Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying in Atti mode
5596 28 2015-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.3

Malta

What are tge advantages of flying in Atti mode?

My next flight would be my 7th and im getting more and more comfortable flying..   If i fly in Atti mode, what do I gain and what are the pitfalls?

One thing I dontlike about Gps mode is that is a bit hard to get smooth curved vid shots because it is so sensitive to my touch on tyhe sticks.  I guess practice makes perfect but was wandering if flying in atti mode could help this?
2015-3-23
Use props
m.friedl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
Austria

Atti keeps the Drone in same Altitude as set before.

In Attimode the Drone gets faster flying with the Wind.

Pitfalls are only loss of Position if you leav your Flightcontroler untouched.

If you are Handsome with your Phantom you can try more and more.

Would reccomend a Flightsimulator and try here before you are Outside !

Atti-Mode is also nice while taking Fotos because of smoothness

Cheers Mike
2015-3-23
Use props
bradreid20
lvl.3
Canada

The big advantage is you will be able to do it   There will be a day when your phantom drops from GPS to ATTI and you'll need to get it back.
2015-3-23
Use props
godfrey.dayo
lvl.1

China

In addition to what the others have said, if the wind is blowing in the right direction and speed, you can let the phantom just ride it in ATTI Mode. Allows for smoother videos.
2015-3-23
Use props
rdc4444
lvl.3

United States

It flies faster and turns sharper in attitude mode. I  really notice a difference with my phantom 1 with the 9450 props as it really hauls ass and is very agile in atti mode. The disadvantage is it is hard on the battery and could possibly shorten the life of the battery and shortens flight time if you push it hard for an extended period of time. I really don't find atti mode any more difficult to fly compared to gps mode. One Warning  is that you can lose altitude if flying fast so keep an eye on your altitude if you are doing speed runs. I clipped a top of a tree while running my phantom fc 40 in atti mode while flying at night because I had lost altitude and didnt realize it because I had no telemetry data.
2015-3-23
Use props
HermosaDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

you have to control it or be ready to at all times.  
2015-3-23
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.3

Malta

Ok..   Is the switch from GPS to Atti and vice versa instant?   Say I am in Atti and feel uncomfortable and switch back to GPS, does it kick in straight away?
2015-3-24
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

When people say it rides the wind, that is not exactly true.  What happens in ATTI is if you push the stick to go right, when you let go of the stick it will continue to go right with momentum until it crashes into something or you give it a new directional command and if it happens to be the same direction as the wind, your quad will glide farther with the wind.
2015-3-24
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

adrianmizzi1983 Posted at 2015-3-24 17:17
Ok..   Is the switch from GPS to Atti and vice versa instant?   Say I am in Atti and feel uncomforta ...

Yes.  It is instantaneous.
2015-3-24
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

My experience of flying in ATTI is that it will stop if I let go of the stick, not continuing to fly in the direction it was traveling.
As soon as I let go of the stick the phantom levels out and hovers, it does not stop dead like it does in GPS mode, but it does not keep going by itself.
If its windy, then it will drift with the wind.
2015-3-24
Use props
JATO
Second Officer

United States

Personally I like ATTI mode, it makes flying more fun.
2015-3-24
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.3

Malta

My aim is to get smoother curve shots instead of seeing visible adjustments on the sticks in my vids...  Not sure how to describe it..  I think u know what i mean..

Whats the result if you let go of the controller in atti?  Just sideways drift?
2015-3-24
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

atti holds attitude (orientation/facing and tilt/level).  it does NOT hold position.  what this means is that anything that adds sideways momentum (wind, natural variation in craft aerodynamics, etc) will be experienced and it will not 'sit still or return to position'.  it wont smooth anything out, in fact, atti is likely going to amplify the situation you are describing because it flies snappier (you get more power and speed in atti versus gpd mode).

and to the comment above about it 'continuing to fly' when you let go of sticks.  while that isnt true, it isnt false either.  it wont keep flying in that direction 'like you have the stick down in that direction', it will continue to fly in that direction due to the momentum it gained.  so, for example, in ZERO WIND conditions, if you fly FULL SPEED north and let go of the sticks, your craft will level out and it will continue north for several feet or more just due to momentum.  my sense is that was what was described above that john disagreed with.  and while i get john's point, i also see mine continuing so i just dont think their points are exactly contrary.
2015-3-24
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
United Kingdom

I disagreed with it continuing to fly away when letting go of the sticks, well mine does not do that anyway.
As I said it does not stop dead, but as you say it will stop in a few feet.
I fly NAZA and ATTI most of the time, flipping to GPS hold when taking photos.
I only fly ATTI in low winds, using GPS mode for anything over 10mph.
In strong winds ATTI will give you a lot to think about, but it makes good practice and trying to hold position will improve your flying skills.
2015-3-24
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

yes john but if you are going 35mph and let go of sticks, your phantom will move more than a few feet after that, thats all i was getting at.  and no, it wont j ust 'keep going in that direction until you give it other commands' the way he was implying.  of course unless the wind is also going in that direction LOL
2015-3-24
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
United Kingdom

Being of a certain age, I have never been over 35mph, not even on a motorway......
2015-3-24
Use props
adrianmizzi1983
lvl.3

Malta

Hehe.  Ok thanks for your help guys.   Me next flights i will try atti and see which i prefer.  I am starting to think that what i am after will come from mastering how much pressure i put on the sticks and how good i am and releasing pressure gently rather then choosing between gps and atti.  So practice practice practice
2015-3-24
Use props
nrgwise
First Officer

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-24 20:29
My experience of flying in ATTI is that it will stop if I let go of the stick, not continuing to fly ...

That can't happen as GPS is no longer active in the flight parameters.  Are you sure you are in ATTI mode? Without GPS it will continue in the direction of momentum.  This is fact.
2015-3-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-26 09:37
That can't happen as GPS is no longer active in the flight parameters.  Are you sure you are in ATT ...

nrg, he actually said that if the wind were blowing it would continue to drift..
2015-3-25
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

not true nrg... in an academic sense, with no air resistance and no prop wash it would certainly continue with momentum.  but this thing is designed to 'stay in one place' (not from a gps sense from a stability sense, the angles of the craft, motors, everything).  if it werent then even in gps mode (which is only good for a meter or so at best) it would constantly be drifting around and correcting and that correction causing drift in another direction until gps kicks in, it would be like a pinball in space bouncing around in a tiny little 1m square box.  and it doesnt, because it is designed to, without gps, stay fairly static.

so what does this mean?  if you went 35mph and let go of sticks (assume no wind as everyone agrees that will blow it in atti) it would continue a fair distance b/c of the speed it was going, but it would gradually slow down and settle in a spot becuase of the air resistance, the prop wash angles and the design of the craft.  

but drifting some is normal in atti just like flying small quads.  but that certainly doesnt qualify as "...until it crashes into something or you give it a new directional command..." as you stated above.  it is more like, yes it continues, but it isnt flying away, it will drift a bit here and there depending upon how you are flying and wind but you correct it.  its not heading off to crash on you because of momentum that it naturally is designed to counteract.
2015-3-25
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain
United States

I think I'm with g on this one... It's all about Inertia here isn't it (ATTI Mode)? It will continue in motion until enough drag (air/wind) slows it down. Thus, the faster you are going, the farther it will sail. On the flip side, if you want it to just hover, and there is not ANY wind, it should just hover (maintaining altitude). Introduce ANY wind, and the aircraft will start floating due to the force of the wind. This is how I've always though of it anyway. Please let me know if I'm off base!
As for shooting video, I think it can make for a very nice smooth shot. GPS really helps for photos and can for video, but sometimes that natural drift really helps.

Barney
2015-3-25
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

ATTI mode is like cruising in your car and putting the shifter in neutral, it will eventually coast to a stop with no wind.  Wind will slow it down faster if you are going into the wind as you are flying and coast farther if you are flying with the wind.
2015-3-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-3-26 11:50
I think I'm with g on this one... It's all about Inertia here isn't it (ATTI Mode)? It will continue ...

Barney,
I think you and gnixon hit home plate with this,
Another way I would describe it is if you were doing 30 mph in your car, put it in Neutral, slammed your brakes, assume you stopped for one iota with the ass end of the car in the air, let the brakes of the car off at that praise second, the car would still move forward (if in Neutral/ATTI) environment notwithstanding as it would still have some forward momentum pent up.
2015-3-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-26 11:54
ATTI mode is like cruising in your car and putting the shifter in neutral, it will eventually coast  ...

That was wierd, why are we thinking about cars?
2015-3-25
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-26 11:58
That was wierd, why are we thinking about cars?

Just a reference to the way it operates.  GPS is like brakes,  release the stick and GPS is applied to stop it.  
ATTi you don't have brakes to stop it, just neutral to coast to a stop with no wind, and I miss my 68 corvette.
2015-3-25
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

i think the car analogy is solid.  i think of wind like a hill.  on a hill, your car wont stop rolling in neutral.  in wind, your atti quad wont stop either.  

however, on a perfectly flat surface, your car would not go on forever until it crashed or you stopped it if you got it rolling with a push.  if you were going 5mph, it would stop in a few feet.  10mph, maybe a few yards, etc.  it is the same way with the quad where wind resistance and drag is the equivalent of the tire/road friction and it will eventually slow down and settle.
that is, at least, how i took john's comments.  but i just was pointing out that there is some momentum to overcome in atti mode that it will autofight in gps mode.  just not to the point of 'its flying away and crashing' as suggested.
2015-3-25
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-26 12:09
i think the car analogy is solid.  i think of wind like a hill.  on a hill, your car wont stop rolli ...

Right, if you really wanted a thrill, go to Florida and stand on top of the highest building during a hurricane with a parachute and then pull the rip cord.     YEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWWWW
2015-3-25
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
United Kingdom

Well I can only give you my personal experience, and my phantom in ATTI will stop (no wind) within a few feet.
Once I let go of the stick the phantom instantly levels out, it does not hold its angle of attack, so will not continue onwards forever , but come to a halt quite quickly.
I guess I have a very special phantom.....
2015-3-25
Use props
gnixon2015
First Officer

United States

john, sure it levels out, what im talking about isnt about angle of attack.  if it held any sort of angle, then it would go on forever like he suggested.  but once it flattens out, only drag and a balanced design keeps it still, nothing else.  it has no way to know where it is w/o gps.  

i tested this by finding low altitude windless spot and going up to it and shoving it while hovering in atti mode.  if i shove it a little, it moves a foot or so and stops.  if i shove it A BUNCH, it moves quite a bit more than when i shoved it a little.  as i said, it still comes to a stop, but you can tell that stop is due to a balanced (natural) tendency to fly level and still and not it 'trying' to stay in one place from a coordinate perspective.

what that proves is that the distance travelled in atti after sticks are let go is directly proportional to the speed it was going when you let go.  faster means farther.  even if farther is only a few feet farther, it is still moving due to momentum.  but certainly it doesnt 'go on and crash unless you give it some other directional control' which was the original suggestion above.
2015-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules