Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can't play back 4K MP4 video on Windows 7?
11284 18 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Twirlip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

Got my Mavic several days ago.  Can fly it just fine, can record lower-resolution MP4 video just fine and play it back on my Windows 7 computer with Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.23517.

However, when I change the setting on the Mavic to 4K video, my computer won't play it.  When I copy the MP4 file across and try to open the video, I get an error saying that WMP couldn't open the file.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Does the Mavic use a different codec or something when it's recording at 4K?  What do I have to do to be able to look at this video?  Is there some other codec I need to install?  If so, what?

2017-7-17
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

How's your graphics card can it handle UHD?
2017-7-17
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-17 18:14
Google "Windows 4K codec pack"

Yep, I did some googling, and there's a bewildering array of various third parties with various codecs, and no clear indication of which ones are "better" than others, or how safe it is to install, or anything else.  Was hoping that there might be one preferred one somewhere, or at least a story from a user here saying "I installed <codec> on Win7 and it works great", or the like.
2017-7-17
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-7-17 18:14
How's your graphics card can it handle UHD?

nVidia GeForce 1060, a reasonably recent model.

After posting the above, I discovered that I can play back the video in Adobe LightRoom... but it's more set up for browsing than viewing (e.g. no full-screen view option, lots of UI cruft around the edges so lots of wasted screen real estate).

Therefore, I conclude that this isn't a hardware limitation, it's some sort of codec issue.
2017-7-17
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
United States

...okay, having done a bit more rummaging around and reading various other forum posts, I decided to try installing VLC from https://www.videolan.org/ and use that to play the video instead of Windows Media Player.

Result:  ding ding ding.  Played it like a champ.  Opened the video, played it back nicely at rock-solid frame rate, just as smooth as butter.  UI is really nice, too.

My conclusion is that I have a new favorite video player and WMP need not darken my doorstep again.  :-)

(Sorry for all the spam; I'm new to drones, new to video recording, new to working with 4K video.)
2017-7-17
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

You can also try installing Jarvis,it can playback many video format.
2017-7-18
Use props
PHL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

I do tend to use VLC for most things anyway and ignore WMP.
2017-7-18
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

And this player works extremely well for 4k on an "older" PC:  https://mpc-hc.org/

Regards Leif.
2017-7-18
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

VLC all the way!

Be careful downloading "codecs" for windows media player. They are a known to exploit vulnerabilities and when I used to look for them (pre VLC) you normally ended up on some pretty dodgy looking "free sites".

Abandon media player imo, and try a more modern view like VLC.
2017-7-19
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

I had stopped using Windows Media Player years ago and switched over to QuickTime Player from Apple on my Windows 7 machine.
QuickTime Player offers many useful options to play video files.
2017-7-19
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

A solution for you to play DJI Mavic Pro 4K on PC:

http://www.brorsoft.com/4k-workflow/play-dji-mavic-videos-on-pc.html
2017-8-29
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

The reason why you fail to play DJI Mavic Pro 4K video with Windows Media Player can be caused by your computer, it is very likely that your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play 4K video. You should have a computer with powerful CPU, video card, enough memory and storage and also a good motherboard.

2017-9-20
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I used Brorsoft Video Player to play all of my videos including MP4, MKV, AVI .etc as well as DVD/BDs.  You can have a try.  Good luck!
2018-1-15
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
United States

monica66 Posted at 2018-1-15 19:13
I used Brorsoft Video Player to play all of my videos including MP4, MKV, AVI .etc as well as DVD/BDs.  You can have a try.  Good luck!

Thanks-- I've since installed VLC, and it works great.  No more problems.  
2018-1-23
Use props
fans9d1635d2
New

United States

Where is the dji assistant 2.  Anybody?
2018-1-23
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

Canada

The H.264 format shot with Mavic Pro is not an native playback support for Windows Media Player. If you insist on playing Mavic Pro Platinum H.264 MP4/MOV with Windows Media Player, you’ll need to download a supplement codec to allow your player to recognize and play a format outside the video types that it typically plays.  You can download and install some supplement codec software for Windows Media Player such as Media Player Codec Pack.
2018-1-31
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

use 5k player for 4k https://www.5kplayer.com/, sometimes vlc give a stuttered playback and the 5k plays 4k very well

2018-1-31
Use props
jerry1edison
New

China

I just use UFUSoft Blu-ray Video Player to works as a 4k video player to play dji 4k videos on pc.
http://www.ufusoft.com/how-to-play-4k-videos-on-windows-10-8-7-pc-or-laptop/
2019-6-19
Use props
James 0522
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191493 ft
United States

Windows media player does not have a 265 codec. Use the older 264 and your 4K video will play fine.
2019-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules