Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NFZ unlocked but still RTH activated!
1054 3 2017-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1a319326
lvl.1
Germany

Hello,

wanted to fly my Mavic today and had to unlock a NFZ to do so. So far, no problem. I started the Mavic and at some point the app lost connection ("Aircraft disconnected") but the controller was still connected (displaying "NEAR NFZ" all the time). A couple seconds later the aircraft initiated a RTH all by itself and I totally lost control which was really scare, considering I launched it in a somewhat tight spot. Fortunately the precision landing feature worked flawlessly but this whole experience still had me shaking.

So, now my question is... what happend? I read somewhere that when flying with the controller only (without the app), the drone uses the builtin NFZ database. Could that have been the reason I was able to launch but the drone did a RTH once the phone disconnected? This is really scary and I don't really trust my drone right now...

I have a feeling DJI is a bit overaggresively regulating things that are actually in the responsibility of the pilot and this kind of logic could be more dangerous than actually flying in a (yellow) NFZ might be.

Hoping for some clarification,
Rolf
2017-7-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

When the drone is disconnected with the RC, if the drone has GPS signal, the compass works normally and the home point had recorded successfully, failsafe RTH function will be automatically activated.
If you fly in a Yellow Warning Area, your drone will be limited by height, Red area mean NO FLY ZONE and drone can not take off there. So this is why you could take off, and the GPS signal was available, your drone's RTH could be activated.
DJI’s No Fly Zone (NFZ) feature can help you avoid inadvertent operation in locations that could raise safety or security concerns. The NFZ that DJI offers is for reference. It is always the user’s responsibility to determine what laws or regulations apply to any operation, and to obtain any required government authorizations.
2017-7-17
Use props
fans1a319326
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-17 02:41
When the drone is disconnected with the RC, if the drone has GPS signal, the compass works normally and the home point had recorded successfully, failsafe RTH function will be automatically activated.
If you fly in a Yellow Warning Area, your drone will be limited by height, Red area mean NO FLY ZONE and drone can not take off there. So this is why you could take off, and the GPS signal was available, your drone's RTH could be activated.
DJI’s No Fly Zone (NFZ) feature can help you avoid inadvertent operation in locations that could raise safety or security concerns. The NFZ that DJI offers is for reference. It is always the user’s responsibility to determine what laws or regulations apply to any operation, and to obtain any required government authorizations.

Ok, I understand but I think it was not disconnected from the RC. Only the app showed disconnected. Could it be that the drone "forgot" that the zone was unlocked because it lost connection to the app?
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The app showed "aircraft disconnected" which meant that the drone was disconnected with RC, but the RC still remained the connection with the app. It would automatically activate RTH after 3 sceonds'  disconnection between the drone and the RC if GPS signal is allowed and the Home point is recorded.
But if you like, you can contact our support to start a ticket, provide the needed data, we will help to make data analysis for your case.
Here’s the link to contact us: http://www.dji.com/support
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules