Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
One of Spark motors "obstructed," unflyable now :(
6088 11 2017-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZSAY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7785 ft
Ireland

Hi,
I was palm launching Spark with propeller guards, I followed all steps correctly until front lights flashed red and I let go. It flew for about a second or two and then all motors stopped and fell to ground (concrete) from height of my extended arm (less than 1.5 meters). There was no visible damage, however, when I attempted to launch again three of the props rotate but rear right prop was stationary and get "Motor Obstructed" error.
I can feel resistance when I hand rotate.  I've read on this forum worse crashes but were recoverable, I can't believe mine is trashed from such a "simple" drop.  Obviously it needs some sort of repair, but I'm overseas and would be very difficult to ship back to US.  I called DJI support to see if they sell parts/motor but unfortunately the only response I got was I had to ship unit to them.
Is there anything I can do myself? I have a set of Torx screwdrivers but don't want to do anything until I get some advice from this forum.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
2017-7-19
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ship it to them.  I wouldn't take it apart, they may do nothing for you if you do so.
2017-7-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You really should return, seems you were just unlucky with the impact and damaged one of your motors.
Dji will check your logs and if as you say it malfunctioned, then I should think they will replace or repair your spark with warranty.
Good luck..
2017-7-19
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.1
Saudi Arabia

Thanks guys, but really, the whole point of my post was to see if I can do something myself and to only to ship as a last resort.  I don't care about voiding warranty, and will take a chance.
2017-7-19
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

ZSAY Posted at 2017-7-19 08:39
Thanks guys, but really, the whole point of my post was to see if I can do something myself and to only to ship as a last resort.  I don't care about voiding warranty, and will take a chance.

No one is selling spare parts like motors for spark yet and I haven't stumble across any guide for replacing them so you should send it for repair if you want to use it.
2017-7-19
Use props
pingywon13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 63724 ft
United States

ZSAY Posted at 2017-7-19 08:39

remove the prop on the motor that wont turn... There is plastic piece (two actually) that lock the prop on. I had to replace a prop once and found that the small little plastic arm had actually broken off the prop and stopped me from being able to reseat a new one. Glad I caught it when I did otherwise  it could have led to a bigger problem.

take that prop off and look down in where it seats and see if there isnt a little plastic part in there jamming up your motor.

no warranty voiding technique here.... lol
2017-7-19
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.1
Saudi Arabia

pingywon13 Posted at 2017-7-19 10:16
remove the prop on the motor that wont turn... There is plastic piece (two actually) that lock the prop on. I had to replace a prop once and found that the small little plastic arm had actually broken off the prop and stopped me from being able to reseat a new one. Glad I caught it when I did otherwise  it could have led to a bigger problem.

take that prop off and look down in where it seats and see if there isnt a little plastic part in there jamming up your motor.

Thanks pingywon, but wish it was so simple, the two plastic pieces that lock the prop to motor you are referring to are in place.  Honest, there is not a single scratch or deformity on the Spark! (at least externally)
2017-7-19
Use props
pingywon13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 63724 ft
United States

ZSAY Posted at 2017-7-19 11:19
Thanks pingywon, but wish it was so simple, the two plastic pieces that lock the prop to motor you are referring to are in place.  Honest, there is not a single scratch or deformity on the Spark! (at least externally)

Sorry - that was just my exp - Wish I could have been more help.
2017-7-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ZSAY,  this situation has filled us with regret, we are sorry for the mishap and the trouble you’ve been caused. Spark is a new product, I'm afraid it's hard to find accessories like motors from dealers.
We suggest to send in the drone for data analysis and repair when you get back, we will not charge if it's malfunction.
Please do not try to keep powering on the drone in case that the crash flight log is covered by new log. You'd better export the log in advance.
2017-7-19
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.1
Saudi Arabia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-19 18:41
ZSAY,  this situation has filled us with regret, we are sorry for the mishap and the trouble you’ve been caused. Spark is a new product, I'm afraid it's hard to find accessories like motors from dealers.
We suggest to send in the drone for data analysis and repair when you get back, we will not charge if it's malfunction.
Please do not try to keep powering on the drone in case that the crash flight log is covered by new log. You'd better export the log in advance.

Hi Mindy,
How do I download the flight log?
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

ZSAY Posted at 2017-7-20 08:29
Hi Mindy,
How do I download the flight log?

To export the data, please download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website, install it then connect your Spark to PC, run Assistant 2, click on "Black box" and ''Data Upload'' on the left side, you could save it to local, here is the picture for your reference:
black box.png
data upload.png
data upload 2.png
2017-7-22
Use props
ZSAY
lvl.1
Saudi Arabia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-22 21:30
To export the data, please download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website, install it then connect your Spark to PC, run Assistant 2, click on "Black box" and ''Data Upload'' on the left side, you could save it to local, here is the picture for your reference:

Hi Mindy,
I followed your steps however the Assistant 2 does not load the data and just continues to try and download.  Please see pictures. (Same for both "Black Box" and "Data Upload."

Pic2

Pic2

Pic1

Pic1
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules