Backpack for Mavic Plus Controller + CrystalSky
1751 14 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Melchionda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88720 ft
United States

Hi Folks,Does anyone have a recommendation for a backcountry full suspension backpack for carrying our drones and controllers plus other items like water and other supplies?

I often try to take my Mavic or Spark on hiking and mountain biking excursions.  I've rigged up a backpack solution to carry the drones but it doesn't work very well.

It would need to carry the following:

-Mavic or Spark
-Controller
-Crystal Sky
-Batteries
-A camel back style water bladder
-Additional room to spare of other odds and ends like wallet, keys, tools, clothing, etc.

Yes, this would be a big bag.

The national Geographic bag in the DJI store is interesting but it doesn't appear to be water proof or be able to carry a water bladder.

Putting the drones inside of a bag inside of a backpack isnt great either becuase it ends up taking a lot of time to get the drone into and out of the various bags.

Best

Sean

2017-7-30
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

eberlestock makes nice packs
2017-7-30
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

May I ask how do you attach crystalsky to the Mavic remote?
2017-7-30
Use props
Nephroghost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200456 ft
United States

I bought this backpack on Amazon and I absolutely love it. Top quality and I had my Mavic with multiple accessories, GoPro equipment, iPad Pro, laptop and some water bottles in it on my recent vacation. Worked great, fits in an overhead bin easily on an airplane and stands upright on its own due to its structure. Highly recommended! There is also a special compartment on top that I put my DSLR camera in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 9_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-7-30
Use props
VoDoXuS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88619 ft
Singapore

If you are looking at these two drones, you could really use anything you wanted? Most backpacks will fit all this with ease!

If you want compartmentalisation, you could look at the manfrotto options or I use Peak Design. I have both the Messenger and the Backpack option. Both fit the Mavic really really well. The Backpack just gives me more options for space and other items

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/bags/everyday-messenger

https://www.peakdesign.com/product/bags/everyday-backpack/
2017-7-30
Use props
Melchionda
lvl.1
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-30 08:24

I use a bracket made by FlyhighUSA.com.

2017-7-30
Use props
fans8a5cce77
lvl.1
United States

VoDoXuS Posted at 2017-7-30 17:16
If you are looking at these two drones, you could really use anything you wanted? Most backpacks will fit all this with ease!

If you want compartmentalisation, you could look at the manfrotto options or I use Peak Design. I have both the Messenger and the Backpack option. Both fit the Mavic really really well. The Backpack just gives me more options for space and other items

I came here to suggest the PD backpack.

You can get it on amazon with prime--free two-day shipping, next-day is like 8 bucks, too
2017-7-30
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-30 08:24

https://flyhighusa.com/product/m ... r-mounting-bracket/
2017-7-30
Use props
fansd77b4cd0
lvl.2
New Zealand

As has been mentioned before most backpacks would fit this with ease. I would recommend the Manfrotto Aviator D1 backpack, although it's designed for the Phantom Models, I've seen a number of people use it for the DJI Mavic. The inside is adjustable, so you can fiddle with it to make it fit a bit better. I've got the backpack myself and to be hones there's loads of room. The compartment on top fits my Sony A7ii perfecrtly, you can also fit the Crystal Sky in the laptop compartment. There's also plenty of room for batteries, other cables and tools. There's also an external tripod hook incase you have a tripod as well. The bag is pretty big but I've never experienced any issues with taking it on airplanes before either. If you want to know more about it you could check out this review.
2017-7-30
Use props
FF6022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Peak design gets my vote
2017-7-30
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

Melchionda Posted at 2017-7-30 17:33
I use a bracket made by FlyhighUSA.com.

Thanks

Crystal Sky works well?
2017-7-31
Use props
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

VoDoXuS Posted at 2017-7-30 17:16

I have the 30ml everyday and its perfect for the mavic!! I have the black hardshell protective case for my bird and RC and the Mavic fits perfectly! This pack rocks!
2017-7-31
Use props
Melchionda
lvl.1
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-31 04:15
Thanks

Crystal Sky works well?

Double post..:-(
2017-8-1
Use props
Melchionda
lvl.1
United States

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-31 04:15
Thanks

Crystal Sky works well?

Yes it works very well.  I use it on my Spark also.  I was using my iphone but I found that often when I wanted to fly I didnt have enough battery power to do a flight... or if I did, by the time the flight was over I was left with a phone at 2% battery.  So I decided to get a dedicated device.  Plus, its brighterand the battery lasts a long time.  I just had my first problem with it on Sunday though.  Mid way through a flight I got a message in the upper left corner of the screen saying that the aircraft was disconnnected. It was scary... but in reality I still had full control of the aircraft and a good video feed.  I landed the Mavic and restarted everything and I didnt have the problem on the next fligh; however I am looking out for that issue. It is more stuff to carry around though... kinda mitigates the portability factor of the Spark and the Mavic.
2017-8-1
Use props
Melchionda
lvl.1
United States

M4BMW Posted at 2017-7-31 06:08
I have the 30ml everyday and its perfect for the mavic!! I have the black hardshell protective case for my bird and RC and the Mavic fits perfectly! This pack rocks!

Thanks... yes, that was my original plan.  Get some hardshell cases for the drones, and the controller and the crystal sky and then throw them in my current backpack.  However, based on my experience taking these things on some Mountain Bike rides as well as a recent trip to Lake Tahoe I'de determined thats not idea.  The reason is that every time you want to fly you have to pull everything out of the bag, then open the individual cases, assemble everything, set up, then fly, then when done flying, break it all down and put it away again.  After a few flights I got frustrated with how long that process would take.  My goal is to have a bag that I can just open, pull the equipment out, fly it and then put it back in the bag with out a lot of extra steps.  A camera bag is probably the best solution... I need to find one that is water proof as well as provide some impact protection.
2017-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules