Any success using spark for a 360 pano photo?
8654 27 2017-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

It has been pouring with rain here for the last 5 days so struggling to test the little spark out before a big trip next week so I thought I would see if anyone has got there and tried this before me!

I quite fancy using the spark to make 360 photos on my travels. I know this is possible using the litchi app with other DJI drone and then stitching together the 40 odd images using something like hugin. But with Litchi not (yet?) available for spark I guess we are stuck with the native app.

Anyone had any success stiching to together multiple groups of the 9 photos the spark takes as a panorama into one total 360?

Any other method I'm not thinking of? As the spark is being billed as the social media drone and 360 panos are Facebook's latest popular gimick I'm surprised it dosn't do it easily out of the box. Or maybe it does and I'm missing a trick!
2017-7-24
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could try taking multiple pano's. Mark a start point on each one so they stitch together. Only stitching the final pano image instead of multiples of 9. That way you would only have to stitch say 8-10 completed pano shots.
2017-7-24
Use props
Dirk52
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I am still waiting for the Hangar 360 to support the spark. Unfortunately they don't plan to support the spark. Sad, I like the App with my Mavic.
2017-7-24
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

To answer my own thread I had a quick check flying indoors (it's still raining :-( ) and by taking 5 groups of 9 shot panos (and a few extra with the camera pointed down) and throwing the whole lot into Hugin you get a very pleasing 360 result. That was with the spark set to horizontal panorama mode - I suspect an even better result with it set to vertical panorama and using (a guess) 8 or 9 groups to get the full 360 with a couple more to fill in the floor. Hugin really is a very powerful and clever bit of free software.
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Convert Posted at 2017-7-24 04:04
To answer my own thread I had a quick check flying indoors (it's still raining :-( ) and by taking 5 groups of 9 shot panos (and a few extra with the camera pointed down) and throwing the whole lot into Hugin you get a very pleasing 360 result. That was with the spark set to horizontal panorama mode - I suspect an even better result with it set to vertical panorama and using (a guess) 8 or 9 groups to get the full 360 with a couple more to fill in the floor. Hugin really is a very powerful and clever bit of free software.

New software for spark you can now do 180  , litchi is in beta so we may see this soon, but reports say waypoints will not come with first release.
2017-7-24
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirk52 Posted at 2017-7-24 01:32
I am still waiting for the Hangar 360 to support the spark. Unfortunately they don't plan to support the spark. Sad, I like the App with my Mavic.

Hangars Autopilot is in beta with support for the spark, I couldn't get it to do pano but i only had one fully charged battery left to test it out with, Im hoping to have another go with a bunch of charged batteries tonight.
https://support.hangar.com/hc/en ... -Currently-in-Beta-
2017-7-24
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Default pano settings in Litchi for Spark is that for 360 pano? If it's not anyone know correct values to fill in to do 360 pano?
2017-8-15
Use props
ps01
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

I do my pano by shooting all the photos I need and then stitch them with 'Microsoft Image Composite Editor'
2017-8-15
Use props
ps01
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Here is a link to Microsoft image composite editor.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ... -composite-editor/#
2017-8-15
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

ps01 Posted at 2017-8-15 14:30
I do my pano by shooting all the photos I need and then stitch them with 'Microsoft Image Composite Editor'

I'm guessing we need aim Spark one way do a 180 pano then aim opposite direction do 180 pano stitch them together? Can't be that easy... have to give it a try.
2017-8-15
Use props
Fredde SWE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 838038 ft
Sweden

I have made 360 photos using my Spark with the Litchi app.
360 grader 4.jpg
2017-8-15
Use props
Kent360
lvl.4
  • >>>
Greece

Fredde SWE Posted at 2017-8-15 20:15
I have made 360 photos using my Spark with the Litchi app.

That's really interesting...just got spark combo and bought lichi want to do 360 panos.... do you have equirectangular projection and can you talk me through your experience and thoughts on settings/process? Would be really really appreciated. Tks
2017-8-15
Use props
Fredde SWE
lvl.4
Sweden

I have only used the default settings for 360 and that is 4 rows with 8 pictures each and a total of 34 pictures. I stitched them together  in the computer with Windows ICE
program(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/

Best regarfds /Fredrik
IMG_3358.PNG
2017-8-15
Use props
Kent360
lvl.4
  • >>>
Greece

Fredde SWE Posted at 2017-8-15 21:30
I have only used the default settings for 360 and that is 4 rows with 8 pictures each and a total of 34 pictures. I stitched them together  in the computer with Windows ICE
program(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/

brilliant thanks i'll give it a try, were you happy with result and what altitude... (I am in Greece at the moment and need to limit to 50m which may be too low to get a good effect?) I have ptgui pro so guess should be same as ICE.
One last question were you on IOS or android ...I have samsung s6 android.
Oh and another...nadir shots?
2017-8-15
Use props
Fredde SWE
lvl.4
Sweden

I think 50 meters will be ok. I use IOS. Very importtent is to NOT use OTG cable when you use the Litchi app. With OTG many functions in the Litchi app will not work!
2017-8-15
Use props
Kent360
lvl.4
  • >>>
Greece

Fredde SWE Posted at 2017-8-15 21:51
I think 50 meters will be ok. I use IOS. Very importtent is to NOT use OTG cable when you use the Litchi app. With OTG many functions in the Litchi app will not work!

Great thanks Fredde again.... you gave me confidence to just go and do it... need to get my photo manual parameters right but litchi did what i expected... although zenith is BIG but I'll patch it...Tks again
2017-8-15
Use props
ViDa85919
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69065 ft
Netherlands

Kent360 Posted at 2017-8-15 23:05
Great thanks Fredde again.... you gave me confidence to just go and do it... need to get my photo manual parameters right but litchi did what i expected... although zenith is BIG but I'll patch it...Tks again

Hello Kent,

Just curious if you manage to stitch the 360 picture together. Can you please share the results?
2017-8-22
Use props
ViDa85919
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69065 ft
Netherlands

Hello Fredde,

Did you also manage to upload the 360 to Facebook? Thanks for your reply
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I see some Swedish
Do you have footage online?
2017-8-22
Use props
fansfa12abad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 717290 ft
France

if you make 3 x 180 pano and use PanoramaStudio 3 Pro you will be able to made nice panorama with better quality (min 50mb/pixel)
2017-9-7
Use props
fanse5394b5d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128471 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, Ive just started making 360 panoramas, shot this on top of the Quantock Hills.

20 Images, 8 with camera straight forward, 8 with camera at 45 deg down and 4 with camera straight down.

Stitched together in Auto Pano Giga using a mirror ball projection.

Spark was only at 170 feet, but very windy day, multiple warnings in DJI Go4 about high winds

Lydeard Hill 1.jpg
2017-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanse5394b5d Posted at 2017-9-7 05:59
Hi, Ive just started making 360 panoramas, shot this on top of the Quantock Hills.

20 Images, 8 with camera straight forward, 8 with camera at 45 deg down and 4 with camera straight down.

Very nice pano!
2017-9-7
Use props
Ivanoe Fgx2
New

France

Hi, I tried the included panorama mode, but I find that exposure lock (automatically)  will restrict the dynamic range so much.
I mean that with a 180° panorama, some pictures of the frame are too dark and others are too bright, because of the sun light direction.

Good stiching programs like Microsoft ICE would work well with each picture made in Auto Exposure.
This makes a higher dynamic range.

So, is there a way to run the automatic panorama, but let the camera in Auto Exposure mode ?
I made some spheres in manual mode, make all necessary pictures, but because of the gimbal refusing to tilt up, I miss a great part of the sky
2017-9-10
Use props
Gulfu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 771240 ft
  • >>>
India

This was  done manualy  
2  180 Pano (21 + 21 images)    and 4  panos with 9 images pointing 45 degree and 90 degree  and stitched with PTGui
when  zoomed in can  see  lots of missing areas and less sharp  areas

This was done with Litchi Default  Pano settings... 34 images
Litchi is slow in capturing images..
the outerlayer is  not that sharp.. i will try another pano with litchi with more photos

2017-9-11
Use props
Floyd-Spark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52644 ft
Hong Kong

I have tried using the new Spark update to create a 360 pano but the app keeps crashing part way through the stitching process. Any ideas? I have deleted and reinstalled the app. Cleared cache. Removed background apps. I am using an iPhone 6 because there is no update for my Crystalsky to do 360 pano yet.
2017-11-7
Use props
10_ray
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109560 ft
Philippines

Hello,

Just got my spark, i'm trying to make a 360 pano in my pc using the photos taken from my spark using the 360 pano mode. I'm trying out Hugin but i'm not getting the desired result. Are there any settings to tweak in Hugin?
2018-6-12
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Haven't tried HUGIN for spheres yet, but:
You should try MS ICE ;-)
2018-6-12
Use props
Mirek6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Yes - I recommend Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor) as well. Works like a charm and you can fully control angles and distortions creating spheres. It is free and childishly easy to use. Import pictures, choose your favourite projection, wait for panorama to be stitched and adjust to your heart content. You will be amazed at the creativity you will be afforded.
2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules