Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OTG Cable or WIFI?
123Next >
51886 88 2017-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jefflee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20925 ft
United States

I have only had my DJI Spark for a couple weeks and do not have an OTG Cable to connect to my RC. It seems like most experienced users are using this configuration, though. Besides making it quicker for intial setup (not having to worry about going in and selecting a wifi-network every time) are there other benefits?
2017-7-28
Use props
RoyTeo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45194 ft
Singapore

I use the OTG since day 1. Also because I couldn't get the wifi to connect properly or seamlessly. Takes too many steps and OTG minimizes dual wifi operating at once..maybe that is psychologically better
Also, because I turn my phone into flight mode, all signals are off, leaving only the Remote WIFI to the AC WIFI turned on. Maybe that's better..
But still, I get choppy video, no disconnect, just choppy video occasionally so maybe there's no difference with OTG at all..it's just much easier to set up...just plug in, it auto launch the app, and auto connect..no meddling with wifi connections
2017-7-28
Use props
PascalG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

I also exclusively use otg.  It just makes more sense as you can put the phone in airplane mode and kill any signal that could possibly interfere with the RC link.  Also, I can't help but wondering if having the RC broadcast two signals, one to the drone and one to the controller doesn't somewhat affect the strength of the signal going to the drone, I know it's speculation and  I guess it depends on how the wifi module is set up on the RC.  Just works for me
2017-7-29
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

OTG Defiantly, this is the one I use http://amzn.to/2v9hlO3
2017-7-29
Use props
lafoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

I use OTG since day 1. But today i lost signal!!!!! don't know what happened...
2017-7-29
Use props
Jeff68
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96893 ft
Taiwan

I have found out the OTG not working well on my iPhone SE. But honestly I never have problem with wifi connection. And I never check what app working on the background and never turn off Bluetooth or set Ton An St. airplane mode. It also work perfect.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I do not use OTG cable at all. I never have issue with signal strength nor video feed quality. I use the Lightning port to connect to my Goggles via Lightning Digital AV cable.
2017-7-29
Use props
fans9ff6d142
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64865 ft
United States

RoyTeo Posted at 2017-7-28 17:21
I use the OTG since day 1. Also because I couldn't get the wifi to connect properly or seamlessly. Takes too many steps and OTG minimizes dual wifi operating at once..maybe that is psychologically better
Also, because I turn my phone into flight mode, all signals are off, leaving only the Remote WIFI to the AC WIFI turned on. Maybe that's better..
But still, I get choppy video, no disconnect, just choppy video occasionally so maybe there's no difference with OTG at all..it's just much easier to set up...just plug in, it auto launch the app, and auto connect..no meddling with wifi connections

When you turn your phone into airplane mode how does the app get the map data? Wouldn't you be looking at blank map? Same thing for people that fly with wifi iPad.
2017-7-29
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans9ff6d142 Posted at 2017-7-29 08:00
When you turn your phone into airplane mode how does the app get the map data? Wouldn't you be looking at blank map? Same thing for people that fly with wifi iPad.

That's why I use OTG with my WiFi iPad mini 4, so I can get maps. I know you can turn on offline maps but that involves extra steps - connect to internet WiFi, start GO, navigate to where you're flying, leave Go on so it doesn't forget the maps, connect to RC WiFI. It's a lot easier to turn it all on, plug in the cable and fly.
2017-7-29
Use props
frank.owen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151316 ft
United States

One other advantage of OTG is reduced latency. I measured about 180ms with OTG vs. 260ms with Wifi.  (80ms less). For me, this is really not that big a difference, and I just go with Wifi to avoid hassle of using the cable.
2017-7-29
Use props
insippo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44698 ft
Estonia

WIFI is good for connecting.
2017-7-29
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tried OTG, tested in open countryside and urban environment, using iPhone 7 Plus as far I can see it makes no difference. Range was the same.
2017-7-29
Use props
fans909d0edb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19465 ft
United States

What type / brand of OTG cables are best for Android phones
2017-7-29
Use props
nucmanchh
Second Officer
United States

OTG from day one. No problems. I use Gesture mode when I want to show the Spark to a friend. They are always amazed. But that's the only time I fool with it. As for the rest of the Intelligent mode...never use
2017-7-29
Use props
fans3fcfd5ff
New
United States

Bradders Posted at 2017-7-29 05:39
OTG Defiantly, this is the one I use http://amzn.to/2v9hlO3

The Amazon page specifically says that this cable is NOT for the Spark.   Did you find some other info that led you to purchase?

Thanks
2017-7-29
Use props
PascalG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

I often fly it in areas with no cell or wifi so I ve never used the map and like having the phone in airplane mode. I also always do a phone shut down and restart before the first flight . I do pay attention to the arrow on the "radar" scope and to the data (distance and altitude). I don't need the map
2017-7-29
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

After the latest firmware I was able to spend some time flying the Spark today.  Second battery I flew with OTG cable and reached 2000 ft away before loosing video and the third battery I flew with wifi I lost video after just 200 ft I was flying in a residential area as well.
2017-7-29
Use props
amd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 231335 ft
Lithuania

fans9ff6d142 Posted at 2017-7-29 08:00

You can download all maps for offline use, so no need to have internet, when flying.
2017-7-29
Use props
amd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 231335 ft
Lithuania

amd Posted at 2017-7-29 20:41
You can download all maps for offline use, so no need to have internet, when flying.
[view_image]
repeating photo link :/
https://pixhost.org/show/356/47942700_2017-07-30-07-39-51.png
2017-7-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Actually, the connection between the Spark RC and the mobile device via OTG cable has not been fully tested, so I would suggest that you use it with caution.
2017-7-30
Use props
Matioupi
First Officer
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-30 01:44
Actually, the connection between the Spark RC and the mobile device via OTG cable has not been fully tested, so I would suggest that you use it with caution.

Sorry to be a little sarcastic, but do you consider the WiFi channel selection in Europe was tested more or less than OTG before releasing Spark ?
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

RoyTeo Posted at 2017-7-28 17:21

Also, check the magnetic or wireless interference of your flight environment. Besides, I don't know if all signals off also including Bluetooth, it will cause the choppy transmission, too, so please try to shut down the Bluetooth device like the watch, etc..
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

lafoto Posted at 2017-7-29 06:19
I use OTG since day 1. But today i lost signal!!!!! don't know what happened...

Please check whether you had used the WiFi mode to control the drone by phone before you lost the signal, if you had, try to reenter to RC mode and link the drone and the controller again.
2017-7-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-30 01:44

I have tried both OTG and wifi, there is no difference, spark to RC is working like a dream for me, and no cables is something I don't miss.
2017-7-30
Use props
Bradders
Second Officer
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

fans3fcfd5ff Posted at 2017-7-29 15:26
The Amazon page specifically says that this cable is NOT for the Spark.   Did you find some other info that led you to purchase?

Thanks

Oh, I never noticed, I have this cable and it works perfectly
2017-7-30
Use props
lafoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-30 01:55
Please check whether you had used the WiFi mode to control the drone by phone before you lost the signal, if you had, try to reenter to RC mode and link the drone and the controller again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrYBJ3olcs&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNIrePb_pR6Rd2Cp8GaKa_i&index=5

Thanks...
It didn't happened again...
I did more 12km with the spark and no problems...
2017-7-30
Use props
RGMGFitness
Captain
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

American consumer here.  I ordered this cable for my SPARK (just in case).  My SPARK is expected to be delivered in next few days and just didn't want to be waiting on a cable should one be needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017-7-30
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

US here. No problem with WiFi.  I see no advantage to the cable. (at least here in the US) Seems like it may be an advantage in the EU, based on forum posts.
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

lafoto Posted at 2017-7-30 09:08
Thanks...
It didn't happened again...
I did more 12km with the spark and no problems...

Thanks for the feedback. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We'd glad to help.
2017-7-30
Use props
jefflee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20925 ft
United States

Ever since I updated the firmware, I am having a lot of problems with my WIFI connection. The app says there is interference and to turn off Bluetooth. I do this and it doesn't seem to have any effect. The video often cuts out and is very choppy/lagging. Any suggestions to improve this connection without having to go to OTG?
2017-7-31
Use props
RobSI
lvl.1
United States

Quick question. When trying to connect an iPhone 7 plus to the controller via OTG cable should the WIFI symbol change the RC symbol in the DJI GO app? And as jefflee I am having the same issue with the Bluetooth.
2017-8-1
Use props
bbchucks
New
Flight distance : 25896 ft
United States

Does this OTG to Lightning cable work with SPARK?
[url=Does this OTG to Lightning cable work with SPARK?  http://a.co/ja754j5]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07214TWXG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KINGPXZ55VLF&psc=1[/url]
2017-8-1
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-7-30 10:14
US here. No problem with WiFi.  I see no advantage to the cable. (at least here in the US) Seems like it may be an advantage in the EU, based on forum posts.

US here, and OTG makes a world of difference.  every time i used my spark and RC but linked everything via Wifi i only get maybe 500-ish feet out before video start getting crap or cut and then very shortly after disconnected in my neighborhood.  going up helped. but it would still chop...   switched phone to airplane mode used OTG, and more than doubled my usable range .. in my crappy area.  my area isn't like a major city but my area is a developed area and moderate amount of wifi congestion..

having tested at a local park with less wifi interference OTG again was a world of difference.    i probably could have pushed out 1.5miles if i had that much free space to fly.. without OTG only made it to back side of the park before i get disconnected which is about a half mile from where i was... right about at tree line.   with OTG, beyond the trees across the road into the next park (a project right now) over....i only turned around because i didn't want to fly into the neighborhood behind it...
2017-8-1
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

bbchucks Posted at 2017-8-1 10:48
Does this OTG to Lightning cable work with SPARK?
http://a.co/ja754j5]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07214TWXG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3KINGPXZ55VLF&psc=1[/url]

No idea, but I bought an android version to try.  I currently have to string two cables together to make the OTG connection to RC.  It would be nice to eliminate a cable.
2017-8-1
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-1 11:01
US here, and OTG makes a world of difference.  every time i used my spark and RC but linked everything via Wifi i only get maybe 500-ish feet out before video start getting crap or cut and then very shortly after disconnected in my neighborhood.  going up helped. but it would still chop...   switched phone to airplane mode used OTG, and more than doubled my usable range .. in my crappy area.  my area isn't like a major city but my area is a developed area and moderate amount of wifi congestion..

having tested at a local park with less wifi interference OTG again was a world of difference.    i probably could have pushed out 1.5miles if i had that much free space to fly.. without OTG only made it to back side of the park before i get disconnected which is about a half mile from where i was... right about at tree line.   with OTG, beyond the trees across the road into the next park (a project right now) over....i only turned around because i didn't want to fly into the neighborhood behind it...

Great that the OTG cable works for you.  Since we can only fly line of sight in the US, the wifi connection works wonderfully for me.  I don't think I could see the Spark more than 500 feet away at the most.  I have never had signal interuptipn on wifi.
2017-8-1
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-8-1 13:12
Great that the OTG cable works for you.  Since we can only fly line of sight in the US, the wifi connection works wonderfully for me.  I don't think I could see the Spark more than 500 feet away at the most.  I have never had signal interuptipn on wifi.

what's actually confusing is what the real rules are of the FAA.. however as long as you have a live view, not in controlled airspace and not flying stupid,  i personally dont think it matters...  

also VLOS (visual line of sight) is very very dangerous way to fly your aircraft.   its like being drunk, greater risk of crashing..
2017-8-1
Use props
Wx_Striker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24728 ft
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-7-29 07:53
I do not use OTG cable at all. I never have issue with signal strength nor video feed quality. I use the Lightning port to connect to my Goggles via Lightning Digital AV cable.

What goggles do you use, and does it work with GO4 app or do you need a special VR app?  Want to try this.
2017-8-1
Use props
rockstarinlife
New
United States

I use OTG as well. I don't want to take any chances with the wifi signal and lose my Spark.
2017-8-1
Use props
kasei
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118399 ft
Germany

i did use OTG before to get more range (CE 2.4) and less latency (Android honor 6x DFS problem)
but after the firmware and app update though the latency on 5G improved a lot, better than OTG2.4 but CE range is still aweful ( about 180m on open field before losing imagetransmission)
the worst is,  the way ill got OTG2.4 doesnt work anymore and when i was finally connected and in the air the app lost signal to aircraft again and again.
right now i cant trust the  app/liveview
2017-8-1
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-1 13:22
what's actually confusing is what the real rules are of the FAA.. however as long as you have a live view, not in controlled airspace and not flying stupid,  i personally dont think it matters...  

also VLOS (visual line of sight) is very very dangerous way to fly your aircraft.   its like being drunk, greater risk of crashing..

The FAA definately thinks it matters. I have a commercial sUAV license and VLOS is a rule for me, not a suggestion.  If you are a mile and a half away from your drone, how would you know if you were on a collision course with a helicopter.  Flying where you cannot see could be very dangerous.
2017-8-1
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules