Video Lag & Results of FW & SW Updates
1085 4 2017-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

Background: When I first received my Spark Fly Away package with remote control I was disappointed with the range verses the 1.2 miles advertised. I would get frequent but temporary lost connection and weak video transmission warnings at around 1000 ft (documented in previous threads). In my efforts to resolve this issue I purchased OTG adapter cables from Amazon and I was very pleased with the results. I connected my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone to the RC and I could fly out over 2000 ft and 250 ft elevation with no issues at all. Then I foolishly refreshed the Spark Firmware with each battery in place per a suggestion in this forum - suddenly I ran into significant video lag - so significant it was impossible to fly by watching the video screen. If I held the Spark in one spot and turned 360 degrees in "P" mode I would only see 15 degrees at a time then a lag and another 15 degrees. Not only a lag but a broken pixelated picture. After several discussions with Technical Support they asked me to send the Spark in for evaluation. I declined as I wasn't convinced the issue was in the AC and I wanted to test connecting to other devices. Meanwhile, I found I could connect phone to RC through wireless with much improved performance over my initial experience.

UPDATES: Yesterday I received and installed firmware updates to the Spark as well as the RC so I decided to try to the OTG connection again to see if the video lag issue had been resolved. Voila - It was great. I immediately flew the drone over 3000 ft away with superb video signal and no connection issues. I didn't do much messing around with gesture mode because it's not something I have much interest in, but the few things I tried seem to work fine. I did try the panorama but didn't see anything different than prior to the FW upgrades.

Today I got hold of the DJI GO 4 4.1.4 upgrade through a link provided by a forum contributer. I was so happy with the performance following the FW upgrades I was leery about upgrading the APP. So I saved the 4.1.3 APK file, uninstalled the app and then installed the 4.1.4 App. Then I connected everything, still using the OTG cable. At first, everything seemed fine and I took a couple of really good 180 degree panorama photos. Then I noticed the video lag cropping up again; not as severe as earlier, but still a lag. So I uninstalled 4.1.4 and reinstalled 4.1.3, hooked up through OTG and made another test flight. I took the Spark out 1000 ft and 300 ft elevation and spun it around 720 degrees in sport mode with no lag. I ran the Spark as fast as I could and then made the tightest possible 270 degree turn with no lag.

I'm convinced that something in the 4.1.4 update re-introduced the video lag issue. I would rather have the lag free video than the 180 degree panoramic photo capability so I'll stick with this version. I read where DJI GO 4.1.5 will be out soon to correct some of the glitches introduced with 4.1.4 and I'll wait and try again.

Meanwhile, as opposed to all the negative comments I see in this forum, I think DJI has produced a great drone. There are issues that will need to be resolved, but I'm impressed with the quality of the Drone, the RC and the software. However, I think the technical support I received through e-mail leaves much to be desired. I never had the sense that the responders really read and understood my issues and I got stock answers to other issues until they gave up and asked me to send in the drone for evaluation.
2017-7-28
Use props
landrian18
lvl.2
United States

Same here sir after i install the 4.1.4 on my ipad even i am just 10ft away from my spark lag is so bad.. both otg and wifi.. but now i install the new update 4.1.5 and i still have lag now i'm so worried to fly my drone i really hope dji will fix this soon..
2017-7-29
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Or u can just go back to 4.1.3 so u can fly!
2017-7-29
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

UPDATE: DJI Go 4 was updated automatically to 4.1.4 as I neglected to block updates. It turns out that the video lag I had experienced with an earlier version of 4.1.4 was gone. I'm now flying with 4.1.4. with the best performance I've experienced since purchasing the drone and I've taken several 180 degree panoramic photos (21 shots stitched together perfectly)
2017-8-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sliderul Posted at 2017-8-13 19:39
UPDATE: DJI Go 4 was updated automatically to 4.1.4 as I neglected to block updates. It turns out that the video lag I had experienced with an earlier version of 4.1.4 was gone. I'm now flying with 4.1.4. with the best performance I've experienced since purchasing the drone and I've taken several 180 degree panoramic photos (21 shots stitched together perfectly)

awesome sause.  hopefully DJi fixes some software quarks they have. i noticed even with my cache disabled on my DJi app my app gone from 100 some MB to over 450MB now.
2017-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules