3193 28 2017-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What I'm trying to do here is ascertain whether the method of craft firmware update for the latest P4 release had any impact on the success. Many have stated that their P4 afterwards flys well, whereas others have referenced multiple issues subsequently, including 'jerking' and 'aggressive flight'. Many are moving to the view that the firmware is sound, although the download and installation mechanism may have introduced driver corruption at some point.

Note that I'm seeking to capture method of craft update, and not the RC, as that's where the issues are most commonly.

So, 'successful installation' is where your P4 is flying OK with all modes working to spec, and 'unsuccessful installation' is where your P4 now seems to be possessed by evil spirits to varying degrees.

Single SelectVote, Total 86 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

6.98% (6)
13.95% (12)
12.79% (11)
5.81% (5)
26.74% (23)
17.44% (15)
16.28% (14)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-7-27
Use props
Dark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154954 ft
United States

What about 7) Update not performed
2017-7-27
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

I actually tried DJI Assistant first and then again with the DJI Go4 app. Both completed the update but both had flight problems. Perhaps we need an option for "both"
2017-7-27
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Dark Posted at 2017-7-27 19:04
What about 7) Update not performed

That option isn't relevant for the intent of the survey. The intent is not to find out how many upgraded or didn't, but if you did was there a common denominator to why it did or didn't 'take'.
2017-7-27
Use props
dirk1465
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87713 ft
Germany

Unsuccessful update (issues): Assistant 2 using PC
2017-7-27
Use props
dirk1465
lvl.1
Germany

Since the update of the P4 over PC, unstable and aggressive
2017-7-27
Use props
Pakawan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7264 ft
Thailand

5.  Unsuccessful update (issues): Assistant 2 using PC

(100% successful update firmware v02.00.0106, Aircraft using Assistant 2 over PC, RC using DJI Go 4.1.3 Android, 100% successful calibrate VPS, IMU and compass.
Unstable, Shaking, Aggressive, Wobbly)

Add:
(http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com/)
Your Phantom 4 (07DJDCEOCXXXXX) was manufactured on Wednesday, December, 14th 2016
I bought it on December, 28th 2016
2017-7-27
Use props
dirk1465
lvl.1
Germany

copy and paste

(100% successful update firmware v02.00.0106, Aircraft using Assistant 2 over PC, RC using DJI Go 4.1.3 Android, 100% successful calibrate VPS, IMU and compass.

P4 ser. 07ddd68

RC Modell  GL300C
2017-7-27
Use props
1HPC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1307700 ft
Denmark

(100% successful update firmware v02.00.0106, Aircraft using Assistant 2 over PC, RC using DJI Go 4.1.3  , ipad mini 4, 100% successful calibrate VPS, IMU and compass.

P 4 Ser. 07DDD5R
2017-7-28
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I updated the controller using DJI Go 4, but I chose to upgrade the craft using my PC.   I've always preferred using DJI Assistant 2.  I've done two previous upgrades this way.

I tried three times with DJI Assistant 2 on my PC,   Each time, it would successfully download the firmware, then immediately fail when the update routine started.   I went back to DJI Go and the firmware update went OK.

Just to add... I've had no problems flying since the upgrade, but I do get frequent and very annoying 'wind warnings' on just about every flight.

2017-7-28
Use props
AerialImageryMe
lvl.2
United States

jwt-873 Posted at 2017-7-28 03:51
I updated the controller using DJI Go 4, but I chose to upgrade the craft using my PC.   I've always preferred using DJI Assistant 2.  I've done two previous upgrades this way.

I tried three times with DJI Assistant 2 on my PC,   Each time, it would successfully download the firmware, then immediately fail when the update routine started.   I went back to DJI Go and the firmware update went OK.

#5) with a BUT.....P4 updated with Assistant 2 PC, controller updated with GO4. However, I did a factory refresh after all the stability issues and then updated P4 with GO4, so I don't believe it to be a platform issue, unless my PC messed it up completely the first time. If so, than what good is a "factory refresh".
2017-7-28
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-27 19:26
That option isn't relevant for the intent of the survey. The intent is not to find out how many upgraded or didn't, but if you did was there a common denominator to why it did or didn't 'take'.

I'd like the option to add Update not performed. Possible irrelevant info for the survey, but I'd at least be able to view the results from others who have tried to update.
2017-7-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-7-28 14:17
I'd like the option to add Update not performed. Possible irrelevant info for the survey, but I'd at least be able to view the results from others who have tried to update.

Ok, not the intent of the survey, but that's two requests so I've added it... :-)
2017-7-28
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft
Australia

New Firmware has completely stuffed my P4 many attempts at reinstalling it have failed,having to deal with Google is half the problem! Having to play store is problem my unit is still grounded since this new firmware was installed! Not Happy
2017-7-28
Use props
P4Mano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33990 ft
Spain

unstable,/shaking,/aggressive/wobbly
2017-7-28
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-28 16:05
Ok, not the intent of the survey, but that's two requests so I've added it... :-)

Thanks!
2017-7-29
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-7-29
Use props
fans7f228480
lvl.2
Flight distance : 995259 ft
United Kingdom

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-29 14:01
Would anyone that has had a positive experience with the new firmware (100% confident that their bird is behaving as it should) mind backing up their firmware using DUMLdore (it really is  painless) and sharing it with me? We'd like to take a closer look at it and see if we can't replicate your success for the rest of the community!

Yes the people that are telling us that they have a a updated version of the firmware that works, we would love to see this version and try it on our Birds.
I updated using the DGI Go App, it completed and I took her out for a flight test.
Results = In forward flight with right stick full forward, she would fly great then slow down and then speed up and slow down again, very jerky, like I was taking my finger off the stick when I was not.
Flying up and down was the same would increase and decrease speed while I was full stick up or down.
RTH would work till it was above me and I pressed the Red X on the screen to take control back of the bird, this failed, had to push the throttle stick up and down to get control back.
Have not tried any of the flight modes as I do not trust the latest firmware update, so have reverted back to version 01.02.0602 will give this a full flight test and return with my findings, Regards TJK.
2017-7-30
Use props
fans7f228480
lvl.2
Flight distance : 995259 ft
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-7-30
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

100 percent less frequent high wind warning using DJI assist for aircraft and Go with iOS for RC. I did format SD card prior to upgrade.
2017-7-30
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I used DJI GO first. And got the 90% stuck problem. So just did it again in assistant on Mac just to be sure. Calibrated IMU and RC. Checked all my settings in GO APP. And then flew with no problems at all.
2017-7-30
Use props
Flyin Ryan 420
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2097713 ft
United States

Do you know if anyone with stable firmware has uploaded it using  and tried it on a unstable p4? Jest a thought.
2017-7-31
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Flyin Ryan 420 Posted at 2017-7-31 23:33
Do you know if anyone with stable firmware has uploaded it using  and tried it on a unstable p4? Jest a thought.

This has been suggested a number of times for Harry Potter, but it's difficult getting anyone with a clean update to offer. Regardless, I've compared different .bin file versions at that firmware level, and they're an identical size. Also been trying to find someone still with the previous Beta, but that's even more difficult...
2017-8-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

2 days of this poll to go, and 70 respondees so far. Thanks to all those who took the time.

So far, it appears to be totally inconclusive. Sampling size of this poll aside, you can extrapolate a figurative 50/50 chance that update will be successful, and each method has an equal chance of success (or failure). OK, I'll admit to thinking the installation process may be the factor, but so far that's not being backed up by this poll. Arrgghh! Back to sacrificing chickens on the altar to the Great DJI god again.
2017-8-1
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-8-1 00:16
2 days of this poll to go, and 70 respondees so far. Thanks to all those who took the time.

So far, it appears to be totally inconclusive. Sampling size of this poll aside, you can extrapolate a figurative 50/50 chance that update will be successful, and each method has an equal chance of success (or failure). OK, I'll admit to thinking the installation process may be the factor, but so far that's not being backed up by this poll. Arrgghh! Back to sacrificing chickens on the altar to the Great DJI god again.

I'm still wondering if half the people are misunderstanding the new IMU calibration process and it is the calibration causing the flight issues rather than the firmware, something like rotating it around the wrong axis for the upside down stage, or maybe the calibration needs to be started when cool.   I don't see any reason to think it is the firmware that is different and the poor flight seems to be too varied between different aircraft to be due to a different version/source of motor or ESC or some other component.  Clearly there is something significantly different with some aircraft.

Might be good if someone with a not-working aircraft took it to someone with a good one for a recalibration, setup check and test flight...
2017-8-1
Use props
fansb5a8fce5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7516 ft

Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-1 01:10
I'm still wondering if half the people are misunderstanding the new IMU calibration process and it is the calibration causing the flight issues rather than the firmware, something like rotating it around the wrong axis for the upside down stage.   I don't see any reason to think it is the firmware that is different and the poor flight seems to be too varied between different aircraft to be due to a different version/source of motor or ESC or some other component.  Clearly there is something significantly different with some aircraft.

Might be good if someone with a not-working aircraft took it to someone with a good one for a recalibration, setup check and test flight...

You have to be able to reliably connect to do a calibration
2017-8-1
Use props
leo.s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 205696 ft
Italy

dirk1465 Posted at 2017-7-27 21:50
Since the update of the P4 over PC, unstable and aggressive

Same for me! Updated with DJI Go App 4
2017-8-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bump - last day for input.
2017-8-2
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Poll has run for a week. Thanks to the 86 people who responded - a small sample but adequate for trending. Of those 86, 14 advised that they decided not to update. Of the 72 who did update, approximately 1/3 didn't have issues following, whereas 2/3 did have issues. Of the method use to update the P4, it was reasonably clear that there was a balanced majority between DJI GO and Assistant 2 via PC - not a lot of Assistant 2 via Mac, but I suggest this is consistent with market share.

Bottom line: there is a greater likelihood of unsuccessful update to the new firmware than successful, although there is a reasonable proportion of successes nevertheless. The method to update appears not to be a factor in success or failure.
2017-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules