Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How can DJI Mavic fly near airport like this clip?
2672 34 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Hi guys,
Came up this clip today, heard that from a guy in Israel. He has been arrested by the police I heard.
But my question is: How can a Mavic fly in the airport and so close to the airplane? Isn't DJI drone disable in the NFZ?

Mod's answer is welcome.
2017-7-17
Use props
Dirk52
First Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

There are several ways to disable the NFZ. From a paid solution until to a do it yourself solution.
2017-7-17
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-17 06:08
There are several ways to disable the NFZ. From a paid solution to a do it yourself..

I understand that part, but to fly too close to an airplane... I meant what about safety?
2017-7-17
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Hes right outside a NFZ so hes actually not doing anything wrong unless there is a law on flying in proximity to other aircraft. I would say hes not being very smart and taking unnecessary risks but hes not braking any NFZ laws
2017-7-17
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Vietnam

Fractures Posted at 2017-7-17 06:14
Hes right outside a NFZ so hes actually not doing anything wrong unless there is a law on flying in proximity to other aircraft. I would say hes not being very smart and taking unnecessary risks but hes not braking any NFZ laws

Hi, if that is the case then I think they should definitely increase the NFZ diameter for this airport. The airplanes look so close to the drone...
2017-7-17
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-17 06:17
Hi, if that is the case then I think they should definitely increase the NFZ diameter for this airport. The airplanes look so close to the drone...

I agree, its pretty dangerous to be that close in my opinion. Doesn't leave much room for error. I think NFZ in US are a bit larger around airports.
2017-7-17
Use props
Mimus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284770 ft
United States

Its people like that who ruin it for everyone else. Flying close to airplanes like this is dangerous and will force the governments to regulates drones and make the laws even more strict.  
2017-7-17
Use props
Blackforce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33140 ft
United Kingdom

Some people are idiots. Puts so many people at risk. Good news is the Guy got arrested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40633913
2017-7-17
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is a prime example of why dooshbags should not have drones or even be allowed to buy a drone. Idiots like this will eventually ruin it for the lot of us.
2017-7-17
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Oh no, we've been discussing the same incident for 2 days now in this thread:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-104679-1-1.html
2017-7-17
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

What if....Compass error and goes into atti and flies off without user control into engine of inbound plane and kills 150 people......yeah what an idiot doing this so close to commercial airlines.
2017-7-17
Use props
michaelts
lvl.3
United States

The drone was in no-fly zone. This is the most blatant violation ever possible of NFZ rules. Only 86 meters from the landing plane!

2017-7-17
Use props
michaelts
lvl.3
United States

I think the video puts dramatic pressure on DJI to modify its software so that disabling flying in NFZ is hard to do. Now DJI is "officially" on notice that anyone can buy Mavic and two months later have fun with it flying 86 meters next to a landing plane. If a crash happens, under the American tort law all it takes is to prove that a crash was "reasonably foreseeable," and it was "feasible" for a company like DJI to prevent flying Mavic drones in NFZ zone.  
2017-7-17
Use props
Willik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

This really is what the aviatic industry calls a "Near miss" and I am quite sure the actions are allready in progress ... (hopefully).
2017-7-17
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2180843 ft
United States

This guy has been arrested and they confiscated his drone, computer, and cell phone.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...sh.aspx/392908

2017-7-18
Use props
EranR
First Officer
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

This idiot was actually flying outside the DJI nfz but inside the limited area (his max altitude was probably less than 120m). He was, however, flying inside the Israel CAA nfz, which is forbidden by law.
2017-7-18
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

EranR Posted at 2017-7-18 04:59
This idiot was actually flying outside the DJI nfz but inside the limited area (his max altitude was probably less than 120m). He was, however, flying inside the Israel CAA nfz, which is forbidden by law.

You are correct.  He was flying where the drone allowed him to fly, but ignoring most if not all drone laws.

I've checked the CCA maps of LLSA, and the polygonal restricted space is more oval than circular, extending along 3-21 runway beyond the 2-mile radius commonly associated with Class D airspace (by default).

Unfortunately, DJI's NFZ implementation has given some idiots the (unfounded) impression that the information is correct and inclusive of all drone laws.

I suspect DJI's circular zones are a result of memory limitations (if they actually store the whole world). However, I've found they typically over-extend the actual polygonal zones, which frustrates many flyers  near the zones who've actually performed proper flight planning.
2017-7-18
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

EranR Posted at 2017-7-18 04:59

his max altitude was probably less than 120m

Maybe correct.  He was about the same altitude as the heavy jet.  If  he was outside the 2 mile radius and the jet was about 1.4 miles from the runway threshold, so about 300-400 ft altitude is about correct.  However, I found this in the Israel drone laws:

Maximum flight altitude: Drones are only allowed to fly 50 meters above the ground.

Is this correct?  
2017-7-18
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

DGI Geo only has data or the US, Europe and other bits of countries and its also a guideline not the ultimate authority.  In most parts of the world NFZs are not hard coded into the drone so the user has to ensure he stays out of them.

In summary for that clip (the guy has been arrested), he's INSIDE a no fly zone, is ABOVE the maximum height permitted, is well under the minimum separation distance from aircraft required by law and various other things.
FWIW assuming a 3 degree glide slope for a commercial jet then its roughly 300ft altitude per nautical mile from touchdown.
2017-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Its a 4K zoomed. Chill out guys. A mavic won't bring a plane down, tests have been made to prove that. A flock of birds is much worse.
2017-7-18
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Cayman Islands

Swedrone Posted at 2017-7-18 10:01
Its a 4K zoomed. Chill out guys. A mavic won't bring a plane down, tests have been made to prove that. A flock of birds is much worse.

May not "bring a plane down" but is more than capable of getting sucked into a turbine causing damage (which would mean an emergency declared and landing) along with grounding the plane for a length of time while its inspected or repaired.  Or best case scenario it'll trigger vibration and other transient alarms which will also require that aircraft grounded while its inspected (so delays, cancelled flights and money).

Mavic isn't some weightless, massless object.  1kg or so hitting a blade at 160kts while that blade is doing 10,000RPM is going to get noticed and IS going to require inspection.

Just like a small single bird can do when sucked in.

...and if we're talking GA or rotary wing aircraft it can have a much more dramatic effect if it damages their only working prop.

"Tests" have been done proving stuff sucked into jet engines damages engines.

2017-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

gnirtS Posted at 2017-7-18 10:10
May not "bring a plane down" but is more than capable of getting sucked into a turbine causing damage (which would mean an emergency declared and landing) along with grounding the plane for a length of time while its inspected or repaired.  Or best case scenario it'll trigger vibration and other transient alarms which will also require that aircraft grounded while its inspected (so delays, cancelled flights and money).

Mavic isn't some weightless, massless object.  1kg or so hitting a blade at 160kts while that blade is doing 10,000RPM is going to get noticed and IS going to require inspection.

That's why they have more than one turbine..
2017-7-18
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Cayman Islands

Swedrone Posted at 2017-7-18 10:22

Clearly you have no clue.

It gets into an engine, it triggers vibration alarms or damages a blade.  That plane is then out of service for inspection and/or repair, flights are delayed, lots of money is spent.  You know, just like they have to do if a smaller, squishier and lighter bird gets sucked in as well.
Or is potentially causing tens of thousands of dollars of lost revenue and a few hundred people inconvenienced completely OK with you?
2017-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

gnirtS Posted at 2017-7-18 10:32

It gets into an engine, it triggers vibration alarms or damages a blade.  That plane is then out of service for inspection and/or repair, flights are delayed, lots of money is spent.  You know, just like they have to do if a smaller, squishier and lighter bird gets sucked in as well.

that´s why they have more the one engine...
I think they cause us dronies inconvinience, and the environment.
2017-7-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Swedrone Posted at 2017-7-18 10:22

If my mavric got sucked into an airplane engine I would expect reimbursement from the airlines, I have just as much right to fly as other aircraft. From zero to 400 feet is mine, everyone else fly at your own risk...
2017-7-18
Use props
fansd32fd2c5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4144 ft
Belgium

Filmed by an idiot  who ruins  our hobby !!!!
2017-7-18
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Cayman Islands

Swedrone Posted at 2017-7-18 11:10
that´s why they have more the one engine...
I think they cause us dronies inconvinience, and the environment.

Yet again you fail to comprehend the issues.
You maybe shocked to find this out but jet engines aren't delivered free from the manufacturer.  They actually cost money.  They also cost money to inspect and repair.  It also costs money to delay or cancel flights while said inspection or repair is carried out.

If you think a commercial aircraft operates on the basis of "well this engine is broken but its fine because we've got a spare thats working perfectly" then you're deluded.  An engine fault or potential indicated engine fault is an emergency procedure that requires action both in the air and then later on the ground.

Why focus on the engines anyway - what about pitot and static tubes that can get damaged or blocked?  What about moveable surfaces that can get blocked or jammed, especially slats and flaps?

There are many things that are vulnerable to breaking when it hits something at 150+ knots.

And that discounts single engine GA aircraft where damage to their propellor can be a lot more of a serious incident as they DONT carry a spare.  
2017-7-18
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

gnirtS Posted at 2017-7-18 10:32

If drones are really as dangerous as you claim them to be, then why haven't any terrorists used them yet to cause mayhem?
2017-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-7-18 11:25
If my mavric got sucked into an airplane engine I would expect reimbursement from the airlines, I have just as much right to fly as other aircraft. From zero to 400 feet is mine, everyone else fly at your own risk...

Agree! If you are ironic, that's cool too
2017-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-18 12:25
If drones are really as dangerous as you claim them to be, then why haven't any terrorists used them yet to cause mayhem?

Because the require skillz to manouver
2017-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

gnirtS Posted at 2017-7-18 11:41
Yet again you fail to comprehend the issues.
You maybe shocked to find this out but jet engines aren't delivered free from the manufacturer.  They actually cost money.  They also cost money to inspect and repair.  It also costs money to delay or cancel flights while said inspection or repair is carried out.

That's why they have insurance, just like I do. Mine covers 750.000 SDR Not sure that covers an engine.
2017-7-18
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

From a pilot:

" I am a licensed airplane pilot. Drones do not concern me at all. Someone wants to get some photos from a safe distance, why would that bother me? If he gets too close, my wake turbulence would wipe him out. A direct impact would never be an accident, it would be terrorism, and no law can prevent terrorists. Even then, an airliner could eat Mavics all day, and never skip a beat. Ill tell you what I worry about in the air. Flocks of geese. They are unpredictable. They each are a dozen times the mass of a Mavic, and there typically are many dozen that could be taken out in a fraction of a second. Please stop grossly exaggerating the risks from drones."
2017-7-18
Use props
EranR
First Officer
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-18 06:58
his max altitude was probably less than 120m

Maybe correct.  He was about the same altitude as the heavy jet.  If  he was outside the 2 mile radius and the jet was about 1.4 miles from the runway threshold, so about 300-400 ft altitude is about correct.  However, I found this in the Israel drone laws:

In Israel, flying a drone as a hobby (not commercial) is allowed up to 50m high.
2017-7-28
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

EranR Posted at 2017-7-28 06:14
In Israel, flying a drone as a hobby (not commercial) is allowed up to 50m high.

Correct !  
2017-7-31
Use props
SafariMan
First Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Because there are so many stupid and idiot people around. They think they are "great", like...look what I can do....vlog it...get some virtual likes... Do you have a car? Do you always drive to the max authorised speed? 120 kmh here but any car you buy can go up to 180 at least...;-)have you ever asked your car company why it is like that?
2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules