3141 25 2017-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChristienPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2434 ft
United States

Hi drone enthusiasts,

I just opened my Phantom 4 Pro today and took her for a test run. I quickly recorded a couple simple videos and noticed that during the recording, the feed was glitchy, but that's not all, after the video would glitch in and out, I noticed during playback that the actual video glitched as well. What's up with that? The camera itself shouldn't be affected by this, right?
2017-7-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It most probably is not being affected. Are you looking at the video on your device screen or playing back the file from the SD card in the aircraft. The difference is that on the phone/tablet, it is subject to momentary loss of signal from the transmission process, whereas the video on the card is not, and the card video is also high resolution.
2017-7-15
Use props
ChristienPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-15 19:16
It most probably is not being affected. Are you looking at the video on your device screen or playing back the file from the SD card in the aircraft. The difference is that on the phone/tablet, it is subject to momentary loss of signal from the transmission process, whereas the video on the card is not, and the card video is also high resolution.

Okay, so when I was recording it, the image glitched a few times at certain points, and during playback those same moments glitched, so I figured it was the video. Like I said, I just opened it today, but already did an update and it seems to be going away, although not completely. I have the Phantom 4 Pro + so it's the tablet that comes on the controller.
2017-7-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Christien,

Yes, your final suspicion is correct.  The actual video (on the micro SD card) will not be glitchy and if it is, you need to get that fixed.  What you are having problems with are the Live Feed video and the record of those videos.  That can be fixed also before your next flight.

You are flying a network of at least three computers.  Your iOS or Android device, running the DJI GO 4 app is one computer.  It is linked to the Remote Controller by a Lightning Cable (iOS) or USB cable (Android).  The RC is a second computer.  The Remote Control is linked to the Phantom by 2.4 or 5.8 GHz transmissions (your choice).  Your bird has the third computer on board.

Now, each of these entities of the network need to communicate with each other.  The link you have the most control over are the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz transmissions between the RC and the Aircraft.  In the HD option (upper right of the flight desktop in the DJI GO 4 app), you can choose which frequency you want to use.  2.4 GHz is very common in urban and suburban areas, so there is a lot of interference at that frequency in those areas.  If you choose to use "Auto" the app will try to figure out which frequency is best for your needs.  That is the default.

If you are in a wilderness area, use 2.4 GHz.  If you are in an urban or suburban area, use 5.8 GHz.  Each option allows you to choose which specific band to use.  The frequencies have rating bars that allow you to choose between them.  Blue is the one being used at that time by the DJI GO 4 app.

There is also Bitrate that will make a big difference.  The lower the Bitrate, the stronger the communication and more clear the Live View image.  Drop the bitrate to the lowest amount you find usable.  Then increase it until it affects the image in Live View.

However, the biggest problem you will experience with Live Feed Video is from your own device (iOS or Android).  If you do not have a fairly recent device (two years or less), you are going to have problems.  Your device needs 2 GB of RAM and a multi-core processor.  Everyone has their favorite, but the bottom line is in the performance of your system.

No matter what device you use, you will have problems if you do not reduce interference from phone calls, unneeded downloads, obtuse apps and other processor distractions.  Most often, you can improve performance simply by putting your device into Airplane Mode after the initial start-up.  If this is the case, go into the settings and start removing, disabling and otherwise managing apps that have nothing to do with flying your P4 Pro.  There is much more, but that is what we are here for!

Hope this helps!  For more information, the .pdf manual is available on the downloads page for the P4 Pro.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ChristienPhoto Posted at 2017-7-15 20:47
Okay, so when I was recording it, the image glitched a few times at certain points, and during playback those same moments glitched, so I figured it was the video. Like I said, I just opened it today, but already did an update and it seems to be going away, although not completely. I have the Phantom 4 Pro + so it's the tablet that comes on the controller.

Aloha Christien,

OK, that makes things a little different.  I did not know you had the P4 Pro+ (plus).  Between what Geebax said and my post, you should be having a good time soon.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-15
Use props
ChristienPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-15 20:45
Aloha Christien,

Yes, your final suspicion is correct.  The actual video (on the micro SD card) will not be glitchy and if it is, you need to get that fixed.  What you are having problems with are the Live Feed video and the record of those videos.  That can be fixed also before your next flight.

Thanks so much for a thorough explanation. What bitrate would you suggest? I'm thinking I'll be shooting more in 1080p, so obviously that should help as well.

And by the way, gotta say, this site seems pretty great so far. Looking forward to honing my drone skills!

2017-7-15
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-15 20:45
Aloha Christien,

I am a bit confused about the ability to select 2.4 or 5.8. When I was flying yesterday, I noticed that it was on 5.8 even though I was out in a clear area, no houses or anything and I barely had 1 or 2 bars. Today I decided to just take it outside the house (turned everything on but not flying) and change it over to 2.4 but when I looked at the settings, it was now on 2.4 and there was no option for 5.8.
So just how does this work?
I also have glitchy video direct from the sd card but was shooting at 60fps so next time I will try 30fps and see if it is any better. The focus is not good either. Just wondering if I have one with a lemon for a camera. My Mavic camera is way better than this.
2017-7-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-15 21:34
I am a bit confused about the ability to select 2.4 or 5.8. When I was flying yesterday, I noticed that it was on 5.8 even though I was out in a clear area, no houses or anything and I barely had 1 or 2 bars. Today I decided to just take it outside the house (turned everything on but not flying) and change it over to 2.4 but when I looked at the settings, it was now on 2.4 and there was no option for 5.8.
I also have glitchy video direct from the sd card but was shooting at 60fps so next time I will try 30fps and see if it is any better. The focus is not good either. Just wondering if I have one with a lemon for a camera. My Mavic camera is way better than this.

'I also have glitchy video direct from the sd card but was shooting at 60fps so next time I will try 30fps and see if it is any better. '

It is not necessarily a case of 'me too', because the OP has not said what he was viewing the video from. If, as you say, you have glitching when playing back from the SD card in the aircraft, then perhaps you should post a short clip of it on Dropboax so we can look at it.

What are you using to look at the video clip on the SD card in the aircraft? And what resolution are you shooting? Perhaps the device is not up to the job of playing it back, quite a lot of computers are not.
2017-7-15
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-15 21:49
'I also have glitchy video direct from the sd card but was shooting at 60fps so next time I will try 30fps and see if it is any better. '

It is not necessarily a case of 'me too', because the OP has not said what he was viewing the video from. If, as you say, you have glitching when playing back from the SD card in the aircraft, then perhaps you should post a short clip of it on Dropboax so we can look at it.

I was shooting in 3840x2160 60fps and use VLC to view it on the PC after downloading it from the SD card. I have used this viewer for Mavic with same resolution and 30fps with no problems.
If there is a better viewer for 60fps then please let me know.
2017-7-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-15 22:04
I was shooting in 3840x2160 60fps and use VLC to view it on the PC after downloading it from the SD card. I have used this viewer for Mavic with same resolution and 30fps with no problems.

60 fps is a lot different from 30 fps, and the file bitrate of the Mavic is slower than the P4P. But in any event, even using VLC player, your computer may not be powerful enough to run 4K at 60 fps because it is also running at a bitrate of 100 mb/s.
2017-7-15
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-15 22:04

If you have a Windows computer, try this player:  https://mpc-hc.org/  It is significantly better on a slow PC than VLC.

Regards Leif.
2017-7-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ChristienPhoto Posted at 2017-7-15 21:15
Thanks so much for a thorough explanation. What bitrate would you suggest? I'm thinking I'll be shooting more in 1080p, so obviously that should help as well.

And by the way, gotta say, this site seems pretty great so far. Looking forward to honing my drone skills!

Aloha Christien,

The Bitrate selection in the HD manual options is exclusive to the Live View feed.  Interestingly enough that resolution can also be 1080p in the P4 Pro and P4 Pro+ (plus).  In my older Phantoms, I put the bitrate at the lowest setting; with my P4 Pro, I set it one step above the lowest setting.  Remember, this only is for the Live Feed that is glitchy for you.  It should get rid of the glitchiness.  The P4 Pro Phantoms are the first Phantoms to have a 1080p Live Feed video.  Previous Phantoms usually have 720p Live Feed video.

When you say that the Live Feed video and the Playback video have glitches, they are the same video.  The Playback is the recording of the original Live Feed video.  But on the Micro SD card in the DCIM folder is the true resolution and speed video that you set on the screen in the Camera Settings.  That video should have no glitches.  If the card video has glitches, you need to work with DJI to get it fixed.  BTW, the Micro SD card also has the Playback video on it.  I think it is in the TM folder.

Good to see you are off to a solid start.  There are many settings in the DJI GO 4 program that will make your flying easier, safer and more productive.  Remember that slow rotations are smooth rotations.  Whipping the Phantom around can give some viewers nausea, so try to avoid that.  (That type of filming is only good for gamers.)  If you get caught up in video recording issues, Geebax has a lot of experience in that area.  There are also old threads that can help you generally with improving your videography.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-15 21:34

Aloha Jenee,

Geebax is giving you good advice for some of your problems, so do your best following his suggestions.  My comments will just address the manual selection of transmission and receiving frequency (2.4 vs, 5.8) between the RC and the Phantom.

The Live Feed video settings are in the HD icon of the General Settings (3 horizontal bars in the upper right corner of the flight desktop).  The HD icon is also in the upper right border of the Flight Desktop.  In the HD page will be a selection option for Auto or manual.  If you select manual, there will be an option for selecting 2.4 or 5.8 GHz.  

I previously explained the benefits of using 5.8 when there is too much 2.4 interference in urban and suburban environments.  In each case, the bands available for each frequency will be part of a real-time bar graph that can help you decide which band you want to use.  Every location will have different bar graphs depending on the radio wave environment.  

In an earlier post, I explained how to adjust the Bitrate slider to help remove the glitchiness of the Live Feed video.  This is exclusive to the Live Feed video.  It does not affect the video recorded to the Micro SD card.  The lower the Bitrate, the less glitchy the Live Feed video.  Start on the left most setting and move it right until you start to get glitchiness again.  You have to test each setting with a flight.

The P4 Pro (and plus) have a manual focus and an Auto Focus.  These are accessible on the flight desk and can also be set in the camera settings.  (There is even a Focus Assistant that allows you to touch anywhere on the screen and the program will focus the camera there.)  It took me forever to figure out how to make it all work.  Now that the auto focus does work, I am scared to touch it. LOL!

Between what Geebax is saying, the other posts, and these suggestions, you should be doing fine in short order!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-16
Use props
ChristienPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-15 21:49

Yes, I have the phantom 4 pro plus, so I'm viewing from the built-in tablet on the controller.
2017-7-16
Use props
ChristienPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-16 00:52
Aloha Christien,

The Bitrate selection in the HD manual options is exclusive to the Live View feed.  Interestingly enough that resolution can also be 1080p in the P4 Pro and P4 Pro+ (plus).  In my older Phantoms, I put the bitrate at the lowest setting; with my P4 Pro, I set it one step above the lowest setting.  Remember, this only is for the Live Feed that is glitchy for you.  It should get rid of the glitchiness.  The P4 Pro Phantoms are the first Phantoms to have a 1080p Live Feed video.  Previous Phantoms usually have 720p Live Feed video.

Okay, so I downloaded the footage and played it back using MPC and it appears the glitches are gone! I was getting worried since I figured the original glitch was just the feed, but upon playback, since it was in those same spots, that it was an actual set of glitches to the video.

Thank you all for your help. Are there any last pointers or tips that you would give to a newbie, great sites, videos, etc?
2017-7-16
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Landbo Posted at 2017-7-15 22:30
If you have a Windows computer, try this player:  https://mpc-hc.org/  It is significantly better on a slow PC than VLC.

Regards Leif.

Thanks for that. Certainly no glitches with that player but it seems to play in slow motion. I may have to look at the preferences to find out why it plays like that.
I don't have a slow PC it is an Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0Ghz cpu and 16 gb memory.
2017-7-16
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-15 22:13
60 fps is a lot different from 30 fps, and the file bitrate of the Mavic is slower than the P4P. But in any event, even using VLC player, your computer may not be powerful enough to run 4K at 60 fps because it is also running at a bitrate of 100 mb/s.

No, I have a reasonably fast PC as explained in another post.
2017-7-16
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-16 21:03
Thanks for that. Certainly no glitches with that player but it seems to play in slow motion. I may have to look at the preferences to find out why it plays like that.
I don't have a slow PC it is an Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0Ghz cpu and 16 gb memory.

Try <CTL> + R.

Regards Leif.
2017-7-16
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Landbo Posted at 2017-7-16 21:18
Try  + R.

Regards Leif.

What does that do?
2017-7-16
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-16 21:03

Forgotten completely. Maybe the reader you use for your SD card is too slow for 60fps UHD ???   No chain is stronger than the weakest joint.  

Having no trouble playing the same format video on my 6 year old laptop powered by an i5 processor.

Regards Leif.
2017-7-16
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

Sets playback to normal speed. Use the help menu.

Regards Leif.
2017-7-16
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Landbo Posted at 2017-7-16 22:07
Sets playback to normal speed. Use the help menu.

Regards Leif.

Thanks but that did not help. I set the Video decoder to none and that seemed to fix it. It was set on DXVA2 (native), no idea what that is.
2017-7-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-16 22:20
Thanks but that did not help. I set the Video decoder to none and that seemed to fix it. It was set on DXVA2 (native), no idea what that is.

Most video players regard 60 fps as high speed capture for producing slo-mo. I am not sure why you want to shoot in 60 fps, it only makes the post-production job harder.
2017-7-16
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-16 22:18
Most video players regard 60 fps as high speed capture for producing slo-mo. I am not sure why you want to shoot in 60 fps, it only makes the post-production job harder.

Thanks, you are probably right.. I am going to change it to 30fps and try that tomorrow.
2017-7-16
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ChristienPhoto Posted at 2017-7-16 08:43
Okay, so I downloaded the footage and played it back using MPC and it appears the glitches are gone! I was getting worried since I figured the original glitch was just the feed, but upon playback, since it was in those same spots, that it was an actual set of glitches to the video.

Thank you all for your help. Are there any last pointers or tips that you would give to a newbie, great sites, videos, etc?

Aloha Christien,

Here is an old Thread with some real good basic videography as it applies to drones.  Give it a read.  Besides the manual, this thread helps you put some of the settings in perspective.

Aloha and Drone On!
Improve Video.jpg
Improve Video2.jpg
2017-7-17
Use props
ChristienPhoto
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-17 02:56
Aloha Christien,

Here is an old Thread with some real good basic videography as it applies to drones.  Give it a read.  Besides the manual, this thread helps you put some of the settings in perspective.

Thanks for this. Some things I knew, some things I didn't. Overall, much to consider.
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules