Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Please Read! Do not update your firmware for any reason!
7743 35 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trump
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139295 ft
United States

DO NOT UPDATE!! WAIT UNTIL THIS IS FIXED, IF EVER!

Consider this somewhat of a Public Service Announcement. I don't want you to be grounded!

If you choose to update after being warned, please don't ask for help, because currently there is no help. Most everyone that has updated is asking for help, and unfortunately, DJI is silent on the matter for whatever reason, other than the dedicated people on this forum that either work for DJI and are taking the brunt of the anger and really want to help but can't, or the people that have drank DJI Kool-Aid, thinking that someday they will be recognized in some manner, but never will.

In either case, please wait BEFORE UPDATING, or SUFFER THE INEVIDABLE IN SILENCE

2017-7-20
Use props
VIKASKT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2262828 ft

India

Hey, similar experience i had yesterday when i was flying Kraken with DJI A3 controller, i lost the signal and my copter started flying on its own finally ended up crashing. Will post the videos and details in a separate thread
2017-7-20
Use props
Trump
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-20 21:13
'or the people that have drank DJI Kool-Aid, thinking that someday they will be recognized in some manner, but never will.'

You are about as ignorant as your namesake.

Geebax, not sure why you would say that. My name has nothing to do with you think it does (look up the card game pinochle), and even if it did my name should not concern you.

This post was a warning to people to not update until this is sorted out, as every day more and more folks are grounded. For some reason people have not yet gotten the message.

Finally, on the DJI Kool-Aid thing. Apparently that is what seems to have struck a nerve with you. Actually I was crediting the dedicated people who are trying to help, including the Kool-Aid drinkers, which I guess can only lead me ask - are you one of those DJI Kool-Aid drinkers Geebax?

You don't have to answer that question, I think I know the answer, but then again I am ignorant. Can't win!
2017-7-21
Use props
ninjapimp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 198222 ft
United States

i updated to latest firmware on my phantom 4 pro adv and i'm not noticing any problems yet. what i did not notice is: it wiped out all my settings, camera settings gone, max height, my settings for taking pictures, it all went default. pain int he butt to set them all up again.
2017-7-21
Use props
rachoban
lvl.1

United States

can someone tell me what firmware version is bad and what is the last firmware version that is good
2017-7-21
Use props
Art - N4PJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-7-21 04:54
i updated to latest firmware on my phantom 4 pro adv and i'm not noticing any problems yet. what i did not notice is: it wiped out all my settings, camera settings gone, max height, my settings for taking pictures, it all went default. pain int he butt to set them all up again.

Unfortunately, this seems to be more of a "norm" than it ought to be. While I've personally not experienced the "...installed latest update and now my Phantom is just a door-stop..." what you describe has happened with several firmware updates. As you wade through the appropriate menus and reset things to your personal preferences, make certain that what you changed does stay changed.

Some of the settings either can't be done or won't stay where you set them unless everything is turned on and running.

Thank heavens my car doesn't have firmware!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2017-7-21
Use props
Trump
lvl.4
United States

Art - N4PJ Posted at 2017-7-21 06:01
Unfortunately, this seems to be more of a "norm" than it ought to be. While I've personally not experienced the "...installed latest update and now my Phantom is just a door-stop..." what you describe has happened with several firmware updates. As you wade through the appropriate menus and reset things to your personal preferences, make certain that what you changed does stay changed.

Some of the settings either can't be done or won't stay where you set them unless everything is turned on and running.

I spent 20+ years in Information Technology, and on many occasions I have updated firmware on many different devices. Each time I did, even through all those years, my heart would pound as I was doing it, because anyone who has ever done it knows that if anything goes wrong during the process, you will have nothing more than a brick left to work with. If you make it through the update process, you are only left hoping that the new firmware isn't worse than the old.

Knowing this, you would think that DJI would be a little more careful. I don't get it. I will NEVER update my quad again, and thankfully I didn't this time.
I am sure this will be my last quad with all the forced restrictions they are sneaking into the firmware, I will never let them control me, so gotta keep this one running

2017-7-21
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

"Thank heavens my car doesn't have firmware!"

Art - N4PJ:

Unless you have a plug-and-points engine, your car has firmware. Sorry.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-7-21
Use props
Big Hoss
lvl.1
United States

This is funny.  I have NEVER posted to the forums and I came here to say that I was happy with the firmware upgrades.  I got my Phantom 4 back in February and it has never worked right.  The video feed on my tablet (unapproved, brand new, dedicated Lenovo) was unusable.  No matter what I tried, and I tried everything I could find on the web or could think of, I could not resolve the video feed issue on the tablet and I was not going to go buy an iPad.  I bought a dual mount for my controller, bought an FPV monitor with HDMI input, and the DJI replacement board to add HDMI output to my controller.  This way I can have the tablet show the map and simultaneously see the video feed on the FPV monitor.  

I hadn't turned on my drone in about 2 months so I did this week and the Go 4 app said there was an update so I did that, then the app said there was a firmware update for the aircraft so I did that (stuck on 99% as usual) and then it said there was a FW update for the RC.  When I tried to download it, it would immediately say failed.  Retry-Failed!  Because the Aircraft stuck at 99%, I went ahead and tried to use the assistant 2 to update it or downgrade it but was unsuccessful because it would not recognize the aircraft was connected to the usb port.  I started a chat with a DJI tech and he kept asking me questions which I had already stated in my original description of the sequence and the problem which was frustrating.  Then he said to ship the Phantom 4 back for repair.  I said thanks and closed the chat window.  I found in the forums where someone stated to run a batch file within the assistant 2 installation and that took care of the issue with assistant 2 not recognizing the aircraft but I had no option to downgrade the firmware which was what I had hoped to do.  So I reloaded the latest FW but that changed nothing.  The Go 4 app still reported the RC needed a FW update but it failed.  Then I saw where the app said to check my WiFi connection to make sure I was connected.  I thought, you wouldn't know my FW was out of date if I didn't have a WiFi connection so I thought maybe there was something wrong with the Go 4 app install.  I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it and then the FW update worked as expected.  What I didn't expect was that when I flew it, the video feed, which never worked on the tablet, worked perfectly.  No freeze, no green video, no half pages, etc.  So for the first time since I bought this Phantom 4, it is working properly.  At this point I WILL turn off my WiFi connection so that nothing gets messed up!  Good luck all.
Big Hoss
2017-7-21
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Introducing DJI's newest failware for the Phantom 4. New features include, tweaker mode, bucking bronco mode, peak a boo streaming video mode that includes green screen streaming, guess your altitude mode, watch your landing gear mode, rapid rpm change mode, yoyo mode, and my very favorite; brick mode.  Available now at DJI.com
2017-7-21
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
United States

Duchunter:

Great new feature list. I'm laughing at the ludicrousness of it all. (Yeah, I know it's not really funny, but still...)

But Duch, you've got to glam it up a bit: Add caps, make them bullet points, add short descriptions of each mode (although your inventive names tend to speak for themselves).

For example: Buckin' Bronco Mode: Challenge your friends to watch BB Mode video--see who's lunch comes up first.

I know I'm asking a lot, but you've got the time and the resources. You even have a swamp nearby you can use for on-location shooting (what a metaphor be there).

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-7-21
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-21 07:40
Introducing DJI's newest failware for the Phantom 4. New features include, tweaker mode, bucking bronco mode, peak a boo streaming video mode that includes green screen streaming, guess your altitude mode, watch your landing gear mode, rapid rpm change mode, yoyo mode, and my very favorite; brick mode.  Available now at DJI.com

Wow, I'd thought they would reserve brick mode for the flagship models. Ya know, to encourage people to buy the latest hardware. Super stoked that us P4 owners are getting access to these wonderful new features. I think DJI must be following Apple's model of making sure that all of their customers are equally f***ed over - not just the new ones.
2017-7-21
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-21 07:40

hahaha!  

When I worked in retail, we had some real POS junk (cameras) and we asked the boss, "Who's gonna buy this expensive junk?'  His reply was, "Someone will."  And he was right.

Bad part was when they came back in looking angry, we would go to lunch and let him deal with it.
2017-7-21
Use props
Ercoupedriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1075778 ft
United States

Just a simple question here from an analog man.  If there was a bug in the F.W. update, why does it not effect everyone who downloads it?  I have had zero problems with my update.  Just a question.
2017-7-21
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
United States

Ercoupedriver Posted at 2017-7-21 09:24
Just a simple question here from an analog man.  If there was a bug in the F.W. update, why does it not effect everyone who downloads it?  I have had zero problems with my update.  Just a question.

Ercoupedriver:

Bad batch, maybe?   I mean, they must have lot numbers and dates, right?

But would you describe the specific order of steps that you took for your update?

Keep Smiling,

Augustus

2017-7-21
Use props
Jeffames226
lvl.3
United States

Could be several reasons why not everyone hasn't had problems....YET!  Maybe because some haven't even updated yet.  Others may not have flown since updating.  And finally MOST who did update haven't traveled out of their own little safe "bubbles" where they have been able to fly into a dreaded NFZ that is impossible to unlock.  These "zones" are getting out of hand and spreading like a virus.  The area I live in is safe but when I recently traveled I was unable to fly in areas I bought the drone for in the first place.  There was no POSSIBLE WAY to even unlock these zones.
2017-7-21
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok, Let me first say that,  I understand the need for some control of the UAV by the manufacturer (not really, but let's say that I do).

The specs for the P4P camera rival even that of the inspire. So, while the air frame may not be 'professional', the optics certainly are (or very close). The P4P will be a very popular platform for commercial pilots starting a drone photography and videography business. Many of these customers will get (or have) their part 107 license
  My question is this;
  Rather than send out a firmware that locks down ALL uav. What about this. When a pilot learns, takes, passes and is part 107 certified (in the US of course), that certificate is forwarded to DJI and they COMPLETELY UNLOCK the aircraft. As it is, part 107 pilots know what airspace needs to be authorized and what to do to make that happen. They know and have proven that they know the right thing to do. Why add another 'layer' of hoops to jump through when the FAA has already created plenty!

In fact, what if you have your 107 BEFORE you purchase your drone - you order, submit that proof and get an unlocked drone. You have to register it with the FAA anyway, so if you ever unregistered it (to sell it) there would be a paper trail and if the buyer isn't part 107 certified, the drone would then be locked. It know it sounds like a lot for DJI to keep up with.... well, if you want control AND want to offer great customer service, if may take some work. I paid my money, why do I have to do the leg work too?

Also, people without the part 107 would understand that their drones would not only be locked for NFZ, but that their aircraft would not be subject to the same specs (distance and altitude) as part 107 pilots. Hobbyists don't need more that, say, 3000 feet distance and... I don't know, lets say 200' (agl). Why would a hobbyists need a drone rated to travel over 4 miles?!  It would be an easy thing to sell part 107 approved (commercial) and hobbyist versions of the phantom 4 Pro (or any drone for that matter).  After all, gun manufacturers do it with guns, they'll make the 'full version' plus a California version, plus a Michigan version, and so on. If they can do it, so can DJI.

So, treat this enterprise like, let's say a car manufacturer or a gun manufacturer. You ONLY sell the product. The buyer assumes ALL responsibility for the use of the product. If you drive drunk or shoot someone - the INDIVIDUAL who breaks the law is the one who is responsible - NOT the company who built the product.  cars, guns, drones,....... pretty much any product you can name can be used for both good..... or evil.  You can't get criminals to obey laws. That's not what they do. However, with restrictions piled on top of restrictions, you CAN p!ss off the good guy who buys your product and wants to do the right thing with it.... but can't, because control of the property that he purchased has been taken away.  Sorry for the rant, but there has to be a better way to do this.
I know some people will say.... but, but, but... drones can do XYZ and cause terrible things to happen to innocent people..... kind of like a person who steals a truck and rams into a crowd of people?  See what I'm saying?  bad people WILL ALWAYS do bad things with whatever they can get their hands on.  Making my drone a paperweight isn't going to change that.
2017-7-21
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I updated after I received my replacement from DJI. And I've had no problems. Maybe its earlier versions of hardware that had the. problems. What ages are these peoples Phantoms that are showing problems?
2017-7-21
Use props
Ercoupedriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1075778 ft
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-7-21 10:17
Ercoupedriver:

Bad batch, maybe?   I mean, they must have lot numbers and dates, right?

Augustus:
1.  Updated my Go app. on my Ipad Air2.
2.  Updated my DJI Assistant to the latest version on my home computer  I don't like using my Ipad for this.
3.  Updated the aircraft using the USB port.
4.  Updated the R.C.
5.  Adjusted the sensitivity down on the control sticks, Calibrated the sticks.  calibrated the IMU, Compass and reset the limits.  Make sure the service is level, and I mean level for the IMU cal.
6.  Took it out for a test drive and it flew just like before if not better.  Flew 3 batteries trying out the new gesture and other things.  Maybe doing the upgrade with the computer is what needs to be done, just wondering.
2017-7-21
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

ninjapimp Posted at 2017-7-21 04:54

The problems are only on the p4. No problems with p4a/p. At least not these problems anyway.
2017-7-21
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Flying Wolf_NOL Posted at 2017-7-21 11:04
Ok, Let me first say that,  I understand the need for some control of the UAV by the manufacturer (not really, but let's say that I do).

The specs for the P4P camera rival even that of the inspire. So, while the air frame may not be 'professional', the optics certainly are (or very close). The P4P will be a very popular platform for commercial pilots starting a drone photography and videography business. Many of these customers will get (or have) their part 107 license

Agree.

They could lock the flight distance operation down for non-107 pilots and unlock for 107 rated.  I'd go for even 1000' horizontal and 150' AGL also which would allow for the non-107 FPV racer drones too.

The 107 pilots could stand to lose a license if they acted bad, but those without a 107 would need to be educated a bit on airspace regs to get out of the beginner or lock-down mode of a limited flight distance.  Might encourage more beginners to become 107 pilots and maybe follow the rules a bit better than present.

DJI could probably access the FAA IACRA site that does the 107 licenses to verify whose drones need to be released from lock-down too.
2017-7-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-7-21 16:19
Agree.

They could lock the flight distance operation down for non-107 pilots and unlock for 107 rated.  I'd go for even 1000' horizontal and 150' AGL also which would allow for the non-107 FPV racer drones too.

And for those owners outside of the US?
2017-7-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

*thread has been slightly edited by a mod to remove a separate user's offensive post*

Regardless, like ercoupedriver, my experience with the upgrade hasn't been the diabolical experience that others clearly had. The only issue experienced on my first day of flights was the 'jerking', preventing a perfect hover. But the gimbal appears to manage it, and I've captured clean video (note that I can still record 4K). I'm hoping for a fix from DJI for this too.

A good question asked here is why such variable success? I can only offer that there are numerous variables in the Craft update process: clean install of Assistant 2 to a PC (can't comment on Macs), the SD card (make sure it's freshly formatted on craft), craft temperature (ensure the update is started with craft just powered up so it's cool), and the DJI server and internet (hope that servers aren't busy so that you have a clean download of firmware).

For the first, I can tell you that there is Still an unsigned driver in the installation of the latest Assistant 2 (v1.1.2-2). You will not see the error preventing that driver's installation as the DOS CMD script executes without stopping (in the black box). You can resolve this by uninstalling any earlier version, rebooting the PC with driver signature enforcement off (Shift-Restart and Troubleshooting mode), and running the latest Assistant 2 executable with Administrator rights (right click on the Exe file, and select that). Should an error prompt appear at the point the DOS script runs, select to install the unsigned driver. That should be one variable out of the way...

Oh, and perhaps sacrifice a couple of chickens and do a chant at the same time...
2017-7-21
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-21 16:24
And for those owners outside of the US?

Well, that is an issue as I stated. I know some countries have very strict Regs and some are very lax. I understand this whole thing is a work in progress. However,  I feel that a vast majority of users are in the US. (?). AND the US has a system in place. It's not perfect, but there is one.  So, at least those users could be taken off the list of the dissatisfied (hopefully).  At least the part 107 folks would be happy.

I'm just trying to find a place between keeping customers happy and following the regulations.  Again, at least in the US.
2017-7-21
Use props
CDSanford249
New
United States

I uodated w/o problems, there were a couple of delays at 23% download and update but the test flight after went well.
2017-7-21
Use props
CDSanford249
New
United States

If your card was made in the last four decades, you most likely are wrong.
2017-7-21
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-21 16:41
*thread has been slightly edited by a mod to remove a separate user's offensive post*

Regardless, like ercoupedriver, my experience with the upgrade hasn't been the diabolical experience that others clearly had. The only issue experienced on my first day of flights was the 'jerking', preventing a perfect hover. But the gimbal appears to manage it, and I've captured clean video (note that I can still record 4K). I'm hoping for a fix from DJI for this too.

Are you getting Frame Alignment error?
I having this error but Calibrate Now isn't grey-out, can finish the calibration at least. I tried uninstall/re-install on both Win 7 & Imac, the error still there.
2017-7-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-21 18:41
Are you getting Frame Alignment error?
I having this error but Calibrate Now isn't grey-out, can finish the calibration at least. I tried uninstall/re-install on both Win 7 & Imac, the error still there.

Yep - I started a thread on that under "General Support". I still get the message, but like you can do the calibrate - so long as I've installed Assistant 2 the way I described above.
2017-7-21
Use props
Kmelx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 211870 ft
United Kingdom

I doubt the hardware, firmware and software in every DJI device is the same for all components, so someone who owns the same model device as you but which was manufactured in a different batch at a different time may have a drone that looks the same but behaves somewhat differently when the firmware is updated.
2017-7-22
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-7-21 16:19
Agree.

Your beef is with regulators in the USA.   They tell DJI what restrictions must be imposed in order to sell in the USA.  Most of the regulations you're dealing with were imposed between 2008 and 2016 and will not likely be relaxed.

If you want these changes you FIRST have to convince US regulators that the change is warranted....file ALL the proper papers and go through all the proper channels.    You will need a staff of thousands,  a budget of millions and the patience of Jobe......only to find it impossible.   And even if you succeeded, you'd STILL have to repeat the process with DJI.

Good luck Jim.

Asking DJI to change the restrictions is like asking NASA to change the menu at McDonalds.
2017-7-22
Use props
Art - N4PJ
First Officer
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-7-21 07:11
"Thank heavens my car doesn't have firmware!"

Art - N4PJ:

Yes, you're absolutely right. Of course, the context, relative to the Phantom, is somewhat different. Since I own a hybrid, there are indeed a lot of similarities with what we're discussing. The proliferation of computers in cars today is such that I won't put my amateur radio in my hybrid - there's too much danger I'll clobber something (electronically speaking).

2017-7-22
Use props
Art - N4PJ
First Officer
United States

CDSanford249 Posted at 2017-7-21 17:46
If your card was made in the last four decades, you most likely are wrong.

I would be willing to bet you a serious sum of money there were no SD cards in 1977. (Four decades ago)

I owned a PC at home before I was provided one at work. Things have changed sufficiently in four decades that what happened in the 1980s has little, if any, bearing on today's technology, both in manufacturing and use. I paid over $100 for a 16k RAM card, bringing my computer to a whopping 64k of memory. Then, an additional cost for a CP/M card so I could run dBase and WordStar. Otherwise, the 48k machine was little more than a toy.

Today's specs show PCs more than several thousand times faster than the early 1980s and unheard-of memory capability. Comparison of something today is only a fair comparison with five years ago - not 40. A huge number of people on this forum were likely not even born before 1980!
2017-7-22
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-7-22 02:36
Your beef is with regulators in the USA.   They tell DJI what restrictions must be imposed in order to sell in the USA.  Most of the regulations you're dealing with were imposed between 2008 and 2016 and will not likely be relaxed.

If you want these changes you FIRST have to convince US regulators that the change is warranted....file ALL the proper papers and go through all the proper channels.    You will need a staff of thousands,  a budget of millions and the patience of Jobe......only to find it impossible.   And even if you succeeded, you'd STILL have to repeat the process with DJI.

According to a DJI tutorial video, NFZ areas CAN be unlocked with the proper FAA authorization (and proof sent to them).  All I'm saying is IF you're already a part 107 operator (I know, I know... that's only for the U.S.) then you should be able to submit that fact to DJI and get your drone unlocked for the entire time you own it.  Why do I need to submit authorization every time when they know that I can only get the proper authorization when I'm certified. I can't get it without the certification.  

I'm just trying to streamline the process when there are already so many hoops to jump through.  It would be nice if one of them could be taken away. That's all I'm suggesting.
2017-7-22
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
United States

Art - N4PJ Posted at 2017-7-22 02:59
I would be willing to bet you a serious sum of money there were no SD cards in 1977. (Four decades ago)

I owned a PC at home before I was provided one at work. Things have changed sufficiently in four decades that what happened in the 1980s has little, if any, bearing on today's technology, both in manufacturing and use. I paid over $100 for a 16k RAM card, bringing my computer to a whopping 64k of memory. Then, an additional cost for a CP/M card so I could run dBase and WordStar. Otherwise, the 48k machine was little more than a toy.

Art - N4PJ:

dBase???? You mean Vulcan? Gee, you might actually still own a car with a rotary distributor. I know I'd still have my Chevelle-almost-a-Malibu, had it not been towed away unused, once I'd disavowed it in preference for the Accord, er, the Civic. Those were the days...

And I do think CDSanford249's spellwrecker inserted "card" when he meant "car", but your statement still stands: The only SD Cards around in 1977 were in the Daestrom's M-5 multitronic unit, later used by Gary Seven's temp. And that was actually in '67.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-7-22
Use props
Trump
lvl.4
United States

Hey Folks, may want to jump over to here http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... d%3D368&page=15 , looks like the best option to fly again
2017-7-23
Use props
Timmex
New
Australia

Ok I won't update the software haha
2017-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules