Spark wifi range (NO RC)
1363 4 2017-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
soerheim
lvl.2
Norway

So i bought the spark without the RC because i wanted something portable. After many flights i can´t seem to get anything near the 100m range that DJI claims.

I´ve tried with both my Iphone SE and an old Xperian Z2 but the spark keeps disconnecting at 25-30m and the livefeed is choppy as hell.

Do anyone else get the same results and what bandwidth are you using? I see that the 5ghz is set as default, with the option to choose the 2ghz. I know that the 5ghz is weaker that the 2ghz, but will I even get close to the 100m that DJI is claiming if I change the bandwidth?

2017-7-18
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Try it with a newer phone!
2017-7-18
Use props
soerheim
lvl.2
Norway

Why? Is the wifi signal stronger on newer phones?
2017-7-19
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
United States

soerheim Posted at 2017-7-19 06:32
Why? Is the wifi signal stronger on newer phones?

sometimes mobile phones have wifi antennas on different sides. means you grab the phone with your hands on top and bottom. if sony think "hey thats perfect spot to put the antenna" because usually nobody hold the phone like this or something you COULD block the signal with hands.
test another device you or friends have laying around. if range increases to 100m limit you know its your phone. my iphone can also barely reach the 100 meters. if i change the angle and grip on my phone, sometimes i can get better video range from my spark.  and sometimes the area just sukks and whatever device you use it will be terrible signal quality due to background wifi noise from million of routers around you.
test another phone first and tell us result.
2017-7-19
Use props
paulhummerman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 114915 ft
United States

I'm using a Nexus5X and regularly get 300 feet - IF I initially manually reset to 2Ghz.
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules