Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying with Inspire
2986 25 2015-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scooterlam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

I know this has been discussed a lot but what is the final vertict, carry on or buy a beefier pelican case and check it?

Some people have had success carrying on while others are told to check it. I'm worried about my trip to Hawaii next week that I'm going to be told to check it and the case will get crushed in the underbelly.

Thanks guys!
2015-3-21
Use props
joekeantang
Second Officer

United States

I will be traveling to puerto Rico tomorrow I will let you guys know how was my experience. I am taking 7 TB47 don't have lipo bags.  Lets see how it goes. I am going to drain my batteries below 19 %  are you putting your batteries on a special bag Scott? I know that i won't leave any batteries inside my inspire, since the inspire 1 case was made only to carry 6.  i was able to put the last battery in between both remote controllers and  accommodate  my 5 chargers in the case.
2015-3-21
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Either way you need to bring the batteries as carry on, max of 2 x TB48 and as many TB47s as you like.

From reading other posts some airlines appear to be banishing the Inspire to cargo even if it technically fits as carryon.   

You may not know until you hit the gate so there is a very strong argument for avoiding the hassle completely,  putting it in a pelican and checking it, keeping the batteries with you as carry on with the terminals taped or put in lipo bags.   

Otherwise you run the risk of getting to the gate with only the soft case and given the ultimatum to check it as is or not get on the flight.   

I've seen this happen to guys with $25k of fragile photographic gear needing to get to an important job and having no choice but to check it and pray.

Can only imagine the stress it caused!
I'm guessing that you would have a few pelicans lying around.  I've amassed a huge collection over the years and I have one big enough to take the entire Inspire soft case and still have room for other stuff.   I think I would just go down this road if I were flying, even if there were a chance the airline would allow it, not worth the stress of a big argument, which I would ultimately lose if it came down to it.
2015-3-21
Use props
joekeantang
Second Officer

United States

As for me I don't have the time to buy a pelican since my flight will be tomorrow but  I hope everything goes well for me and they are ok with letting me take my inspire one with me. I wish you where my neighbor so that you could let me borrow a pelican case !
2015-3-21
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-22 06:12
Either way you need to bring the batteries as carry on, max of 2 x TB48 and as many TB47s as you lik ...

Yeah I'm aware of the battery carry on requirement but I'm worried about the forced checking. I have the pelican case for my red and my Ronin Pelican. Didn't really want to travel with that size of case but I might have to.
2015-3-21
Use props
joekeantang
Second Officer

United States

oh thats a great idea, have you seen if the inspire will fit in the Ronin Pelican? I am debating  if to take my Ronin to get some awesome shots of the kids( only thing is that it would be so much to take with me)  so if I do I wouldn't be able to use the Ronin case... If you where to use your Ronin case how would you place your inspire 1 inside?
2015-3-21
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-22 09:03
Yeah I'm aware of the battery carry on requirement but I'm worried about the forced checking. I ha ...

Yeah, battery comment was more for Joe though it sounds like he's on top of it as well.

If it were me I'd definitely do the pelican even though it will be a bit of a hassle.   I guess there's no way to call ahead and get a definitive answer on carry on?

I've flown with my Steadicam before.  Monster case and right at the weight limit for check in.  Never again!  
2015-3-21
Use props
joekeantang
Second Officer

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-22 10:42
Yeah, battery comment was more for Joe though it sounds like he's on top of it as well.

If it we ...

Yeah I have been reading about forums that have to do with flying with the inspire case as a carry on. I also read about that guy that had his inspire 1 in the cabin with his battery attached to his drone and it cough on fire! thats very scary and embarrassing! I have all my batteries to 100% i am going to have to fly the bird until i get the batteries to below 20% I am a bit nervous, I would hate to check in the inspire case!! I know that the the air plane is a 777 so i think i will be ok ! will let you all know!
2015-3-21
Use props
joekeantang
Second Officer

United States

If it we ...

Yeah I have been reading about forums that have to do with flying with the inspire case as a carry on. I also read about that guy that had his inspire 1 in the cabin with his battery attached to his drone and it cough on fire! thats very scary and embarrassing! I have all my batteries to 100% i am going to have to fly the bird until i get the batteries to below 20% I am a bit nervous, I would hate to check in the inspire case!! I know that the the air plane is a 777 so i think i will be ok ! will let you all know!
2015-3-21
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

If it we ...

Taking a look at the case tonight, I've flown with my Tumi Garmet Bag which is WAY wider and taller and I've never been told to check it. I don't even think it fits in the "does it fit" tester by the gate haha. I'll take my chances and just hope for the best.
2015-3-22
Use props
markjacobs.talk
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-22 09:03
Yeah I'm aware of the battery carry on requirement but I'm worried about the forced checking. I ha ...

For me, it has to be Peli every time. The problem is you can do all your calling ahead and get confirmation that everything should be fine to carry on but....... At the end of the day the gate will have final say and if they say it goes below then that's where it goes.

At least when I carry my F5 and check it in a Peli it won't arrive at the other end as a mangled mess of electronics and smashed glass!

Peli is the ONLY case I trust to do that and I've tried quite a few competitors but I always come back to Peli.

2015-3-22
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-22 16:33
Taking a look at the case tonight, I've flown with my Tumi Garmet Bag which is WAY wider and talle ...

Scooter,

Dont tak ethe risk mate.  Get a Peli if your flying on commercial jet, take on the batteries in the cabin and perhaps also have them in a fire Lipo bags, like teh Black Sheep bags.  I put a link to them on another post.

Would be mad to be told at Check-In to check in the Inspire into the hold and it was in the DJI case.  Use a Peli then relax and enjoy the flight.

Hope you enjoy your trip
2015-3-22
Use props
arunmehta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

i am flying with Inspire and batteries in a carry on semi-soft Garment Bag that i got for $67 online  that fits into the overhead bin i am flying Caribbean airlines ..i am taking the bottom  foam  from the DJI Case and putting it all in the carry on Garment bag (leaving the top foam)
The Garment bags are NOT as wide as the DJI 7" vs. 12" BUT it is very well protected in the overhead bin with just the bottom foam from the DJI OEM case
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0007YX2 ... 0_126088100_TE_item

i have a huge Storm Case that i am leaving at home

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... RE_2780WF_Hard.html
i have researched this issue thoroughly and i find the garment bag solution the best for my needs

2015-3-22
Use props
joekeantang
Second Officer

United States

Ok Scott so I am on the airplane and I was out of luck! Had to check in my inspire one!  Get a pelican case now  that you can, if I where you I would order it now or find a way to get soon before your flight to Hawaii! I am praying that it makes it safe and I can get all in one piece.
2015-3-22
Use props
nolan222
lvl.1

United States

Just got back from Hawaii ( LAX to LIH) on AA. I debated carrying on the inspire and at the end decided to buy the tradecraft case. AA is was enforcing the size restrcition by forcing people to put their bags on the size mock upon boarding on the LIH to LAX route. I didn't want to risk gate checking the inspire because I read all the post and I think the overall agreeement is the case will not hold up if you check it. I also know how baggage handlers are! Ive seen some pretty messed up bags in all my travels. I did get stopped by TSA on the return and got asked about the LIPOS.
I say get the tradecraft case!
2015-3-22
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

Shit just saw this thread. Anyone in San Diego recommend a last minute solution? Can I rent a pelican somewhere that the Inspire will fit?
2015-3-23
Use props
jonlip
lvl.1
United States

Just remove everything but the inspire from the original case, carry on all the accessories. The case will hold up fine. Priority tags or a gate check will get it loaded last on the plane boosting your chances of it not being crushed to death.
2015-3-23
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-24 12:49
Shit just saw this thread. Anyone in San Diego recommend a last minute solution? Can I rent a pelica ...

Scooter,

Did you manage to get a Peli in time ?
2015-3-24
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-25 01:05
Scooter,

Did you manage to get a Peli in time ?

Nope - going to take my chances. I'm sure I'll be fine even if I have to check it.
2015-3-24
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-25 08:18
Nope - going to take my chances. I'm sure I'll be fine even if I have to check it.

Make sure you take all the batteries with you and perhaps put them into the Lipo fire safe bags as added precaution.
2015-3-25
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

United Made me check it - Took it out as soon as I got to the hotel. Made such a scene everyone was asking me questions. Skimmed the top of a palm tree and down she went. Broken Inspire 1 in less than 1 hour on Hawaii. =( Not a happy camper.

Anyone know what I can expect for repairs costs?
2015-3-25
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-26 09:40
United Made me check it - Took it out as soon as I got to the hotel. Made such a scene everyone was  ...

Scooter,

Sorry to hear that mate.

Was there any physical damage to the case or aircraft.  Did you have any travel insurance  that you could perhaps claim on if damaged during the commercial flight?

2015-3-26
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Only one way to go. PELICAN it! and protect your investment. 300$ to save $4000. Traveled last week to Argentina making stops in Brazil and Paraguay - no way I would not use a Peli.

Scooterlam - sorry for your accident man! That sucks! Was the palm-tree-skim a pilot error (perhaps due to jetlag? ) or did the i1 funk out on you?
2015-3-26
Use props
scooterlam
Second Officer
United States

FlyingSquirrel Posted at 2015-3-27 04:11
Only one way to go. PELICAN it! and protect your investment. 300$ to save $4000. Traveled last week  ...

Thanks. Combo of things but ultimately my fault. 3 people huddled around me had it zip back over land not paying close enough attention to the altitude as soon as I turned around I tried to pull up but it was too late. Flipped hard to the ground and pieces went flying. Sad to watch.

What really upset me was the guy who asked me to tell him more about it right after the crash. I was like buddy, time and a place. Lol
2015-3-26
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

Ive been there!
Man, too bad. Really hope its not too much.  When people approach me when I fly I start my conversation with " Hi, I can't talk until the bird has landed. You are welcome to watch". Having said that I no longer pay attention to looki-looks. Its tough when you are on your own flying though...
Hope you were able to get a nice shot.
2015-3-26
Use props
will
lvl.3

Canada

DUDE!  That really stinks!  Very sorry to hear.  I hope your repairs are minimal and fast!
2015-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules