3125 20 2017-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330807 ft
Brazil

Hi,
I bought a mavic few days ago and i'm facing some issues regarding to compass.

I was using ASUS ZENFONE 3(now ipad mini) and during flight I was receiving compass error messages, like Move Aircraft or Calibrate Compass.

Every time before take off, I check the compass status to see if both of them are green and no compass calibration is required, but still message during flight.

When in flight, I'm checking the sensor state in DJI go and the Compass 1 and Compass 2 are green(excelent), sometimes the compass 2 changes to Yellow (good condition), but when I receive the compass error the compass status on sensor state page changes to "Move away from Interference or recalibrate the compass".

I had all this flights in airdata.com and no warning was verified on the notification page regarding to compass, and I had the message in green NO ISSUES were found.

But today, I was flying again and during the landing (RTH landing for test) I had again the compass message error and I had a notification warning in airdata.com [size=14.6667px]Warning:In Flight,workingcompassencountersdata exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave).

The mavic was exactly over me that time and it was changing to AutoLanding Mode.
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=LOnuzJ (that's the airdata flight log)[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]

The question is;
Is  there any hardware problem with my mavic? I'm scary about a fly away,  because I can't move to atti mode like I do in my phantom 3 in emergency  situation.

I can calibrate the compass normally, the KP Index  was 2 and I can't notice any abnormally regarding to the flight of the  mavic itself.

Hope you guys can understand my doubt, I'm not a native english speaker.
thanks a lot.
2017-7-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fansb9d7f6d6 Posted at 2017-7-28 06:05
Hi,
I bought a mavic few days ago and i'm facing some issues regarding to compass.

Upload the DAT file from a flight where this occurred and we'll be in a better position to try to figure out what went wrong. The DAT file is stored on your Mavic and the correct one will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size. The instructions for retrieving it are here, and once you've accessed it you'll need to upload the file to DropBox (or a similar service) and provide a link to it in this thread.

I was receiving compass error messages, like Move Aircraft or Calibrate Compass.

That message usually means that you've set your Mavic down near metal that's affecting the compass, and when that's the case the correct action is to move it somewhere else well away from any source of intereference before taking off. For example, concrete often contains steel rebar, so you may see this message prior to taking off from a street or sidewalk, and it's a message I recommend you not ignore.

2017-7-28
Use props
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
Brazil

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-28 08:08
Upload the DAT file from a flight where this occurred and we'll be in a better position to try to figure out what went wrong. The DAT file is stored on your Mavic and the correct one will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size. The instructions for retrieving it are here, and once you've accessed it you'll need to upload the file to DropBox (or a similar service) and provide a link to it in this thread.

I was receiving compass error messages, like Move Aircraft or Calibrate Compass.

I'm receiving that message in flight..

I'll put the flight log here. Thanks for the help
2017-7-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansb9d7f6d6 Posted at 2017-7-28 12:03
I'm receiving that message in flight..

I'll put the flight log here. Thanks for the help

It can happen in the environment you are flying in, never calibrate your compass in an area where your app is telling you to move or calibrate, just move.

If this is happening in every area you fly then maybe you will need to calibrate compass just make sure you do it in a safe place and take all precautions.
2017-7-28
Use props
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-28 12:25
It can happen in the environment you are flying in, never calibrate your compass in an area where your app is telling you to move or calibrate, just move.

If this is happening in every area you fly then maybe you will need to calibrate compass just make sure you do it in a safe place and take all precautions.

I'm trying to calibrate the mavic and I get an error after the face the mavic down like in the manual, after the 360 turn, it says strong electromagnetic and the red light flashes.

But, if I calibrate the mavic like the DJI GO 4 app shows the mavic besides, not facing down. I can get a properly calibration.
Unfortunately looks like some hardware issue with the compass.

btw, this is the DAT file from my last flight, I had a compass error on the final of the flight.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dsuacfyhqfosdc/FLY029.DAT?dl=0

What can I do? Did a factory reset now from dji assistant 2 and i'm thinking about calibrating the IMU.
2017-7-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fansb9d7f6d6 Posted at 2017-7-28 14:34
I'm trying to calibrate the mavic and I get an error after the face the mavic down like in the manual, after the 360 turn, it says strong electromagnetic and the red light flashes.

But, if I calibrate the mavic like the DJI GO 4 app shows the mavic besides, not facing down. I can get a properly calibration.

Make sure you're doing the calibration correctly by following the instructions in the video below.

i'm thinking about calibrating the IMU

Why's that? You generally shouldn't calibrate anything unless you're prompted to or otherwise have a specific reason for it needing to be done.

2017-7-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can try IMU calibration not sure what it will do, calibration for compass , not near any metal objects watch keys car concrete remote control and anything else that might cause magnetic interference, if this doesn't work I'm afraid you may have a problem.
2017-7-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

btw, this is the DAT file from my last flight, I had a compass error on the final of the flight.

That isn't the correct DAT file; it just shows the Mavic being powered on for a couple of minutes indoors, and the correct one will probably be much larger in size.
2017-7-28
Use props
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
Brazil

WRONG FILE.
this is THE CORRECT ONE.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uetd4r5xlj56yj8/FLY023.DAT?dl=0
sorry about that.

So, I can't calibrate the mavic facing down, like that image below, I got an interference error and the red light flashes.

I only can calibrate the mavic like the image below, so after the 360 (the second one) the green light flashes.

Sorry about the images, I'm just trying to be understandable.

2017-7-28
Use props
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
Brazil

After few atempts, I calibrated the mavic facing down, like the video above.

just for curiosity, I had a big plate and 8 screws on my left collarbone due to a bike crash, I used to use the left arm to calibrate with no sucess, Tried this time with right arm and it's works (on the second attempt). lol
2017-7-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fansb9d7f6d6 Posted at 2017-7-28 15:11
After few atempts, I calibrated the mavic facing down, like the video above.

just for curiosity, I had a big plate and 8 screws on my left collarbone due to a bike crash, I used to use the left arm to calibrate with no sucess, Tried this time with right arm and it's works (on the second attempt). lol

Try flying it again and see if you run into any more trouble. It looks like the error you got was probably related to a previous calibration attempt, so if the latest one was good then I don't think you'll see that behavior again. But if you do run into problems again go ahead and post the DAT file from the new flight and I'll look at it.

Yes, that's interesting about the plate. To be honest I probably wouldn't have guessed it would be a problem, but it sounds like you may have stumbled upon the problem with the previous calibration attempts. Good luck.
2017-7-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-28 14:38

Make sure you're doing the calibration correctly by following the instructions in the video below.

Hey DF

I like the help you are providing!  The only thing is I really do not like the guys that make videos showing the compass calibration with the drone spinning around while they stay in one place.

I prefer the drone stay in the same spot and the user move in the circle. Or put the controller down and use two hands to turn the drone in the circle in one place.

Just a point after looking at this video.

Rich
2017-7-28
Use props
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
Brazil

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-28 16:32
Try flying it again and see if you run into any more trouble. It looks like the error you got was probably related to a previous calibration attempt, so if the latest one was good then I don't think you'll see that behavior again. But if you do run into problems again go ahead and post the DAT file from the new flight and I'll look at it.

Yes, that's interesting about the plate. To be honest I probably wouldn't have guessed it would be a problem, but it sounds like you may have stumbled upon the problem with the previous calibration attempts. Good luck.

I'm gonna try it tomorrow. If I'll have some issue I will let you know..
Thank you very , I really appreciate all the support.
2017-7-28
Use props
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
Brazil

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-7-28 17:19
Hey DF

I like the help you are providing!  The only thing is I really do not like the guys that make videos showing the compass calibration with the drone spinning around while they stay in one place.

Turn the drone in its own axis right?
2017-7-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansb9d7f6d6 Posted at 2017-7-28 18:23
Turn the drone in its own axis right?

Yes..  Make sure you do not have keys, coins or phone on your person (basically no metal items) and you are good to go.  Do it in an open area with no metal around, cars concrete with rebar etc.
I pivot the drone around its own axis slowly and then point the nose down and do the same thing.

I was not trying to be critical, but when you are having trouble it is best to do the procedure as cleanly as possible. This would eliminate the calibration method and hopefully you are ready to go flying.

Rich
2017-7-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-7-28 17:19
Hey DF

It doesn't matter whether you rotate your own body or just stay stationary and rotate the drone itself. The important thing is that it be turned a full 360 degrees so that it can record / analyze the magnetic deviation, so I'm not sure why you'd consider rotating your body a less "clean" way of accomplishing that. It's just a matter of personal preference and not a case of one technique being correct and the other not.

Also, the caveats you posted about doing it away from metal (including rebar) are clearly stated at the beginning (00:04) of the video I linked to. It isn't my video but I think it's a pretty good one.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansb9d7f6d6
lvl.1
United States

Hi guys,
Did I flight this morning and no messages were found regard to compass or magnetic interference..
Like I said, after few atempts, I was able to calibrate the mavic facing down last night.. Hope it fixed the compass issue.
Any news I let you guys know.
tks a lot
2017-7-29
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fansb9d7f6d6 Posted at 2017-7-29 15:41
Hi guys,
Did I flight this morning and no messages were found regard to compass or magnetic interference..
Like I said, after few atempts, I was able to calibrate the mavic facing down last night.. Hope it fixed the compass issue.

I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for the update.
2017-7-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansb9d7f6d6 Posted at 2017-7-29 15:41
Hi guys,

That's the important thing, thanks for the update and happy flying

Rich
2017-7-30
Use props
ftmonjardim
lvl.1
Brazil

Hi.
It's almost impossible to calibrate my dji.
The first step is ok, but when I do the second turn facing down the mavic, the red light blinks and a message saying it's impossible to calibrate the mavic due to strong interference pops up.

Tried several times, in several location and it's almost impossible, I only could calibrate the mavic when I put the mavic no exactly facing down, maybe few degress pitch up..

I tested my mavic in flight today  and I could see something weird, when I'm hovering with the mavic, the second compass shows a big yellow bar on the state sensor page or even a red one, but if I put the stick forward (pitch the mavic down), a green bar shows up almots instantaneity.

I'm afraid  to fly in this situation.

2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

ftmonjardim Posted at 2017-8-1 10:42
Hi.
It's almost impossible to calibrate my dji.
The first step is ok, but when I do the second turn facing down the mavic, the red light blinks and a message saying it's impossible to calibrate the mavic due to strong interference pops up.

Sorry to hear that, please don't fly it, send the drone in for a diagnosis first.
2017-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules