve your focusing issues guys.

This is completely unacceptable for such equipment, it is not $100 camera.
2017-10-23
Use props
mrmaxm
lvl.1

India

Here is screenshot of 1080p video when it turned blurry.
Untitled-1.jpg
2017-10-23
Use props
mrmaxm
lvl.1

India

Here is recent focus issue video. Notice how at 0:04 it switches to blurry. It sometimes does it even to more blurry for no reason. Watch in 1080p of course.
1.6.1.0 Firmware, Lens Calibrated, No Zoom, Infinity Focus On.

2017-10-23
Use props
USD-Andreas
New

Germany

Hello, I have the same Problem with my Osmo+. Is there any solution to fix the Problem??? I‘m very unhappy with the focus of my Osmo+.
2018-1-28
Use props
fanse4e3b2f1
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

ANY UPDATES????? MY GOD! Im about to sell my osmo plus because of this issue.. please fix the infinity focus! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
2018-1-31
Use props
hporras
New
Flight distance : 10971 ft
United States

Any News? What's the best way to use it with this problem?
2018-1-31
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-18 01:06
I'm so sorry to hear that. Please use AF (auto focus) for still pictures, as well as the videos. Our engineer is working on improve the quality of infinite focus.
Please let me know if the footage is still blurry with AF.

The problem is, unless I am horribly mistaken, that, in order to use auto focus, everything else must be on auto as well, I.E. the ISO and shutter speed.

For a lot of people, that will not work, the auto feature has a tendency to choose really high ISO settings which causes too much grain in the finished picture.  Also, when taking video, there would be no way to follow the shutter speed rule (shutter speed should be twice the frame rate) which would create unacceptable results for those going for more of a polished cinematic feel.  Also, a floating shutter speed in video could make post processing problematic as any grading applied to the footage would be different each time the shutter speed randomly changed, likewise, it can cause  a random darkening and lightening effect in the footage.

It isn’t so bad with still pictures, but even then, it could create a horrible problem when shooting timelapses, panoramas, or manual HDRs.  The floating shutter can cause a very noticeable flickering effect in timelapses, cause an inconsistent and blotchy panorama, and foul up an HDR.  Likewise the random levels of grain introduced from the floating ISO could also cause undesirable effects with those as well.

Speaking for myself, I almost ALWAYS shoot in manual mode so that I know exactly what I am getting and it is consistent for post production.  But the way DJI has set up the program, when shooting in manual, only infinity focus is available.  If infinity focus is not working right, that is a problem.

Is my understanding flawed?  Is there a way to use auto focus when shooting in manual mode?

It doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult to allow for auto focus in manual mode, instead I just get the “metering disabled” message.
2018-1-31
Use props
ucmena
lvl.1
Flight distance : 201558 ft
United States

I am having the same trouble when using Litchi for Osmo to take a 360 Panoramic.  It works quite well, but the pictures are just NOT IN FOCUS.  I tried JPEG and Raw and adjusted and sharpened.  I also tried to set it to take more time before pictures,  with no real luck.  Jump over to the DJI GO App and it takes a much more in focus picture.  I am trying to update the firmware from 1.6 to 1.11 but having ZERO luck with that as well.  Any answers out there?
2018-2-3
Use props
Lwgray 0
lvl.2
Malaysia

Hm... I've been testing this camera out for a while now and it really is hard work! The Infinity focus is soft. You can recalibrate and recalibrate but as soon as you start moving, it goes soft.

Auto Focus works well until you begin moving when it goes soft and then sharp and then soft. Varying light conditions as you move seem to be a part of the issue. You constantly need to tap the screen to refocus.

For best results you have to stick it on manual, keep the ISO  low, preferably 200, because there is too much noise above that level.

You need consistent lighting conditions. And minimal movement, preferably in one direction at a time. Complex movement creates a wobbly focus and, is very hard to keep a subject framed.

You can't zoom without losing focus. Though the use of a Zoom shot in a professional setting is a rarity. So you set your zoom and then focus. But of course zoom reduces the depth of field and maintaining focus becomes even more problematic.

This difficulty with the focus is rather strange considering what one can get with a Drone. I can only assume that the addition of a zoom function is the culprit.

It's an expensive camera that can only be used with confidence under very special circumstances.

I'd be interested in finding out whether I'm missing some setting, or some technique that can get me reliable footage.
2018-2-19
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

How goes with the engineers fixing the focus issues.
Maybe someone at DJI should bring them some food and water and be sure they are still alive.
2018-3-9
Use props
Lwgray 0
lvl.2
Malaysia

I've tried everything and infinity focus is hopeless. I've upped the firmware and downed it and upped it again. upgraded using the memory card rather than wifi. And still just as bad.

The image is also very noisy even at the lowest ISO setting in bright light.

Is this a hardware issue? Have I got a rogue camera or is this purely a software issue?
2018-3-14
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

FarmerMac Posted at 2018-3-9 09:23
How goes with the engineers fixing the focus issues.
Maybe someone at DJI should bring them some food and water and be sure they are still alive.

Problem solved
Gues it was my own fault.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D515%26typeid%3D515
2018-3-16
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

They aren't working on the focus issue, this product is dead to them until they either roll out the OSMO+ 2 or just go with their mobile line.  No updates and doesn't focus, and now tap to focus sucks too.  
2018-4-1
Use props
tamas87
lvl.1
Turkey

I really don't understand DJI. There would be so much money in the development of the original Osmo line. It is such a good idea. The mobile line is not an option for me because I want to control the camera remotely. I hope there will be an Osmo+ 2 someday.
2018-4-1
Use props
tamas87
lvl.1
Turkey

I really don't understand DJI. There would be so much money in the development of the original Osmo line. It is such a good idea. The mobile line is not an option for me because I want to control the camera remotely. I hope there will be an Osmo+ 2 someday.
2018-4-1
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

fanse4e3b2f1 Posted at 2018-1-31 08:25
ANY UPDATES????? MY GOD! Im about to sell my osmo plus because of this issue.. please fix the infinity focus! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Just sell the OSMO+...

It spent more time on my shelf waiting for better firmware updates. Between the Android app problems and the focus problems / re calibrating problems. It made the OSMO+ very hard to use and took way to long to setup and you never know if your shot would be in focus when you got back to a computer. So I sold mine to someone that has more time than me. Now my Mavic Air has blurry video in the top left.... I dont think I am going to buy another DJI product ever....
2018-4-1
Use props
FarmerMac
lvl.4
  • >>>
Denmark

HellFire77 Posted at 2018-4-1 11:38
Just sell the OSMO+...

It spent more time on my shelf waiting for better firmware updates. Between the Android app problems and the focus problems / re calibrating problems. It made the OSMO+ very hard to use and took way to long to setup and you never know if your shot would be in focus when you got back to a computer. So I sold mine to someone that has more time than me. Now my Mavic Air has blurry video in the top left.... I dont think I am going to buy another DJI product ever....

Know what you mean..
For some weeks ago I thouth I fixed the problem but.......

Just made 2 hours of shooting with the OSMO+ the other day.
Back at my computer 50% of what I recorded was ether out of focus,
partly out of focus or just blurry.

I have been working with photographing and videorecording for many
years now, and yes I can do a mistake from time to time, but this is not
my fould. Its a hardware / software problem!
The OSMO+ is a realy expensive pice of crap, and DJI dont care. Frustrating!!!!

2018-4-4
Use props
dennish
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

And yet no replies, no firmware for months and multiple people having the same problems..  Crickets as usual.
2018-4-5
Use props
fanse4e3b2f1
lvl.1

United Arab Emirates

DJI Mindy any updates in DJI OSMO PLUS?????
2018-10-2
Use props
X4Productions
lvl.3
Flight distance : 606831 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

any news on this? need firmware update to fix this BIG issue! :\
2018-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now