[R] Issue with the Gesture Control
1970 23 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Unknown User
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63615 ft
Hong Kong

I understand that the gesture control is far from mature, but today i was playing with it and it did some strange things. I'm hoping if I include the blackbox information then it's just more data to help the engineers correct the issue(s).

So I started with a palm launch in a windy area on top of a mountain. Waited for the green light of course and then started my Jedi tricks to move it around and eventually tried to wave it away. I've almost always had issues with it recognizing my wave away. I've tried fast slow, typical waves, fingers sticking, fully straight horizontal side to side movement, it just doesn't recognize it consistantly. eventually it flew off and I tried to do a gesture controlled selfie with my friends. Didn't work, just wouldn't work, did my 'Y' to call it back, move it to another angle and again frantically tried to wave it away (it just gets so frustrating). It's hover away finally, the front lights are green, so we tried to take a few selfies. It works this time. I try to 'Y' to bring it back, and it doesn't want to return. So I walk away from it to see if it's tracking me. It's not tracking me. Okay, so maybe it's one of my friends. I have each person do a 'Y' to see if it returns to them. It doesn't. we each walk away from the original spot, and the front lights are still green, but it doesn't move, it just hovers there. I'm forced to dig out the remote from the bag, connect my phone, and use the RC to land it (why can't I have the option to connect my phone without resetting the wifi with my RC?).

Again, it seems like a minor issue, and maybe it is. I'm just hoping the data helps track down any bugs so that the gesture controls will eventually be something just amazing that I can show off to my friends. People are waiting on my reviews and there's a lot of unknowns that's holding me back from  recommending the Spark to more friends.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ag2ob ... zl45eWcHmgL1Aa?dl=0

2017-7-20
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've had the same problem, send it away and cannot get it back.  I've also found gesture control works poorly if its sunny and i'm wearing a white tee shirt.
2017-7-20
Use props
Unknown User
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-7-20 09:05
I've had the same problem, send it away and cannot get it back.  I've also found gesture control works poorly if its sunny and i'm wearing a white tee shirt.

We did have the 'sun' facing us, but it was roughly 5:30 pm and one person was wearing white, I was wearing a grey tank top, and the other person was wearing black. I had a black ball cap on as well.  seems like a pretty standard usage case, but I guess including the clothing information would be important. Good reminder.
2017-7-20
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

I too have had the same issues. Then after a few minutes, it lands on its own.

Also, if there is even the slightest breeze, when I palm launch, it comes straight at me, as if there is no collision avoidance. I literally have to duck.

Something I noticed, maybe if anyone else has: the camera doesnt always do the face scan (slow up and down movement), it just takes off. And when it does do the scan, it is sometimes twitchy (not smooth, sudden move ents.). Anyone else like this?
2017-7-20
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

can you remember the last time you connected to your phone\remote was it in video mode or photo mode?? There is a bug where if your last option is video mode, when you power up your drone (without phone or rc) gesture mode will fail....

make sure you switch back to photo mode before you power down your spark & remote (phone or rc) that would pretty much "solve" 70% of the problem
2017-7-20
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I also have lots of issues with the sun. When the sun goes down, it will recognize me, but in the afternoon when the sun is high in the sky, no matter how I position myself, it won't recognize me, so it doesn't take off.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi all, like eylneb mentioned above, and this is for sure, gesture mode can not be activated if the drone is on recording mode, and the indicator on the head of the drone will blink red fastly.
About the selfie issue during the gesture control, our engineers were aware of this and working on it. We will help to fix this with the coming firmware, please wait patiently. Thank you in advance.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Unknown User Posted at 2017-7-20 13:34
We did have the 'sun' facing us, but it was roughly 5:30 pm and one person was wearing white, I was wearing a grey tank top, and the other person was wearing black. I had a black ball cap on as well.  seems like a pretty standard usage case, but I guess including the clothing information would be important. Good reminder.

Sorry for the trouble that had been caused. But for the unsuccessfully waving back experience, could you please provide a video of the whole controlling procedures for a better confirmation? Thank you.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-7-20 09:05

Sorry for the trouble that had been caused. For the unsuccessfully waving back experience, just to verify, you made it a correct way, right? And a complex environment might affect the usage of this function. Or could you please provide a video of the whole controlling procedures for a better confirmation? Thank you.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-20 21:06

Also, if there is even the slightest breeze, when I palm launch, it comes straight at me, as if there is no collision avoidance. I literally have to duck.

Sorry for the trouble that had been caused. Just to verify, you activated the gesture mode in a correct way, right? A complex environment might affect the usage of this mode. We also got some tips on using the gesture mode for your reference, here is the tutorial:
2017-7-21
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Canada

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-20 21:37
can you remember the last time you connected to your phone\remote was it in video mode or photo mode?? There is a bug where if your last option is video mode, when you power up your drone (without phone or rc) gesture mode will fail....

make sure you switch back to photo mode before you power down your spark & remote (phone or rc) that would pretty much "solve" 70% of the problem

This is a likely culprit. I was last playing with quickshots, probably left it on video mode. Would never have considered this to be an issue, and really, shouldnt have to!
2017-7-21
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-21 02:15
Sorry for the trouble that had been caused. Just to verify, you activated the gesture mode in a correct way, right? A complex environment might affect the usage of this mode. We also got some tips on using the gesture mode for your reference, here is the tutorial:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZWcn_5NvNk&index=8&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNIrePb_pR6Rd2Cp8GaKa_i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLlsHrbVOT0&index=11&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNIrePb_pR6Rd2Cp8GaKa_i

Hi Thor, yes I am sure it was activated correctly. I had worked many times before. The environment was in an empty parking lot, nothing complex about that. Ill test again today ensuring it is shut down in photo mode first, and post results.
2017-7-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-21 04:33
Hi Thor, yes I am sure it was activated correctly. I had worked many times before. The environment was in an empty parking lot, nothing complex about that. Ill test again today ensuring it is shut down in photo mode first, and post results.

Thank you so much. And if it still not works, would you please provide a video of the whole controlling procedures for a better confirmation, too?
2017-7-21
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Malaysia

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-21 04:31
This is a likely culprit. I was last playing with quickshots, probably left it on video mode. Would never have considered this to be an issue, and really, shouldnt have to!

Mat... during "jedi" mode.. try using your fist instead of plam easier and it'll recognize it better
2017-7-21
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-21 04:39
Thank you so much. And if it still not works, would you please provide a video of the whole controlling procedures for a better confirmation, too?

Hi, an uodate, made sure it was set to photo mode before tur ing everything off, and restarting in gesture mode. Appears to work ok now! I look forward to this bug being fixed soon!
2017-7-21
Use props
Unknown User
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-21 02:08
Sorry for the trouble that had been caused. But for the unsuccessfully waving back experience, could you please provide a video of the whole controlling procedures for a better confirmation? Thank you.

Unfortunately no one was recording a video of me trying to use the drone, and my phone was busy using the drone. I'll see in the future if I can recreate the error. As far as I know I did as the video showed. I waved Good bye to try to send it away.
2017-7-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-21 14:34
Hi, an uodate, made sure it was set to photo mode before tur ing everything off, and restarting in gesture mode. Appears to work ok now! I look forward to this bug being fixed soon!

Thank you for the feedback and I am so glad to hear about this. Our engineers were aware of and working on the selfie issue during the gesture control, we will also help to escalate the process, too.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we’d love to help.
2017-7-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Unknown User Posted at 2017-7-23 18:49
Unfortunately no one was recording a video of me trying to use the drone, and my phone was busy using the drone. I'll see in the future if I can recreate the error. As far as I know I did as the video showed. I waved Good bye to try to send it away.

That's alright. And now all my suggestions are to test many times about this function if it is convenience and waiting for the next firmware's released. Sincerely sorry for this case again.
2017-7-23
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-20 21:06

Yes mine too
2017-7-23
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

MaikR Posted at 2017-7-20 22:14
I also have lots of issues with the sun. When the sun goes down, it will recognize me, but in the afternoon when the sun is high in the sky, no matter how I position myself, it won't recognize me, so it doesn't take off.

Same issue, cloudy day sun comes out and it stops working, sun goes behind a cloud and it's fine! I live in the UK the suns not that bright!
2017-7-23
Use props
Konstantinos_an
Banned
Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-23
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Malaysia

Konstantinos_an Posted at 2017-7-23 22:46
The same here, also the selfies are not saved anywhere... no card, no phone. Quite frustrating.

make sure the last mode you are in when you shutdown your remote\virtual joysticks is in photo mode.. if in video guesture mode will not work, when you launch your spark from palm. (not connected to rc\virtualjoysticks)
2017-7-23
Use props
Konstantinos_an
Banned
Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-23 23:03
make sure the last mode you are in when you shutdown your remote\virtual joysticks is in photo mode.. if in video guesture mode will not work, when you launch your spark from palm. (not connected to rc\virtualjoysticks)

Good job elyneb, didn't realise that one. Thank you.
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules