Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Spark Battery Bricked During Firmware Update Two Middle LEDs On
15561 38 2017-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans840d30cf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40869 ft
United States

Hello all,

My DJI Spark battery just became paper weight!

Here is what happened:

I was updating DJI Spark, with my phone connected to the controller via WiFi and the controller connected to Spark. At 98% of the update the aircraft would not turn on, and the battery was stuck with the two middle LEDs on. After about 30 min like this, I swapped batteries and the updated finished without further issues. Problem is I was left with a battery that would not respond (two middle LEDs stuck).

Then I conncted the aircraft to DJI Assistant 2 with the second battery (the one that finished the update successfully), and everything was ok. I proceeded to update my third battery through DJI Assistant 2, and did so without problems.

Now I had to check on battery #1, the one that got stuck. I tried to update the first battery (the one that had the two middle LED on), and had no success, because it would not turn on the aircraft, so conexion to DJI Assistant 2 was not possible.

I then tried to charge the battery on the drone, without success. I also tried to use the Spark's Battery Charging Hub, but as soon as I connected the battery it would slowly blink in greena couple times, and turn red.

I did see some people having this issue with Mavic and Phantom batteries, but theirs would turn on the aircraft, allowing them to connect to DJI Assistant 2, and fix the issue.

DJI support just told me to send it back.

Any ideas? Has it happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

Caio

2017-7-28
Use props
ap_sparky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20574 ft
Germany

I think the battery was bricked and it will not come back to life by itself. You could wait for a couple of hours to see if that changes when the battery is losing its charge.
2017-7-28
Use props
fans570b40e1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46765 ft
Australia

Yea the exact same thing happened to me word for word , I got excited when I read your situation as I thought I would find a fix for this.
2017-7-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about this, it is the sign that the battery had not upgraded successfully. Did the middle lights of the battery now still on? If it did, please try to connect it with DJI Assistant 2, then try to export the aircraft update data under Black Box if you can connect the drone with Assistant 2, we would help to check more about this.  
2017-7-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans570b40e1 Posted at 2017-7-28 15:57
Yea the exact same thing happened to me word for word , I got excited when I read your situation as I thought I would find a fix for this.

As I had replied above, please try to connect the drone with this battery to DJI Assistant 2 and see if you can upgrade it again. Please export the same upgrading log if you can upgrade again and fail finally.
2017-7-29
Use props
Jeff68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96893 ft
Taiwan

The middle two led blink while I update the Spark. And when you update the RC, the middle two led of RC also blinking. So I assume the middle two led blinking means it is on updating process. They both blink for few second and come back to normal after update was done.
2017-7-29
Use props
Naked Bacon
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-29 03:46
As I had replied above, please try to connect the drone with this battery to DJI Assistant 2 and see if you can upgrade it again. Please export the same upgrading log if you can upgrade again and fail finally.

As described above the two centre led's are on and have been permanently on since the update attempt   and the battery will not power the spark on . I can't connect to the DJI Assistant 2 , if the Spark wont power up with this battery on. I have no problem connecting my spark to DJI Assistant 2  with my other batteries as they will power the spark up .
I appreciate your time on this issue and hopefully we can rectify this problem.
Darren   
2017-7-30
Use props
Naked Bacon
lvl.1
Australia

Naked Bacon Posted at 2017-7-30 00:31
As described above the two centre led's are on and have been permanently on since the update attempt   and the battery will not power the spark on . I can't connect to the DJI Assistant 2 , if the Spark wont power up with this battery on. I have no problem connecting my spark to DJI Assistant 2  with my other batteries as they will power the spark up .
I appreciate your time on this issue and hopefully we can rectify this problem.
Darren

P.S. see avatar picture
2017-7-30
Use props
Troiano27
lvl.1
United States

This happen to me. Spark would not turn off, only two middle lights on. Took battery off spark, plugged into charging hub. Nothing happen. Put back on spark, craft started up again. Connected to RC, I connected RC wifi to my iPad mini. Then it started battery update process again. After it went though the process, battery is normal again.  
2017-7-30
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I think people are getting scared because the update doesn't move sometimes for up to five minutes so they pull the battery off I would try to put the battery back on the craft restart the Wi-Fi and Flash again it should just do it on its own
2017-7-30
Use props
Naked Bacon
lvl.1
Australia

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-7-30 08:56
I think people are getting scared because the update doesn't move sometimes for up to five minutes so they pull the battery off I would try to put the battery back on the craft restart the Wi-Fi and Flash again it should just do it on its own

At 98% of the update the aircraft would not turn on, and the battery was stuck with the two middle LEDs on. AFTER ABOUT 30 MIN LIKE THIS, I swapped batteries and the updated finished without further issues. Problem is I was left with a battery that would not respond (two middle LEDs stuck).
2017-8-1
Use props
djiuser_30ZZlo0
lvl.1
Spain

Out of the box new battery charged as seemed OK. On to Spark and all seemed OK at startup but then Gimbal just started moving around all over the place!! Battery out and back in all seemed OK but LEDs where not correct. I did manage to fly but no photos and still LEDs wrong. Battery out, different one in and all OK.  Then battery, two greens in centre on even when trying to charge.  OK thought RTB!! Then saw the Forum so started all up, DJI Go4, RC and drone and got Firmware inconsistency - upgraded and all OK.  ps. Did not get any message about Firmwhare when I first attached battery and started Drone, APP and RC and it did fly.

Happy now can GoFly for 30+ minutes with my 3 batteries

2017-8-20
Use props
Naked Bacon
lvl.1
Australia

Been dealing with DJI ended up sending battery back and they sent me a new battery . From start to end it took about 2 weeks , so happy with the outcome  had no hassles dealing with DJI everything went smoothly.
Great company to deal with.
2017-8-25
Use props
fans3d813f8c
New
Flight distance : 12543 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-29 03:46

I am having the same issue.
I can't connect with DJI Assistant 2 because the damaged battery will not power on the Spark.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans3d813f8c Posted at 2017-9-11 17:59
I am having the same issue.
I can't connect with DJI Assistant 2 because the damaged battery will not power on the Spark.

Did it still have power on it? If yes, you can keep it in charge for about 2 hours, then mount it in the drone, try to light up the lights. Then it could connect to DJI Assistant 2. If there is no power and you can not charge it at all, I suggest sending it back if it is under the warranty period (6 Months and Charge Cycle less than 200 Times). Thank you.
2017-9-12
Use props
Rubik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1224921 ft
United Kingdom

A got a message the battery was going to suffer damage if I don't land. My battery wouldn't recharge on the hub, the charger went red. I placed the battery back on the Spark and plugged in the USB lead. After a few minutes, one green LED started flashing. At this point, I popped the battery back on the charging hub and it charged up fine.
2017-9-12
Use props
Rubik
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1224921 ft
United Kingdom

Mine went wrong. Same as yours. Went red on the charging hub. I connected the USB lead onto the drone with the battery re installed. I waited a few minutes to find 1 green flashing LED. Removed the battery and placed it back into the hub and it continued to charge up fine.
2017-9-12
Use props
fans3d813f8c
New
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-12 03:16
Did it still have power on it? If yes, you can keep it in charge for about 2 hours, then mount it in the drone, try to light up the lights. Then it could connect to DJI Assistant 2. If there is no power and you can not charge it at all, I suggest sending it back if it is under the warranty period (6 Months and Charge Cycle less than 200 Times). Thank you.

Yeah, I can't charge it at all.
I bought the Fly More Package, and when I put the battery into the charger, the charger light will blink green 3 times and then turn solid red.
I've only had the drone for a month so I will contact support within the next couple of days.
Thank you for the response.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sukizilla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 352802 ft
Thailand

I have same issue
20170911_200634.jpg
2017-9-12
Use props
TexasAerials
First Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

fans3d813f8c Posted at 2017-9-12 17:16
I bought the Fly More Package, and when I put the battery into the charger, the charger light will blink green 3 times and then turn solid red.
I've only had the drone for a month so I will contact support within the next couple of days.

the flashing red is usually the internal temp of battery is too high to charge let the batteries cool down and try again
2017-9-12
Use props
fans3d813f8c
New
United States

TexasAerials Posted at 2017-9-12 17:45
the flashing red is usually the internal temp of battery is too high to charge let the batteries cool down and try again

Oh, I tried again 24 hours later.
It's definitely not the internal temp, but thank you for the suggestion.
It's looking like I'll just have to send it in to DJI. Fortunately I have another battery which seemed to handle the update just fine.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans3d813f8c Posted at 2017-9-12 17:16

Thank you for your feedback, will I suggest sending it back and we will take care of it. Appreciate it.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Please refer to my answer at 15#. Thank you.

2017-9-14
Use props
Sukizilla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 352802 ft
Thailand

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-14 03:06
Please refer to my answer at 15#. Thank you.

I sent it back to DJI Dealer and he swop new battery for me
2017-9-17
Use props
9896wf+968
lvl.1

Argentina

ey, did you found a solution for this problem? I have the same one, can´t turn on my sparks
2018-3-20
Use props
Caiokv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40869 ft
United States

9896wf+968 Posted at 2018-3-20 05:48
ey, did you found a solution for this problem? I have the same one, can´t turn on my sparks

Nope, got myself a nice paper weight instead... But some people did report that after 10~20 days the battery eventually drained and they managed to update it trough the drone.
2018-3-20
Use props
9896wf+968
lvl.1

Argentina

Caiokv Posted at 2018-3-20 05:52
Nope, got myself a nice paper weight instead... But some people did report that after 10~20 days the battery eventually drained and they managed to update it trough the drone.

Okey. Thanks
2018-3-25
Use props
djiuser_eF0Dl4Wqj2t7
lvl.1
Brazil

Caiokv Posted at 2018-3-20 05:52

2018-4-21
Use props
djiuser_eF0Dl4Wqj2t7
lvl.1
Brazil

HI CAIO, I'M GUSTAVO. I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. DID YOU SOLVE BY YOURSELF? ARE YOU BRAZILIAN?
2018-4-21
Use props
jh8
First Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Had the same issue just now with a new battery. FW upgrade failed because I accidentally turned off the RC too early, 2 green leds stayed on. Put it on the charger for 10 minutes but nothing changed.
Upgrade through assistant did not work either (complained about <50% battery while it was almost full, guess because it could not read the battery)
But luckily I eventually managed to update it using the GO4 app!
2018-4-24
Use props
fancoolfan
New
Australia

it;s design fraud. stupid way did on Spark battery.  no other DJI model drone battery behave like this.
2018-6-3
Use props
flshark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

fancoolfan Posted at 2018-6-3 03:50
it;s design fraud. stupid way did on Spark battery.  no other DJI model drone battery behave like this.

I own a Mavic and a Spark! I bought a 3rd battery for longer flight time on my projects for the spark. I was successful updating the two but for some odd reason this new battery is giving me a really hard time.

I mean it says when I am in the Dji GO PRO APP it says must update battery, cant fly.. So I watched a few youtube videos but I could not bring up the update firmware screen for the life of me.  I sure could use your help since I have a shot tomorrow..

Many thanks,
Drone Aerial Expediters
2018-9-8
Use props
johnnyk8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39163 ft
United States

My 3rd battery did this today too.  I slid the slider button over to the right ....  it asked again so I slid it to the right again and then the spark shut down and the two center lights are on continuously.  I have never flown on this battery but it was 100% charged.

I have it on the charger again to see if it will snap out of it.
2018-9-9
Use props
johnnyk8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39163 ft
United States

johnnyk8 Posted at 2018-9-9 14:37
My 3rd battery did this today too.  I slid the slider button over to the right ....  it asked again so I slid it to the right again and then the spark shut down and the two center lights are on continuously.  I have never flown on this battery but it was 100% charged.

I have it on the charger again to see if it will snap out of it.

I just returned the battery to the store and will charge and try again.  No more updating unless I'm using DJI Assist.
2018-9-9
Use props
FLShark6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnnyk8 Posted at 2018-9-9 16:29
I just returned the battery to the store and will charge and try again.  No more updating unless I'm using DJI Assist.

I sold my Dji spark yesterday for $400 and got the Dji Mavic Air yesterday from Bestbuy in black onxy.

Mavic Air

Mavic Air
2018-9-11
Use props
puk3n
New
Flight distance : 22467 ft
Canada

This has happened to me where I botched two firmware updates. so two batteries were only showing two green middle lights. what I did was put a good battery in my spark then turned it on, waited 5 seconds then just pulled out the battery and popped in a "bricked" battery (with the two green lights) and the spark started up and I used NLD to finish the firmware update.
2019-3-10
Use props
Jacob Williams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

Is there a new battery update?
2019-3-10
Use props
Jacob Williams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

puk3n Posted at 3-10 09:48
This has happened to me where I botched two firmware updates. so two batteries were only showing two green middle lights. what I did was put a good battery in my spark then turned it on, waited 5 seconds then just pulled out the battery and popped in a "bricked" battery (with the two green lights) and the spark started up and I used NLD to finish the firmware update.

Is there a new battery update?
2019-3-10
Use props
djiuser_C4ZZZimnPz6j
lvl.1

Australia

djiuser_eF0Dl4Wqj2t7 Posted at 2018-4-21 20:19

Update it through the drone ?
Can you update the firmware of the battery in the drone if the battery is flat ?

I have of these batt bricks and am 2 days in....

I thought the drone would need power to update the battery ? Eg a battery with charge ??
2020-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules