DJI please confirm is it the battery overheat that caused the shu...
3756 19 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Dear DJI representatives,
I think currently everyone is aware of the power cut-off.Your marketing team also confirmed the issue is from your side.

And we all suspect it is the battery issue.
DJI should be able to check this by yourselves and confirm to us, I think it is easy for you to do so.

And also, please ask engineers to let us know what happened if the battery got overheat? Was it the overheat issue?

We do not ask you to tell us the reason for now (Because maybe you not yet be able to figure out), but at least let us know which is not the cause of the issue, so that we can release our worry.

Appreciate,

2017-7-26
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

I think it falls and goes off, because people hook up the battery badly.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-26 03:56
I think it falls and goes off, because people hook up the battery badly.

You've obviously not had a spark shut down and die in flight. Nothing to do with how the battery is connected to the spark. Mine died in flight and turned itself off. When I picked it up from the floor the battery was still attached and I had to turn it back on.
2017-7-26
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Italy

I can tell you:

When my battery is going to end .. RTH when the drone lands ... touch the battery immediately to feel the heat ... but it's not hot ... instead of hot there are the engines.

Both my two batteries do not heat up in flight.

I ordered two new batteries from DJI Store in Rome..i hope arrive soon.

First flights to 30cm from the ground ... maximum speed 5kh / s on the grass ...
2017-7-26
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-26 04:12
I can tell you:

When my battery is going to end .. RTH when the drone lands ... touch the battery immediately to feel the heat ... but it's not hot ... instead of hot there are the engines.

sorry but I must disagree with you also. Of course your battery feel not so hot, because if it is hot, it would fall just like the other users.
I have just talked to the DJI online support, they also have no idea what will happen if the battery got overheat.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-26 04:13
sorry but I must disagree with you also. Of course your battery feel not so hot, because if it is hot, it would fall just like the other users.
I have just talked to the DJI online support, they also have no idea what will happen if the battery got overheat.

I'm going to experiment with my faulty battery. You can switch the battery on even if it's not connected to the spark, I'll heat it with a hot air gun whilst switched on and monitor its temp with an external sensor. I'll see if it shuts down - and at what temperature.
2017-7-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-26 04:12
I can tell you:

Lian, I don't think that you're fully comprehending the issue here.  Phuong is referring to the Spark basically "turning off" while its in the air, thus the RTH would obviously not work.  He & others tend to think that the issue might be caused by excessive heat.
2017-7-26
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-7-26 04:06
You've obviously not had a spark shut down and die in flight. Nothing to do with how the battery is connected to the spark. Mine died in flight and turned itself off. When I picked it up from the floor the battery was still attached and I had to turn it back on.

Hi, you did said you picked up the aircraft after the fall right?How is the temperature, did it feel like overheat?
If it is not the overheat issue, there is another reason that the battery got short-circuit during flight. If somehow the battery got short circuit, it will cut-off immediately, for that I can be sure because it is mentioned in the manual.
But, again, I think DJI can tell us if it is heat issue or not, they program it and they sure have enough facility to test it.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-26 04:17
Hi, you did said you picked up the aircraft after the fall right?How is the temperature, did it feel like overheat?
If it is not the overheat issue, there is another reason that the battery got short-circuit during flight. If somehow the battery got short circuit, it will cut-off immediately, for I can can be sure since it is in the manual.

It was a hot day when I flew, around 30°c, and the spark felt warm. I didn't feel the temperature of the battery itself but I'd imagine it would be operating at around 40°c. I'd imagine it would be safe to experiment with the battery up to around 50/60°c with no explosions.  I didn't check the temperature of the battery because it was the last thing I thought of for the failure as I'd flown several times in the same heat - with the older battery that has no issues.
2017-7-26
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-7-26 04:17
It was a hot day when I flew, around 30°c, and the spark felt warm. I didn't feel the temperature of the battery itself but I'd imagine it would be operating at around 40°c. I'd imagine it would be safe to experiment with the battery up to around 50/60°c with no explosions.  I didn't check the temperature of the battery because it was the last thing I thought of for the failure as I'd flown several times in the same heat - with the older battery that has no issues.

Then it doesn't sound like the heat issue, because, if if hot enough to cut the pwer, I think you should feel it immediately when touch the battery.
2017-7-26
Use props
Zirconn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242920 ft
Romania

You do realize that something so simple like battery overheating would have been found from the beginning ...
It's probably a glitch in the firmware.
2017-7-26
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Italy

i try fly at 34°C Sunny wheater

what I want to say...

Is that if the problem exists, it is not allotted to all Sparks, but only to some, maybe you have the broken temperature sensor reveals the highest ...

Also my battery is at 40 ° C but it is normal ...

I would not want there to be a problem with the CPU that goes overload and therefore wants more power = battery Drain = excessive heat.
i'm not a doctor drones...
2017-7-26
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

Zirconn Posted at 2017-7-26 04:27
You do realize that something so simple like battery overheating would have been found from the beginning ...

I actually do not think it is the firmware,if it is the firmware, since all Spark using the same firmware. It would be a mass fall, not just a few cases. That is the reason I never believe it is to do with software from the beginning.
Actually, maybe it does not "really" overheat, but the sensor somehow mal-function and trigger the overheat protection, that could also happen.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Maybe a glitch in the battery firmware? I can't see how the spark would be able to send a "shut down" command to the battery. Surely there is no point having that in the code? The battery should be intelligent enough to turn itself off either in its firmware or the button press sequence.
2017-7-26
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not necessarily... the batteries are "mass produced", possibly by a separate entity and depending on the lot/batch/serial#'s there easily could have been a faulty batch.
2017-7-26
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-7-26 04:27
Maybe a glitch in the battery firmware? I can't see how the spark would be able to send a "shut down" command to the battery. Surely there is no point having that in the code? The battery should be intelligent enough to turn itself off either in its firmware or the button press sequence.

I also do think the issue was in battery (maybe software or hardware, cannot tell), but I do agree with you.
2017-7-26
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-26 04:31
I also do think the issue was in battery (maybe software or hardware, cannot tell), but I do agree with you.

It could be thousands of reasons why this is happening, it could be anything from firmware glitch to defective hardware to a competitor sabotage, ( doubtful ) but anything possible. What bothers me is its taking dji so long to fix it?
2017-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nobody has a clue what happened, there have been many actually to many theories and all of them may very well be wrong, it's all speculation nothing more than that.

If you think dji are going to come out and tell us what went wrong, you have more chance of meeting a unicorn and two flying pigs.
2017-7-26
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Vietnam

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-26 05:10
Nobody has a clue what happened, there have been many actually to many theories and all of them may very well be wrong, it's all speculation nothing more than that.

If you think dji are going to come out and tell us what went wrong, you have more chance of meeting a unicorn and two flying pigs.

lol it is true, just trying to push DJI to see how much they are willing to share with us.
We will see how it goes with the new update
2017-7-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-7-26 05:18
lol it is true, just trying to push DJI to see how much they are willing to share with us.
We will see how it goes with the new update

A big fat duck egg 00000, I've seen this kind of thing before, I'm sure firmware may help, but will only ever be able to speculate.
There was a big problem with Mavic bigger than this, AC falling out of the sky, the theory was all the Mavics were manufactured in March , well we still are in the dark about it.
By all means keep the pressure on dji,
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules