Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Gimbal Clamp effect on motors
3334 10 2017-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb87b065a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 244350 ft
Canada

Hi,

I'm on my 25th flight with my Mavic Pro and I just love this drone! But last Sunday, after I finished shooting a sequence in a wodded area under a beautiful canopy of trees, I packed up my drone as usual and placed it in my carrying bag. A few minutes later, as I was walking along the trail with my drone closed and packed up in it's case, my wife hears the familiar sond of the Mavic powering up! She tells me "didn't you turn off the drone before putting it away?" Of course, I did, but I still checked and opened up the bag to find, to my horror, that the Mavic had powered on when the spare propelers that I carry in the pocket pouch of my case pressed against the power button!!!
I imediately pôwered it down, but the gimbal clamp was on when it powered up and now I'm worried that the gimbal may have suffered some damage. I later restarded the Mavic the correct way (gimbal clamp off, etc) and did a gimbal recalibration which took a few minutes to complete. I flew around and recorded more video to test if there was any damage. After analysing the video, I don'T notice anything off, except with the usual slight tilt on the horizon of I record video immediately after a yaw roll. My question :

How serious is t if the Mavic powers up once with the gimbal clamp on???

Thanks for any reply and forgive my panic

Tom
2017-7-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Hopefully a DJI Admin will chime in for the official verdict, but I'm pretty sure I read of an early firmware fix that prevented the gimbal motor from burning out when the clamp was left in place while powered-up.
2017-7-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

From Oct 2016: Minimized an overheating issue resulting from not removing the gimbal clamp after powering on the aircraft.

Well, "minimized" is good, right? ;)

2017-7-25
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just pray hard and then try it again and make sure no lock on the gimbal and let us know!
Also get this remote lock so you won't get the accidental "butt call" or in you case "prop call"  

REMOTE LOCK

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

How serious is t if the Mavic powers up once with the gimbal clamp on???

Not at all, apparently. I've done it a couple of times myself and seen many posts from other people who've done it and never seen or heard of it causing a detectable problem.
2017-7-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Please check if there are any error messages appear on the app. If no error message and the gimbal works fine, then the drone is all at normal. But we still suggest that be careful with this case for the next time. Because if the drone powered on with the gimbal clamp, it might cause gimbal overload and overheat. The more severe case is the damage of the gimbal, and the drone needs to be repaired in this case.
2017-7-26
Use props
MTC Music
lvl.1
Flight distance : 244350 ft
Canada

Thank you all so much for the replies. I have noticed nothing differently after powering up and recalibrating gimbal, but I will be getting a better carrying case so as to avoid the same self-powering up issue in the future. Apparently, it was my spare props that pressed up against the power button when I was carrying it in the case. I have since then removed the spare props from the case.

Thanks for the reassurance
2017-7-27
Use props
eyeloveteeth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015397 ft
  • >>>
United States

maybe do a calibration just in case?
2017-7-27
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Captain
United States

On a few occasions I've forgotten to remove the clamp before powering up. I get the "gimbal obstructed" error message reminding me to remove it. So far it hasn't developed any problems, but of course, it's something I try to avoid.
2017-7-29
Use props
Tombolian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

I was about to start a new thread but found this one... My question would be how many times has it happened to YOU? (Anybody).  Personally, I've left it on at least 10 times, being reminded by the handy warning... I just bought another one of these because I'm so forgetful.
2017-8-14
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

My understanding is that the Mavic won't even go through its initiation process with the gimbal clamp on.  It will detect the obstruction, then stop without going through its sequence.

I've forgotten a number of times.  I try to make removing the gimbal clamp part of my routine, but sometimes I forget.....
2017-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules