Confused about the camera????
1233 16 2017-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I am only on my second day with the spark so I am learning.

One thing I have a bit of trouble with is telling when the video is recording or not.. hard to see on the phone. I assumed that when the front leds were red it was recording...
but then it seemed that was backwards?????

When I finished flying I only had one video on my phone and no still picutres.

When I got home the SD card had four still pictures and several more videos.

Whats up with that????

Lastly... I tried out the live stream to face book at that worked well.  It appeared to record the live stream to the sd card but when I stopped the video to take a few still pictures it killed the live stream and did not start it back up when I resumed video.  I suppose that is the way it is supposed to work, just had to figure that out for myself.

At one point it was not recording video, and I could not take any stills.  Could not start video recording, nothing.  I landed and changed battery and then it worked.
When I got home my PC said the sd card had some problems, so that may have been my issue. I just bought a new SD card and will give it a try.

So, can someone explain why I only had one video and no stills on my phone??

Thanks.

2017-7-29
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

The front leds off,the drone is recording.
2017-7-29
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

Lian82 Posted at 2017-7-29 13:58
The front leds off,the drone is recording.

Thanks.... that is sort of counter intuitive though :-)
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

LouisP Posted at 2017-7-29 14:01
Thanks.... that is sort of counter intuitive though :-)

It's to stop lights having a negative effect when shooting stills and video, really there could be a simple voice prompt which just says recording or recording finished.
2017-7-29
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I get a loud "ding" when recording starts and goes off ....u cant see it? What device u using ....sux!
2017-7-29
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

I never look at the lights on the spark, usually it's too far and the sun is too bright anyway.

I always look at the screen. When recording video the camera button will look different and you will see the timer going, that's your clue that you are recording. If you press the "take picture button" nothing  will happen until you first turn off the recording and switch to picture mode. Makes sense, this way you won't interrupt a video by mistake

While you will not get the same high res picture, you can capture still from a HD video. I either use my laptop for that (windows 10 has a built in function) or I import the video in the GoPro app and couture the still there.  I m sue there are other apps for that
2017-7-29
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

PascalG Posted at 2017-7-29 16:44
I never look at the lights on the spark, usually it's too far and the sun is too bright anyway.

I always look at the screen. When recording video the camera button will look different and you will see the timer going, that's your clue that you are recording. If you press the "take picture button" nothing  will happen until you first turn off the recording and switch to picture mode. Makes sense, this way you won't interrupt a video by mistake

Hmmm... I completely forgot about changing the picture mode to still.   I was using the take a photo button on the remote control... I know it took a few picturs, so I guess you don't have to change mode to take a picture with that button.

DING!  Yes I do suppose that it does, but the thing makes so many noises I am not used to what they all mean yet.
As far as not seeing that it is recording... I am using an iPhone and that little timer running under the record button is really hard to see in the sunlight.

All in all it just takes getting used to it.

I suppose my biggest question remains why are there many videos on the sd card but only one on my phone??
2017-7-29
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-29 15:22
It's to stop lights having a negative effect when shooting stills and video, really there could be a simple voice prompt which just says recording or recording finished.

Oh.. that makes sense now.
2017-7-29
Use props
fansf7fa979c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've noticed that when using the remote, if you hit the remote's video record button and you are in photo mode it will switch to video mode but not start recording until you press the button a second time. Same goes for switching back to photo mode.
2017-7-29
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Because louis u will have to download the high res videos to your phone or transfer them thru computer. What you see on your phone is the cached video or picture
2017-7-29
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

fansf7fa979c Posted at 2017-7-29 20:38
I've noticed that when using the remote, if you hit the remote's video record button and you are in photo mode it will switch to video mode but not start recording until you press the button a second time. Same goes for switching back to photo mode.

That could explain a lot!    I will check that today!   Yes.... when I thought I couldn't take pictures I may well have been hitting photo.. nothing... movie.. nothing...etc.
I was flying and not examining the screen enough to see what was happing ..

I will play with the camera while not flying to get a better feel for it.
2017-7-30
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-7-29 21:33
Because louis u will have to download the high res videos to your phone or transfer them thru computer. What you see on your phone is the cached video or picture

I will check my cache settings... I many have it set to no cache because my phone is low on memory.
2017-7-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Yes check it and let us know
2017-7-30
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
United States

THanks for the help.... I did play with the camera without flying.. should have done that before...  You are exactly right.. pressing the photo or movie buttons on the RC swithches mode with the first push and then takes a photo/movie with the second push.  Pushing the photo button while a move is recording does nothing (I don't think).  So combined with my confusing the red leds ON for recording and not knowing that two pushes were required was what had me confused.

I also had caching turned off..   I suspect that in that mode it only keeps one movie at a time on the phone.   Turned cache on and now I seem to have all the movies.

Thanks
2017-7-30
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Glad u figured it out!
2017-7-30
Use props
moh_rafiudeen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328957 ft
United States

There will be a small timer running below the record button on your phone while you are recording video. that might help you.. if you are on quickshot mode then you might not able to record video or capture a photo, you might need to change to normal mode.
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The timer may help you to check the status. Also, a sunshade or a monitor hood may be helpful to fly under bright sunshine.
2017-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules