Galaxy S8+ with Otterbox fits in RC if you take the inserts out
1061 6 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rick bernotas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 194944 ft
United States

I was all ready to buy one of the tablet adapters to make my GS8+ with Otterbox case fit better with the RC arms.

But then I realized you could take the inserts in the RC arms out.  There are 6 screws, you will need a T5 torx / star micro driver to back them out.  Then the inserts will just slide right out.

The rubber exterior of an Otterbox case is more than grippy enough to stay in the arms and it survived the shake test for me.

I imagine the Mavic guys must know about this already... I just realized I could do this today.

FYI for those with large display phones and thick cases like the otterbox.  Its so much better to take those dinky inserts out.
2017-7-20
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

thx for the tip
2017-7-20
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

My CAT S60 also fit if I cut a little bit of the rubber parts. I tryed with removing the inserts first but the friction was not enought and phone could not stay in place. That's why I wen't for cutting

I guess DJI (or some third party vendor) should propose some other sizes of inserts for bigger/thicker phones
2017-7-20
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Malaysia

Matioupi Posted at 2017-7-20 21:59
My CAT S60 also fit if I cut a little bit of the rubber parts. I tryed with removing the inserts first but the friction was not enought and phone could not stay in place. That's why I wen't for cutting

I guess DJI (or some third party vendor) should propose some other sizes of inserts for bigger/thicker phones

there are 3rd party products for that.. can look for Tablet mount for mavic pro (should work for spark remote too & should be able to fit your phone), just ensure the holder can turn...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4K81HS?psc=1
i ordered 1 similair, will test it out if it fits for iphone 7 with thick casing.
2017-7-20
Use props
eylneb
lvl.4
Malaysia

This is how it looks like
IMG_7691.JPG
2017-7-21
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
United States

This was the adapter that I was looking at before I took the inserts out.  The thing I liked about this adapter is that it nearly completely folds flat when not using it, so it would be easy to pack:

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Mavic ... Alloy/dp/B071RK5FYY

Ultimately I am way happier, though, by just removing the inserts in the RC arms.  It's less to set up when I want to fly (as opposed to using the adapter), and I find it easier to quickly move my thumbs off the control sticks to work with the touch screen options (as opposed to having to move my whole hand to use the touchscreen when you have an adapter).

The things that are nice about these adapters, though, is that for one, they put the phone/tablet display much closer to your field of vision in a more comfortable location for your neck, and two, most of them have a built in neck lanyard attachment to prevent drops of the RC/phone/tablet.
2017-7-21
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
United States

Matioupi Posted at 2017-7-20 21:59

I agree with you, it would actually be nice if an enterprising third party would come up with some different size inserts for different thickness and width phone/case configurations.

Honestly it should probably come straight from DJI... kind of like the 3 sets of earbuds that Samsung gives you with phone headphones, and you pick the one that fits your ear best.
2017-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules