Yaw motor issue
1136 11 2017-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello all

Please accept my apologies if this has been covered before...but I cant find it!
I  damaged my Yaw motor on my P3S - everything worked fine but the camera  juddered as the motor was not  spinning freely (perhaps a bit of grit inside the motor itself). I  replaced it without too many issues.  However, now on powering up, the  camera immediately swings to the left end of its travel and stops there,  pointing at one of the legs instead of centralising on the axis. The  camera works fine in all aspects but even an IMU calibration and a  gimbal calibration fails to work. The camera can move freely on its yaw  axis if I push it but it immediately returns to point at the leg. I can  only think a magnet or some such has fallen out. Has anybody experienced  this before and if so, what have I done?! I have tried putting the old  motor back in to check and this centres fine so I am at a loss as to why  the new motor does not work....

Many thanks in advance

Fredzefisher
2017-7-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The only thing I can suggest is the set screw on the yaw arm is either loose or in the wrong position.
2017-7-30
Use props
Salmonman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-7-30 09:58
The only thing I can suggest is the set screw on the yaw arm is either loose or in the wrong position.

HI

thanks for replying - no, the grub screw is in the correct position and tight. I have tried two different yaw motors, both with the same effect, one new and one out of another P3. Has anyone had this before?
2017-7-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Salmonman Posted at 2017-7-30 12:41
HI

thanks for replying - no, the grub screw is in the correct position and tight. I have tried two different yaw motors, both with the same effect, one new and one out of another P3. Has anyone had this before?

Well, at this point I would look closely at the cables then.  They can be unseated on either end and it is tough to see.  Also, did you try a gimbal calibration?

2017-7-30
Use props
Salmonman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-7-30 15:24
Well, at this point I would look closely at the cables then.  They can be unseated on either end and it is tough to see.  Also, did you try a gimbal calibration?

Yup, tried the cables and IMU and gimbal calibration. The first motor works fine and the gimbal is centred, its just the two replacement motors which don't centre. It feels like there is a magnet or something detached on the actual motor which is causing the misalignment. I took the old motor out and fitted both the replacements in turn, both with the same effect of the motor turning the camera to the side as far as it could go. It actually  felt as if the motor would carry on spinning if it could rather than that it had calibrated itself off to the side in error.  After all this I then refitted the original motor which centred and calibrated perfectly....
2017-7-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We do not support to take apart or repair by your end, as it may void your warranty. I would recommend you send it in for diagnosis and repair, please refer to the link below to contact the support to start a repair case.  http://www.dji.com/support
2017-7-31
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

about the imu calibration have you crashed it lately??if yes the imu can be stuck there is a little trick if so tab on the middle iof the topcover and then power up the drone as normal and try to do the imu calibration again
2017-7-31
Use props
Salmonman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Rene Jensen Posted at 2017-7-31 02:00
about the imu calibration have you crashed it lately??if yes the imu can be stuck there is a little trick if so tab on the middle iof the topcover and then power up the drone as normal and try to do the imu calibration again

No, no crashes. IMU calibration works fine - its just two replacement motors which don't appear to find their cntral position. As I said, put the old motor in after trying the replacements and it works fine, but try the replacemt motor and it cant seem to find its correct position. I am wondering if a magnet on the yaw motor is misplaced..

Many thanks
2017-8-1
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

are you using the old esc on the new motor??and are you sure it working with it normal when you replace a motor you need to buy the esc that fit it
2017-8-1
Use props
Salmonman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Rene Jensen Posted at 2017-8-1 23:41
are you using the old esc on the new motor??and are you sure it working with it normal when you replace a motor you need to buy the esc that fit it

Sorry for my ignorance but what is an esc??! I just took the old yaw motor out and put the new one in - there did not appear to be any other parts necessary for the swap...
2017-8-2
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

its the print the motor and led iis connected to esc is electronic speed controller
2017-8-2
Use props
Salmonman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Rene Jensen Posted at 2017-8-2 05:59
its the print the motor and led iis connected to esc is electronic speed controller

Thanks... I think thats fine... I have swapped the gimbal yaw motor a few times now changing between the original which centres fine and the two others i have, neither of which do what is required. One of the motors came from another drone and one brand new from a packet but both have the same issue. However, everytime I swap the old one back in.... its works fine. I have read about revolving the collet on the gimbal yaw motor arm (is it a magnet?) but can't see why a magnet would be on the motor arm or what it would do...

Many thanks
2017-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules