P3P Erratic behavior post Firmware update v 1.11.2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Inspector_Tim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35899 ft
United States

I've not had any issues with the bird until today.. after getting nagged I updated bird and remote.

Well.. the FW update for the bird went OK. Placed 2nd battery in to update firmware, OK.

Updated the Controller.. said update Failed, then updated OK and reset controller? That's new (for me anyway).

The app no longer displayed maps, I then synced data and re-installed map iOS / Mini Ipad 3

Then maps displayed OK..

After I re-installed app, got re-linked to controller...Here's what I noticed..

- When I bring the bird close to the ground, gets "Erratic"... meaning before the FW update, it's been rock solid steady, at any distance from ground. It now seems to drift around a lot last 10 feet or so from ground, I had to "steer" it down to earth. Turned all off, turned all back on, re-cal'd compass and same thing. Weird, makes me think unsafe???? Breezy out, but not windy and where I live it's always been windy but the Phantom has always been super solid.

- The gimbal seems to go side to side post start up, to point it makes creaking sort of sound.. weird, not every time either.

- The app nags every time I take off and land now? Is this normal? The "I understand I'm responsible etc"

I had not updated for some time.. but recently and as the iOS app DJI Go updates automatically, the messages were getting demanding and making me re-sign in etc.. I gave in and maybe I shouldn't have..

Any advice or insight on these? Especially it seeming kind of erratic and drifting around last portion of decent to land.. which IS kind of scary to me. I think if I wasn't a bit more practiced, it would have drifted kind of considerably, maybe crashed (which it's never done or come close... I'm careful).
2017-7-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Tim,

The erratic behavior close to ground should be related to the Vision Positioning System (VPS).  One test could be to shut down the VPS and see if that makes a difference close to the ground.  Refreshing the Aircraft firmware might also help.  What did the .txt file say after the update?

Another possibility could be the IMU.  Sometimes after an update, the IMU and other subsystems (compass, etc.) have to be re-calibrated.  Be sure to use a level to create a truly flat surface away from electromagnetic interference like running fans, radios, etc. for the IMU calibration.  I use my picnic table in my back yard or my little plastic launch/landing table that is easier to level.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-20
Use props
Inspector_Tim
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-20 19:12
Aloha Tim,

The erratic behavior close to ground should be related to the Vision Positioning System (VPS).  One test could be to shut down the VPS and see if that makes a difference close to the ground.  Refreshing the Aircraft firmware might also help.  What did the .txt file say after the update?

Aloha and Thanks!

As the controller reset, the VPS may have turned back on and I think it was off before update, I'll definitely try as that makes sense.

I seem to remember getting the bird cold or at least it being cold for IMU.. I'll have to get a torpedo level and try that as well.

I don't know how to refresh FW on the bird OR controller. I'll have to look that one up!
Forgot to mention.. .txt file was success
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

What Cetacean said is correct, have you tried that? How is it going? Besides ,do not forget to check the GPS signal before take off, make sure it is strong enough to fly(More than 10 satellites can be detected) .
2017-7-21
Use props
Inspector_Tim
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-21 01:52
What Cetacean said is correct, have you tried that? How is it going? Besides ,do not forget to check the GPS signal before take off, make sure it is strong enough to fly(More than 10 satellites can be detected) .

So, turned off the VPS and I think there was *some* improvement, but still shaky and drifting around a lot more prior to FW update. I'm going to fly at a different location and see if there's an interference issue or similar.

On another note.. the DJI Go update is a trainwreck.. my (and a bunch of others) ipad mini 2 stutters and lags..

Worked great, I wish I could go back and downgrade FW on bird and app, I don't think that's an option though..

2017-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules