First Flight After 3.12 Upgrade
12Next >
4463 43 2015-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I haven't flown my P2V+ since I upgraded it to 3.12. actually it has been a few weeks since I flew it. After reading the dropped from the sky posts I have to admit I was a little nervous about flying it. I was going to downgrade back to 3.08 but that firmware is no longer availible on my computer.

So I slipped the camera off and just flew around in ATTI mode only about 3 to 4 feet off the ground. I am happy to report it flew OK. The battery only had about 70% on it when I started. I have a couple of RC helis that I am learning to fly and the Phamtom in ATTI mode is no comparison. It is so easy to fly. I wish the helicopters were this easy. I aslo had forgotten about the speed and enhanced manuveriblity it has without the weight of a camera.
I will still do a couple more low altitude flights before I go back to my normal 250ft+ flights. That is if I have time in between crashing and fixing the helicopters.
2015-3-20
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Congrats on the maiden voyage!  I imagine the capability of a phantom without anything hanging beneath it (including landing legs) would be excellent.  I would love to have a spare Phantom I could strip of everything below and belly land the unit.  Or maybe just four posts just long enough to keep the bottom like an inch off the ground.
2015-3-20
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Now that would be cool. But in my case I have to much crap in the legs. Aux power cables, flytrex and of course the compass.
2015-3-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-21 06:38
Congrats on the maiden voyage!  I imagine the capability of a phantom without anything hanging benea ...

Well that would be cool but you could end up with and ooh ahh bird..9" props and 2" legs and if it did not land properly all you would hear is ooh ahh ooh ahh ooh ahh.

I love the idea of the belly landing though,,,Only problem with the BellyBird is where you going to hang the compass? I suppose it could just be seen a well hung bird and it would have to learn to deal with it
2015-3-20
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Really do hope 3.12 works for you guys, Really I do !
3.08 has served me well.
I will not be updating, and to be honest I'm a bit tired now of constantly going through test flights just  to check if the latest update works. I have built up confidence in my PV2+, tested fully, maintained and serviced thoroughly after nearly  a years flights it's perfect for me. As I have always said,  if it ain't broke don't fix it. For the first time , i now thoroughly enjoy the flights and don't worry about what can go wrong.
2015-3-20
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2015-3-21 08:18
Really do hope 3.12 works for you guys, Really I do !
3.08 has served me well.
I will not be updatin ...

Tony I really sorry I updated. I even switched back and forth between 3.12 and 3.08 a few times in order to try and fix a gimbal issue. Turns out I didn't need to do that and now I can't go back to 3.08 because the file is no longer on my machine.

I don't think I'll be so willing to update in the future,
2015-3-20
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

No, I think when the Phantom 3 comes out, I will have a modified Phantom 2 Vision without the vision just to 'stunt' the unit out.  Trim it for performance as opposed to friendliness to fly.  The compass can still hang on a stub leg.  Or in addition to that, reverse mount the camera to be on top and not underneath - entirely possible if you build a cage to mount it, then nothing has to be done for control or orientation. Now that would be a quad to mess with.

The Phantom has a lot of flying power and maneuverability.  More than people seem to want to use it.  Or at least that is what it seems to me sometimes when reading the posts.
2015-3-20
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-3-21 09:56
Tony I really sorry I updated. I even switched back and forth between 3.12 and 3.08 a few times in ...

I tend to agree with Tony, and I switched back to 3.08.  My bird was very nervous and twitchy while hovering after updating to 3.12.  I felt it was fighting itself and might fly off at any second.  It could have been a bad compass calibration or something else, but I went back to 3.08 because it works and works well, and has proven itself to me.

JATO,  perhaps you can download and re-install Assistant 3.6 to downgrade to 3.08.  I had not removed 3.6 and was able to downgrade in that fashion.
2015-3-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

It is unfortunate that anyone has had issues with 3.12, i have been nothing less than pleased with it and have flown the balls off this thing and tried virtually everything i could to lose it and it just keeps coming back..At this point, no going back for me..That said..I do have the original 3.6 Installed on another computer with the original 3.6 Installer file from a few months back...
2015-3-20
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Jamie Posted at 2015-3-21 10:28
I tend to agree with Tony, and I switched back to 3.08.  My bird was very nervous and twitchy whil ...

Jamie that's how I lost 3.08 I re-downloaded 3.6 after that 3.08 was gone. The one thing I will say i while I was flying at low altitude the Phantom preformed OK. It was very stable hoovering in both ATTI and GPS mode. I actually forgot to recall the compass and it didn't seem to matter. I will re-cal it before the next flight.
2015-3-20
Use props
jwebb3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 695023 ft
United States

I too upgraded to 3.12 and am getting the twitches while hovering. It will be hovering fine and will suddenly do a quick tilt over and then relevel. It also slowly changes altitude with no input from me. 3.08 worked great and I hate that I did the upgrade now. I find that I don't trust it to not go all wonky and do something crazy. I still have the 3.06 Assistant on my computer so is it possible to downgrade back to 3.08? Simple as reloading from that assistant? Thanks!
2015-3-21
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jwebb3@comporiu Posted at 2015-3-21 21:32
I too upgraded to 3.12 and am getting the twitches while hovering. It will be hovering fine and will ...

When you upgraded to 3.12. did you click on the blue link to the right on the upgrade page for every link and do them individually?
2015-3-21
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

I too upgraded to 3.12 and am getting the twitches while hovering. It will be hovering fine and will ...

Mine had the same actions.  It was really quite nerve wracking at the time.
And to answer your question Gerry, I did the update alone.  Everything else was up to date.
2015-3-21
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

You may still be able to downgrade to 3.08 via 3.6. It depends if the 3.06 file is still on your machine. I have yet to find where the Assistant softwate stores that file and how long it will remain there. I was able to switch back and forth until I reinstalled the 3.6 Assistant then it would only load 3.12 (the current version).
I hoping to be able to find the location then get people to copy the files so we can build a repository of earlier firmware versions we can go back to.

2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-21 21:37
When you upgraded to 3.12. did you click on the blue link to the right on the upgrade page for eve ...

Gerry,
There has to be some subtle difference as to how some did their upgrades vs. how others did it..I am pretty picky when it comes to deleting and reinstalling software but it seems to work for me.
Procedure for me was:
Turn on computer I use for my updates (a 7 year old laptop/PC that just barely runs Windows 7 and does nothing but iTunes and the Phantom Softwares and not a single other program or app or anti virus software is on it).
Completely Uninstall old 3.6 software from the computer using the windows uninstaller and delete shortcuts from the desktop.
Restart computer/Flush the Toilet (basically make sure everything I had deleted went where it was supposed to go and no left over cache or crap info was floating around and to make sure no system files were accidentally deleted and no errors on the restart).
Download new software .exe file
Install new software
Restart computer/Flush the Toilet (basically make sure everything I installed went where it was supposed to go and no left over cache or crap info info was floating around and that I had no errors on the restart).
Plug Phantom into computer
Turn on RC and TX
Turn on Phantom and let it warm up
NOTE: I always turn on the RC then TX and then the Phantom in the same order after I plug into the computer as if I were going to fly it.
Launch 3.8 Phantom Vision Assistant software
Update Software and verify updates were installed.
Check all settings on Phantom (IMU etc. and made sure none of my NAZA-M or anything defaulted back to Phantom, IOC was still on and so on),
Check RC Calibration
Close the program
Turn off Phantom then Tx Then RC
unplug Phantom from computer
Plug in RC, then turn on RC then TX then Phantom
Launch RC Vision Assistant
Check for updates, apply updates if any updates present,
Recheck RC calibration and settings
Close RC Assistant
Turn off Phantom then TX then RC
Unplug RC from computer
Turn off computer.
Go outside
Go through Preflight
Turn on RC then TX then Phantom and do the compass dance once SATS acquired.
fly the Phantom with a few basic maneuvers then fly it like I stole it...
Fortunately for me the update has been flawless.
NOTE: (I still have my original 3.6.exe files and software installed on another Desktop PC).

2015-3-21
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-21 23:39
Gerry,
There has to be some subtle difference as to how some did their upgrades vs. how others di ...

North, I'm pretty savvy with computers and software too.  I can't explain why the behavior after update.  I may try it again sometime, then again I might not.  I don't see any real improvements at this time to necessitate it.  And I'm VERY happy with my current flight characteristics.

Later... FedEx just dropped off a new airplane!  More fun begins!
2015-3-21
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

Jamie Posted at 2015-3-22 00:10
North, I'm pretty savvy with computers and software too.  I can't explain why the behavior after u ...

<<FedEx just dropped off a new airplane!  More fun begins.>>
I've been thinking about an airplane. I've been mulling over this one as a trainer. Biggest issue is where to fly it.

2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Jamie Posted at 2015-3-22 00:10
North, I'm pretty savvy with computers and software too.  I can't explain why the behavior after u ...

Jamie,
Thanks and i don't get it either why it has worked so well for some and others not so much..Having three kids who would randomly download anything and load it on the computer i put strict controls in place for any updates/upgrades as i spent too many nights/weekends trying to correct software problems and so on..On more than one occasion (many years ago) i uninstalled multiple crap games and programs one after the other and went to turn off the PC and i had numerous errors when shutting down not to mention trying to restart, i was freaking, i ended up having to frag the computer and redo everything..After the second or third time of a whole weekend being wasted i implemented some pretty strict rules for the family computer...So my little ritual of deleting or installing one by one and a reboot in between uninstalls and installs gives me at least a fighting chance if something goes awry.

I would be curious how many that have indicated problems with 3.12 actually tried 3.10 then went back to 3.08 then shot to 3.12?

Fortunately I was out of town on business the week i heard 3.10 was released (thank God!) and had little time to follow anything on the forum, Saturday a.m., got up and was excited to load it and thankfully (sorry to those that did it) saw the countless negatives on the forum and stopped right there...never even downloaded the .exe for it..

Have fun with whatever new Bird you just received.
2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

JATO Posted at 2015-3-22 00:25
I've been thinking about an airplane. I've been mulling over this one as a trainer. Biggest issue ...

That pretty much looks like the Pahantom 1 or Hubsan of RC planes (and that is not a dish by the way and i know crap about planes except everyone i have ever flown on has got me from A to B and back)
Crazy inexpensive with auto landing..Wow..How could one go wrong with that? The reviews were virtually all 5 stars..though a couple did have self inflicted flyaways
2015-3-21
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

<<I would be curious how many that have indicated problems with 3.12 actually tried 3.10 then went back to 3.08 then shot to 3.12? >>

While I haven't had any issues with 3.12 (fingers crosses) the above process discribes my path.
I really like that airplane but it's big. It has a 5ft wing span! I've been flying it in the Phoenix simulator. In the simulator you have to work pretty hard at crashing it.
2015-3-21
Use props
jwebb3
lvl.2
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-21 21:37
When you upgraded to 3.12. did you click on the blue link to the right on the upgrade page for eve ...

Pretty sure I did, but now you have me second guessing myself.
2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

I have heard several indicate they have had some jittering while hovering...
I hovered in our field a couple of weeks ago about 40' up and hit the record button to take a video of wife and neighbours on their horses in an outdoor riding arena..It did not move...the video is ridiculously stable...last weekend (not recommended for the faint of heart) i had to run in the house, Phantom was up a 100', set my RC down, ran in the house for a minute or two, came out and there it was, right where i left it a 100' in the air...btw, i do live in the country so not to worried if it took off, i'd find the little shit!
2015-3-21
Use props
jwebb3
lvl.2
United States

JATO Posted at 2015-3-21 22:57
You may still be able to downgrade to 3.08 via 3.6. It depends if the 3.06 file is still on your m ...

I still have Assistants 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6 on my computer. I've never deleted the previous ones when a new  update comes out. Could that cause problems itself? I never upgraded to 3.10 either. This is the first upgrade that has given me any issues.
2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

jwebb3@comporiu Posted at 2015-3-22 01:16
I still have Assistants 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6 on my computer. I've never deleted the previous ones whe ...

If it were me and you have only the one computer and the original .exe's for those older programs,
I would keep the .exe's i.e. as I have in my downloads or just drag them to another folder i.e. Old Phantom updates or something...uninstall all the old versions from the uninstaller, one at a time etc. and go from there..AND REBOOT THE PC AFTER THE UNINSTALLS! before you install the 3.8...worked flawlessly for me....see detailed write up above!
2015-3-21
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

jwebb3@comporiu Posted at 2015-3-22 01:16
I still have Assistants 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6 on my computer. I've never deleted the previous ones whe ...

You could get some issues if you have several versions installed at the same time, its safer to uninstall the versions you don't use, and just kept them as install files for evt. later install.
By the way, I haven't had any issues with 3.12 other than better GPS reception I jump from 3.08 to 3.12.
2015-3-21
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-3-21 07:16
Now that would be cool. But in my case I have to much crap in the legs. Aux power cables, flytrex an ...

Jato, Did you get the Vision Plus landing gear on your Phantom 2 yet?  I would like to find a vendor to order both sides of the Vision + landing gear from and save some on shipping. Shipping is over $6. for one side, with the compass and the bare leg was not available there.
2015-3-21
Use props
jwebb3
lvl.2
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-22 01:28
If it were me and you have only the one computer and the original .exe's for those older programs, ...

So it would be best to delete them all and start fresh? Might not be a bad idea. I'll keep the previous versions .exe files as suggested, just in case. Thanks guys. I'll post back results ASAP.
2015-3-21
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

And just in case you find all previous assistant and android APK versions here  http://droneslinger.com/software.html
2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

jwebb3@comporiu Posted at 2015-3-22 03:28
So it would be best to delete them all and start fresh? Might not be a bad idea. I'll keep the pre ...

Jwebb
The above has worked for me and I think I am nearly 30 flights on 3.12, without issue and stable as a granite table....

Also check your screens if you upgrade to these when done:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... %2Bpost&lang=en
2015-3-21
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-22 02:50
Jato, Did you get the Vision Plus landing gear on your Phantom 2 yet?  I would like to find a vend ...

No I am content with the existing one. It may not look pretty but the cover protects the compass and it's not going anywhere. I guess I could always paint the cover black.
2015-3-21
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

OK, just make sure there is no metal flakes etc. in the paint.
2015-3-21
Use props
jwebb3
lvl.2
United States

OK, just went through all the steps to delete the existing Assistants I had. I went back and downloaded Assistant 3.08 and then upgraded to Firmware 3.12 on my Vision Plus. Did all the calibrations, took it outside, fired everything up and calibrated the compass. I had 8 satellites so all was good. I went ahead and started the motors and after a couple of seconds I lifted off and let it settle into a hover about 15 ft. up. Well what do you know it's not jittering around so I went ahead and buzzed around a bit and brought it back in to hover. It just sat right there good as could be. I have to admit that was probably the most nerve racking flight I've had since owning this thing. Anyway. so far so good. I'll do a few more test flights and hopefully 3.12 will end up being as good as 3.08 was for me. Thanks for all the advice guys. Big help for sure.  
2015-3-21
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jwebb3@comporiu Posted at 2015-3-22 05:37
OK, just went through all the steps to delete the existing Assistants I had. I went back and downloa ...

You got the same last name as me.  
2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

jwebb3@comporiu Posted at 2015-3-22 05:37
OK, just went through all the steps to delete the existing Assistants I had. I went back and downloa ...

jwebb,
thanks for the update, all is good...
and not to be too picky...you downloaded Assistant 3.8 which gave you the 3.12 Firmware, it was the older 3.06 software that you had that had the 3.08 Firmware..
Sorry but DJI did the naming conventions, not me and it is feaking confusing which i am certain has added to some folks woes....
Happy flying and keep us posted....

P.S...any chance you are related to Gerry Webb now that he has given it up on here! You might get free advice for life if your are related...Wait..WTF...all this is free...Doh!
2015-3-21
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-22 06:19
jwebb,
thanks for the update, all is good...
and not to be too picky...you downloaded Assistant 3.8 ...

I am the only son of the only son of the only son.  There is just me and my younger sister left.
2015-3-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-22 06:31
I am the only son of the only son of the only son.  There is just me and my younger si ...

Yeah but how do you know or not know your grand dads or great grand dads were or were not related...
2015-3-21
Use props
jwebb3
lvl.2
United States

I know man I have a hard time keeping up with what updates what. I'll get in a few more test flights before claiming total success, but so far so good.

I don't think I'm related to Gerry but pretty cool to come across another Webb just out of the blue. I'm in SC by the way.
2015-3-21
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jwebb3@comporiu Posted at 2015-3-22 06:39
I know man I have a hard time keeping up with what updates what.  I'll get in a few more test flig ...

I'm not sure where I am,  to much snow to see anything.
2015-3-21
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-3-22 00:25
I've been thinking about an airplane. I've been mulling over this one as a trainer. Biggest issue ...

Shoot me an email if you want.  I can make a couple of recommendations.  FYI most of my planes come from HH.  Good stuff.

ljhellmich at yahoo dot com
2015-3-21
Use props
jwebb3
lvl.2
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-22 06:42
I'm not sure where I am,  to much snow to see anything.

Well you're not in SC for sure then, 75 and sunny here today. Come on spring!
2015-3-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules