DJI Service - Radio Silent...
1520 11 2017-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ryanboysen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12546 ft
United States

First time poster here because I need some advice.

I had issues with my Spark from Day 1. The aircraft would instantly start yawing/pitching when takeoff command was initiated prior to hover. In one case I was able to save it, in the next case it hit a pole and fell into water. If I felt this was a user error, I would have gone through DJI Refresh, but there was definitely something wrong with the aircraft, so I sent it back to DJI.

The events after the accident are as follows:

June 26th: Service request created
June 28th: Aircraft Shipped
July 3rd: Aircraft received at DJI service in CA
July 6th, 11:59a: Email notification that evaluation is complete
July 6th, 3:43p: DJI support contacts me for cloud sync of flight data
July 6th, 5:14p: Cloud Sync Complete, email sent to DJI support confirming completion
July 6th, 8:13p: Second email sent to DJI support with added information on software version and flight information
           no response... status on tracker is at evaluation
July 12th, 8:33p: Follow-up email to support to request status update
           no response... status on tracker remains at evaluation
July 19th, 9:23a: Angry email follow-up again requesting status update and repair progress.

2 full weeks of inaction is unacceptable, IMHO. I am sick of waiting for a $500 drone that was DOA. I am beginning to think I may never see this thing again.

What should I do next?  Is there an escalation process anywhere? Is there a way to just get a refund?

Your comments and/or help is appreciated.

Ryan
Case Number: CAS-742601-H1M1K3
2017-7-19
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Have you tried PM DJI Mod on the forum, and request them to escalate the case.
2017-7-19
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Ryan,

Just a few questions, if you don't mind. You mention problems from day one. Your profile shows that you only have the SPARK uas (as far as DJI drones are concerned). It also shows that you've flown that spark over 1800 feet. I'm not saying that's very far, just saying the reported event probably wasn't the very first flight.   My question is, what method of control were you using;  gesture, mobile device or remote control?  2 weeks at the repair center isn't that long (not from what others are reporting for DJI). I agree that it's too long for a 'normal' experience. You go on to say that the drone was "DOA"  - which means 'dead on arrival'. however it flew over 1800 feet. I'm not trying to disagree with you on any point, just  saying that some of this may explain why it's taking DJI a little longer to determine exactly what happened.

I'm not trying to defend DJI. I've never had to deal with their CS department. Others have reported a very difficult time dealing with them (sadly). Just trying to manage your expectations. At least one other person who had an issue with the spark was (he reported) not 'allowed' to speak to a supervisor or 'escalate' his issue.  Best of luck to you.  I hope your issue gets resolved to your satisfaction.  My spark will be here tomorrow.  I know there are many out there that are working just fine, but reading this forum has me nervous to fly it. The spark won't be my first uas and I've NEVER had any problem at all with either of my other drones. They've been really great.  I did have on bad crash, but it was totally my fault. The drone did exactly what it was told it to do.

Again, good luck.
2017-7-19
Use props
Ryanboysen
lvl.1
United States

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2017-7-19 06:24
Hey Ryan,

Just a few questions, if you don't mind. You mention problems from day one. Your profile shows that you only have the SPARK uas (as far as DJI drones are concerned). It also shows that you've flown that spark over 1800 feet. I'm not saying that's very far, just saying the reported event probably wasn't the very first flight.   My question is, what method of control were you using;  gesture, mobile device or remote control?  2 weeks at the repair center isn't that long (not from what others are reporting for DJI). I agree that it's too long for a 'normal' experience. You go on to say that the drone was "DOA"  - which means 'dead on arrival'. however it flew over 1800 feet. I'm not trying to disagree with you on any point, just  saying that some of this may explain why it's taking DJI a little longer to determine exactly what happened.

Thanks for the response.

Though my DJI stats are weak, I have had hundreds of hours behind the stick. I have built/flown numerous size quads, mainly for racing/sport flying purposes. I wanted the spark because I wanted a way to film and take pictures without a small investment with a reputable company.

The first flight was an issue achieving hover both indoors, and second flight outdoors. It appeared as if since the GPS was not connected, the gyro/accels weren't working well enough to hover.

Subsequent flights were OK as I ensured I had GPS connection at all times. There were a also few instances where GPS would be lost (clear sky) and RTH would begin but then quickly regain and I can control the aircraft again.

The last flight was a no GPS launch, and when the aircraft took off it instantly yawed left/pitched back before reaching a 3ft hover (very similar flight to the 1st/2nd flights). I was unable to recover the aircraft in this case.

The aircraft should be able to take off and hover. Period. Unless there is an issue with the controller/sensors, which is what I was hoping DJI would sort out.

2017-7-19
Use props
Ryanboysen
lvl.1
United States

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-19 06:09
Have you tried PM DJI Mod on the forum, and request them to escalate the case.

Thanks, I'll try to find one and PM them to help.
2017-7-19
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ryanboysen Posted at 2017-7-19 06:58
Thanks for the response.

Though my DJI stats are weak, I have had hundreds of hours behind the stick. I have built/flown numerous size quads, mainly for racing/sport flying purposes. I wanted the spark because I wanted a way to film and take pictures without a small investment with a reputable company.

Gotcha.  I understand.  Again, I was just curious of your method of control;  gesture, mobile device or remote.  I wasn't trying to imply that you weren't experienced or didn't know what you were doing. Not at all. There seem to be possibly several different issues with the spark.

1) Falling out of the sky (cutting power and dropping like a rock - possible battery issue?)
2) gestures not working (at least not all the time)
3) flyaways (possibly due to gestures not working)
4) remote controller not connecting (or staying connected) to the AC  

And the issue you're having,  Which may be different and just doesn't have a 'name yet.'  This is troublesome to say the least.
Again, I hope you're able to get it resolved to your satisfaction.
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ryanboysen Posted at 2017-7-19 06:58
Thanks for the response.

Service can be pretty slow, if dji are busy some have had to wait for mor than a month for Mavic repair, they say care refresh is quicker , but from what I see it's not much better.

Just as a you said in your last post, you lost gps and AC went into RTH , this is not possible, you also said you took off without gps, was this a factor in your AC flying off and hitting the pole?
2017-7-19
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

Ryanboysen Posted at 2017-7-19 07:02
Thanks, I'll try to find one and PM them to help.

Good luck with your return. Hope you get it resolved quickly and are flying again soon.

Ignore most of the comments you will get concerning your flight. It's amazing how little some people actually know about flying quadcopters. Flying without GPS lock is fun but obviously takes a little more skill. Lack of GPS lock does not mean your drone should be nonresponsive to control. Its actually quite the opposite. Sounds like something is wrong with your SPARK.

Let us know how it works out for you.
2017-7-19
Use props
Ryanboysen
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-19 08:26
Service can be pretty slow, if dji are busy some have had to wait for mor than a month for Mavic repair, they say care refresh is quicker , but from what I see it's not much better.

Just as a you said in your last post, you lost gps and AC went into RTH , this is not possible, you also said you took off without gps, was this a factor in your AC flying off and hitting the pole?

I contacted the "amazing" dji service department and they said the data analysis group has yet to review the information I sent on July 6th.

To answer your question about the RTH,I reviewed the data and I was mistaken. The connectivity to the drone was lost, not GPS - everything went dark it began to RTH, regained connectivity and I was able to control again.

Flying with/without GPS shouldn't affect the takeoff command and ability to hover. I was able to take a screen shot of my crashing flight very shortly after takeoff. As you can see, there is no command input from the controller, but there is horizontal speed along with vertical speed at 1ft.
FlightData.png
2017-7-19
Use props
Ryanboysen
lvl.1
United States

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-19 09:42
Good luck with your return. Hope you get it resolved quickly and are flying again soon.

Ignore most of the comments you will get concerning your flight. It's amazing how little some people actually know about flying quadcopters. Flying without GPS lock is fun but obviously takes a little more skill. Lack of GPS lock does not mean your drone should be nonresponsive to control. Its actually quite the opposite. Sounds like something is wrong with your SPARK.

Thank BriRi, I'll update as soon as I get more info.
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ryanboysen Posted at 2017-7-19 11:01
I contacted the "amazing" dji service department and they said the data analysis group has yet to review the information I sent on July 6th.

To answer your question about the RTH,I reviewed the data and I was mistaken. The connectivity to the drone was lost, not GPS - everything went dark it began to RTH, regained connectivity and I was able to control again.

Yes I thought you made a mistake about that. Also taking off without gps locked , with any bit of wind and not controlling your AC , your AC will not hover it will in fact move on the wind until you control it with RC. VPS or barometer will not stop your AC from moving, so it is not correct to say AC will just hover without gps.
2017-7-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Ryan, we apologize for the crash accident and slow analysis process. I have forwarded your case to appropriate team to double check the flight records about the crash reason and expedite the whole process.
There will be someone contact you after review, your patience will be appreciated.
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules