FYI no more sat count since firmware 17 thru hdmi out
1490 13 2015-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Yep version 16 when you would hook up a monitor out off the hdmi on the TX the osd would provide a sat count...Not anymore...
Something isn't right folks plain and simple they need to address issues via this firmware a bit faster .
The longer they drag their feet the more issues happen in the field at our expense and inconvenience .

Well no sat count any more with version 17.
Come on man, what gives DJI ??
Also android pilot app doesn't offer the option to toggle the histogram IOS does..

As the owner of both tablets android and IOS this stuff is hard to keep tract of lately,and only fouls my trust in my self in Pre flight. Cant we make these apps universal or similar to a major degree or is it going to be like this for months to come.
I fear I know the answer.

Also :I'm wondering why is my tablet screen flickering as of late showing blip(nano second) images of the map while in full screen video mode...??
Never did that before I toggle a new channel and nothing blank screen ..

This could be serious as on one occasion the app deleted the TX as the master using the IOS app .
It did this all on its own!! That could be serious in flight that could be the reason for the fly offs lately.
Had to reboot the TX and aircraft then and only then I was able to get a picture back hope to see new firmware asap ! Also had to toggle the TX back to master glad I checked all fields and options .

Anyone else having this issue as of late with massive TX drop off ??Maybe something in my environment caused this but oddly the  location was the same as all my other successful testing.Hmmmm???
Keeping in mind the last several days have been heavy solar flare warning days GPS seems to lock in fine.

Tomorrow I will recheck all these issues I noticed this evening as I'm wondering is anyone else seeing this same stuff?

I have 20 days to prep for a shoot and I cant have any issues fingers crossed with hopes this was just a glitch...or should I reload the IOS app again to see if this clears things up or scrape that idea and run android as usual..
Yeah Ill do that run android as I haven't had any issue via the android app what so ever.
2015-3-24
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

This has been mentioned before ......Sat count is no use on the Inspire and you wouldn't know what you are looking at.
If you saw 8 SATs you would probably think it was okay to fly (in GPS) but you would have no idea whether it was 4 Glonass SATs and 4 Navstar stars which would make for a bad GPS experience or 6 Navstar and 2 Glonass...again, not great.
The current 'bars' give a representation of quality and HDOP/VDOP against a dual sat system where showing number of SATs is meaningless.

Unfortunately this is a hang up from the Phantom days where people treated a magic number as a security blanket.

Get comfortable with the bars and 'Safe to fly' message.... It is far more reliable than a number.
2015-3-24
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Good advice I'll trust a bit more knowing this now.

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-24 17:08
This has been mentioned before ......Sat count is no use on the Inspire and you wouldn't know what y ...

I agree it was comforting and that leads me back to my phantom days. With the inspire I used to get a sat lock with a count of 10 -17 sats when running hdmi out to my monitor felt a bit reassuring at best.Was nice getting the safe to fly and GPS lock seeing the number of sats no less.IMO more data the better .

I sure hope they go back to that universal logic to some degree. I got that data via firmware 16 not any more...Ugh.

Sure helped the confidence level when flying  but makes sense what you said Mark TY!
2015-3-24
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-24 17:13
I agree it was comforting and that leads me back to my phantom days. With the inspire I used to ge ...

Yup.... I think we all got used to seeing a number in the Phantom days and habits are hard to break

My case in point above where you say you had up to 17 SATs on your Inspire display...... Wherever you are on earth you can always see a minimum (in theory) of  four Navstar (GPS) sattelite and up to a maximum of 12 horizon to horizon. The fact you were getting a display of 17 means it was a hybrid of Navstar and Glonass but of course there was no way of telling how many of which!

Trust that display.... You'll learn to love it!  {:3_52:}
2015-3-24
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

This has been mentioned before ......Sat count is no use on the Inspire and you wouldn't know what y ...

Tell us why our phantom 1 and the p2 had almost no lose of signal and very few if any sudden drop outs almost every where I flew them , city , desert ,mountains , etc. etc. ?? , did the phantoms use the same sat system or not ? So the phantoms used navstar and glonass ? On the inspire Why did the HDMIs view show a number before the upgrade firmware , my new HDMI view shows a sat and bars , when one bar shows only it is RED , two or more bars show up white ... So number or bar seems to be telling a value , you say this is meaningless ..... Funny my phantom could show that in a number 6 to 7 it flew GPS reliably and I usually would see 12, after I gained 50 to a 100 feet  altitude or was that number also meaningless?
2015-3-24
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-24 22:53
Tell us why our phantom 1 and the p2 had almost no lose of signal and very few if any sudden drop  ...

Ohhhh, dunno......ask me one about sport!  {:3_48:}
2015-3-24
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased an HDMI small monitor specifically to see the Sat. count. Man I hate it when a plan doesn't go as I like.{:2_35:}
2015-3-24
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Weather it's four of one kind and four of the other doesn't matter to me , just how good that lock , or powerful that system is held at that moment IS really good to know at a glance that's all.
2015-3-24
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-24 18:54
Yup.... I think we all got used to seeing a number in the Phantom days and habits are hard to break ...

Whether or not the Inspire 1 pilot needs to see the satellite count is debatable.

The Horizontal Dilution of Precision (HDOP) / Vertical Dilution of Precision (VDOP) are directly related to satellite count.

Simply put: the HDOP/VDOP calculation factors in the spatial relationship of the satellites acquired/used in reference to the Inspire 1’s position and is used to calculate the bar-graph “signal quality.”

If DJI was so inclined, it shouldn’t be too hard to give both sets of data:

1)        the number of satellites used in the calculation  
2)        signal quality/bar-graph.

In general it’s better to have more data, especially with the currently buggy, glitch prone Inspire 1. For example: let’s say there’s a glitch in the signal quality bar-graph – good signal is indicated but the sat count indicates (for example) zero. That would be nice to know.

2015-3-24
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I agree with you to a point however I believe DJI are trying gto keep things simple here.

Yes, HDOP/VDOP is directly related to sat count but I believe DJI's thinking is signal quality (and ultimately accuracy) is better information to have rather than an arbitrary non identified satellite count which, for many end users, can give a false sense of security.

I do agree however, more data is better for.....SOME people!...
2015-3-24
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Guys, there's no need to fight, it's all relative.
DJI could be using letters, numbers, dashes, circles, dots, it doesn't matter, the main thing to remember is the more the better.
I understand that some of the satellites are Russian and of no use to us, but when ur seeing 6-10 sats of them you know that you have good GPS signal from at least some of our satellites, same if you have a lot of bars, dots, circles, whatever.

If people wanna bitch, then lets storm DJI about the lack of Ground Station (that was available on a model 1/3 the price).
It's absolutely retarded that there is NO ground station for I1, and Ken and Ed refuse to say ANYTHING other than call the Help line.
Good grief man, DJI makes a promo video stating specifically ground station in the works, then you have Ken telling us many months later, "they're making a new video without the mention of it". C'mon really!, instead of giving us Ground Station, ur gonna give us a new video AFTER we purchase! I read of at least 3 persons posting that ground station is the ONLY reason why they bought the I1.

I wanna go to farms and such and just tap on my screen where I want the I1 to fly so I can operate the camera, (because without a real fpv camera for the pilot, the 2nd controller is worthless cause if the camera guy has the camera, the pilot can't see diddly.

Keep your bitchin' to a minimal of subjects and maybe they will get on the ball. Bitch about everything and we will get Nothing -
2015-3-24
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-3-25 00:29
I purchased an HDMI small monitor specifically to see the Sat. count. Man I hate it when a plan does ...

Me too buddy sort of ticks me off this was removed in the Firmware 17 update...UGH.
2015-3-24
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-3-25 05:34
Guys, there's no need to fight, it's all relative.
DJI could be using letters, numbers, dashes, circ ...

Very true words ..No bitching here just an observation!

I see we as the consumers get little voice if any so keep it civil gents please not worth it iMo...
BTW screw mediocrity.

I also see many didn't know you could see a sat count if you run out to a monitor via the hdmi...Hello Mc fly............
2015-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules