Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Misleading]Pretty soon your drone will be at the mercy of
1269 9 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Just read this...this company got several millions from the military and venture capitals  to developp anti drone system that would be used by
military, police departments, sports arena, airport etc...

DJI needs to really secure our drones so no one can access our drones legally or illegally with a push of a button.

Here we go:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/20/ ... military/index.html

2017-7-20
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

2017-7-20
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-20 13:47
https://youtu.be/X27-2WDIZR0
https://youtu.be/6vTLKz397KU
https://youtu.be/mi3Ed-paCE4

Those are old news! This one has an interesting feature that will force the  drone to use its  RTH and fly back to you so they can get to your location among other things.
2017-7-20
Use props
Twirlip
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

On the contrary, I think there definitely needs to be a way to take down drones.  In the wrong hands-- someone who's actively malicious, or even just being recklessly stupid-- a drone can cause serious problems, including injuring innocent people.

You can say "need to secure drones so nobody can access them illegally with the push of a button" ... but who's going to secure locations and innocent bystanders so that they can't be threatened by illegal drones?

I say this as a (new and enthusiastic) drone operator.  I love flying my new drone.  I'd like to continue being able to do so.  And yet, there are lots and lots of places I can't fly-- even places that seem to me to be reasonable to fly-- because of the increasing restrictions on where one can go.  It's getting harder and harder to find a place where one can legally fly a drone.  As a drone operator, I'd love it if I could fly more confidently and freely.

So it may seem odd that I'd be in favor of anti-drone defense technology... but ask yourself:  why are there all these anti-drone laws?  Because people feel threatened, that's why.  The vast majority of the population are not drone operators, and feel threatened by drones.  And whenever some moron flies a drone somewhere they really, really shouldn't, they give all drone operators a black eye-- even though the majority of them are responsible and safe.  People feel especially threatened by something over which they have no control or defense.

I'm not worried that suddenly the skies are going to be wiped clean of all drones by a proliferation of anti-drone systems.  I suppose it's technically possible... but I'm much more worried that some idiot (or terrorist) is going to do something spectacularly harmful with a drone, and in the resultant media frenzy, drones are going to get blanket-banned practically everywhere.

So I welcome the advent of drone-defensive technologies.  I expect that the drones that will get taken down are much more likely to be some idiot flying a drone over a crowded stadium than me, when I'm off in the wilderness away from people flying my drone safely and legally.  And I'd much rather that the idiot's drone get taken away from him, before he precipitates a disaster and prompts the imposition of harsher anti-drone laws.

Y'know what I'd really like to see?  Have a requirement that drones have to have transponders on them, the way aircraft do.  Each drone has a little radio beacon that broadcasts its location and its ID code, continuously while in the air.  Make it a public standard so that anyone can point a cheap, commercially available transponder reader at a drone and get the ID code.  I think that drone operators would be a lot more responsible and careful if they knew that their drone is going to be publicly identifiable from a distance, in a way that will land them in hot water if they break the law.

Of course, there would be people who would then build rogue drones that don't have transponders... but then it would be open season on any such drone.  They'd essentially be announcing themselves by visibly not following rules, like a car driving around without a license plate.
2017-7-20
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Seychelles

Twirlip Posted at 2017-7-20 14:09
On the contrary, I think there definitely needs to be a way to take down drones.  In the wrong hands-- someone who's actively malicious, or even just being recklessly stupid-- a drone can cause serious problems, including injuring innocent people.

You can say "need to secure drones so nobody can access them illegally with the push of a button" ... but who's going to secure locations and innocent bystanders so that they can't be threatened by illegal drones?

I see your point BUT... as we all know there are those IDIOTS drone pilot and we also know those ZEALOUS law enforcement nut case shooting at anything that moves or in our case getting down the wrong drone and causing more harm than good. Or the case of your terrorist scenario hacking your drones and dropping it anywhere like LET IT RAIN, LET IT RAIN...

It is the responsibility of the individual pilot not the whole community. If a white person kill someone you won't take the entire white people to jail, do you ???

We should not be afraid of the media nor the public and we just need to point out, as a responsible community, that it is the INDIVIDUAL, who is responsible for their own actions and stop the FEAR MONGERING that started with the 911 events that took our freedom away piece by piece using the fear tactic.

Any idiots flying irresponsibly we should CALL THEM OUT one by one.

2017-7-20
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

Twirlip Posted at 2017-7-20 14:09

I believe that all the DJI drones can already by identified today by their unique radio frequency code.
Perhaps someone who knows the precise technicalities involved could chime in here.

Something like this:
https://www.recode.net/2017/6/30 ... entify-drone-policy
https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... rk-for-small-drones
2017-7-20
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-20 14:53
I believe that all the DJI drones can already by identified today by their unique radio frequency code.
Perhaps someone who knows the precise technicalities involved could chime in here.

That is why no more updating and flying only with airplane mode after the HK!
2017-7-20
Use props
Twirlip
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-20 14:53

Ah, there we go.  Precisely that.  Hadn't actually read the article before, but it's describing pretty much exactly what I'd like to see.  :-)

Noteworthy comment from the article:  "DJI, the world’s largest consumer drone maker, submitted a proposal that would require drones to transmit their location and registration number via radio equipment already aboard most drones."  It then links to this:

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... rk-for-small-drones

...so it seems technically feasible (or DJI wouldn't be proposing it), and hopefully getting something like that in place could help to mitigate the small number of bad apples who ruin things for the rest of us.  Both by making it easier to catch them, and also by (hopefully) dissuading at least some of them from pulling dangerous and illegal stunts in the first place.  Which in turn lowers the chance of some disaster that would result in more draconian legislation that would ruin things for all of us.
2017-7-20
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Belgium

Twirlip Posted at 2017-7-20 15:54
Ah, there we go.  Precisely that.  Hadn't actually read the article before, but it's describing pretty much exactly what I'd like to see.  :-)

Noteworthy comment from the article:  "DJI, the world’s largest consumer drone maker, submitted a proposal that would require drones to transmit their location and registration number via radio equipment already aboard most drones."  It then links to this:

I agree with you.
I have no issue with the fact that my drone can be traced to me, its owner, I have nothing to hide.
After all, when I drive in my car, there are also license plates on it, which identify the owner of that car.
In any case, in my country, Belgium, flying a drone is extremely restricted.
When I see what you guys in the US are allowed to do with your drones, I could cry...
2017-7-21
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

ADS-B for drones would be ideal as it'd slot into the existing systems and be visible for equipped ground stations and collision avoidance on tcas equipped aircraft.
Whether its practical is another matter.
2017-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules