Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 red dots on picture after Update
4272 29 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bluefly
New
  • >>>
United States

After the latest update i am getting thease red and white dots on my photos. I have tried using mutiple different filters thinking it may be the sun. I have even tried the same shot two different days. I dont know what is wrong. It is also having problems staying stable even when near the ground. I have gottten high wind warnings when there is no wind. The PH4 also seems to be drifting when i try to fly in a straight line. When i am flying if i stop and go to move again the PH4 takes off like its in sport mode. I'm assuming this is an overcorrection. I have included an image from the SD card showing the red and white dots. They are not always in the same place so i dont think it is dead pixels.
CDEF84F9008DD6F7FA04104E5D303964_edited.jpg
2017-7-26
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

There is a similar post. They say it's a faulty camera/sensor.
Weird though that you had this after an update.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-104367-1-2.html
2017-7-26
Use props
Bluefly
New
  • >>>
United States

I have had my drone for over a year with no problems. Odd that after an update my camera would suddenly be faulty.
2017-7-26
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bluefly Posted at 2017-7-26 09:35
I have had my drone for over a year with no problems. Odd that after an update my camera would suddenly be faulty.

Probably similar odds to it being hit by an asteroid...
2017-7-26
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-26 11:01
Probably similar odds to it being hit by an asteroid...

Actually that's not that rare.  You're less likely to be hit by lightning.  

OP - these coincidences happen.  It's extremely unlikely that the upgrade damaged your cameras sensor.  Either way - you should definitely follow up with DJI.
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-7-26 11:19

OP - these coincidences happen.  It's extremely unlikely that the upgrade damaged your cameras sensor.  Either way - you should definitely follow up with DJI.

So you get hit by asteroids all the time?  I think I'd consider moving.  That or buy a really beefy umbrella.
2017-7-26
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-7-26 11:19

"You have a better chance of getting hit by a tornado and a bolt of lightning and a hurricane all at the same time," Michael Reynolds, a Florida State College astronomer and author of the book Falling Stars: A Guide to Meteors & Meteorites, previously told National Geographic.
2017-7-27
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

A lot of people are reporting these red dots. Its a firmware issue. Try rolling it back.
2017-7-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

It looks like the camera sensor is faulty, please contact the Support to start a case , send it in for diagnosis and repair.
2017-7-28
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-28 03:03
It looks like the camera sensor is faulty, please contact the Support to start a case , send it in for diagnosis and repair.

So if the sensor is bad and many people report that this issue appeared after they updated to the latest firmware then that would have to mean that the firmware damaged the camera sensor. That seems like a reasonable conclusion to me. My question to you is, what are you going to do about the peoples cameras that your failware damaged that are not under warranty? If updating to the latest firmware damaged their camera's then you owe them a new camera. Ive heard many stories where updating firmware damaged hardware. With that being the case perhaps you should disclose that updated firmware can damage hardware and not to do so if you have no warranty. We all know your not going to repair these peoples hardware that your failware damaged. You seriously need to tell people this. Its quite obvious you dont test your firmware before you release it so you cant honestly say that you know what can happen. I honestly dont see how dji is still in business. Yeah you make great products but EVERYTHING else about DJI is a complete and utter wreck.
2017-7-30
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Have you tried rolling back the firmware? DJI is no longer allowing a firmware rollback with Assistant 2 despite saying that you can before you update but we have another method that everyone is using to rollback. DJI refuses to admit that there is a serious problem with their latest failware despite hundreds, if not thousands of people reporting issues that make the p4 unusable. With no acknowledgement that there is a problem comes no resolution to the problem that dji refuses to address. We had to come up with our own solution and WE, the community, have had to fix this ourselves. Ill be glad to walk you through a rollback if you would like to do so.
2017-7-30
Use props
method007
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-27 04:25
"You have a better chance of getting hit by a tornado and a bolt of lightning and a hurricane all at the same time," Michael Reynolds, a Florida State College astronomer and author of the book Falling Stars: A Guide to Meteors & Meteorites, previously told National Geographic.

Than what?....   Continue the sentence?
2017-8-1
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-1 04:18
Than what?....   Continue the sentence?

Was in a book about asteroids and other space objects.  The sentence was in relation to the chance of being hit by an asteroid.
2017-8-1
Use props
method007
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-8-1 08:37
Was in a book about asteroids and other space objects.  The sentence was in relation to the chance of being hit by an asteroid.

Actually it's specifically in regards to death caused by being hit a meteor.  The odds of being hit by a meteor and the odds of dying after being hit by a meteor are two completely different things.  

Up your google game lol

2017-8-2
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-2 11:44
Actually it's specifically in regards to death caused by being hit a meteor.  The odds of being hit by a meteor and the odds of dying after being hit by a meteor are two completely different things.  

Up your google game lol

Correct...and the odds of being hit by either are tiny compared to other natural events like lightning.  Being killed by one is different, but not the subject of the original post.  The book deals with lots of details relating to various space objects that we might encounter.
2017-8-3
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-8-2 11:44

Up your google game lol

A little additional data:

==============================================

In simplest terms here are the definitions:

Asteroid: a large rocky body in space, in orbit around the Sun.

Meteoroid: much smaller rocks or particles in orbit around the Sun.

Meteor: If a meteoroid enters the Earth’s atmosphere and vaporizes, it becomes a meteor, which is often called a shooting star.

Meteorite: If a small asteroid or large meteoroid survives its fiery passage through the Earth’s atmosphere and lands on Earth’s surface, it is then called a meteorite.
2017-8-3
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The suspicion is that it may be caused by firmware, then perhaps a refresh/factory reset using DJI Assistant 2 may help.

Firmware (written to non volatile memory, as opposed to software written to volatile memory), controls the hardware, so potentially either could be at fault.
2017-8-3
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The original post dealt with red spots that seemed to appear just after an update. The OP seemed to believe the two events were related.  There are many other reports of red spots over the last year or two with similar models.  To me it seemed likely they were related, but DJI or others who get the chance to evaluate the actual hardware will get a better idea.

We get hit by space stuff every day.  Most of it never makes it to the surface of the Earth and burns up first.  Our planet is covered mostly by water (something like 71%).  Of the land portion, actual people density is quite small.  So the cases where stuff makes it down still has pretty tiny odds of actually hitting a person.  There appear to be very few cases of people actually hit by anything from space…asteroids, meteors, space junk, etc.

Some of the objects that do make it to the surface are large and can do significant damage.  The Chicxulub Crater was about 65 million years ago and thought to be a rock 100 miles wide or more. The Tunguska event of 1908 is the most recent large object experience with the Earth…although it was believed to be one that exploded before it reached the ground (believed to be an object of a few hundred feet in size).    The Russian event of 2013 was thought to be about 60 feet and also exploded in mid air.  Big things do hit the Earth, but it’s pretty rare.

As far as lightning goes, being hit is many times more likely (as in 1 followed by a number of zeros).  I am at the beach this week.  Of the 12 people here…one had been hit by lighting some decades ago.  Each year thousands of people are hit by lightning.  Some estimates put the estimate at 200,000+ with deaths in about 10% of the cases.
2017-8-3
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with Aardvark....  although the problem you show would routinely indicate a sensor issue, I see no reason at all as to why this couldn't be introduced by a firmware update.  If you are sure (and have triple-checked) images that you show before the update, and again after the update, you clearly have a firmware issue.  I don't believe (even for a second) that a FW update could damage your hardware, but I absolutely believe that there could be some kind of rendering issue that is showing itself via the firmware.
2017-8-3
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-3 05:30
I agree with Aardvark....  although the problem you show would routinely indicate a sensor issue, I see no reason at all as to why this couldn't be introduced by a firmware update.  If you are sure (and have triple-checked) images that you show before the update, and again after the update, you clearly have a firmware issue.  I don't believe (even for a second) that a FW update could damage your hardware, but I absolutely believe that there could be some kind of rendering issue that is showing itself via the firmware.

Considering the range of odd behavior some have experienced with the update, anything seems like a candidate for firmware related.
2017-8-3
Use props
Bluefly
New
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-27 10:13
A lot of people are reporting these red dots. Its a firmware issue. Try rolling it back.

How? I have downloaded the DJI Assist 2 but it does not have a way to roll back software. Now i was having a problem with the screen glitching that has been fixed after reinstalling the latest firmware however i am still having a problem with the red dots. Any help would be appreciated.
2017-8-11
Use props
Bluefly
New
  • >>>
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-30 09:27
Have you tried rolling back the firmware? DJI is no longer allowing a firmware rollback with Assistant 2 despite saying that you can before you update but we have another method that everyone is using to rollback. DJI refuses to admit that there is a serious problem with their latest failware despite hundreds, if not thousands of people reporting issues that make the p4 unusable. With no acknowledgement that there is a problem comes no resolution to the problem that dji refuses to address. We had to come up with our own solution and WE, the community, have had to fix this ourselves. Ill be glad to walk you through a rollback if you would like to do so.

Yes! Please
2017-8-11
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Goto the phantompilots forum and look in the p4 section for a thread on rolling back the firmware. All the files and detailed instructions will be they're. DJI just delets the post if we discuss it here. The forum wont even let you post the name of the app as if it were profanity. DJI doesnt want anyone rolling back their failware because you would know that its not a hardware issue and they are making a ton of money from people sending in their drones for repair that arent actually broken. They are telling everyone that contacts support that they have a hardware issue and that the firmware is just fine despite the fact that we have proven the hardware is fine. As soon as we proved that the firmware is the problem they deleted any post regarding firmware rollback. They are charging $250 a drone to reinstall firmware. That, in my opinion, is why the p4 is the most effected model. Most p4's are out of warranty. Ill see if I can find the link to the phantom pilots forum. Please post your results back here so everyone else can see if your problem is resolved.
support 6.png
2017-8-11
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

PM sent.......
2017-8-11
Use props
fans04bbbf0a
Flight distance : 666047 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I replace sensor and dont solve... next step i will replace internal video board...
2019-7-10
Use props
dedobbs
United States

I have just had the exact same issue along with flight issues but not after a  firmware update, did you ever find the cause?
2019-8-5
Use props
vsantanamachin
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

In the DJI Go 4 app turn off Histogram and Overexpossure settings in the video/camera control settings
2019-8-5
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

I haven't updated firmware in over a year. There's simply no need unless you're experiencing an issue related to a bad firmware. People seem to think updating firmware is always a magical benefit. Often, it is not.
2019-8-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

vsantanamachin Posted at 8-5 10:11
In the DJI Go 4 app turn off Histogram and Overexpossure settings in the video/camera control settings

That will not cure the problem, there is a fault in the camera sensor, it needs to be sent to a DJI repair facility to be fixed.
2019-8-5
Use props
sedeco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8060653 ft
  • >>>
Egypt

hi  all  if you turn   from video recording  to picture recording   and no see this  red  dot asking me
thanks
2019-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules