PAL/NTSC Option in new firmware/app update?
12Next >
4561 44 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Hello can anyone who has already received the latest update, confirm, that they have added a 24fps or 25fps option (NTSC/PAL) option in the camera settings?

Thank you in advance.
2017-7-26
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

i hope 60 fps :C
2017-7-26
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Are you kidding me?? This will not be an option ever for the spark. The problem is we have unusable footage since the spark records in 30fps and our footage are either 24 or 25 fps since we are in Europe.
2017-7-26
Use props
heightoffield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2670423 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

hope we will see this soon
2017-7-26
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

Dji seem to be interested only about Usa market. They don't care if 99% of the othets country's have the Pal system and the standard is 25fps.
2017-7-26
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

Dji seem to be interested only about Usa market. They don't care if 99% of the others country's have the Pal system and the standard is 25fps. Is obvius that they are only interested about Usa market because also if they are a chinese company they  don't care that the China system  is Pal  with 25fps.
The lack of 25fps is ridiculous.
2017-7-26
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Raz this is unacceptable and also it is so easy for them to fix. We bought this thing for some special condition where Inspire 1 RAW couldn't go and we only realized that after the test flights. I couldn't believe that something like this is actually happening. Yet after a lot of chat support and many representatives guiding where the option would not exist, we have no solution but to return it.
2017-7-26
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

Someone pretends not to hear
2017-7-27
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Hello Raz, i bought the fly more combo on the 6th and received it on the 8th where i activated it. The first flight was on the 11th when i realized that this is the first camera in the world that would record 30fps but not 25fps. I did contact the chat support on the 11th. We did talk for about 90 minutes and they were trying to convince me that i wasn't seeing the option (Tried on both iOS and Android Recommended Devices). After all the print screens i've sent then they told me to wait for the fix in the next update. Now that i am telling them that, their reply is that 7 days have passed and i don't qualify for a return (in order to buy the mavic pro with extra money). I really love this little tool but it's unusable unless i fly it only to post photos on my social profiles. Not my main concern. I still can't believe this is actually an issue.
2017-7-27
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans98566db9 Posted at 2017-7-26 04:01
Are you kidding me?? This will not be an option ever for the spark. The problem is we have unusable footage since the spark records in 30fps and our footage are either 24 or 25 fps since we are in Europe.

Okay, I'm in europe...... why is 30fps unusable?  All my tv's also accept 30fps, editing programs accept 30fps. I upload to youtube in 30fps..... I do not see the problem, but maybe I'm missing something
2017-7-27
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

It does seem daft. I guess the majority of users of the spark will be recording material to be edited and uploaded to Youtube/Vimeo where 30fps will be fine irrespective of where you live in the world. It would also be interesting to know if the hardware would be capable of 50/60fps (or even 4K) and it has been disabled to not  make the mavic crossover more blurred.
2017-7-27
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

MaikR Posted at 2017-7-27 23:45
Okay, I'm in europe...... why is 30fps unusable?  All my tv's also accept 30fps, editing programs accept 30fps. I upload to youtube in 30fps..... I do not see the problem, but maybe I'm missing something

Hello MaikR, since we didn't just begin to record everything just to post them online or play them on our home TV, we have a lot of footage just before the spark was out that was recorded in 25fps. Also TV broadcasting uses 25fps wherever the PAL is a standard, even DVD Players have zones on what the could play. The problem is that you can't mix 25fps with 30fps and export to 25 fps because you get stuttering motion, therefore it's unusable. That would require all of our footage to have the same fps in order to play smoothly. It's playable but it has to delete 5 frames per second in order to export the video in 25fps so the motion would have "gaps".
2017-7-28
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I am no expert and maybe Fans can add more detail but if you want to burn your final edit to a DVD to be played on a PAL DVD player in the EU you would have to change the frame rate in the post production which will often do damage to the image quality and often the audio sync.

Otherwise as you say 30fps works for most other uses I can foresee. Again from limited knowledge if editing footage from multiple sources you want to make sure you are using the same frame rates or multiples of it (ie 50fps if using 25fps or 60fps if using 30fps for high action or clips you want to use in slow mo)
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Convert Posted at 2017-7-27 23:52
It does seem daft. I guess the majority of users of the spark will be recording material to be edited and uploaded to Youtube/Vimeo where 30fps will be fine irrespective of where you live in the world. It would also be interesting to know if the hardware would be capable of 50/60fps (or even 4K) and it has been disabled to not  make the mavic crossover more blurred.

Well sure most people use it for that or they simply don't even understand what the problem is when they see the final video of mixed framerates. it would probably be capable of doing 50/60fps or 4k but what would that help in 24Mbps bitrate. Also i don't think the processor they 've used can handle that. Or if it did it would have very high temperatures and bottlenecks while doing it making other functions like flying brake.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Just for info, we own an s1000 with a GH4 (It's problems is another long talk) , an Inspire 1 RAW and then the Spark. We bought the spark because it would help us get footage quickly without having to carry our army with us everytime or in cases the army can't fly in (narrow spaces). We have a lot of projects like our current one that require 1080p/25fps because we also have footage from other sources and also some of them end up in TV Broadcasting. We would get the mavic for this project if we knew that this was the first camera in the world that does 30fps but not 25fps.
2017-7-28
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

MaikR you are a bit confused about the video standards.
For example blueray only burn at 25fps.
Also the 24fps is vey important because is used in all the world for cinematic video productions.
I i know that many have bought Spark to play with selfies and for post some videos on Youtube and socials, but there also many who bought it for theit professional use
I'm not explaining why we want to make a professional use of Spark because the reasons are many but if youl look you will find many explanations about it.
2017-7-28
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

Also the 24fps is vey important because is used in all the world for cinematic video productions.
I i know that many have bought Spark to play with selfies and for post some videos on Youtube and socials, but there also many who bought it for theit professional use
I'm not explaining why we want to make a professional use of Spark because the reasons are many but if youl look you will find many explanations about it.
2017-7-28
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Raz Taz Posted at 2017-7-28 00:45

Sorry, You are right. It is easier to drop 5 or 6 frames than add 5 or 6 frames per second.
Then..... I don't think the Spark may be considered as for Professional Use. But hey..... that's my pov.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

I just talked to telephone support and the answer i got was that i should go ahead and by the mavic because their development team would never inform them about any specific updates they would be releasing. This answer surely came only after i told them that the call was recorded when they were telling me to go get the mavic because the spark is ONLY 30fps and will NOT get updated. I simply explained to them that they were making me spend more money and if they finally released an update to the spark i would seek legal counselling on how to proceed in that case. Then the definitive NO answer became "We don't have an update from the developers if this will be updated. They only tell us they are working on firmware updates but not specifics".

Unfortunately i have to spend more money on something i wouldn't really need if the Spark was not an incomplete product for the PAL markets.
2017-7-28
Use props
Galchanto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101066 ft
Ireland

In Fairness to DJI, it's not sold as a professional drone / camera.. They offer various other very competent models in that arena. Its being marketed as a selfie drone and one that is great fun to fly. A lot of phone cameras don't record in 24/25fps either but that doesn't get the stick that seems to be directed at DJI on this issue. Just my opinion but it seems a little unfair. I've had it for a few weeks and never owned a drone and I think it is a fantastic piece of kit..
2017-7-28
Use props
TheFlyingDutchm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 717336 ft
United States

You could slow down the footage from 30 to 25 fps. Then you will not be skipping frames and unless you are lip syncing you might not even notice the slow down. It might even look nicer! Just a thought while we wait....
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Galchanto Posted at 2017-7-28 01:04
In Fairness to DJI, it's not sold as a professional drone / camera.. They offer various other very competent models in that arena. Its being marketed as a selfie drone and one that is great fun to fly. A lot of phone cameras don't record in 24/25fps either but that doesn't get the stick that seems to be directed at DJI on this issue. Just my opinion but it seems a little unfair. I've had it for a few weeks and never owned a drone and I think it is a fantastic piece of kit..

I do think it's great Galchanto, i 've already mentioned that but that doesn't negate the fact that it should at least record 25fps which is a standard which won't work even for home DVD's. This is why i am not even mentioning 24fps. Also there is a problem with light bulbs that cause flickering at 60hz (NTSC) but again i completely understand that the defense is that home users don't care about any of those mentioned problems but only if there is a gesture to make a selfie. Anyway... We are having a debate for something that shouldn't be an issue in first place.
2017-7-28
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans98566db9 Posted at 2017-7-28 01:02
I just talked to telephone support and the answer i got was that i should go ahead and by the mavic because their development team would never inform them about any specific updates they would be releasing. This answer surely came only after i told them that the call was recorded when they were telling me to go get the mavic because the spark is ONLY 30fps and will NOT get updated. I simply explained to them that they were making me spend more money and if they finally released an update to the spark i would seek legal counselling on how to proceed in that case. Then the definitive NO answer became "We don't have an update from the developers if this will be updated. They only tell us they are working on firmware updates but not specifics".

Unfortunately i have to spend more money on something i wouldn't really need if the Spark was not an incomplete product for the PAL markets.

But unfortunately the Spark does not have what you need (24/25fps) so you have to spend more money
2017-7-28
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans98566db9 Posted at 2017-7-28 01:02

'I would seek legal counselling on how to proceed with that case' - might have made you sound pretty silly. Sorry!

I get your frustrations but it was not as if the video frame rates (or rather lack of more than one) was not published in the spec. So unless you pre ordered before the full specification was published (I'm not sure this was even the case) it really was a case of you not doing your homework and checking that it did what you wanted. I think you need to be a bit more realistic. Understanbly annoyed, but realistic!
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Convert:
I was really silly when i didn't really give much attention to the only 30fps stated on the website. Also the part about legal was in case they make me go buy something else based on the fact that "It won't get update to support 25fps" and then do it. Not because they didn't support it from the beginning. So i don't think this is silly. Please don't make any conclusions and call me whatever before you understand what i'm writing.

MaikR:
Thank you for pointing that out! You are very smart! Go take a selfie now with a gesture and try to make it fly near airports.
2017-7-28
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

TheFlyingDutchm Posted at 2017-7-28 01:11
You could slow down the footage from 30 to 25 fps. Then you will not be skipping frames and unless you are lip syncing you might not even notice the slow down. It might even look nicer! Just a thought while we wait....

Do you talk seriously or are you kidding?
2017-7-28
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans98566db9 Posted at 2017-7-28 01:40
Convert:
I was really silly when i didn't really give much attention to the only 30fps stated on the website. Also the part about legal was in case they make me go buy something else based on the fact that "It won't get update to support 25fps" and then do it. Not because they didn't support it from the beginning. So i don't think this is silly. Please don't make any conclusions and call me whatever before you understand what i'm writing.

I don't want to be rude, but if you think you're the smart one.... go ahead.... The Spark isn't a pro-drone. But no offense and keep on whining.

And do not worry, I know the rules exactly! Won't fly near airport....
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Raz Taz Posted at 2017-7-28 01:38
Do you talk seriously or are you kidding?

Raz he is not kidding. He is finding a solutio where he could at least use some of the footage. It could work in some specific cases. Also he said while we wait meaning he has hope. Aren't we all? I hope i am wrong but i think we will see a new, smaller Mavic  instead before we the update on the spark.
2017-7-28
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

MaikR Posted at 2017-7-28 01:44
I don't want to be rude, but if you think you're the smart one.... go ahead.... The Spark isn't a pro-drone. But no offense and keep on whining.

And do not worry, I know the rules exactly! Won't fly near airport....

Dear MaikR i don't think that someone here want to be rude but your statement that Spark is not a pro-drone is totally meaningless, it depends on the use you make. I make you the example of GoPro cams, it is not professional cameras, but are also used all over the world by professionals to create high-end movie productions.
To make you understand better why many people want to use Spark professionally, I'll explain what's happening in Italy and many other countries. I am a professional videomaker and with a drone like the Spark weighing 300 grams I can shoot videos flying over the cities, over people and in all the quarters where I could not absolutely work with drones weighing more. For drones weighing more than 300gm it would be forbidden to do all I can do with Spark.
Also, for professional use of drones weighing over 300 grams, permits, licenses, medical visits etc. are required. Which are not absolutely necessary with Spark
I understand that you are a low level user interested only in making you selfies for the socials, but before making certain statements you should inform yourself better
2017-7-28
Use props
Galchanto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101066 ft
Ireland

Raz Taz Posted at 2017-7-28 02:33
Dear MaikR i don't think that someone here want to be rude but your statement that Spark is not a pro-drone is totally meaningless, it depends on the use you make. I make you the example of GoPro cams, it is not professional cameras, but are also used all over the world by professionals to create high-end movie productions.
To make you understand better why many people want to use Spark professionally, I'll explain what's happening in Italy and many other countries. I am a professional videomaker and with a drone like the Spark weighing 300 grams I can shoot videos flying over the cities, over people and in all the quarters where I could not absolutely work with drones weighing more. For drones weighing more than 300gm it would be forbidden to do all I can do with Spark.
Also, for professional use of drones weighing over 300 grams, permits, licenses, medical visits etc. are required. Which are not absolutely necessary with Spark

Hi Raz,  I think you are taking people up wrong here.  It's not you can't use the Spark Professionally if that is your choice but that DJI don't market it as a Pro Drone.  Hence if you want to use it for Pro work as it fits in with your country's regulations then that is fine but it is you that needs to accept the limitations of what is being sold as a selfie drone.  The limitations shouldn't be used in the Forum to criticise the company because a 'Selfie' drone doesn't live up to your Professional standards.  That's the point..  PS.  Maybe DJI will include your requirements at a later date in an update and everyone will be happy.  PPS..  Maybe the GoPro example above wasn't a great choice as being not a pro 'on the go' camera as the clue is in the name..  :-)
2017-7-28
Use props
Scotty S
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182884 ft
Australia

I don't really see the big deal either.

I'm in Australia (a PAL country) and I haven't recorded anything with any of my devices in 25fps for the last 5 or so years.

It's either 30 or 60fps.

Sure... if you want to create a PAL DVD @ 25fps you might have some issues, but come on, it's 2017....  I haven't burnt a DVD in about 5 years.

All video projects I do are shared via USB sticks or media servers.

Don't mean to be rude, but why would you buy the Spark when it clearly stated in all the specs that recording was at 1080p/30fps?

Let's be realistic.... the Spark's target audience isn't professionals.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

Scotty S Posted at 2017-7-28 03:40

I'm in Australia (a PAL country) and I haven't recorded anything with any of my devices in 25fps for the last 5 or so years.

I don't doubt that it's not for professionals though it is a great tool that could help us. I already said that some of the footage also go on TV and not online only. I also said that 50hz and 60hz do matter since 60hz is creating flickering with some lights. I am being realistic as my main concern is 25fps which is standard and not 24fps or 60fps or do 4k like others said. I am not arguing about making it do whatever the Mavic or bigger drones do. We do own bigger drones like the inspire 1 raw but it can't help us in many situations  where we need the portability and size of the Spark. We 've spent so much money on DJI products. Some of them work great but others don't do what they are supposed to do. Like the OSMO Raw. It's useless if you need to record audio because even with external audio recorder you get a lot of noise because of the fans. The spark could simply have the NTSC/PAL option. I hope they add it anyway even though i would have to find the extra 1000 to get the mavic, batteries and filters.
2017-7-28
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

Scotty S Posted at 2017-7-28 03:40

Can you explain why all amateur camcorders, including many smarphones, allow you to choose between 25fps and 30pfse and many times even 24fps and instead Spark does not allow it?
Have you ever thought that somebody has a lot of video material shot with other 25fps cameras and wants to put it together with the videos shot with Spark?
Or that videos made with Spark can be transmitted by some TV station?
I think you only make videos for Youtube or other socials
If you use low-level Spark does not mean that everyone else does the same. For example, I do not think that for you is clear why many people even if they are not professionals, they make 24fps video to get a good cinematic effect. If you can not even agree that Spark can be a professional device, I can send you some links of companies that are already working on Spark to make it even lighter and fully fit into the weight standards that are available in all countries And these changes are only made for professionals who can finally use the drone without all the limitations that are for the heaviest drones. Do you think these companies are investing money if there are no professionals who want to use Spark for something more serious than some selfies?

p.s: I bought Pre-Order Spark in China before all technical specifications were made public and I can assure you that this specific information had been thoroughly hidden
2017-7-28
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

Galchanto Posted at 2017-7-28 03:11
Hi Raz,  I think you are taking people up wrong here.  It's not you can't use the Spark Professionally if that is your choice but that DJI don't market it as a Pro Drone.  Hence if you want to use it for Pro work as it fits in with your country's regulations then that is fine but it is you that needs to accept the limitations of what is being sold as a selfie drone.  The limitations shouldn't be used in the Forum to criticise the company because a 'Selfie' drone doesn't live up to your Professional standards.  That's the point..  PS.  Maybe DJI will include your requirements at a later date in an update and everyone will be happy.  PPS..  Maybe the GoPro example above wasn't a great choice as being not a pro 'on the go' camera as the clue is in the name..  :-)

If you only use Spark to get selfies with your gf and put them on Youtube this is your problem. For example, even if you are not a professional you may want to create a Bluray that only accepts 25fps. I'd love to know how you would.
But maybe you're a Dji employee as you defend their commercial choice.
But tell me: do you think the limitation of only 30fps is acceptable?
Maybe you did not understand what we are talking about, 30fps is the standard for Ntsc in the US, all other countries, even yours, use the Pal system that has the 25fps standard. So professional or not, Dji chose to think only of the American market and even though they sell Spark around the world it seems that they do not interest any of the users outside the US.
Tell me your opinion. Is it acceptable a drone that is sold in Europe but which seems destined only to the American market?

Ps: maybe you do not know that the same regulation to fly a drone is also valid in your country, and very soon there will be a European regulation that will set this weight of 300 gr for all European countries, these regulations apply to all users , Not just for professionals. So even for you.
2017-7-28
Use props
roberteb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131417 ft
Nigeria

Assume if you want to use professional, you first read (the for you important) specs before ordering...

Spark Specs on DJI website:  Video Resolution FHD: 1920×1080 30p
2017-7-28
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

I like how this went from "I want 4k!!!" to "I burn to DVD (480i)".

2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

roberteb Posted at 2017-7-28 05:22
Assume if you want to use professional, you first read (the for you important) specs before ordering...

Spark Specs on DJI website:  Video Resolution FHD: 1920×1080 30p

This is not a problem for us who want to use it professionally as you say. It's simple and total disregard of the PAL standard which affects professionals and home users.

Also this should not be something you should go and investigate if it's a typo or even bother checking at all.

I don't really understand why you would not understand that we are talking about a basic function like all other camera devices. Not a professional function. No matter why anyone might use it for.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans98566db9
lvl.1
Greece

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-28 05:26
I like how this went from "I want 4k!!!" to "I burn to DVD (480i)".

I did talk about DVDs OneMatt as an additional example. That's not the actual problem. The problem is that we can't combine what we already have worked for with something that should be there in the first place. We are not asking for upgrades. 4K is a stretch just like 60fps for a drone that barely flies for 12 minutes/battery.
2017-7-28
Use props
Scotty S
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182884 ft
Australia

fans98566db9 Posted at 2017-7-28 04:52
I don't doubt that it's not for professionals though it is a great tool that could help us. I already said that some of the footage also go on TV and not online only. I also said that 50hz and 60hz do matter since 60hz is creating flickering with some lights. I am being realistic as my main concern is 25fps which is standard and not 24fps or 60fps or do 4k like others said. I am not arguing about making it do whatever the Mavic or bigger drones do. We do own bigger drones like the inspire 1 raw but it can't help us in many situations  where we need the portability and size of the Spark. We 've spent so much money on DJI products. Some of them work great but others don't do what they are supposed to do. Like the OSMO Raw. It's useless if you need to record audio because even with external audio recorder you get a lot of noise because of the fans. The spark could simply have the NTSC/PAL option. I hope they add it anyway even though i would have to find the extra 1000 to get the mavic, batteries and filters.

Fair points.  

Well I hope for your needs they do add 25 or even 24fps recording.

I see no reason why they couldn't implement it.  

I understand why 60fps may not be possible but surely a reduction in frame rate would present no problems.
2017-7-28
Use props
Jeff7577
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

This is not an issue in any way.
2017-7-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now