Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Falls out of Sky (VIDEO)
16684 138 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trica de
First Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-7-31 23:12
Well, I've received a replacement Mavic.  I don't understand why you couldn't return my original Mavic box that I shipped it in.  And for everyone here, there was no included details of what was wrong with the defective Mavic.  What do you say DJI Thor?

[view_image]

yeah that would be nice to know
2017-8-1
Use props
ChuckquanUAS
lvl.1

United States

After watching several YouTube reviews, I was sold on the performance this drone is capable of doing for commerical use. Further research led me to your video, which dismissed my eagerness to really want this product.

On a personal level, it's good to hear you got your drone back. On an community/industry level, it'd be best for DJI to provide some data analysis to prevent future encounters of this frightening experience. We need to know the cause of this "user error" if we're to avoid it. As Cryhavoc38 and DroneFlying touched on, DJI cant analyze every crash that's submitted to them. That's understandable. This incident (using 49 CFR 830.2 definition) affects the safety of operations, and the probability of a drone strike from this possible defect doesn't seem like it's being made a high concern.

I am a new user and do not own any DJI products personally, but safety is number one.
I created this account mainly to comment and stay informed with further information. Best of luck.
2017-8-1
Use props
Everlast556
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40390 ft
United States

This is absolutely unacceptable. DJI must explain what specifically happened and thoroughly explain why it was first said to be user error. Anything short of that is terrible, terrible customer service by a company.

They refused to disclose any info on why his requests were denied, why his disputes were cancelled, why it was not covered by the warranty and why the incident occurred.... just user fault (with no information on how or why this was determined).

If answers to these are not provided, I would bring this story forth to prominent bloggers, YouTubers, drone journalists, etc.. to raise awareness and pressure DJU into provided better customer care for all. These failing drones literally fall from the sky and could servery hurt someone.
2017-8-1
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
First Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Demanding an explanation is laughable. Could be as simple as a chip had an intermittent unknown fault causing multiple systems to shut down and the drone to fail. It is a slap in the face for it to be called user error.
2017-8-1
Use props
fans01fee048
lvl.1
United Kingdom

this has got me really worried as i do a lot of flying over the sea !!!  
2017-8-2
Use props
Lay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185449 ft
Finland

Things like this happen. There will allways be some bad products that slip past quality control. I'm more worried about DJI first calling it user error when it is all filmed like this. What happens when it suddenly just drops to the sea?
2017-8-2
Use props
Ttony1976
lvl.1
Flight distance : 791562 ft
United Kingdom

Glad to hear they replaced the mavic, However I would love to know what caused this in the first place ? Will it happen again ? DJI ????
2017-8-2
Use props
JohnGrant
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174921 ft
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-19 07:26
I would have to guess, from Budwalker's data, that the problem is probably due to thermal failure in a main processor input interface. Loss of input from multiple systems - RC receiver, battery, imu, esc, gps  The Mavic goes into a fail-safe motor shutdown.  

Quite clearly NOT user error. Good luck sorting this.
2017-8-2
Use props
trica de
First Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

and still no news ;( bad
2017-8-3
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Great that you got a new mavic!!
i am also so nervous when i fly my mavic these days.

Would really be great if dji will say what the story was with yr drone so i know what to watch out for.
good luck with yr new mavic - happy flying/filming
2017-8-3
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

Hey Roy - would be interesting to see yr flight record for that failed flight - please post it if you can.
2017-8-3
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

I think I'd be more interested in the date of manufacture. Hope mine wasn't assembled around that same date where there could have been a bad batch of a component.
2017-8-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-8-3 09:45
I think I'd be more interested in the date of manufacture. Hope mine wasn't assembled around that same date where there could have been a bad batch of a component.

I think I'd be more interested in the date of manufacture.

December 7, 2016, but even if yours happens to have been manufactured around that time I don't think there's any need to worry.
2017-8-3
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 286017 ft
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-8-3 07:43
Hey Roy - would be interesting to see yr flight record for that failed flight - please post it if you can.

Hey Bekaru Tree.  Unfortunately, I don't have the flight data from the one in the video.  I removed it to hide my home address.  However, I do have the flight data and previous discussion of the first initial disconnect and crash here:

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... .21561/#post-250785

The file is FLY028
2017-8-3
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 286017 ft
United States

trica de Posted at 2017-8-3 02:17
and still no news ;( bad

I'm still waiting as well.  I'm also a bit annoyed that they didn't return my original Mavic box, but I'll let that one go.  Bigger things in life, Roy.
2017-8-3
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-8-3 15:04
Hey Bekaru Tree.  Unfortunately, I don't have the flight data from the one in the video.  I removed it to hide my home address.  However, I do have the flight data and previous discussion of the first initial disconnect and crash here:

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-disconnects-and-motors-shut-off-video.21561/#post-250785

thanks....
2017-8-4
Use props
fans044f194b
New

Brazil

The same thing happened to me and I lost the drone in the sea ! What to do ???
2019-1-16
Use props
HH1
Captain
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Hmm . . . I wonder if the height had anything to do with the problem of motors stopping.  I say that because perhaps something is happening that no one, as far as I know has thought about, and that is, did the craft accidently get in the stream of two "microwave" relay points?  If this happened in or near a city, that is a true possibility, and should be taken into consideration.  I would think it easy to wander into that circumstance without even considering it.
2019-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules