Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery exploded
123Next >
9537 84 2017-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

Has this happened to anyone? What was your outcome?

I alway drain before storing and followed precautions but one of my batteries exploded. Tried contacting DJI for a replacement but it's been past their six months warranty period and their customer service has been horrid. Plenty of of being passed around, dodging issues, and false promises from their reprsentives. Went through four reps, two supervisors, and expecting a call back from a manager apparently today. For the amount of money paid for just the battery it shouldn't just explode before even a year.

Would love to know if anyone else has experienced a bettery exploding and how DJI handed it. Or if there's anything else I should do.
2017-7-26
Use props
Tmygun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

What were the conditions of the explosion?
Were you charging the battery?
You should not "drain" a LiPo battery totally....the optimal storage condition is @ 60-65% charge.  This is all in the manual for the particular craft you have.
Never heard of a battery exploding unless it was punctured or damaged in some way.
Can you give more detail on the situation please?
2017-7-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Never heard of a DJI battery going out of control... That's unusual.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-26
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Heard of one blowing up on an airplane with an Inspire 1 a few years back.

2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Let's have some pics of the aftermath!  Please make sure the DJI logo is clearly visible in the photos.  Companies really appreciate that added touch when the incriminating evidence is plastered all over the 'net.
2017-7-26
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 12:23
Let's have some pics of the aftermath!  Please make sure the DJI logo is clearly visible in the photos.  Companies really appreciate that added touch when the incriminating evidence is plastered all over the 'net.

I wouldnt spread it around to much. Next well be banned from commercial air travel. Could you imagine having to buy a battery for every location you have to take a plane to. I dont understand why they dont have like a fire box on planes to store large li-po's in or least something you can quickly toss it into in case something did happen. A hermetically sealed bag or something that keeps air and moisture out would be great for traveling. If I ever have to travel with large lipos i think ill vacuum seal them in bags.
2017-7-26
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, like they said, a picture is worth a thousand words. Especially with a DJI logo on it.
2017-7-26
Use props
microlinux
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

I feel like there is some information missing here.
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-26 12:48
I wouldnt spread it around to much. Next well be banned from commercial air travel. Could you imagine having to buy a battery for every location you have to take a plane to. I dont understand why they dont have like a fire box on planes to store large li-po's in or least something you can quickly toss it into in case something did happen. A hermetically sealed bag or something that keeps air and moisture out would be great for traveling. If I ever have to travel with large lipos i think ill vacuum seal them in bags.

They do have something they can toss a battery into when something happens:  Dump some icewater into the galley sink and toss the offending battery in there.  Also the galley oven can tolerate a lot of heat, because well, that's what ovens do.  But sticking a battery in the oven won't stop the thermal runaway of course.

If you're on a 787 you don't have to take any additional steps because flaming batteries are normal on that aircraft.
2017-7-26
Use props
george_007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-26 12:48

"A hermetically sealed bag or something that keeps air and moisture out would be great for traveling."

You mean something like these? :-)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batt ... html?___store=en_us
2017-7-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Hmmmm    Samsung has company
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

george_007 Posted at 2017-7-26 14:10
"A hermetically sealed bag or something that keeps air and moisture out would be great for traveling."

You mean something like these? :-)

I got the impression he was talking about vacuum sealing his batteries in plastic bags.  Which would be absolutely pointless.  Well it might help if your trip is on a cruise ship that capsizes because the drunk captain is busy entertaining young ladies instead of avoiding rocks.  But if that happens you have worse problems to deal with than ruined batteries.
2017-7-26
Use props
Adam Flurk
First Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-7-26 13:10
I feel like there is some information missing here.

I agree.... Something is surely missing. Pictures would be helpful as well. Never heard of a battery just "exploding"... Maybe after an accident, a hard drop, or excessive heat.. But out of nowhere? hmm
2017-7-26
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 14:22
I got the impression he was talking about vacuum sealing his batteries in plastic bags.  Which would be absolutely pointless.  Well it might help if your trip is on a cruise ship that capsizes because the drunk captain is busy entertaining young ladies instead of avoiding rocks.  But if that happens you have worse problems to deal with than ruined batteries.

Do you understand what makes the batteries have the reaction that they have? Air and moisture. When the battery is punctured or splits it reacts with oxygen and moisture in the air. The catalyst is the air and moisture that sets off the reaction so yeah, vacuume sealed bags would most certainly help to prevent that. http://www.propwashed.com/how-lipo-batteries-explode/
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-7-26 15:30
Do you understand what makes the batteries have the reaction that they have? Air and moisture. When the battery is punctured or splits it reacts with oxygen and moisture in the air. The catalyst is the air and moisture that sets off the reaction so yeah, vacuume sealed bags would most certainly help to prevent that. http://www.propwashed.com/how-lipo-batteries-explode/

Whatever object it is that punctures your battery in transit is also going to puncture your plastic vacuum bag.  A spontaneous split under pressure (if that's where you're going with this) would also tear open your bag if vacuum sealed.  Does not compute for me.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

Sorry I thought I uploaded the photo when I posted. I'm on mobile

Circumstanes were that I looked at it on the shelf one day and it was fine and looked at it a few days later and it seemed to have exploded for no reason.

Also I don't drain it completely. I meant that I don't store it at 100%
IMG_9343.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

In the 2nd photo, above the release button, I see at least one deep gash that could not have been caused by the explosion.  What happened to this battery to cause that damage?
Untitled.jpg
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

I stored it In a locked room on a shelf with my other DJI equipment. So you can imagine my surprise when I looked at it and saw it in that condition.

Never crashed my drone or put it through anything crazy.

Dealing with their customer service has truly been a frustrating experience especially considering the loyalty that I had for the company after buying several of their products and spending hard earn money on them. I couldn't imagine if it happened to me on a plane. It would had been an absolute sh*tshow if it did.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 15:49
In the 2nd photo, above the release button, I see at least one deep gash that could not have been caused by the explosion.  What happened to this battery to cause that damage?

I never dropped it or crashed my drone. It was completely fine before. Here's a close up of the split you're asking about. If I had to guess it happened when the battery exploded and melted and split the outer part.
image.jpg
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

Tmygun Posted at 2017-7-26 10:54
What were the conditions of the explosion?
Were you charging the battery?
You should not "drain" a LiPo battery totally....the optimal storage condition is @ 60-65% charge.  This is all in the manual for the particular craft you have.

details and photos ^
2017-7-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 13:24
They do have something they can toss a battery into when something happens:  Dump some icewater into the galley sink and toss the offending battery in there.  Also the galley oven can tolerate a lot of heat, because well, that's what ovens do.  But sticking a battery in the oven won't stop the thermal runaway of course.

If you're on a 787 you don't have to take any additional steps because flaming batteries are normal on that aircraft.

'They do have something they can toss a battery into when something happens:  Dump some icewater into the galley sink and toss the offending battery in there. '

You might want to read up on the reaction between lithium compounds and water. It can cause intense reaction, and make the situation worse.
2017-7-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Your issue of an 'exploding' battery is quite unusual, but the warranty situation is quite clear, it covers the battery for 6 months. If you are outside that 6 month period, then it is not under warranty. And this is pretty common for most batteries.
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-26 16:13
'They do have something they can toss a battery into when something happens:  Dump some icewater into the galley sink and toss the offending battery in there. '

You might want to read up on the reaction between lithium compounds and water. It can cause intense reaction, and make the situation worse.

You might want to read up yourself, and then let the FAA know that they're giving out misinformation if that turns out to be the case.  The goal here is to prevent thermal runaway of the other cells.  The damaged cell is already on fire.

FAA video:

2017-7-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I think DJI would be interested.  Galaxy batteries cost Samsung untold millions.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-26 16:19
Your issue of an 'exploding' battery is quite unusual, but the warranty situation is quite clear, it covers the battery for 6 months. If you are outside that 6 month period, then it is not under warranty. And this is pretty common for most batteries.

I understand the past warranty situation if it was dropped or crashed and it was my fault. But that's not the situation.

A battery shouldn't just explode on it's own before or after warranty no matter how many days.

Quality assurance would have been nice for something so pricey.  Instead. it was placed in the store and sold for $$$$ with what I assume is a defect and resulted in a dangerous situation.

I just so happen to grab the battery that was going to explode a few months later.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-7-26 16:25
I think DJI would be interested.  Galaxy batteries cost Samsung untold millions.

I've been in contacted with  DJI reps for several weeks. They are aware of my case but they keep hiding behind their 6 months warranty policy. Their last suggestion to me was:

"Mam I personally believe  your last option  is to purchase  another battery and go over our after-sales service policy."

They want me to pay for another pricey battery and hope that it doesn't explode after six months while refreshing myself on their policies.
2017-7-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 16:23
You might want to read up yourself, and then let the FAA know that they're giving out misinformation if that turns out to be the case.  The goal here is to prevent thermal runaway of the other cells.  The damaged cell is already on fire.

FAA video:

Well, it does not mean that the FAA is right, have a look at this item: http://spectrumfx.net/blog/lithium-battery-fires-why-not-water
2017-7-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jessengu Posted at 2017-7-26 16:44
I've been in contacted with  DJI reps for several weeks. They are aware of my case but they keep hiding behind their 6 months warranty policy. Their last suggestion to me was:

"Mam I personally believe  your last option  is to purchase  another battery and go over our after-sales service policy."

'They want me to pay for another pricey battery and hope that it doesn't explode after six months while refreshing myself on their policies.'

An exploding DJI battery is quite rare, I do not recall anyone else reporting one here, but there may have been. I would quite confidently buy another.

And while the 6 months warranty is quite explicit, a DJI rep may answer this and offer a discretionary discount.
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Yes, Jessengu, a DJI rep may indeed offer a discretionary discount.  Like a 100% discount, and that's what I'd hold out for.  Especially after you post this image everywhere you can.

I would not at all be surprised if you receive a PM in the next 24 hours.  Between the P4 failware and the Sparks falling out of the sky left and right, DJI doesn't need any more bad press this month.

Otherwise, take them to the cleaners!  I'm sure you left out the part of the story where your baby puppy was near the battery when it exploded and sustained massive injuries.  I'm sure you left this out just to save us all from the gore, you understand.  You might want to contact an attorney.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-26 16:56
'They want me to pay for another pricey battery and hope that it doesn't explode after six months while refreshing myself on their policies.'

An exploding DJI battery is quite rare, I do not recall anyone else reporting one here, but there may have been. I would quite confidently buy another.

I feel like I shouldn't have to put out the money to  buy another battery seeing as it was manufactured with a defect and exploded. It sucks that I just so happened to pick the battery that would explode and not the one behind it at the store.

Sadly, throughout my several conversations with DJI between several employees of different ranks I have never been offered a discount because even that would show that they at least understand my situation.
2017-7-26
Use props
Irate Retro
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-26 16:53
Well, it does not mean that the FAA is right, have a look at this item: http://spectrumfx.net/blog/lithium-battery-fires-why-not-water

Certainly.  As a licensed full-scale pilot I'm definitely used to the FAA screwing things up once in a while.  (Although in all fairness to them, they're usually more guilty of dragging their feet than doing the wrong thing in haste.)

Here's the thing, though:  This is what all flight attendants you encounter (here) are going to be trained to do.  If you do what they are expecting, everyone is happy.  If you do something contrary to their training, you might have a situation on your hands.  A situation like a flight attendant sat upon you and your battery dunked anyway.  In the 80's I wouldn't have minded a FA sat upon me.  Now though, well I'll just stay politically correct and say that I wouldn't enjoy it so much.  Things have changed.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 17:13
Yes, Jessengu, a DJI rep may indeed offer a discretionary discount.  Like a 100% discount, and that's what I'd hold out for.  Especially after you post this image everywhere you can.

I would not at all be surprised if you receive a PM in the next 24 hours.  Between the P4 failware and the Sparks falling out of the sky left and right, DJI doesn't need any more bad press this month.

I wish I was offered ATLEAST a discount. I'm completely heartbroken after dealing with so many DJI reps and their response to my case as I really did love their products and trusted them to perform safety.  I never imagined that  a DJI battery would just explode. But the main punch  for me was DJI  repeatly finding any reason to disregard my case and shut me up. I had no idea their customer service was this bad. For such a huge well known company it's absurd.

What would be the steps for obtaining a lawyer as you suggested?
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jessengu, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are so sorry for what happened to the battery.
We care much about your issue and will report to the supervisor for further analysis and resolution. Please provide the following information at your most convenience:
1. Serial number of battery and the aircraft;
2. The proof of purchase of battery or the picture of its packing box if you have;
3. Have the drone/battery ever been crashed or fell or water-damaged?
4. Did the battery experience alternate cooling and heating?
5. Was there any error message in APP during flight?
6. What's the charging temperature?
7. How long have you been stored the battery in your storage room?
8. What's the battery level before storage?

Besides, please PM me your name, contact number, email address and location. Really appreciate your time.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-26 18:41
Jessengu, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are so sorry for what happened to the battery.
We care much about your issue and will report to the supervisor for further analysis and resolution. Please provide the following information at your most convenience:
1. Serial number of battery and the aircraft;

Hello Mindy,

Thanks for reaching out. My case was looked at by two DJI supervisors and one DJI manager who stated that he was the "highest ranked DJI employee that a consumer would be able to reach." I also spoke to three other DJI reps as well.

However, I don't mind another opinion and I appreciate another chance. I'll PM you answers to all the listed questions promptly.
2017-7-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 17:23
Certainly.  As a licensed full-scale pilot I'm definitely used to the FAA screwing things up once in a while.  (Although in all fairness to them, they're usually more guilty of dragging their feet than doing the wrong thing in haste.)

Here's the thing, though:  This is what all flight attendants you encounter (here) are going to be trained to do.  If you do what they are expecting, everyone is happy.  If you do something contrary to their training, you might have a situation on your hands.  A situation like a flight attendant sat upon you and your battery dunked anyway.  In the 80's I wouldn't have minded a FA sat upon me.  Now though, well I'll just stay politically correct and say that I wouldn't enjoy it so much.  Things have changed.

That's fine, but the US and the FAA are not all of the world, and hopefully in other parts of the world they will be better advised by someone who pays attention to basic chemistry, that says water and lithium don't mix well.
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jessengu Posted at 2017-7-26 18:56
Hello Mindy,

Thanks for reaching out. My case was looked at by two DJI supervisors and one DJI manager who stated that he was the "highest ranked DJI employee that a consumer would be able to reach." I also spoke to three other DJI reps as well.

Thanks, I have responded your PM, please check.
2017-7-26
Use props
Jessengu
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-26 20:29
Thanks, I have responded your PM, please check.

It was stored for less than a week before exploding.
2017-7-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jessengu Posted at 2017-7-26 18:56
Hello Mindy,

Aloha Jesse,

The important part is going to be the battery serial number.  Make sure you get that number right.  There are numerous sources of counterfeit DJI batteries.  Please be prepared to deal with that contingency.  If DJI says the battery is counterfeit, be sure to take that information to the store where you got the battery.  The store will have to deal with you and DJI then.  That will be much better than you having to deal with the store alone.  Just a suggestion.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Irate Retro Posted at 2017-7-26 17:23

Aloha Retro,

See what I wrote to Geebax in post #39.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-26 19:02
That's fine, but the US and the FAA are not all of the world, and hopefully in other parts of the world they will be better advised by someone who pays attention to basic chemistry, that says water and lithium don't mix well.

Aloha Geebax,

Actually both articles point out the problem with lithium, water and hydrogen.  The FAA video recommends putting the fire out with the Halon extinguisher and then using water to cool the battery cell so it does not ignite an adjacent cell.  The Halon extinguisher cannot cool the battery but water can.  But, this is to the point that you should not use ice or crushed ice because you then get the igloo effect of insulating the heat and blowing the next cell anyway.  Then you are back to square 1 again.

My take on the second video was their comment about not using water to cool the battery was to sell their type of extinguisher.  Both videos are right but water is a commercial basketball in the second one.  The FAA is saying to use enough water to cool the battery once the fire is already out.  The second video is saying if you do not cool the battery enough (like the FAA is saying you should do), then you could get a reignition of the fire.  This is true, but if you look at the FAA video, they use an awful lot of water!  Now I know why.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules