Mavic versus Phantom 3 Standard - much difference?
2157 10 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think most of us on here would argue there's a huge difference, but I had a few people ask me what to suggest if they couldn't afford a Mavic or were starting out, so I looked into the actual specs and compared them for a bit of fun. Was actually a bit surprised in the end considering the difference in price...  

All good fun as always....   

Cheers,
Ian

2017-7-29
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 544222 ft
Romania

always Mavic
2017-7-29
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, I don't argue that... I just wanted to point out the differences between the two aren't actually that great apart from the two big ones - range and size - which may not be critical for everyone....

Cheers

Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon
2017-7-29
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

I think the video resolution of the P3 is also lower.
2017-7-29
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

I started with the p3s and it took me about a month before I ended up selling it and buying a Mavic simply because I didn't know if I wanted to put 1000 into a drone.  Before I knew it I had nearly 1k into the p3s and it was still lacking in several areas.  The biggest issues I had with the p3s was the distance.  I believe anything above a standard uses lightbridge which is significantly better range and signal reliability.  I would frequently lose signal within a few hundred feet of me and that gets annoying quickly.  I ended up getting a range extender and that helped some but still nowhere near the Mavic.  As for image quality I don't think a novice user would care.  It is only 2.7 k but if your shooting 1080 it doesn't really matter that much.  It does not have a lot of the other features the Mavic does such as active track, tripod, point and fly, etc.  I had purchased the litchi app for the purpose of using the active track feature and it worked sometimes but was never reliable.  The Mavic is obviously much better with the active track.   Add in its portability I believe it to be an aveeprall better value.
2017-7-29
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 544222 ft
Romania

For a beginner with little money is super ok P3s
2017-7-29
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MTUFLYER28 Posted at 2017-7-29 20:27
I started with the p3s and it took me about a month before I ended up selling it and buying a Mavic simply because I didn't know if I wanted to put 1000 into a drone.  Before I knew it I had nearly 1k into the p3s and it was still lacking in several areas.  The biggest issues I had with the p3s was the distance.  I believe anything above a standard uses lightbridge which is significantly better range and signal reliability.  I would frequently lose signal within a few hundred feet of me and that gets annoying quickly.  I ended up getting a range extender and that helped some but still nowhere near the Mavic.  As for image quality I don't think a novice user would care.  It is only 2.7 k but if your shooting 1080 it doesn't really matter that much.  It does not have a lot of the other features the Mavic does such as active track, tripod, point and fly, etc.  I had purchased the litchi app for the purpose of using the active track feature and it worked sometimes but was never reliable.  The Mavic is obviously much better with the active track.   Add in its portability I believe it to be an aveeprall better value.

Hi fella...
Yes, you pretty much summarise it perfectly there.  Range really is a huge difference, which is why I laboured that point in the video when I'm flying both drones at the same time....  but as you say, a grand is a lot of money to throw at a hobby you're not sure about, hence the standard is a good first step.... I thought I'd sell mine when I got the Mavic but I'm happy with it in reserve
Cheers
Ian

2017-7-29
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PHL Posted at 2017-7-29 17:04
I think the video resolution of the P3 is also lower.

It is lower, but as I said, 2.7K is still way higher than a Blu-ray, and more than good enough for most people.....  
The Mavic has a 60 Mb/s bitrate compared to the Standard's 40 Mb/s

Both are the same for still pictures...  

Ian

2017-7-30
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-7-29 23:41
Hi fella...
Yes, you pretty much summarise it perfectly there.  Range really is a huge difference, which is why I laboured that point in the video when I'm flying both drones at the same time....  but as you say, a grand is a lot of money to throw at a hobby you're not sure about, hence the standard is a good first step.... I thought I'd sell mine when I got the Mavic but I'm happy with it in reserve  
Cheers

Apologies I patently skipped over the link to your video the first time so I was a bit redundant in my response...  anyway good comparison.  One question... what is the black disk on the back side of the Mavic in your comparison video?
2017-7-31
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Wellsi Posted at 2017-7-30 09:10
It is lower, but as I said, 2.7K is still way higher than a Blu-ray, and more than good enough for most people.....  
The Mavic has a 60 Mb/s bitrate compared to the Standard's 40 Mb/s

I feel that having 4k is more future proofing; are you saving money by buying cheaper, and buying again, or paying more, and having it longer?
Also gives you the flexibility to down-sample if you want, although personally I do record in 4k all the time.
2017-7-31
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MTUFLYER28 Posted at 2017-7-31 14:18
Apologies I patently skipped over the link to your video the first time so I was a bit redundant in my response...  anyway good comparison.  One question... what is the black disk on the back side of the Mavic in your comparison video?

No problem!
That disc is my Loc8tor tracker.  After losing the first Mavic over Dover, I fitted one of these:

2017-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules