Intelligent Battery Long Term Storage
9416 18 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

I recieved my P4P just over a week ago, and so far (touchwood), I'm getting what I wanted out of it - Aerial photography landscapes and video.

My question relates to the fact that later this week, I'll be going offshore (I fly subsea ROV's) for anything from 4-6 weeks, before my feet touch dry land again.

I take care of the batteries - one high capacity - two normal, charging to 100% just before flying, and putting onto 'Storage' when I get back home on the Charging Hub

I've tried finding out about this but can't find anything on long term storage for the Intelligent Flight Batteries.

Is it ok to leave the batteries on the Charging Hub (increased chance/risk of fire - would you leave something plugged into the mains for 4-6 weeks un-atteneded?) or is it ok to leave them sitting in the back-pack at 50%

Should the batteries be drained to 10% for example?

Can anyone help please?
2017-7-25
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Leave them at around 50%, they will self discharge to 50% anyway if left unplugged.  Never leave them below 10% for any length of time.
You shouldn't really leave them unattended when plugged into a charger at any time.

For maximum lifetime, store them somewhere cool while you are away, but not in the freezer.  Use an airtight box if you put them in the fridge and give them plenty of time to warm up again before you take them out of the box to charge.

When you get back don't use them until they have had a full charge and then give them all some exercise, staying unused for more than 3 months is not good for them.
2017-7-25
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Hi Rigger,
first thing, never leave the batteries in the charging hub unattended!
Secondly, use the Hub in Storage Mode before leaving, to charge/discharge all the batteries to 50% , then disconnect them and -to be absolutely safe, since you won't be there for a few weeks- put them in a fireproof container (but in a way that there is no possibility of short circuit on the connector).
( it is all explained in the Battery Manual and  Charging Hub Manual, downloadable from DJI website )
Have some good  time  with the mermaids!

storage1.png
Hub Storage Mode.png
2017-7-25
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I shouldn't never be away for more than 2 months.

You spent 3 months at sea?  No thanks!!! lol

So;

Airtight box
Fridge

When I get back;
Out of fridge
Out of airtight box
Let them warm up naturally (couple of hours so do it nicely)

Full charge - and give them all a flight to discharge.

Thanks!
2017-7-25
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Batteries are already discharged on the hub to the 50% mark.

All that I need do now - if I've read the instructions correctly is airtight box (don't have anything fireproof at hand), individually - and in the fridge.

2017-7-25
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-7-25 04:05
I shouldn't never be away for more than 2 months.

You spent 3 months at sea?  No thanks!!! lol

"When I get back;
Out of fridge
Let them warm up naturally (couple of hours so do it nicely)
Out of airtight box"
Don't take them out of the box until warmed up, otherwise you get condensation on the electronics!

I've never been at sea for more than 1 month, 3 months at sea is a good way to turn your hair grey!
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Did you get a charging hub? If you got one, you can switch the hub into Storage Mode if the battery will be a long term's storage. Or if you did not have the charging hub, the intelligent battery will discharge automatically to below 65% of total power when it is idle for more than 10 days. We also have a tutorial about the use and maintenance of the intelligent battery for your reference:   
2017-7-25
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thank you.  Yes, as I said in previous post - I have the charging hub.

I selected Storage on the hub, and let the batteries drain down to 50% overnight.

I then put them, individually, in air-tight containers, before putting them in the fridge.  They'll stay there for 5 weeks - as I am now at work - at sea.

When I get back - then I will take them out of the fridge and air-tight containters, before let them warm up naturally for a couple of hours.

Once a couple of hours have passed, I will then charge them all to 100% charge - and then take them flying where I will discharge to circa 20 to 30%.
2017-7-29
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-7-29 03:24
Thank you.  Yes, as I said in previous post - I have the charging hub.

I selected Storage on the hub, and let the batteries drain down to 50% overnight.

No, when you take them out of the fridge, keep them in the airtight containers until they are back to room temperature, otherwise humidity will condense around them... and you do not want that to happen...
2017-7-29
Use props
X-ACTO!
lvl.2
Flight distance : 837799 ft
United States

40-60 persent
2017-7-29
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-29 04:15
No, when you take them out of the fridge, keep them in the airtight containers until they are back to room temperature, otherwise humidity will condense around them... and you do not want that to happen...

The fridge sounds like overkill, surely room temperature would be good enough ?
2017-7-29
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-29 04:24

That is my opinion too...
2017-7-29
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-29 04:24

Maybe, maybe not.  It's not costing me anything to store them in the fridge within air-tight containers.

If it helps prolong the life of the battery - then why not.

I'm away for long periods of time regularly, so if this helps - I'll continue to do it.

I'll let you or other interested parties know, when I get back early Sep, how the batteries perform.
2017-7-29
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-29 04:15

Good point - forgot about the condensation factor.
2017-7-29
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-7-29 14:24
Maybe, maybe not.  It's not costing me anything to store them in the fridge within air-tight containers.

If it helps prolong the life of the battery - then why not.

"It's not costing me anything to store them in the fridge within air-tight containers."

It could cost you three batteries, nowhere in DJIs notes does it mention refrigeration is required. In fact in one section it says the ideal storage temperature is 22-28 degrees centigrade.

Their intelligent battery safety guidelines can be downloaded from Here
2017-7-29
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-29 17:36
Also you don't need to refrigerate your batteries. It makes your milk taste funny!  Especially chocolate milk.

HA!

Doesn't bear considering what 5 week old milk will taste like though
2017-8-6
Use props
TY COOL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 445433 ft

Hello mate I also work away on ships plus I own a few DJI drones I do 4weeks on 4 off, I discharge all my batteries to 50% and stow them in a sideboard and when I get back there always good to charge and go
Hope this helps all the best
Ty
2019-9-8
Use props
TY COOL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 445433 ft

Hello mate I also work away on ships plus I own a few DJI drones I do 4weeks on 4 off, I discharge all my batteries to 50% and stow them in a sideboard and when I get back there always good to charge and go
Hope this helps all the best
Ty
2019-9-8
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft

This is an old thread but just for the record :

1. Reduced temperature is actually good for storage as all chemical reactions slow down. Many people store LiPo's in the refridgerator.

2. Best is to charge up the batterys and then let the auto-discharge bring them to storage.

3. LiPo's storage is from 30 - 50% with battery manufacturers usually advising that the lower level is best. Therefore the very slow self discharge rate that occurs after auto-discharge is not a problem for some months.

4. There really is no need to manually discharge.

Hope the above helps.
2019-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules